Nov 15th, 2019, 7:53 pm
I am looking to replace my Kindle. I have a 3rd gen Kindle Fire. I've tried newer models, but I have issues with Amazon as a company and hate how the model I tried just kept pushing everything Amazon.

I am hoping to find a different e-reader or tablet set up to replace my Kindle. I want to avoid apple products and can't spend a ton of money. I already use Calibre and would prefer a tablet set up over a e-reader only.

Any suggestions?
Nov 15th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Nov 22nd, 2019, 8:05 pm
starfrog wrote:I am looking to replace my Kindle. I have a 3rd gen Kindle Fire. I've tried newer models, but I have issues with Amazon as a company and hate how the model I tried just kept pushing everything Amazon.

I am hoping to find a different e-reader or tablet set up to replace my Kindle. I want to avoid apple products and can't spend a ton of money. I already use Calibre and would prefer a tablet set up over a e-reader only.

Any suggestions?

yep! Im in love with my kobo aura h2o edition 2! its not expensive, kees getting updates. it reads a bangload of formats. if you have a lot of book in calibre in amazon format, calibre takes care of that by converting to epub. plus its waterproof just in case, and it has some lighting magic so you not hurt your eyes.
heck it out!
Nov 22nd, 2019, 8:05 pm
Dec 13th, 2019, 1:58 pm
I would suggest going for the Kobo Clara HD or Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 if you are USA based.

If you are EU based go for Pocketbook Touch HD 3.
Dec 13th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Dec 27th, 2020, 8:27 pm
For A more tablet set up why not go with a samsung galaxy tab?
I've heard nothing but good things and love samsung products personally.
Dec 27th, 2020, 8:27 pm
Jan 1st, 2021, 6:12 pm
I'm currently using a Kobo Libra H20, but have used several other models and loved them all. Kobo + Calibre is where it's at.

But if low price and tablet are your preference, and time and tinkering aren't an obstacle, perhaps a jail-broken Amazon Fire tablet? (one last Amazon purchase and then let the door hit them on the way out). Nothing wrong with a Galaxy tablet, but they are $$$ compared with even a high-end e-reader.
Jan 1st, 2021, 6:12 pm
Jan 1st, 2021, 10:07 pm
I like the Samsung Galaxy Tablet. Install Moon Reader Pro+. Get a decent size SD chip. You can read and store googobs of books, play games, email, web internet work. Install good office type app, all in one. Only downside for me is use of Tablet in bright sunlight.
Jan 1st, 2021, 10:07 pm