Feedback or requests for help with the site.

What do you think of the idea?

I love it! 4
40%
I don't care... will never use it 3
30%
I hate it! 3
30%
Total votes : 10
Oct 20th, 2006, 3:14 pm
Hey peeps,

On many forums I've seen a shoutbox, that's a place where people can shout useless stuff that doesn't fit nowhere in the forum. It could also be used to ask help/info about some little things that would making a new thread about it look like spamming ect...

I feel that it would be a nice addition. And I've never posted a poll here, so...

Give us your 2 cents... :wink:
Oct 20th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Retired moderator.

...and a 'lil ..(big) thank you, to a far away - but always near - friend: Image
"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
Oct 20th, 2006, 6:17 pm
If it would help keep the release threads clean then I'm all for it.
Oct 20th, 2006, 6:17 pm
Oct 20th, 2006, 10:56 pm
Support :)
Oct 20th, 2006, 10:56 pm

Retired administrator.
Oct 21st, 2006, 8:46 am
#22858 by Guest
OOooooh yes! I love that idea. when will it be ready? :twisted:
Oct 21st, 2006, 8:46 am
Oct 21st, 2006, 12:06 pm
I'd love it, in other circumstances, but don't you think it'll overload the already painful response time of this forum, even on not-so-configured dedicated server ?
(as in the disclaimer)

Will guests be allowed to use the shoutbox too ?
Oct 21st, 2006, 12:06 pm
Oct 21st, 2006, 12:17 pm
I would prefer a shoutbox THAT IS LINKED to member names!! (MySQL)
So no guests can reply (that also will push guests to register aswell ;)).

And about the b/w question, a shoutbox consists of a few simple ASCII-codes (=text), no images, vids, ect.... So it only takes about a minimum of b/w. Even if 50 people post at once, it will be a lot less then 50 pll reloading PPC forum :D

Or, with all the probs this forumhas lately, maybe even putting the shoutbox on a diffrent host, a free (ad-free) host. (temp. solution, maybe to try it out first, untill al probs are gone) That way, it will be still online, even when the forum isn't. So people (and admins) can reply and assure everyone that the forum will be back or what probs it has ATM.

It's easy to implement a shoutbox (hosted on diffrent host) in the header of PPC. (with link to it, in case forum is down, people can go directly from favs) I would suggest: http://www.awardspace.com/ :D
:D

Want me to setup a trail-run?
Oct 21st, 2006, 12:17 pm

Retired moderator.

...and a 'lil ..(big) thank you, to a far away - but always near - friend: Image
"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
Oct 21st, 2006, 7:51 pm
Sounds pretty good. eXtreme, why dont you setup a trial-run on a free host to show us how you think the shoutbox should be.

Btw, the new server should be arriving this monday. It will take about 3 days though to set it up.
Oct 21st, 2006, 7:51 pm
Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:56 am
Great news about that server :D

I've quickly made a shoutbox. It's just a preview made with a free script. There are lot's more/better scripts out there.

ANYONE KNOW A GREAT PHP SHOUTBOX SCRIPT WITH LOT'S OF FEATURES??

Anyway, test it out here:

==> PPC Warez's Trail ShoutBox... take a look :D

Like I said, this is only a free script. Not very powerfull. But it's a test, so... :D
Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:56 am

Retired moderator.

Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:34 am
Very nice!
Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:34 am
Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:12 pm
Val3r10 wrote:
eXtreme wrote:Anyway, test it out here:

==> PPC Warez's Trail ShoutBox... take a look :D

I can't reach such site at all
:roll: :cry:

You are right, Valerio. But yesterday was possible to access to this site (Extreme proposal page). Today no more. Strange. I dont know absolutely why.
Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:12 pm
Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:22 pm
not working?
Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:22 pm

Retired administrator.
Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:23 pm
Hmmm, awardspace must be having probs :?
Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:23 pm

Retired moderator.

Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:34 pm
Nice, we used to have a chat here but I eventually removed it because it was not used much. Anyways, lets wait until we move to the new server and then I will integrate the shoutbox after Im done with the transition.
Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:34 pm
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:31 pm
Great :D thanks m8

PS.: Does anyone have a better shoutbox, that can be linkd to member names via the MySQL DB? Please PM LifeHacker. I'll reward you 250 WRZ$ (If I don't have them ATM, I'm sure LifeHacker will lend me a few to pay you :P)

Cheerz
X
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:31 pm

Retired moderator.