Jun 27th, 2014, 12:20 am
Eros wrote:How do I recover a deleted post and draft?

If the draft was deleted then you can't, at least with an ordinary set-up.*

If the draft was saved and the post deleted, you can find it here:
ucp.php?i=main&mode=drafts

* If this was vital (or even if it wasn't), then I'd use it as a wake-up call and install something like Lazarus:
http://getlazarus.com

I've been using it a while and it has saved my ass dozens of times - one of the best plug-ins I have, after ad-blockers.
Jun 27th, 2014, 12:20 am

Links dead? Need re-up? PM me.

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is Lost Carcosa.
Jun 27th, 2014, 4:16 am
Carcosa, you share the greatest tips.

This is the second time today you've posted something about a terrific utility or plugin that I'd not heard of before. Installed both (that KindleUnpack plugin for Calibre and the Lazarus browser extension) and now happily benefiting from them.

Thank you so much!
Jun 27th, 2014, 4:16 am
Jun 27th, 2014, 4:50 am
McJalm wrote:Carcosa, you share the greatest tips.

This is the second time today you've posted something about a terrific utility or plugin that I'd not heard of before. Installed both (that KindleUnpack plugin for Calibre and the Lazarus browser extension) and now happily benefiting from them.

Thank you so much!

No worries, glad to help and, as much as I'm pleased with KindleUnpack, I still love Lazarus more - if you are still using Web forums and blogging (rather than tweeting and sexting each other on apps, like them young 'uns do these days - shakes fist at the young 'uns, their crappy music and asymmetric haircuts), then you need Lazarus. Just wait for the first time you stare in the screen in frustration as the Internet eats you beautifully composed prose and then you realise that Lazarus will bring it back from the dead and BOOM it all reappears onscreen. As if by magic.
Jun 27th, 2014, 4:50 am

Jun 27th, 2014, 9:23 pm
Carcosa wrote:If the draft was deleted then you can't, at least with an ordinary set-up.*

Ah, that's plain unfortunate for me then.... :oops:
I'll give Lazarus a try. Thanks Carcosa! :D
Jun 27th, 2014, 9:23 pm
Jun 27th, 2014, 10:47 pm
Eros wrote:
Carcosa wrote:If the draft was deleted then you can't, at least with an ordinary set-up.*

Ah, that's plain unfortunate for me then.... :oops:

The only other option would be, if the browser window was open, you could go back and see if the browser had cached it in the session, but I assume that isn't really an option - it would usually work right at the time it all goes wrong.

Eros wrote:I'll give Lazarus a try. Thanks Carcosa! :D

You won't regret it :D
Jun 27th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Jul 1st, 2014, 11:10 pm
I've been contacted by someone having memory problems with Lazarus. If restarting (which would fix memory leaks) or tweaking the settings doesn't work, then there are alternatives, like:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/textarea-cache/

Carcosa wrote:If the draft was deleted then you can't, at least with an ordinary set-up.

Turns out this isn't strictly true.

If you haven't installed Lazarus and you haven't closed down your browser (Firefox or Chrome) then this should work:
http://superuser.com/a/236400

In Windows, it relies on using Task Manager (right click on the taskbar and select "Start Task Manager") to create a dump file that you can then go through and find the missing text. It is hassle, but if you really need the text, it can be dug out.
Jul 1st, 2014, 11:10 pm