Feb 15th, 2020, 11:00 am
I've been reading to my little boy recently, and have gotten into some of the classics that I enjoyed when I was a child.

I tried the Hobbit with him (he was 5). I simplified some bits, and it was fairly successful. I don't think he got it all, and the goblins were of course scary, but he kept wanting me to continue each night.

I read him a lot of the old UK Teddy Bear magazines from the 60s. Very fun for a few months, although he's had enough of them now I think.

We went through most of the 'Classics Illustrated Junior' magazines from America. There are about 77 of them. They each have a nice illustrated fairy story - not every one is a winner, but the quality overall is very high.

I tried the Just William stories but he couldn't get into them. Hopefully he will come round one day.

The real winner, for now, is Enid Blyton. Not the Famous Five and complete books, but her short stories. They are awesome. Perfect bedtime stories in that as they can keep both a young boy and a grumpy old man (me) entertained. The woman was a true marvel.
Feb 15th, 2020, 11:00 am
Mar 5th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Do you know "Magic Tree House" Series by Mary Pope Osborne? The Books are quite famous among boys and girls.
Mar 5th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Mar 5th, 2020, 11:13 pm
L. Frank Baum's Oz series?
Mar 5th, 2020, 11:13 pm
Mar 6th, 2020, 12:46 am
You might look into The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper for a King Arthur-inspired tale - it's five books that can be read together or separately. Also, he's not to everyone's taste but C.S. Lewis's Narnia series is excellent reading - the religious aspects are disguised enough that most small kids will miss it while the story is still interesting for adults. And if he's a horse lover, you could always check out Walter Farley's The Black Stallion books. And for a space-nut, you can't go wrong with Isaac Aasimov's "Lucky Starr" series - it's bad science but great space opera. E E "Doc" Smith's Lensmen series is also good space opera for a young boy. Just remember that all of the books I'm suggesting here are old school - the most recent was written in the early 70's so they will be mostly euro-centric and male-oriented. That being said, they are all still excellent reading, IMHO. :)
Mar 6th, 2020, 12:46 am

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Aug 18th, 2020, 6:05 pm
Fizban wrote:You might look into The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper for a King Arthur-inspired tale - it's five books that can be read together or separately. Also, he's not to everyone's taste but C.S. Lewis's Narnia series is excellent reading - the religious aspects are disguised enough that most small kids will miss it while the story is still interesting for adults. And if he's a horse lover, you could always check out Walter Farley's The Black Stallion books. And for a space-nut, you can't go wrong with Isaac Aasimov's "Lucky Starr" series - it's bad science but great space opera. E E "Doc" Smith's Lensmen series is also good space opera for a young boy. Just remember that all of the books I'm suggesting here are old school - the most recent was written in the early 70's so they will be mostly euro-centric and male-oriented. That being said, they are all still excellent reading, IMHO. :)

I second Narnia, I didn't realize about the religious aspect of the series until I was an adult, it's an excellent read for kids
Aug 18th, 2020, 6:05 pm
Oct 25th, 2021, 5:22 am
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I'm sorry to be so late replying (I'd forgotten I'd posted).

I shall definitely look for the books you have all very kindly recommended.
Oct 25th, 2021, 5:22 am