Feedback or requests for help with the site.
Aug 17th, 2006, 10:12 pm
After the recent problems the forum had for complaints about warez, I think the agreement.php is a very good idea.
Actually, from past experiences and other similar forums ones, may I suggest something "harder" ?
- no guest posting (no write clearance)
- no guest browsing in warez areas (no read clearance)

It could be a simple solution to make people responsible for their visits here.

Tell me what you think

Thanks

..._
Aug 17th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Life is what happens while you're makin other plans.
Charlie Brown
Aug 17th, 2006, 10:48 pm
Dam, thought I posted, I like the idea of no guest logins or posts.
Aug 17th, 2006, 10:48 pm

SUPPORT DEVELOPERS. IF YOU LIKE IT, BUY IT.
Aug 18th, 2006, 4:28 pm
I though about stopping guests from entering the forums a couple times and adding the agreement to the registration policy, but decided not to stop them just yet because it might limit PPC Warez's usage. On the other hand we will have less posts that make absolutely no sense.
Aug 18th, 2006, 4:28 pm
Oct 13th, 2006, 1:58 am
but I have been on many forums over the years that dealt with many subjects. As an admin and a moderator I always felt that folks should be required to register and sign in. Whether the information they give is viable or not is always in question but at least they have to make an effort to "join in"

My 2 cents :wink:
Oct 13th, 2006, 1:58 am
Oct 14th, 2006, 12:04 am
Larry Laffer wrote:but I have been on many forums over the years that dealt with many subjects. As an admin and a moderator I always felt that folks should be required to register and sign in. Whether the information they give is viable or not is always in question but at least they have to make an effort to "join in"

My 2 cents :wink:

True, yet nontheless the traffic of forums that allow guests to post and view topics is larger than of those that dont. Some people simply dont feel like spending the time to register but post valuable info. Although I agree that it is laziness and that people should ''make the effort to join in'' some users still dont do it.
Oct 14th, 2006, 12:04 am
Oct 14th, 2006, 1:27 pm
lifehacker wrote:True, yet nontheless the traffic of forums that allow guests to post and view topics is larger than of those that dont.

Excuse me, as this thread starter, I have two cents more... :lol:

I think this preference for QUANTITY much more than QUALITY is quite incompatible with all the traffic/speed/load problems this forum has been experiencing for the last two months

Don't you agree?

:cry:

Thanks again

..._
Oct 14th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Charlie Brown
Oct 14th, 2006, 1:57 pm
Hmm.. tough topic. But I do agree with Val3r10, Larry Laffer & dsmturbo. Guests viewing everything and posting anywhere... I don't like that either...

And I think that if anyone, who wants to make a usefull (or not ;)) comment to a post, will not let a simple & fast registration method stand in their way. Even more, it will add to the feeling of - I'm part of... - that way they will be more compelled to 'join in' and post something too (Like larry said, took the words right out of my mouth :P). An other reason could be the fact that people just post something without logging in, then logging in and posting the same thing again... annoying isn't it? :P

Of course it works both ways, when guests aren't allowed to watch everything, some people might not bother registering at all... (but think about that for a second, do you want those ppl, and they will comsume a big part of the b/w, and for what...? Or would you rather prefere pll, of who you know that will contribute something, even if it's not a lot, it's still something.

One more reason could be that, if you kick out the guests, you can place the agreement page in the reg, that way 'every' member has agreed to it (otherwise they could not have regged) and the probs with seeing that page over and over again, would be gone too :D

I know you like watching guests reward some1 with WRZ$'s for a post...
But at what costs...(No harm intended, just saying...) :)

These are also just my 2 cents... 8)

PS.: Site really slow now...
Oct 14th, 2006, 1:57 pm

Retired moderator.

...and a 'lil ..(big) thank you, to a far away - but always near - friend: Image
"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
Oct 14th, 2006, 3:18 pm
One more reason could be that, if you kick out the guests, you can place the agreement page in the reg, that way 'every' member has agreed to it (otherwise they could not have regged) and the probs with seeing that page over and over again, would be gone too

not that easy.. becouse then someones account can be given out and then they say "i dident agree to that becouse its not my account!

now they realy cant see whats on the page until they agree.
Oct 14th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Oct 14th, 2006, 4:05 pm
gnagis wrote:now they realy cant see whats on the page until they agree.

"YOU" are agreeing on something somewhat illegal.
This point is absolutley unmeaningful.

Are you really saying that, if someone steal an account could report to some law officer SIMPLY BECAUSE he hasn't read and agreed with such disclaimer ?
Is it a joke or what ?

Sorry but IT couldn't be the point.
Btw the disclaimer (I'd prefer too getting rid of it and putting on the registration form only, as 99% forum does) and the desired traffic are two different problems, I think.

Hwr, forum became damn slow again... And if it's due to Guest traffic, I can't understand why it's so important.
Thanks

..._
Oct 14th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Charlie Brown
Oct 14th, 2006, 6:26 pm
the login / cookie problem is solved today... i think... me and lifehacker have been working hardd on it ;) but wee think it works now... also the server wee are on now is temporarly as the new server i have orderd had long setup time that i dident know was going to take this long, soon the site will be fast then your computer can say "im fast" rofl... nahh something like that ;)

also about the agreement... its better this way also i will change so that the cookie will be there for atleast 1 week befor you see the agree button again... so then you wont nearly think about it ;)
Oct 14th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Oct 14th, 2006, 7:14 pm
Thanks for all your efforts. Never getting tired to renew this...

I only would emphasize that a disclaimer, annoying or not, isn't a shield against people - or law enforcement - behavior...
Warez is warez, and people is starved...

Just let's keep minds up ! ;)

Thank YOU again

..._
Oct 14th, 2006, 7:14 pm

Charlie Brown
Oct 15th, 2006, 4:15 pm
gnagis wrote:the login / cookie problem is solved today... i think... me and lifehacker have been working hardd on it ;) but wee think it works now... also the server wee are on now is temporarly as the new server i have orderd had long setup time that i dident know was going to take this long, soon the site will be fast then your computer can say "im fast" rofl... nahh something like that ;)

also about the agreement... its better this way also i will change so that the cookie will be there for atleast 1 week befor you see the agree button again... so then you wont nearly think about it ;)

FYI, I still have the following problem with the agreement: even I'm already logged IN and browsing forums and search, when I open single thread pages I get the agreement.php page again and again, being redirected to the portal first page instead the one selected.

Thanks if you're still working on that

..._
Oct 15th, 2006, 4:15 pm

Charlie Brown
Oct 15th, 2006, 8:11 pm
now the problem is solved... uhm.. should be :P

yes you will be redirected 1 time but not after that :)

Ok people, the agreement problem is now fixed. Countless thanks for solving it go to our host gnagis!
Anybody still getting problems with the agreement redirects?

EDIT: looks like gnagis posted first :D
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:26 am
+++ As a result of recent spamming guest replies are now not allowed anymore +++

Just realized...
just would to
:thankyou:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

..._
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:26 am