Feedback or requests for help with the site.

Do you think sub categories for the release sections is a good idea?

Yes 7
54%
Maybe 3
23%
No 3
23%
Total votes : 13
Aug 12th, 2006, 3:45 pm
Do you think sub-categories for the releases sections are a good idea?
For example: The software section will be divided into Input, Security, Multimedia, GPS, Internet, etc. (not really sure what the categories will be right now).

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.
Aug 12th, 2006, 3:45 pm
Aug 12th, 2006, 3:59 pm
What about apps that don't fit into one cat?
Aug 12th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Retired administrator.
Aug 12th, 2006, 4:01 pm
I can always make an "Others" category.
Aug 12th, 2006, 4:01 pm
Aug 18th, 2006, 5:27 pm
Here is what it might look like for the software section:

Dictionaries (not sure about this one just yet)
Education
Enterntainment
GPS
Input
Internet
Managment
Phone
Security
System Utilities
Other

And for games:

Action
Strategy
Board/card
Quests
Sports
Pocket PC emulators
Other

Pros to this: much more organized, if somebody wants to find a program to fit their specific needs but dont know the name they know where to look.

Cons: pain in the ass for admin and mods to move stuff into the correct categories.
Aug 18th, 2006, 5:27 pm
Aug 18th, 2006, 10:53 pm
IMOH too fragmentation leads people get confused...
me for example ;)

Opinion expressed ONLY because you opened a poll about
:lol:

Thanks

..._
Aug 18th, 2006, 10:53 pm

Life is what happens while you're makin other plans.
Charlie Brown
Sep 12th, 2006, 4:14 pm
I support this idea because everyday we have new programs coming up and searching will be hard if we dont know the exact name. Furthermore, this site will be more organize instead of throwing everything into the main forum.

Maybe new releases we put under a sub forum or into the main release section. Release older than 1 week should be move to their respective sub categories.
Sep 12th, 2006, 4:14 pm
Sep 12th, 2006, 4:20 pm
shady wrote:I support this idea because everyday we have new programs coming up and searching will be hard if we dont know the exact name. Furthermore, this site will be more organize instead of throwing everything into the main forum.

Maybe new releases we put under a sub forum or into the main release section. Release older than 1 week should be move to their respective sub categories.

Hm, interesting idea. A forum named "latest releases" of one week and everything else gets sub-categorized.
Sep 12th, 2006, 4:20 pm
Sep 13th, 2006, 8:58 pm
Ok, with the new idea it would look something like this:
Software Releases:
-This Week's Releases
-System Utilities
-Personal Managers
-Internet
etc.

Everything will be posted in "This week's releases" and at the end of the week everything will be moved to other sections. Only problem: I really dont feel like having to move all of that. We'll have to find a way for members to specify what category their release belongs to or something like that.
Sep 13th, 2006, 8:58 pm
Sep 14th, 2006, 5:20 am
Maybe the uploader should state in which section the release belongs to when posting so it will be easier for the mod to move them to their respective sections. It will be easier for the forumers to look for programs because sometimes we dont know the type of program by just looking at the name.
Sep 14th, 2006, 5:20 am
Sep 14th, 2006, 6:40 am
The forum is easy to follow right now. Subclassing it will make it nightmarish for regulars, m'thinks.

It's hard enough trying to stay on top of new messages with the existing categories, I can only imagine if you add 10 more...
Sep 14th, 2006, 6:40 am

M1NU51
Sep 14th, 2006, 11:54 am
M1NU51 wrote:The forum is easy to follow right now. Subclassing it will make it nightmarish for regulars, m'thinks.

It's hard enough trying to stay on top of new messages with the existing categories, I can only imagine if you add 10 more...

What if I somehow manage to make it display the contents on owner's will: if he/she wants- sub-categorized, if not- normal view? Only problem with this would then be getting people to realize that they can change the different views.
Sep 14th, 2006, 11:54 am
Sep 14th, 2006, 6:51 pm
lifehacker wrote:What if I somehow manage to make it display the contents on owner's will: if he/she wants- sub-categorized, if not- normal view? Only problem with this would then be getting people to realize that they can change the different views.

Agreed! :) I'm quite used with other BBs and took two weeks to realize the difference between the "portal view" and the "forum view" of this board.
And the discover went by a chance.. :idea:

Sep 14th, 2006, 6:51 pm

Life is what happens while you're makin other plans.
Charlie Brown
Sep 14th, 2006, 8:37 pm
Val3r10 wrote:
lifehacker wrote:What if I somehow manage to make it display the contents on owner's will: if he/she wants- sub-categorized, if not- normal view? Only problem with this would then be getting people to realize that they can change the different views.

Agreed! :) I'm quite used with other BBs and took two weeks to realize the difference between the "portal view" and the "forum view" of this board.
And the discover went by a chance.. :idea:

If any changes do take place, it wont be now- I have way too much work right now to seriously work on the forum.
Sep 14th, 2006, 8:37 pm
Sep 16th, 2006, 7:33 am
lifehacker wrote:
M1NU51 wrote:The forum is easy to follow right now. Subclassing it will make it nightmarish for regulars, m'thinks.

What if I somehow manage to make it display the contents on owner's will: if he/she wants- sub-categorized, if not- normal view? Only problem with this would then be getting people to realize that they can change the different views.

Lifehacker: absolutely!

I like that idea. And you know what I REALLY like... The idea of a news page as soon as we log in (which is where you can post all of the changes on your board).

Is there no way you can limite access until a first-time user has read a sticky outlining these thigns?
Sep 16th, 2006, 7:33 am

M1NU51