Feb 24th, 2017, 7:52 pm
In all my life reading books, none have attracted my attention as quickly as the Belgariad and Mallorean book series by David Eddings. In my opinion, these books are a new take on the timeless genre of fantasy itself. I myself have noticed that every time I read this books, I still reread them just because I want to. So, it really confuses me that no one has done a tv show about this yet. That is why I want to ask my fellow members of Mobilism this question: should there be a tv series about the Belgariad and Mallorean books or not?
Feb 24th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Please pm me if any links I have posted have expired as soon as possible.
Feb 24th, 2017, 11:57 pm
While I agree with you about the re-readability of Eddings' books, I don't think they would make a good TV show because of the stereotyping of the various gods' worshippers: Nyissans are sly and poison each other, Tolnedrans are greedy and money-grubbing, Chereks are rowdy drunkards, Drasnians are all spies, etc.

While they make for good reading, I think a lot of people who haven't read the books would simply cry "racist" if they tried to film a series (and lord knows you couldn't condense the plot to a movie!), especially since I never got any impression reading through the books that any of the races except the Angaraks would be anything but the equivalent of Caucasian.

Still, we can dream, can't we? ;)
Feb 24th, 2017, 11:57 pm

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Feb 27th, 2017, 10:47 pm
Fizban wrote:While I agree with you about the re-readability of Eddings' books, I don't think they would make a good TV show because of the stereotyping of the various gods' worshippers: Nyissans are sly and poison each other, Tolnedrans are greedy and money-grubbing, Chereks are rowdy drunkards, Drasnians are all spies, etc.

While they make for good reading, I think a lot of people who haven't read the books would simply cry "racist" if they tried to film a series (and lord knows you couldn't condense the plot to a movie!), especially since I never got any impression reading through the books that any of the races except the Angaraks would be anything but the equivalent of Caucasian.

Still, we can dream, can't we? ;)

I suppose we can.
Feb 27th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Sep 15th, 2017, 8:30 am
it is a sad matter how many good story band from tv because politically uncorrect
Sep 15th, 2017, 8:30 am
Mar 4th, 2018, 12:00 am
I remember most of the Angaraks getting a hard time too! But it could be updated a bit. Sadly, I'd rather they didn't as I hated what they did with the Shannara chronicles.
Mar 4th, 2018, 12:00 am
May 4th, 2018, 8:40 am
A former boss of mine and I discussed it, at this point, our dream cast is pretty much out of it. Sean Connery would have made an incredible Belgarath, and Connie Selleca seemed to be perfect for Polgara! We saw Michael Douglas as Silk, and Leonardo DiCaprio as Garion. I suppose they'd all be too old now, so who would you put in it?
May 4th, 2018, 8:40 am
May 4th, 2018, 9:26 pm
altahor42 wrote:it is a sad matter how many good story band from tv because politically uncorrect

The story isn't very good. It is aimed at YA and kids. And while it was good enough for my childhood, and is still re-readable like comfort food, the plot is very formulaic. Even as a kid, I quickly outgrew Eddings. After reading the Belgariad, Mallorian, Elenium, Tamuli, etc...you find that all of them are basically identical and follow the same formulaic design. I really had to struggle to force myself to finish his later books like Redemption of Athalus because it was so boring, since you knew the formulaic sameness. Especially when Eddings explains his formula in some of his nonfiction stuff on writing. I quit his Dreamer series halfway through since it felt like paint by numbers, exactly the same formula as all his other series.

It certainly isn't Game of Thrones quality. And fantasy and science fiction shows tend to require higher budgets for special effects, so the show needs to be higher quality with a broader audience to justify the expensive budget. The fact that it is YA and not aimed at adults makes it even less likely that a studio would splurge for a coming of age kids TV show.

YA properties have a better chance to get made into movies (Harry Potter, Hunger Games) than into TV shows, since movies can bring in more money than TV shows to justify the higher production costs of a fantasy genre source material and attendant special effects and whatnot.

I don't think the Belgariad would make good television. Part of it is tongue in cheek coming of age winks-and-nods that go on in headspace (first kisses, crushes, kids not knowing adult stuff, and other YA simplistic plots) that probably wouldn't work out well on screen.

It is good comfort reading, but wouldn't make good television.
May 4th, 2018, 9:26 pm
May 6th, 2018, 7:31 am
I never got far with my dream cast, but I always picture Pol like a younger Kirstie Alley (those eyebrows and how that woman can glare!) and George Carlin as Belgarath. Maybe Aussie actor Jack Thompson now.

It *is* good comfort reading! And that means I never want it to be made into TV or a movie. They screwed up Deathlands and Dragonlance.
May 6th, 2018, 7:31 am

Use this. It's free. https://www.libraryextension.com/
A link to my family's fiction wishlist is posted in my profile.
Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
No PDFs, PDF conversions or archive.org scans (I can get those myself).
Jun 12th, 2018, 1:00 pm
I'm hoping someone makes it into an movie or movie series. Like the Lord of the Rings.
Jun 12th, 2018, 1:00 pm
Aug 17th, 2019, 12:30 am
Needs to be done by a streaming service like Game of Thrones. Would make a great Anime as well.
Aug 17th, 2019, 12:30 am
Aug 17th, 2019, 1:25 am
Actually, an anime based on these book series doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Aug 17th, 2019, 1:25 am

Nov 15th, 2020, 11:53 pm
Holy cow! I just discovered that David Eddings and his wife Leigh were convicted and both put in prison for a year for child abuse and had their adopted kids taken away from them. This revelation was only uncovered by fans last year.

I can't believe they actually managed to cover all this up during their writing career and it is only coming out now after they're both dead. He even lied about leaving his old teaching job because of low pay. He left because he was fired after being in jail for a year.

It is such a pity that so many writers from my childhood reading turn out to scumbags, and people only find out the truth after these writers have died. First Marion Zimmer Bradley, and now David Eddings. :(
Nov 15th, 2020, 11:53 pm