May 10th, 2018, 6:30 pm
The stork tower series by Tony Corden.

I'll also appreciate recommendations to similar books (with a strong female main character of course)
May 10th, 2018, 6:30 pm
May 12th, 2018, 4:13 pm
jerryloncey wrote:The stork tower series by Tony Corden.

I'll also appreciate recommendations to similar books (with a strong female main character of course)

I know right.. It's awesome... :)
If you are open for suggestions that are other than litrpg, check out evan Currie's books... They are mostly sci fi, zero romance, strong female character, lots of fights, sneaky moves... You get the idea...

As For suggestions in litrpg section, even I am searching for it....if you find anything interesting, do let me know... :)
May 12th, 2018, 4:13 pm
May 12th, 2018, 8:32 pm
Catch22filly wrote:

If you are open for suggestions that are other than litrpg, check out evan Currie's books... They are mostly sci fi, zero romance, strong female character, lots of fights, sneaky moves... You get the idea...

As For suggestions in litrpg section, even I am searching for it....if you find anything interesting, do let me know... :)

There are a number of LitRPG books with female main characters.

The side novel Retribution in the Awaken Online series by Travis Bagwell has a female main character. Though you may get more out of it if you read the rest of the series first (first book is Catharsis, main character is male). I like the series. An interesting take on allying with the dark side, and the next book of the Awaken Online series should be out in a few weeks(Evolution), since it is currently in editing. And then that will be followed by another side novel (Apathy) with another female main character, I think. The side novel Retribution is volume 2.5 in the series, so chronologically between Precipice and Evolution, elevating one of the major characters in the series to a main character of her own book.

Mitigating Risk by Blaise Corvin in the Nora Hazard series (which is a spinoff of the Delvers LLC series) also has a female main character. You don't need to have read the Delvers LLC series first, but you might be missing some of the world and magical system stuff (as well as a cameo or two). Be warned that the Delvers LLC series is centered around two male protagonists transported to a world where women vastly outnumber men and most men have multiple wives to address the gender gap, so there is a slight harem vibe (which the guys from Earth resist since they come from a culture of monogamy). Corvin took a break from that series to write the Nora Hazard trilogy from the perspective of a woman in that matriarchal society where females are the dominant sex who control society because of their numbers and men are sheltered and kept mostly for breeding and regarded as the weaker sex. He plans to merge the storylines of Delvers LLC and Nora Hazard after the end of the Nora Hazard Trilogy.

Temple of Sorrows in the Stonehaven League series by Carrie Summers has a female main character. It is one of the few books that have both a female main character and base building mechanics.

The recent The Renegades, book one of The Bard from Barliona series by Vasily Mahanenko, has a female main character. It is a spinoff series of his Way of the Shaman series (where the main character of The Bard from Barliona first appeared). It is a translated work from Russian. As is typical of the wave of Russian works translated into English that started the LitRPG genre in English, the Russian writers tend to have weak female characters, often sexism/misogyny/homophobia. Perhaps his new spinoff series with a female main character is an attempt to change that. His female characters were nothing to write home about in Way of the Shaman, but it seems to have gotten slightly better with the main character being female this time around. (Read Russian writers for gaming mechanics, not for gender equality in LitRPG).

On that note, despite a Russian-sounding name, Luke Chmilenko is a Canadian writer of Ukrainian descent and not part of that early wave of Russian translations, so his Ascend Online series has a nice ensemble group that includes better written female characters even though the main protagonist is male. I like it. Probably doesn't fit your criteria of the main character being female, though.

The web serial The Wandering Inn by Pirateaba, which I haven't read but have heard much about, has a female main character. It is updated twice a week and free to read, I believe. Patreon supporters get the most recent installments; everyone else is one week behind and reads for free. It seems to be highly regarded. She must be doing something right since people are paying her a lot of money each month on Patreon (currently around $3.5k a month in donations if I'm not mistaken).

