Sep 5th, 2012, 8:22 pm
Has anyone read this? or know anything about it? I've heard that HBO are making a series.
Sep 5th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Sep 9th, 2012, 2:10 am
I wonder how they are going to try and translate this novel to TV. This is not one story, it's a series of stories and not all of them make a lot of sense, until you read the whole novel. Gods looking for revenge, men looking for God, a man looking for murderers and a whole nation looking for answers. Neil Gaiman is half mad, I think. But the prose is magic.

I just can't see that on a TV. Maybe if they made it as a mini-series, like "The Pillars of The Earth". With Steven Mofatt and Andrew Davies writing and producing. :)
Sep 9th, 2012, 2:10 am

Image Image
Sep 9th, 2012, 2:33 pm
My husband is reading the book now..and I think you're right...this guy is half mad!lmao!! It's not that eventful of a story and I think my husband is just about ready to give it up..cause it doesnt seem to be going anywhere... There's no point me even starting it cause I need to be entertained from start to finish and i just know i would get bored with this one.

It makes me wonder how HBO choose the programs they're going to make...I mean there are so many other good things they could do...where do they did this stuff up from?
Sep 9th, 2012, 2:33 pm

Sep 26th, 2012, 12:23 am
The so-called sequel "Anansi Boys" is even better (;
Sep 26th, 2012, 12:23 am
Sep 26th, 2012, 3:03 pm
I liked Anansi Boys than American Gods as well. Overall, Good Omens is my favorite.
Sep 26th, 2012, 3:03 pm
Sep 30th, 2012, 10:13 pm
I also enjoyed Anansi Boys more than American Gods. Funny how that happens
Sep 30th, 2012, 10:13 pm
Oct 3rd, 2012, 9:32 am
zackddog wrote:I wonder how they are going to try and translate this novel to TV. This is not one story, it's a series of stories and not all of them make a lot of sense, until you read the whole novel. Gods looking for revenge, men looking for God, a man looking for murderers and a whole nation looking for answers. Neil Gaiman is half mad, I think. But the prose is magic.

I just can't see that on a TV. Maybe if they made it as a mini-series, like "The Pillars of The Earth". With Steven Mofatt and Andrew Davies writing and producing. :)

Apparently the idea is that the first season will be the first book. There have been rumors of 6 seasons, but unconfirmed. I know that Gaiman is writing a sequel to the book and that he's writing the script for the pilot, which is good :D I hope he's very involved in the project. He also said that it won't be exactly the same as the book, as he wanted to surprise the readers as well.

But yes, it is a strange sort of story for a TV show. :) Perhaps it will rely in part on atmosphere, like the book does. And I guess the whole theme of the series will be the Gods, their conflict, their troubles, people not believing, the rise of the new gods, etc. Which sounds good but, again, it will be unusual for a HBO show. The types of personalities the Gods have are somewhat different from regular people. It will be interesting to see how will that work here. And also, how will the magic look on screen :)

@ for everybody wanting to read the book: I recommend finding the "Author's Preferred Text" version. I haven't read the other 2 versions, but I think it's worth trying the one which the author prefers :) And Anansi Boys is also a very good book, but it's not related to American Gods. Even the character they share, Anansi, is different :)
Oct 3rd, 2012, 9:32 am
Jan 15th, 2014, 6:14 pm
American Gods is one of my all time favourites, if you enjoyed it try "someplace to be flying" by Charles De Lint
Jan 15th, 2014, 6:14 pm
Jan 16th, 2014, 1:06 pm
Picked this up in my local library last December based only on the fact that Gaiman is a vocal supporter of public libraries. Had no idea what type of book sit was or what to expect.

Loved it.

The whole balance of using mythology in the real world and then incorporating that concept into real world items (to create "real world gods") was genius. I also liked the fact that Gaiman wrote this book whilst road tripping around America. You get a real sense of travel from the narrative bolstered by the fact that he himself travelled the routes described.

Great book.
Jan 16th, 2014, 1:06 pm
Feb 6th, 2014, 6:08 am
I have read American Gods 5-6 times... It is one of my favorite books. But I love the creation of a new mythology and the philosophy of it. If you are looking for a ton of action, its not going to give it to you. Good Omens and Anansi boys were amazing as well. I adore Neil Gaiman.... his new book Ocean at the End of the Lane is stellar too.
I am really excited for American Gods to be made into a show, but HBO sold it recently to another network. The way Neil Gaiman talks about the script, it sounds like he is going to expand on the universe. He said he is writing it so that if you have already read the book, you would still be surprised about what happens. But it has been in the works forrrever and its to the point where I wonder if it will ever finally happen.
Feb 6th, 2014, 6:08 am
Jun 28th, 2014, 4:59 pm
Hi,

Any chance you might re-post the link to Neil Gaiman's American Gods? The rapidshare link is no longer valid...

Thanks!
best

merry60 wrote:Link removed. Book posted here: viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=497026
Jun 28th, 2014, 4:59 pm
Apr 26th, 2017, 10:26 pm
mirishka wrote:My husband is reading the book now..and I think you're right...this guy is half mad!lmao!! It's not that eventful of a story and I think my husband is just about ready to give it up..cause it doesnt seem to be going anywhere... There's no point me even starting it cause I need to be entertained from start to finish and i just know i would get bored with this one.

It makes me wonder how HBO choose the programs they're going to make...I mean there are so many other good things they could do...where do they did this stuff up from?

What a terribly depressing post.
Apr 26th, 2017, 10:26 pm

We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.
May 16th, 2017, 2:36 pm
Just finished episode 3, I am thoroughly enjoying it.
May 16th, 2017, 2:36 pm
May 18th, 2017, 7:43 am
mirishka wrote:My husband is reading the book now..and I think you're right...this guy is half mad!lmao!! It's not that eventful of a story and I think my husband is just about ready to give it up..cause it doesnt seem to be going anywhere... There's no point me even starting it cause I need to be entertained from start to finish and i just know i would get bored with this one.

I've seen the first three episodes now, and I actually like the show quite a bit. I don't think a person's reaction to source material like a novel is always an accurate indication of how well they'll like an adaptation, especially if the material is being translated into something like a TV series. There are, by necessity, bound to be a lot of changes made between one medium and the next.

Given how much I like the show so far, I'd recommend at least giving the first episode a chance before deciding not to watch it.
May 18th, 2017, 7:43 am