Mar 7th, 2017, 7:14 pm
Just finished Single Malt by Layla Reyne, what a great start to a new series. I have been in a slump for a couple of months now. I read this one straight through and I have pre-ordered the next two books to share when they are released.
Mar 7th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Awburnfan
Aug 10th, 2017, 2:51 pm
I recently finished “Call Me by Your Name” by Andre Aciman and I must say I liked it a lot. There’s a movie coming out pretty soon by Luca Guadagnino. When I first heard about it I was pretty excited, thought that since it’s an European director it will be true to the story, unafraid and unapologetic. But then I saw that Armie Hammer stars in it and I sagged in my disappointed pool of non-interest.
The book was pretty good in explaining things from Elio’s perspective, much introspection and dissecting of conversations, very intimate scenes and a great although bittersweet (more bitter, dare I say) ending. And the movie is not going to get graphic, that much I grasped from a half-read interview with the director, and the A-list cast, but one can at least dream. I hope we get more than a quick glance, some caresses and forced kissing. I really hope the actors have great chemistry between them and I hope the director tells a beautiful story.
I just wanted to say that I’m glad that movies are being made after LGBTQ books but I guess it turned into a rant. Hope the movie gets screened nearby so I can go watch it.

I liked “A single man”; right now I can’t really conjure up the book but I love the movie. It has a sense of wistfulness to it, it’s the story of a man in mourning and it’s beautifully told. It’s great cinematography it’s what it is.
Seen “Brokeback Mountain”, never got round to reading the book and I think it’s time.

Anyway, it is a thread of books, not movies made from books so I guess some recommendations are in hand.
I highly recommend “Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe” by Benjamin Alire Sáenz and maybe you should try David Levithan ‘Boy meets boy’ and ‘Two boys kissing’.
And thanks to torbellino for the list!
Aug 10th, 2017, 2:51 pm
Aug 30th, 2017, 6:28 am
Here's a list of hard-to-find or out-of-print coming of age gay novels that are well written and nice reads. All of them are books I have found from various sources and converted them into ebooks, so for most on this list, this is their first time as ebooks:

The Center of the World by Andreas Steinhofel (1998)
The Tongues of Angels by Reynolds Price (1990)
Happy Endings by David Cook (1974)
The Blue Star by Robert Ferro (1986)
Music I Never Dreamed of by John Gilgun (1990)
More than Friends by Ruth Turk (1980)
Bilal's Bread by Sulayman X (2005)
Drowning in Fire by Craig S. Womack (2001)
Pryor Rendering by Gary Reed (1996)
What the Dead Remember by Harlan Greene (1991)
River Season by Jim Black (2003)
In The Tent by David Rees (1979)
The Milkman's On His Way by David Rees (1982)
Malcolm by James Purdy (first published 1959)
Narrow Rooms by James Purdy (first published 1978)
Better Angel by Forman Brown (aka Richard Meeker) (1933)
A Good Start, Considering by Peter Ryde (1999)
Reasons Of The Heart by Bron Nicholls
Salvation Army by Abdellah Taia (2009)
Life Drawing by Michael Grumley (1991)
Maybe -Tomorrow by Jay Little (first published 1952)
The Beginning of Calamities by Tom House (2003)
As If After Sex by Joseph Torchia (1984)
All-American Boy: A Memoir by Scott Peck (1995)
The Pale Moon of Morning by Liam Lynch (1996)
Bruiser by Richard House (1997)
A Son Called Gabriel by Damian McNicholl (2004)
Execution, Texas: 1987 by D. Travers Scott (1997)
Brothers in Arms by Michael Carson (1988)
Lawnboy by Paul Lisicky (1998)
The Lions' Den by Larry Howard (1985)
The Arizona Kid by Ron Koertge (first published 1988)
Lucifer With a Book by John Horne Burns (1949)
Stranger in the land by Ward Thomas (1949)
Quatrefoil by James Barr (first published 1950)
In the Making by G.F. Green (1952)
America's Boy: A Memoir by Wade Rouse (2006)
The Arrival of Fergal Flynn by Brian Kennedy (2005)
The Temple by Stephen Spender (first published 1929)
5 Books by Joseph Hansen

Plus one more, which is a work still in progress:
The Map of the Harbor Islands by J. G. Hayes
Aug 30th, 2017, 6:28 am

Please PM me if links are dead, and I will do my best to refresh them.
Dec 18th, 2017, 5:44 am
Someone that is hardly mentioned that I found is Etienne (Reynard). He is a gay writer, and he does not write romances. His words. Library Genesis has a lot of his books, so you can check them out. When I get tired of the angst in a lot of books, I go and re-read some of his.
Dec 18th, 2017, 5:44 am
Dec 19th, 2017, 12:06 am
SamDigzdrt wrote:Someone that is hardly mentioned that I found is Etienne (Reynard). He is a gay writer, and he does not write romances. His words. Library Genesis has a lot of his books, so you can check them out. When I get tired of the angst in a lot of books, I go and re-read some of his.