I believe the ongoing Japanese webnovel I'm a Spider, So What? has a female main character. There are various translations on the web of differing quality. I haven't read this yet either, though I will probably check it out at some point just to see how the LitRPG genre is developing in Asia. My understanding is that one of the translations that does a better job with idioms (but doesn't have as many chapters translated as versions from other translators on the web) is located at:
http://blastron01.tumblr.com/kumoko-contents

Another LitRPG book I haven't read yet that has a female main character is Luckless in the Second Age of Retha series by A.M. Sohma (a pseudonym of an author who also publishes under her other more established pen name K.M. Shea). I haven't read it yet, but it is on the pile. Goodreads doesn't rate it very high, and it seems to be more towards the light-hearted humor bent. Her stuff under her K.M. Shea pseudonym seems to be humorous romances based on fairytales.

There is a series with a transgendered main character, but I will leave it out since I'm not sure if it fits your request for a female main character (and the revelation is a spoiler). And besides, I wouldn't recommend it since I'm in the second book in the series and considering dropping it (not because of LGBT stuff but because the writing style is starting to become too expository and boring).

As you can tell, I'm currently in the middle of a LitRPG binge, lol. The vast majority have male main characters and don't fit your criteria. Of the stuff mentioned in this post, I like Awaken Online and Ascend Online the most. The former for the exploration of being an anti-hero siding with the Dark God, the latter for very balanced writing (avoiding becoming too overpowered too early).

Outside LitRPG, I enjoyed the Odyssey One series by Evan Currie, but it certainly did not have a fenale main character. The writing is flimsy compared to Lois McMaster Bujold in the space opera genre. Seriously, try her out. Extremely nuanced characterization and character growth. Witty prose with wry humor that will make you laugh out loud and pathos that can bring you to sobbing combined. Her Vorkosigan series is the epitome of the military space opera genre. Very strong female as well as male characters, nuanced and well-rounded. Evan Currie doesn't hold a candle to her. Currie can't make you laugh out loud or cry the way she can.
May 12th, 2018, 8:32 pm
May 23rd, 2018, 6:21 pm
Ohh ya....
Just recently came across another series in litrpg thats worth reading.
"Endless online " by M. H Johnson.
I am reading it second time in last two days..
May 23rd, 2018, 6:21 pm
May 25th, 2018, 7:23 pm
Just finished the Threadbare trilogy by Andrew Seiple. Absolutely adorable. A LitRPG where the protagonist is a toy teddy bear golem.

Think of Winnie-the-Pooh inserted into Toy Story, where he can only rescue his human girl and save the world by leveling up into a badass necromancer leading a golem army against a demonic invasion.

Just a very heartwarming story, which you wouldn't expect in this genre. It was fun. Many laugh out loud moments when you juxtapose the naive teddy bear toy golem with his snarky side-kicks. And some of the classes and skills available are absolutely hilarious.
May 25th, 2018, 7:23 pm
Aug 15th, 2018, 7:01 pm
tourier wrote:
Catch22filly wrote:

There are a number of LitRPG books with female main characters.

The side novel Retribution in the Awaken Online series by Travis Bagwell has a female main character. Though you may get more out of it if you read the rest of the series first (first book is Catharsis, main character is male). I like the series. An interesting take on allying with the dark side, and the next book of the Awaken Online series should be out in a few weeks(Evolution), since it is currently in editing. And then that will be followed by another side novel (Apathy) with another female main character, I think. The side novel Retribution is volume 2.5 in the series, so chronologically between Precipice and Evolution, elevating one of the major characters in the series to a main character of her own book.

Mitigating Risk by Blaise Corvin in the Nora Hazard series (which is a spinoff of the Delvers LLC series) also has a female main character. You don't need to have read the Delvers LLC series first, but you might be missing some of the world and magical system stuff (as well as a cameo or two). Be warned that the Delvers LLC series is centered around two male protagonists transported to a world where women vastly outnumber men and most men have multiple wives to address the gender gap, so there is a slight harem vibe (which the guys from Earth resist since they come from a culture of monogamy). Corvin took a break from that series to write the Nora Hazard trilogy from the perspective of a woman in that matriarchal society where females are the dominant sex who control society because of their numbers and men are sheltered and kept mostly for breeding and regarded as the weaker sex. He plans to merge the storylines of Delvers LLC and Nora Hazard after the end of the Nora Hazard Trilogy.

