Aug 24th, 2020, 5:14 am
Hi.

I'm a massive fan of books involving the main characters of a novel, working their way to making their fortune and always looking for ways to invest it and making more.

I've read a few books that follow along this premise and i prefer the historical ones to be honest. I would prefer ones involving the main character looking to trade and invest more if possible.

Here are a few that I've read that follow along that premise.

- Nobody's Child by Andrew Wareham ( Main character joins a privateer during the 1800s and works for the East Indian company, making quite a fortune in money ).

-Dylan's Journey: Book One of the Evans Family Saga by C.J. Petit ( Main character is a boy who works in a mine in the United States and has a Deep and Unique understanding of steam engines and works his way out of the Mine into a Engineering Supervisory position making sure they run efficiently and saves a quite modest fortune )

-The Killing Man - The Gin Lane Trilogy by Andrew Wareham ( Main character is a farming boy with Urban smarts and a ruthlessly polite edge. Joins the Army during the Scottish uprising for the pretender prince and later starts his Gin Business and reinvesting the Fortune back into the business. Also becomes one of the Local Underworld Lords of the Local area.)

- Innocents at War - When Empires Collide by Andrew Wareham ( Main character is a young teenager just before the break of the First World war, Loosing his father and inheriting a small fortune he marries the Local Squires daughter who he grew up with and Join the early RAF. His father in-law manages his finances and earns him and his Son-in Law a Fortune by Investing in War Supplies and Trading from America.)

- Lost to the Sea Series by E.Van Johnson ( A young son of a Family of Fisherman who's Grandfather taught him the Skill of using all his Senses at sea, Loosing his Entire Family During a storm in the 1800's he is then helped by the local Parish Priest in looking for a sustainable life trade. He joins the Sea Trading Firm of a known Local captain and learn all he can about the sea and its trade. Shanghaied into the Navy by an enemy who finds him an opponent to the local captains daughter, he is given a life lesson is how to truly sail the sea and Survive. Earns his fortune by capturing a slave ship he earns his small fortune and Leaves the Navy and returns back to land He invests his fortune into the Sea trading Company and so begins his journey to the Growth of his Fortune.)

- Blood on the Crown by Griff Hosker ( Son of a Sell-sword during medieval times, He learns the way of battle and the ugly truth of war. He Earns his fortune by showing his growing skill and smarts in battle and slowly grows in wealth. He returns home to England and is given the role of the Future kings Protector. Marries the girl of a Farm he is given by Reward, His wife grows his fortune by Buying land and investing in the people closest to her Husband.

- At Home and at Sea by John G Cragg ( A Naval Officer and Son of an Earl during the Napoleonic period who has a interest in farming, he purchases an estate close to a local lord and finds himself in-love with the local lords daughter who has a similar and much deeper understanding and the business of farming as himself. He returns home from his naval duty and gladly marries the local lords daughter who together grows their fortune in both land and money.)

-The Duty trilogy by James Haddock ( An engineering wiz who having lost his entire family during a space mining accident returns home after a few years away, having returned home joins his friend and future wife in restarting the family mining business and growing it in wealth and technology. With a eye for innovation and Business he Grows his business into become a local tycoon and fighting away government thieves who would rather steal than pay for his technology. )

- The Dorset Boy Series by Christopher C Tubbs ( Smart and innovative Naval midshipman who grows his career and wealth by becoming part of a exclusive naval SWAT team during the Napoleonic Period. During his journey he marries a woman who'm he loves and is an equal partner in their relationship, He grows both his wealth and his band of merry followers following his Adventures by stealing ship from the French and Spanish, Going behind enemies lines and causing chaos for the nations enemies. )

These are only the ones i have after i started my Private library of e-pub books. If you have any other books suggestions please tell me! I have a hunger for books that is never sated.
Aug 24th, 2020, 5:14 am
Aug 26th, 2020, 3:58 am
bump

-x
Aug 26th, 2020, 3:58 am
Aug 27th, 2020, 8:54 am
I think you should read all of Andrew Wareham's books, starting with the Poor Man at The Gate series. Excellent!
Aug 27th, 2020, 8:54 am
Aug 28th, 2020, 5:49 am
Thanks for the reply.

Had problems reading the poor man at the gate series, couldn't really dig into the book because of the way it was written.

Shall have another go though.
Aug 28th, 2020, 5:49 am
Aug 28th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Velario1 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Had problems reading the poor man at the gate series, couldn't really dig into the book because of the way it was written.

Shall have another go though.

Yes it is really worth it.

His best series in my opinion are:

- Duty and Destiny (HNF)
- Man of Conflict (Napoleonic wars, landbased).

What I like in his books is the combination of action, be it at sea or on land, and events at home or in society. Characters are well worked out and there is a special kind of humour as well.

Wareham is really one of my favourite authors. And what is nice is that he is a prolific writer. A new book every month or so.
Aug 28th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Aug 29th, 2020, 8:05 am
I'll try them.

I'm currently reading a ww2 book that is part of a series involving the early British commandos.

It's called Raiding Forces by Phil Ward and its part of 13 book series.
Aug 29th, 2020, 8:05 am
Aug 29th, 2020, 10:15 am
Not much entrepeneurship, trading and investing stuff in those, I suppose :D
Aug 29th, 2020, 10:15 am
Aug 29th, 2020, 10:29 am
I suppose not, however their is a great deal of innovation and invention for the creation of the Commando's and creating the playbook on their skillset.

I'm also looking into another series called Drummer Boy by E.Arthur Carkeek

Seems like a book with possibility, All i need to do now is find it.
Aug 29th, 2020, 10:29 am
Aug 29th, 2020, 1:22 pm
I have read Drummerboy by Carkeek. Not to my liking. The drummerboy’s career is like a comet, all very unlikely. In no time high rank, large responsibilities while still a teenager. That did and could not happen in reality.
Aug 29th, 2020, 1:22 pm
Aug 29th, 2020, 3:12 pm
Interesting, any financial growth along the way ? Investment in say a farm or in something else ?
Aug 29th, 2020, 3:12 pm
Aug 29th, 2020, 3:28 pm
No no nothing of the kind :lol:
Aug 29th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Nov 4th, 2022, 6:53 am
There's a large number of excellent books before you get to it, but Raymond Feist's Rise of a Merchant Prince (it's also fantasy) is one of the most interesting tales I've ever read. Rupert Avery, the son of a poor teamster is convicted along with a friend, and sent to fight a war he didn't even know existed, when he returns, his desire is to become a wealthy man and prosper. Boy, does he!
Nov 4th, 2022, 6:53 am
Nov 10th, 2022, 1:48 am
Castleman66 wrote:There's a large number of excellent books before you get to it, but Raymond Feist's Rise of a Merchant Prince (it's also fantasy) is one of the most interesting tales I've ever read. Rupert Avery, the son of a poor teamster is convicted along with a friend, and sent to fight a war he didn't even know existed, when he returns, his desire is to become a wealthy man and prosper. Boy, does he!

Tried it, wasn't really my cup of tea.

I'm looking for something at least written within the last 10 years.
Nov 10th, 2022, 1:48 am