Dec 9th, 2018, 3:36 am
I'm looking for series (preferably at least 3 books) that have great character development... The kind where you miss the characters when you finish reading it. I prefer 20th century settings, or fantasy settings where people speak in modern English.

I have a fondness for Urban Fantasy (without too much romance). My favorite series is The Hollows by Kim Harrison, because I really fell in love with the whole gang!

Another great example is the Gentlemen Bastard series by Scott Lynch (starts with The Lies of Locke Lamora), or the Dark Tower series by Stephen King

I really appreciate your recommendations!!!
Dec 9th, 2018, 3:36 am
Dec 9th, 2018, 8:56 pm
I'd recommend Anne Bishop's The Others series. The character development isn't the best, but I LOVE the series and read it four or five times a year. I just can't let go of Meg. There is some romance but very, very little sex.
Dec 9th, 2018, 8:56 pm
Dec 10th, 2018, 2:19 am
Not part of a series: The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would definitely be happy for a sequel to be written.
Dec 10th, 2018, 2:19 am
Dec 10th, 2018, 3:13 am
Anything with Hercule Poirot. Agatha Christie's originals and the latest by Sophie Hannah.
Dec 10th, 2018, 3:13 am
Dec 10th, 2018, 4:37 pm
Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy. Don't be put off by them being categorized as young adult. They are intricately plotted and beautifully written, with superb world- and character building. There are laugh-out-loud moments aplenty, but at the same time the story gets darker and more intense with each book - and quite alarmingly so.
Dec 10th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Dec 11th, 2018, 1:39 pm
I concur with The Others series by Anne Bishop. I really liked Simon, Meg and Blair... The Six Of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo. Cherie Priest's Hellbent and Bloodshot. Soulwood series by Faith Hunter. Amaranthine Saga by Forthright. Damned and Cursed series by Glenn Bullion. Hidden Legacy by Ilona Andrews. Do you mind space opera, sci-fi? The Linesman series and Stars Uncharted by S.K. Dunstall has very likeable characters too. Innkeeper series by Ilona Andrews. Also Ancilliary Justice series by Ann Leckie, a bit dark and slow but good. Steampunk-ish, The Iron Jackal series by Chris Wooding.
Dec 11th, 2018, 1:39 pm
Feb 5th, 2019, 10:39 am
I just got through with a wonderful alt history of WWII by Michael Grant. The series consists of Front Lines, Silver Stars and Purple Hearts.
Feb 5th, 2019, 10:39 am
Mar 29th, 2019, 4:52 am
For Urban Fantasy, have you tried the Good Intentions series by Elliott Kay? Very likeable cast. Some great character moments.

Or try Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series if you don't mind science fiction and space opera. Tons of character development over the span of the series. Not just of the main characters, but also the side characters and even locations and settings.

For instance, one location is portrayed as run-down, rife with prostitutes, and dangerous criminal elements in one book, the site of gun battles during a civil war. In another book set three decades later, it is portrayed as a trendy upscale shopping district, reflecting the civil reconstruction that has happened over the intervening years since the war.

Support characters who are youngsters in one book, become responsible adults with careers and kids in another book, and then retired grandparents in yet another book. And Bujold does a good job of showing the changes and character growth. Part of the beauty of the series. The characters are mentally different as they grow and outgrow their old selves.
Mar 29th, 2019, 4:52 am
Mar 29th, 2019, 5:28 am
[quote="tourier"]For Urban Fantasy, have you tried the Good Intentions series by Elliott Kay? Very likeable cast. Some great character moments.

{Read the series description, off to get 'em. Thanks!}
Mar 29th, 2019, 5:28 am

Use this. It's free. https://www.libraryextension.com/
A link to my family's fiction wishlist is posted in my profile.
Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
No PDFs, PDF conversions or archive.org scans (I can get those myself).
Jun 27th, 2019, 8:58 pm
I’m still feeling the loss of Terry Pratchett's Discworld characters.
Namely Granny Weatherwax and the Guards series.
Hurts all the more for knowing there will be no more new stories coming.
Jun 27th, 2019, 8:58 pm
Jul 31st, 2019, 5:24 pm
I miss, miss, miss my dragons from g.a aiken ! They were like family members
Jul 31st, 2019, 5:24 pm
Sep 30th, 2019, 12:13 am
Phantom by Susan Kay. It's one of my all-time favorite books and I don't even like Phantom of the Opera. It goes so much deeper and is so much more involved. The main character is intriguing and revolting all at the same time. He's horrible and yet you love him and feel so much sympathy for him as he struggles through his twisted existence. If you ever run across it, definitely give it a read!
Sep 30th, 2019, 12:13 am

Made it another day. Guess we did something right.
Sep 30th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Pretty much every character from an N.K. Jemisin novel, but especially the Broken Earth trilogy. More like broken heart, am I right? Huh?
Sep 30th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Oct 11th, 2019, 7:10 pm
Reflecting back over the years and all the books/series I've read... the cast of characters I missed most when the series ended were those in the Burke series by Andrew Vachss...

I also miss the those from the Blaine McCracken series by Jon Land although I do enjoy those in his current Caitlin Strong series.
Oct 11th, 2019, 7:10 pm
Apr 29th, 2020, 3:56 pm
I loved Roland Deschain from Steven King's The Dark Tower Series

Also, if you like that sort of thing, the Rat Pack Mysteries starring Eddie Gianelli...not sure if these are done, but I will miss Eddie G when he's gone.
Apr 29th, 2020, 3:56 pm