Temple of Sorrows in the Stonehaven League series by Carrie Summers has a female main character. It is one of the few books that have both a female main character and base building mechanics.

The recent The Renegades, book one of The Bard from Barliona series by Vasily Mahanenko, has a female main character. It is a spinoff series of his Way of the Shaman series (where the main character of The Bard from Barliona first appeared). It is a translated work from Russian. As is typical of the wave of Russian works translated into English that started the LitRPG genre in English, the Russian writers tend to have weak female characters, often sexism/misogyny/homophobia. Perhaps his new spinoff series with a female main character is an attempt to change that. His female characters were nothing to write home about in Way of the Shaman, but it seems to have gotten slightly better with the main character being female this time around. (Read Russian writers for gaming mechanics, not for gender equality in LitRPG).

On that note, despite a Russian-sounding name, Luke Chmilenko is a Canadian writer of Ukrainian descent and not part of that early wave of Russian translations, so his Ascend Online series has a nice ensemble group that includes better written female characters even though the main protagonist is male. I like it. Probably doesn't fit your criteria of the main character being female, though.

The web serial The Wandering Inn by Pirateaba, which I haven't read but have heard much about, has a female main character. It is updated twice a week and free to read, I believe. Patreon supporters get the most recent installments; everyone else is one week behind and reads for free. It seems to be highly regarded. She must be doing something right since people are paying her a lot of money each month on Patreon (currently around $3.5k a month in donations if I'm not mistaken).

I believe the ongoing Japanese webnovel I'm a Spider, So What? has a female main character. There are various translations on the web of differing quality. I haven't read this yet either, though I will probably check it out at some point just to see how the LitRPG genre is developing in Asia. My understanding is that one of the translations that does a better job with idioms (but doesn't have as many chapters translated as versions from other translators on the web) is located at:
http://blastron01.tumblr.com/kumoko-contents

Another LitRPG book I haven't read yet that has a female main character is Luckless in the Second Age of Retha series by A.M. Sohma (a pseudonym of an author who also publishes under her other more established pen name K.M. Shea). I haven't read it yet, but it is on the pile. Goodreads doesn't rate it very high, and it seems to be more towards the light-hearted humor bent. Her stuff under her K.M. Shea pseudonym seems to be humorous romances based on fairytales.

There is a series with a transgendered main character, but I will leave it out since I'm not sure if it fits your request for a female main character (and the revelation is a spoiler). And besides, I wouldn't recommend it since I'm in the second book in the series and considering dropping it (not because of LGBT stuff but because the writing style is starting to become too expository and boring).

As you can tell, I'm currently in the middle of a LitRPG binge, lol. The vast majority have male main characters and don't fit your criteria. Of the stuff mentioned in this post, I like Awaken Online and Ascend Online the most. The former for the exploration of being an anti-hero siding with the Dark God, the latter for very balanced writing (avoiding becoming too overpowered too early).

Outside LitRPG, I enjoyed the Odyssey One series by Evan Currie, but it certainly did not have a fenale main character. The writing is flimsy compared to Lois McMaster Bujold in the space opera genre. Seriously, try her out. Extremely nuanced characterization and character growth. Witty prose with wry humor that will make you laugh out loud and pathos that can bring you to sobbing combined. Her Vorkosigan series is the epitome of the military space opera genre. Very strong female as well as male characters, nuanced and well-rounded. Evan Currie doesn't hold a candle to her. Currie can't make you laugh out loud or cry the way she can.

