Oct 4th, 2017, 11:18 pm
Fizban wrote:
rosanna1969 wrote:Fizban
Where can I find the Calibre de-DRM plug-in?
Is it easy for a person with no computer experience (me) to apply?

It's easy to install and use provided you can follow instructions. :)

I should start off by saying that this is not recognized as an official Calibre plug-in so it doesn't come up as one of the options when you click the "Get New Plugins" link in Calibre.

The link to get the latest version of the files (updated in January) is

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

This will download a zipfile to your system. Inside the zipfile are several folders depending on how you want to use the plugin - for Calibre, for Mac, for Windows, etc. Click the Readme_first.txt file initially to get started.

There is a bit of jargon but essentially it tells you to extract the calibre plugin folder to your HDD, read the textfile inside it, and follow those instructions. Then all you have to do is start Calibre and follow the instructions under "Installation" and you're done. Once it's installed, you can customize it to your own needs.

I've only worked with this program within Calibre, though there are standalone versions included in the zipfile. Anyone wanting to use those is on their own. :)

P.S. To go back to Silvermoon424 - According to the readme, the Calibre plug-in does work on both Mac and PC.

I have the Apprentice Alf DeDRM zip file and Calibre v. 2.55. When I click Preferences, Get plugins to enhance calibre, from the 'User Plugins' window...there is no way to "Load plugin from file". I have also tried to unzip the DeDRM zip file into my calibre2/plugins2 folder and that does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oct 4th, 2017, 11:18 pm

"There is more treasure in books than in all
the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."
~ Walt Disney ~
Oct 5th, 2017, 2:27 am
You're going one click too far. Click on Preferences, Plugins....bottom rightmost option will be "Load Plugins from File".

P.S. You might also want to upgrade to the latest version of Calibre - there've been a lot of bug fixes since 2.55. ;)
Oct 5th, 2017, 2:27 am

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Jan 21st, 2018, 3:11 pm
I'm having trouble w/ Calibre and de-DRM on Linux. I have a DRM epub, which I acftually purchased, that I can't seem to get working on my desktop. :(
Jan 21st, 2018, 3:11 pm
May 16th, 2018, 11:53 pm
can someone help me remove DRM from one book I purchased from Australian amazon? nothing seem to work
May 16th, 2018, 11:53 pm
Jun 9th, 2018, 5:12 am
I can't seem to get DeDRM by Apprentice Alf to work....
Anyone know of any alternatives? I bought two books and i'd like to have copies of them without DRM.
Jun 9th, 2018, 5:12 am
Feb 1st, 2019, 12:14 am
If you use Calibre with the Apprentice Alf plugin to remove DRM protection from Amazon / Kindle ebook purchases, you may find it no longer works for you. This is probably because the books have the new Kindle KFX format. Amazon has claimed that there are around 100,000 eBooks on their website which are in the new KFX format.

Here is a solution to the problem:

1. Check your version of Kindle for PC. If it is Version 1.17 your should not be having this problem, but to make sure you do not in the future, go to Tools > Options > General and UNTICK "Automatically install updates when they are available without asking me".

2. If you have version 1.19 or later, you need to uninstall it and install version 1.17.

3. You can download Kindle for PC 1.17 at

Code: Select allhttp://filehippo.com/download_kindle_for_pc/69970/

4. Open version 1.17, go to Tools > Options > General and UNTICK "Automatically install updates when they are available without asking me".

5. Find your "My Kindle Content" folder, and delete any recent Kindle ebooks you are unable to de-DRM in Calibre, and delete those ebooks (they may be in their own folders, so these folders should also be deleted).

6. Open Calibre, and delete (remove) these same books (which can be identified in the 'title' column with an name that has a format like B00ROOO75E_EBOK.azw with some combination of letters and numbers in the middle part of the filename).

7. Go to Kindle for PC and re-download any books you deleted in "My Kindle Content" and "Calibre". They should appear in the Library screen, so you need to click on each problematic book again to re-download it.

8. Close and reopen your "My Kindle Content" folder and you should see these books appear again (without being in their own containing folders)

9. Drag each of these books into Calibre again, and they should now appear in the Caliblre title column with their correct title etc.

10. As Calibre, equipped with the Apprentice Alf plugin, automatically removes DRM protection when an ebook is dragged into Calibre, life should now have returned to normal.
Feb 1st, 2019, 12:14 am

Please PM me if links are dead, and I will do my best to refresh them.
Feb 3rd, 2019, 2:57 pm
Thank you for the advice auswombat! So far this hasn't been a problem but I rolled my Kindle for PC back to 1.17 just to be safe. :)
Feb 3rd, 2019, 2:57 pm
Feb 3rd, 2019, 5:25 pm
Just as a reminder: Make sure you change the settings in Kindle to NOT automatically update or it will just undo that rollback you made.
Feb 3rd, 2019, 5:25 pm

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Feb 4th, 2019, 9:31 pm
Fizban wrote:Just as a reminder: Make sure you change the settings in Kindle to NOT automatically update or it will just undo that rollback you made.

Done the day I rolled back. I also saved the advice to a text file to remind me WHY I did it. :)
Feb 4th, 2019, 9:31 pm
Apr 3rd, 2020, 8:16 am
Silvermoon424 wrote:I'm having trouble finding a free DRM removal service. So far, I've found two pieces of software (eBook DRM removal and Kindle DRM removal, but both only offer a demo that has a small amount of eBooks it can convert before you have to pay quite a bit of money for the full version. I've also tried using Calibre, but it's unable to export anything due to the DRM protection. I tried to convert the actual file stored in the Calibre library but, again, I can't do anything because of the DRM.

I would really rather not pay $15 or $30 for a service if I can get it for free, so I'm really hoping that someone has an alternative they can offer me.

Also, I use a Mac, so I would appreciate it if people only recommended software/websites/etc that my OS can use.

good
Apr 3rd, 2020, 8:16 am