May 25th, 2020, 9:41 pm
Vainqueur the Dragon

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26534/vainqueur-the-dragon

Absurdist fiction at its finest that has me laughing nonstop (emphasis on absurd). If you can tolerate the occasional typos and lack of editing that accompanies webnovels, you will enjoy this topnotch humor. A hilarious satire of litrpg, RPG games, and traditional fantasy tropes. A dragon who decides to become an adventurer because he sees quest rewards from the adventurer's guild as a more efficient way to build his treasure hoard, and he forceably conscripts a hapless thief to be his minion and guide in the human world. A reluctant minion who is frantically just trying to survive and limit the damage of the natural disaster that is a Dragon. Despite the odd pairing and comedy, both POV characters experience character growth and change over the course of the story.

I think there is even an audiobook version out.

As for Terry Prachett's Discworld series, have you tried beginning at a different point in the series? The author himself recommended not starting with the first two volumes since he was still figuring things out and they weren't as good. There are multiple starting points in the series corresponding to different groups of characters and story threads.

I would suggest starting with Guards! Guards! to begin the Sam Vimes and The Watch thread, perhaps. It has a six foot tall human who considers himself a dwarf because he was raised by dwarf foster parents. It examines the trope of the long lost royal heir and the value of monarchy vs republicanism/autocracy.

Or Going Postal for the start of the Moist von Lipwig thread. Yeah, the MC is named "Moist." The book has fascinating insight into the nature of modern finance, value invested in confidence, and conmen.
May 25th, 2020, 9:41 pm
Aug 13th, 2020, 7:53 pm
HenryAllen wrote:Old or new, like Christopher Moore, Douglas Adams, David Wong, Robert Asprin, Piers Anthony? Can't get into Terry Pratchett for some reason, despite about 30 attempts.

Thanks!

Highly recommend anything Christopher Moore mentioned in https://www.chrismoore.com/chriss-picks/... these are getting pretty old but hold up really well. Introduced me to Joe Quirk, Bill Fitzhugh, and many others.
Aug 13th, 2020, 7:53 pm
Sep 19th, 2020, 2:01 pm
Chess with a dragon by David Gerrold
The flying sorcerers by David Gerrold & Larry Niven
The Drake Maijstral series by Walter Jon Williams
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain

Any of A Lee Martinez's novels; warning - they are all different, so you should try a few.
The Miles Vorkosigan books by Louis McMasters Bujold (start with A Warriors Apprentice)
Sep 19th, 2020, 2:01 pm
Sep 19th, 2020, 3:55 pm
And how could I forget:
"Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality"
http://www.hpmor.com/
What if Harry Potter actually made sense.....
Sep 19th, 2020, 3:55 pm
Nov 11th, 2020, 5:05 pm
Bill the Galactic Hero is a hilarious anti-military satire, warmly recommended.
Nov 11th, 2020, 5:05 pm