App and game reviews by Mobilism's Android Reviews team
Feb 21st, 2013, 12:39 am

App: Umano: News Read to You v2.0.3
Developer: SoThree, Inc.
Category: News & Magazines
Price: N/A
IAP: $0.99 - $35.99

I've been using Umano for a good couple of days recently for my daily usage and so far I can say that it helps me in my day to day activities. I never thought I'd say this but I have found my news app. It is the first of its kind for me! Umano is an application that gathers up all sorts of news from many sources (Creditable sources I would assume), but wait, It doesn't stop there! They have people that read the news to you. You heard that right, no need to sit down and read news articles any more. Now you may go on a jog, walk, or change your babies diapers and listen to the news at the same time.

The application is currently free and appears to be ad free in my time using it this whole week. I'm not sure if it plans to stay forever free without ads, but with an application this great I wouldn't mind having a version with ads, along with a ad free version of course! Let's face it, someone who sits there to read to us is deemed worthy of getting paid, Am I right? The best part is you aren't forced to register an account with them but you can optionally sign up with your regular email address and later on connect to your Facebook.

As I used it I liked how I was able to share articles with friends via Facebook, G+, and other applications that allow you to share links. The best part was that my friends who don't use Umano or are on their desktop can easily click the link that takes them to a webpage to listen to the article from their web browser in the form of a portable iPhone... *sigh*... If only we could pick Galaxy S3 form behind it. Also a feature worth mentioning is the ability to download articles to listen via offline mode, this is very useful in case you know you have a bad connection at work, school, or anywhere else. If you have a limited data plan this is also useful to download your news articles if you happen to stop by a WiFi hot spot area. :)

Throughout all testing I would have to highly suggest this application to those seeking a news app that reads out to you the articles not only because it reads them to you but because of how stable it is must I add; never came across an issue this whole week. The application has a very user friendly UI and elegant dark theme rather than an all white annoying theme. I was pleased that it currently holds no ads, I would still use it if it did have ads and would even buy a paid version if it was later on release, so go on, click that download link to the Google Play store today and get a feel of the mighty Umano app yourself!

Pros:
  • Convenient gathering of news and events.
  • Strong social networking sharing of articles.
  • Hands free reading of your customized news articles.

Cons:
  • Limited content unless you purchase IAP features.
  • No way to filter content while surfing through news.

Image Image

Reviewer rating: Image
Device/OS used: SGH i727 / Jelly Bean v4.1.2

Purchase at Google Play
Mobilism: Umano: News Read to You v2.0.3

Feb 21st, 2013, 12:39 am

Support developers! =)