May 29th, 2017, 5:06 pm
Posted byu/TaibhseCait
just now
1990s/2000s or earlier? Child/teen Fantasy book with magic stone that transports 2 kids to another world through a plane crash, + a green skinned wizard character too.

Hi! I'm looking for a children/teen book that I read when I was younger that I'd like to find and re-read :) Genre would probably be Young Adult, but I'm pretty sure that genre wasn't around then XD It would have been with the Michael Scott teen books and Tamora Pierce and such.

All I remember is part of the plot line of course...no useful title or author :P

I thought (probably wrongly) that the book was called something like touchstone, lightning stone, thunder stone, but no luck finding it. I think its definitely earlier than the 2010s, but beyond that, no idea about author etc!

So to start two teenagers (12 or 14 but definitely less than 16 I think) boy and girl, cousins maybe? friends, find a stone/rock in an abandoned quarry after or during a thunderstorm. (The stone glows?, something to do with lightning maybe?) ....I think they got some powers or something but I'm hazy on this part,

....but while they're on a plane it crashes except they wake up in a different world (fantasy/medieval with elves, dwarves, giants, magic - vaguely remember that someone was kidnapped & the dwarf is tracking them down while thinking about how elves would have been better at it? Maybe!)

They meet a young man when they first arrive, who was an apprentice or slave to a wizard and was cursed with green? skin. They have to help save the world or something... at the end they can travel back to their world (during the book they met at a forge? and after some magic they are informed that they could get home but decade(s) will have passed in their world, despite less than a year passing in the fantasy world...

and at the end they wake up in the farmers field the plane crashed in but decades later (possibly 20 years later) and the parents/aunt had still stayed by the phone waiting for news of them....

I would mention I live in Ireland and I read it in english. My brother has no recollection of it. I think I read it in end primary school or beginning secondary school so could even be before 2005-ish? But the book could have been written even before 1990s, I'm guessing there...

I think the cover was watercolour/ink art maybe?

Hope this helps! Please help. It is driving me nuts, I know I didn't make this up or dream it!

Books that aren't it include Weirdstone of Brisingamen, Motherstone & Demonata series.

edit: FOUND IT!!

Touchstone by Peter Regan
"In a remote quarry near their homes, Patti and Simon shelter from a summer storm. A bolt of lightning erupts at their feet and afterwards they find the Touchstone, 'white in color with a green vein, about the size of a large apple', which is to be their password to another world."

Somehow using keywords of quarry, lightning, another world, stone etc NEVER FOUND IT FOR ME! Neither did using the title touchstone on amazon or goodreads. UNTIL NOW. Found it on goodreads by searching "stone" and "touchstone" >> despite it not showing before. I saw the cover and was instantly THAT'S IT! XD
May 29th, 2017, 5:06 pm
May 29th, 2017, 10:39 pm
erm, well if you do, that's great and you can tell me!

.....But I'm going to go post this in the Lost and Found section where it should have been XD
May 29th, 2017, 10:39 pm
Mar 5th, 2018, 8:14 pm
bump *hopeful*
Mar 5th, 2018, 8:14 pm
Mar 7th, 2018, 7:28 pm
I swear I just skimmed this plot line on goodreads! I can picture the cover, but can't remember the name! It is driving me crazy. I'm on the hunt for you.
Mar 7th, 2018, 7:28 pm
Jun 2nd, 2018, 5:34 pm
Anonymouse0306 wrote:I swear I just skimmed this plot line on goodreads! I can picture the cover, but can't remember the name! It is driving me crazy. I'm on the hunt for you.

I've tried googling various versions of that description and never found it! XD

I'm glad it sounds like it's real and not a figment of my imagination... I was starting to wonder.

From my vague memories I thought the cover I saw was sort of 90s fantasy art and maybe watercolour or faded looking? I'm really not sure at all :/

Thank you <3
Jun 2nd, 2018, 5:34 pm
Jun 28th, 2018, 5:58 pm
Have no idea, but sounds a good guilty pleasure book...so i'm leaving this comment here in hopes you find it!
Jun 28th, 2018, 5:58 pm
Jul 21st, 2018, 1:32 pm
Anonymouse0306 wrote:I swear I just skimmed this plot line on goodreads! I can picture the cover, but can't remember the name! It is driving me crazy. I'm on the hunt for you.

Actually what *did* the cover look like that you remember?
Jul 21st, 2018, 1:32 pm
Jul 21st, 2018, 1:33 pm
Typhonragewind wrote:Have no idea, but sounds a good guilty pleasure book...so i'm leaving this comment here in hopes you find it!

Ha! Hence my trying to find it, I wanted to read it...again!
Jul 21st, 2018, 1:33 pm
Jul 29th, 2019, 6:24 am
try searching for the chronicles of narnia in goodreads , then look under similar section.
Jul 29th, 2019, 6:24 am