I looked at Library Genesis, but searches showed nothing of relevance. Can you suggest some book titles for Etienne (Reynard)? That might help my searches.
Thanks.
Dec 19th, 2017, 12:06 am

Jan 13th, 2018, 4:11 am
"Object of My Affection" was the first MM novel I ever read - it's delightful. Stephen McCauley has a very quick and light way of writing.

Recently finished "Call Me By Your Name" - book and the film based on it have rapidly ascended my list of "all time favourite" books and film
Jan 13th, 2018, 4:11 am
Jan 13th, 2018, 5:38 am
Here are some good reads I have come across recently in the process of turning hard-to-find older novels into ebooks:

The Blue Star by Robert Ferro (1986)
https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1292&t=2051909&hilit=Robert+Ferro

The Center of the World by Andreas Steinhofel (1998)
https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.ph ... h%C3%B6fel

The Map of the Harbor Islands by J. G. Hayes (2006)
https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1292&t=2223389&hilit=Harbor+Islands

4-part semi-autobiographical fiction by Larry Dulpechan:
https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1292&t=715566
Book 1: Blackbird (1986)
Book 2: Eight Days A Week (1985)
Book 3: Captain Swing (1993)
Book 4: Got 'til it's gone (2008)
Jan 13th, 2018, 5:38 am

Jan 15th, 2018, 1:28 am
Another I should add to my list:

In Tall Cotton by Charles G. Hulse (1987)

In Tall Cotton tells the story of the Woods family, who are forced from their home in the Midwest by the Great Depression. Unlike the downtrodden characters in The Grapes of Wrath, this family is comprised of a school-teacher mother, a gifted mechanic father and two bright sons. Their odyssey and alienation however is no less poignant.
The story is told through the eyes of the younger son, Totsy, a sexually precocious almost-fifteen-year-old. He vividly describes the family’s long trek West in their old Model-A Ford; the stops along the way to visit relatives on Route 66; the jobs taken and refused; the sordid and unfamiliar living conditions; and the strange characters that the family befriends along the way.
As a subplot we have Totsy’s growing curiosity about sex. His experimentation begins with harmless games with his 6 year old classmates, but when he is confronted with the dark desires of adults his life is thrown into confusion and violence.
In his efforts to literally save his life, the boy uncovers the secret flaws hidden in those he loves: his brother’s physical frailty; his mother’s fatal blind spot; his father’s destructive cruelty; his beautiful cousin’s shocking secret life; and his uncle’s frightening demands.
But what would his flaw be? And would it be worth growing up to find out?
In Tall Cotton is a moving story of growing up and growing wise—two very different things. It merits comparison with Truman Capote’s A Christmas Memory and John Knowles’s A Separate Peace.

https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=2288873&hilit=in+tall+cotton
Jan 15th, 2018, 1:28 am

Feb 5th, 2018, 1:49 am
Thank you for great recommendation.
I will start looking on these books
Feb 5th, 2018, 1:49 am

Please kindly PM me should the link is not working properly / Do not forget to "Thank you".
Thank you very much :D
Apr 21st, 2019, 6:59 pm
And also added: Men on Men: Best Gay Fiction 1986, the first of a series which ran to about eight volumes every other year. This one, written at the start of the AIDS crisis featured 18 stories. None of the authors were dead five years later. Tragic.

As far as I can see, this has never made it back in print or ebook. Hand-tuned for your pleasure.

https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=3101603
Apr 21st, 2019, 6:59 pm
Apr 22nd, 2019, 2:47 am
And there is also this brilliant book: Melvin Dixon's Vanishing Rooms.

"Within the relatively confined space of the couple hundred pages that constitute the entirety of Vanishing Rooms, Melvin Dixon succeeds in asking some important questions, creating a handful of vibrant characters, generating a high degree of intensity, and demonstrating the ability to write with grace and depth of feeling…. Vanishing Rooms is very special.” —New York Native

This was his second novel. It is about New York in 1975 and features a trio of black friends and a white kid named Metro who is murdered in the opening pages (I gather these folks appeared in the first book, "Trouble with Water"). The writing is remarkable -- the author spent his adult life as a poet and scholar (he died of AIDS a year after this book went to print). He was famous enough in 1992 to get a New York Times obit.

https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=3101932&p=6437977#p6437977
Apr 22nd, 2019, 2:47 am
Sep 24th, 2019, 7:38 am
Just finished Stick and Poke by E.M. Lindsey, book 5 in the Iron and Works series, it's a really nice read and the characters are beyond endearing. I really recommend this and all of the books in the series
Sep 24th, 2019, 7:38 am