I'm sorry for not replying earlier just lost track a bit. I value your suggestions, a lot. You touched on the kind of books I love. Actually I like Evan Currie's Hayden War series more that competitor(Lois) you mentioned. The Synopsis oher books say they are male protagonist except for the first book in the series. I dont read any of Evan's books with male protagonist. I'll appreciate more suggestions if you don't mind. Loren K. Jones just finished the second book of a series(mountainstand series) that I'm loving, check it out. And I don't mind LGBTQ as long as it's favouring the female. Thank you very much.
Aug 15th, 2018, 7:01 pm
Aug 28th, 2018, 10:20 pm
Here's a brief list of litrpg books, subdivided according to the country genre they were published from:

Russian
Play to live
Shaman series
Mirror World
Fayroll series

Chinese
Zhan Long
Reincarnation of the Strongest Sword God
MMORPG: Rebirth of the Legendary Guardian
Shura's Wrath

Japanese
The New Gate
Tensei Shitara Suraimu Datta Ken (That Time I was Reincarnated as a Slime)
A middle-aged man's VRMMO log
.hack//cell

Korean
Legendary Moonlight Sculptor
Ark
Dusk Howler
The Gamer (this is a manhua).
Aug 28th, 2018, 10:20 pm
Sep 14th, 2018, 1:02 pm
yonkyunior wrote:awaken online.. try it, the best mix of west and east taste vrmmo

maybe you can try asian litrpg, Chinese webnovel and Korean.
i like LMS, Ark, All by Mars Gravity, Overgeared,

=======================
if you go west, then it takes a long time to return to east, and the other.

Also one Korean series that I loved is Praise the Orc, really good with charactere development and funny as well.
Sep 14th, 2018, 1:02 pm
Jul 12th, 2020, 8:43 am
Been almost 2 years since the last post and I'm in the midst of a litrpg binge right now so was hoping someone could suggest something published in the last 2 years. I realize most people will suggest those already on this thread, but I'm hoping to find something no one else has come up with yet. So, if possible, try to keep it to more recent offerings. Thanks!
Jul 12th, 2020, 8:43 am
Jul 14th, 2020, 7:17 am
Just to get things started, here are a few of the more recent ones I've enjoyed.

Eric Ugland's The Good Guys series, 10 books so far. I found the early books highly enjoyable and while the last few haven't quite lived up to the first few, it's still a solid series. It has its issues, but worth giving it a shot. He also has a Bad Guys series set in the same world, but I haven't ready any of those yet.

Ryan Rimmels's Noobtown books, 3 so far. It too has issues, but is pretty good fun. I love the smartass shoulder-demon the MC is saddled with.

Tom Larcombe's Light Online, again 3 books so far. The MC is focused on business opportunities, but there's enough combat to scratch that itch as well. Highly recommended.

C. M. Carney's 6 (so far) book series The Realms. Enjoyed the first few, especially the third one, but is a bit repetitive and I'm sorry to say I lost interest in the middle of the sixth book.
Jul 14th, 2020, 7:17 am
Sep 1st, 2020, 2:53 pm
​Hi, sorry to say but had been but busy last two years.
Though, not too busy reading books, which I found time to read by cutting short my night sleep.
Also, sometimes when I tried to update here via browser it used to throw errors, and I wasn't so keen on trying to resolve them
Sep 1st, 2020, 2:53 pm
Sep 1st, 2020, 2:55 pm
Hmm, finally found out what the issue was.
Seems like it can't handle normal Smiley's.

Wellll... at least the post are getting sent so that's a plus I guess...
Sep 1st, 2020, 2:55 pm
Sep 1st, 2020, 3:01 pm
As for update from me:
-well m.h. Johnson silver fox series is good.
@jag23 you should try Arthur stones books if you haven't.
All of his series are good at least I liked them.
The respawn series start was bit chaotic, but later it picked up speed.
His noob series and dark series both are good.
Then again I am biased and maybe sleep deprived..so you can judge for yourself.lol.

Lately read Tao wongs series first series. It's okay. Once you get the hang of the style.
Ohhh.. and Michael chatfields recent 10realms series.
I liked it... One read will definitely not bore you.
Though I did go for reread at least twice more..like I said..biased. so give it a try.
Sep 1st, 2020, 3:01 pm
Sep 1st, 2020, 3:08 pm
@jag23: Then there is Michael atamanovs reality bender series.
I can't say it will totally fall under litrpg.
But ,I liked it. Till now I think 6 books are out.
Check it out.
Sep 1st, 2020, 3:08 pm