Feb 29th, 2016, 1:21 pm
I am itching to start writing again, though not in my usual genre ( fantasy ). I have read so many mm books now, that I really want ( in those late night/early morning hours I have 'free') to start 'scribbling' again.

So as I open Libre's word processor, I am suddenly stuck... do I do it first person, third person ( the all knowing/seeing god sitting like a fly on the wall) or alternate first person between the main characters?

Hmmmm...

What is your point of view ... what do YOU like to read?
Feb 29th, 2016, 1:21 pm
Feb 29th, 2016, 1:28 pm
It isn't a sticking point for me, but I admit that I love the recent plot device of alternating 1st person povs.
IMO it allows the reader to understand the characters' motivation without all the "telling" of the 3rd person.
I'm curious to find out what other readers think
Feb 29th, 2016, 1:28 pm
Mar 1st, 2016, 10:40 am
I much prefer 1st person alternating POVs
Mar 1st, 2016, 10:40 am
Mar 1st, 2016, 12:10 pm
I like third person most.
Because I always find it a little bit strange and awkward in hot love scenes when it's told in first person.....you know, here is the hero, supposedly in the throes of passion, unable to think clearly, only able to say "uhhhhh" or "ahhhh", but at the same time he tells us all very eloquently what he does to his (or her) love interest and what is done to him....:wtf:
Naaaa...I prefer third person...:lol:
Mar 1st, 2016, 12:10 pm
Mar 1st, 2016, 12:49 pm
One book I read recently (read so many, I can't remember which one!) had alternating first and third persons. It kind of worked, but ended up confusing a bit, till I went back and properly checked the chapter headings.

Though I suppose that COULD perhaps work. But there must be a better way. I actually avoided first person writing completely at one point. But the right book cured me of that. :lol:
Mar 1st, 2016, 12:49 pm
Mar 2nd, 2016, 1:00 am
KayM - try reading some of R J Ross's Cape High books - she does them all in 1st person (who it is changes with each book) alternating with short bursts of 3rd person, which she delineates with section breaks. It actually works pretty well. It's a YA series but could give you some good ideas.
Mar 2nd, 2016, 1:00 am

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Jan 29th, 2017, 4:18 am
Well... as to what POV I like to read... I really don't have much of a preference.
I do really like them all. I think my top favorite POV to read though is first person. I love books that show the perspective of the main character.
But at the same time, I wish I could see into or see the view of the other as well when it's an especially suspenseful book. So 3rd and 1st person are my top favorite POVs to read. though if a blurb sounds interesting I'm just going to pick it up. I don't usually search for what style the book is written in when I get it. I'm just pleasantly surprised when it's one of the two I prefer. :3
Jan 29th, 2017, 4:18 am

Please click "reupload" if any of my links expire. Thank you.
Jan 30th, 2017, 2:15 am
I just like good writing. Don't worry about what works for the reader so much as what works for your story. Whatever you're most comfortable writing will tell the story best. And if you write a good story the mechanics of it aren't why the reader reads.

If you're from a fantasy background and want to think about alternate first person POV look at some of Kevin Hearne's recent work on his Iron Druid series. It works well there because there's no confusion about which character's POV is being written. That's often not the case in MM Romance because the characters are too similar to each other and are usually stressing over the same relationship.

First person is frustrating because you only get one side of the relationship. But a good writier can provide you clues to the other characters in the stories point of view through their action or words. You're getting them filtered through the main character's POV so the clues are sometimes red herrings, but having to figure out what's going on in a relationship from a single POV is more how they tend to work so this is a reasonable approach.

Third person gets a bad rap. It's not inferior to first person for telling the story. The problem is that many inexperienced writers begin with third person. So many stories by writers learning to write are written in third person. And many of those stories are obviously the work of beginning novelists. And they get published before they're really ready.

So the choice is yours. But I don't think who's telling the story for you is as important as the story you're telling.
Jan 30th, 2017, 2:15 am
Feb 17th, 2017, 3:46 am
Well, in strictly romance, I prefer third person because I get both side of the story. But in genre like urban fantasy or fantasy or mystery/suspense ... where sometimes the romance is not as strong due to other things happening, I'm good with first person
Feb 17th, 2017, 3:46 am

I NO LONGER reupload my dead links. Don't ask for reuploads, please. Apologies in advance
Apr 1st, 2017, 3:25 am
I agree with most of the others... In relationship heavy stories, especially with alot of dialogue, alternating first person feels the most intimate. It can work with crime stories, too.
I don't mind third person, but it can lead to stories feeling formulaic, especially in series.
I guess, see what your brain/muse likes... I can see third person being useful for fantasy, if there is magic. It is probably pretty difficult to write :concentrate, concentrate, tense muscles, chant, release: (or however) in an interesting way in first person.
Though, if I am remembering correctly, I think Jim Butcher's Dresden Files does, and he is extremely popular.
Apr 1st, 2017, 3:25 am
Apr 4th, 2017, 5:30 am
Generally I am fine with either 1st or 3rd person as long as there are two POVs from both MC.
Apr 4th, 2017, 5:30 am
Jul 25th, 2017, 6:58 am
For me, I'm pretty open. I feel whatever POV would best tell the story is the one that I prefer reading, which of-course means that my POV preferences change & my like or dislike for one over another depends on the story/book.
Jul 25th, 2017, 6:58 am
Aug 12th, 2017, 6:50 pm
I used to like first person when I was younger but now I prefer third person.
Aug 12th, 2017, 6:50 pm