Feedback or requests for help with the site.
Jan 25th, 2021, 8:58 pm
This forum is good demonstration of why you can't give people petty powers over other.

I'm new here. I signed up because I'm looking for a book that the government doesn't allow you to have unless you're handicapped and support their fascist partnership with Adobe Digital Editions for some reason. Also, Mobilism forces you to sign up before you can see what books they have, for some reason. So I signed up, which took way too long. First they make me click on a bunch of pictures of cars and bridges as slave labor for Google's Project Echelon before they let me know that my 12345 password is not good enough for them, so I have to restart the entire process again, only to have them tell me my username is taken and that I have to start over at least once more. Whoever programmed this is probably hateful not stupid, and is the same person who programs logins for every company. Oh well, I'm used to it. That's not the real problem.

So I log in after signing up because I wasn't automatically logged in after signing up for some reason, and I search to see if Mobilism has my book. They don't. But one very fine person at least has another book in the same series. So I ask if he has the others. 5 minutes later a moderator deletes my request. This is in the middle of the night mind you. Apparently you're not allowed to ask this way. Crazy, right? The moderator at least seemed polite and sent me a PM explaining how this was not allowed, although there was no explanation why. Yeah I'm new and didn't read the rules. I didn't think I had to. This is a book sharing site, right? I can't imagine how many rules I'd be breaking if I were looking for something politically incorrect. Whatever. I'm sure they must have a good reason. My fault. So I make a new post, a formal request for the book I want, that the person who might have it probably won't see. We'll see.

Or not. I come back to the site a few hours later and I've got a second PM from a second person who deleted my second post ever on this site. This time, the problem, he claims, is that my request is invalid because the book I'm looking for has already been posted. And he gives me a link to the place where I had tried to ask for the book the first time, and tells me to post there if the link is expired, which it is. It's clearly not the same book, so that's two for two and I'm thinking, what's wrong with this guy? I look at his profile and it looks like he isn't a moderator. He's a "helper" but he's got moderator powers, and is more than a little eager to use them. I reply to him that it's not the same book and that he should reinstate my post. But I doubt he's even able to do that or that he would bother. Moderators err on the side of using the stick. That's what makes the internet safe for people who are scared of the internet.

This is ridiculous. I can't find any function to report a user for bad behavior, so I complain to the first moderator. He told me to talk to the other moderator, who isn't actually a moderator. I don't think he knew what I was talking about. He's probably censoring thousands of other posts. I reminded him that he's the one who involved himself, and that he's the only other person on this site I've talked to. What I'm trying to do is go above this other guy. I'm sure he'll get back to me, but not with the same vigor. These guys always protect their own. It's like a club for hall monitors. Anyway, I'm just sharing an incredibly unwelcoming experience. The solution is easy as all solutions are. Stop causing the problem. Get rid of your moderators. Get rid of your terms of service. Let people come together for their love of books and don't ever encourage the wrong sort of people.

All I wanted was a book.
Jan 25th, 2021, 8:58 pm
Jan 25th, 2021, 10:33 pm
Hi sdkwgn,
A couple quick things:
- Mobilism does not force you to sign up to see books, only to use search
- Mobilism does not force you to click on pictures. The only CAPTCHA we have is during registration and in the form of questions and answers. You must have triggered our firewall (Cloudflare).
- Mobilism does not actually have password requirements beyond having a password that's a minimum of six characters. 12345 is five characters.
- Mobilism allows politically incorrect content to be posted. In fact, we protect it even if we disagree with it. Please see: viewtopic.php?p=4086265#4086265

One of Mobilism's core values, if you can call it that, is maintaining a very strict organizational structure. Some like it, others don't. If you don't, no hard feelings, and there are other sites out there that prefer a more free-for-all approach.

The issue here stems from you not having read the rules. If you had, you would have seen that we do not request in topics or by messaging requests to users, we use the request section. Additionally you would have seen that we do not request books that are already posted, we respect the posters. And if the links are dead, we follow the same rules and send a private message to get new links. If you don't read the rules, as you yourself admitted to doing in the second paragraph, you expose yourself to "aggressive moderating" - which is what moderators do to make sure the rules are followed.

Again, Mobilism just doesn't seem to be the site for you. We do have what some some may consider a draconian approach to moderating in order to keep the site organized. It's a big internet out there, just pick a sharing site that is more to your liking.
Jan 25th, 2021, 10:33 pm
Jan 30th, 2021, 2:53 pm
Its not hard to follow rules especially when you balance that "restriction" with what you get from a site like this ;-)
Jan 30th, 2021, 2:53 pm
Feb 17th, 2021, 10:02 am
The OP is a perfect example of people who think the world revolves around them and everybody has time for their bullshit.
Feb 17th, 2021, 10:02 am
Feb 18th, 2021, 8:34 pm
sdkwgn wrote: All I wanted was a book.

I have never received any aggression from any mod here in fact they are always helpful.....yes I also made a few mistakes ..... just like you, I did not read the Rules

I was in fault so I choice to be mature and apologize - If you in the wrong, you are in the wrong it doesn't help to scream foul

Just sit back and think for a second.....You got irritated but they have to deal with 100's of ignoramus members everyday and must sometimes feel as if they can throttle members through the screen....

Also remember they are all volunteers doing it in their free time for free so that you can get your book for free.

Mods and helpers treats everyone the same and they certainly don't think they King or Queen of Mobi

The solution is easy as all solutions are - You are correct - Just follow the rules and there won't be any problems - Problem solved
Feb 18th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Mar 15th, 2021, 12:56 pm
Trust me. This is a no issue. When I was uploading books on a now defunct forum the mod one Reg84 deleted my uploads without any cogent reason and then behaved like a jackass about it when I called him out about it. He was a classic example of a dog barking to keep everyone away from the manger. Here in contrast all mods are pleasant spoken and extremely polite when drawing attention to a violation of rules. You couldn't find a better forum anywhere.
Mar 15th, 2021, 12:56 pm
Mar 15th, 2021, 12:57 pm
krookssir wrote:Trust me. This is a no issue. When I was uploading books on a now defunct forum the mod one Reg84 deleted my uploads without any cogent reason and then behaved like a jackass about it when I called him out about it. He was a classic example of a dog barking to keep everyone away from the manger. Here in contrast all mods are pleasant spoken and extremely polite when drawing attention to a violation of rules. You couldn't find a better forum anywhere.

Totally.. I didnt realise I bust a rule today. I was told very nicely and without unpleasantness. Great place here
Mar 15th, 2021, 12:57 pm
Mar 20th, 2021, 4:20 am
1wendy1 wrote:
sdkwgn wrote: All I wanted was a book.

Just sit back and think for a second.....You got irritated but they have to deal with 100's of ignoramus members everyday and must sometimes feel as if they can throttle members through the screen....

Also remember they are all volunteers doing it in their free time for free so that you can get your book for free.
[.....]
The solution is easy as all solutions are - You are correct - Just follow the rules and there won't be any problems - Problem solved

Exactly. I was part of another book-sharing forum that went belly up for these exact issues. The main moderators and book uploaders got sick of it and left. Constantly reminding people to please read the FAQ first and then getting attitude in return! The members wondered why the gold egg-laying geese disappeared :roll: It's because new members frequently did not read the rules or FAQ before starting to post and ask for books. Or they ask for step-by-step instructions on how to do something (how do I download this browser extension, how do I read an epub file, how to transfer a DLed audio/ebook onto their device, etc.) which was all explained in the FAQ (or could easily be Googled for that matter!) No efforts made to learn these things on their own, just asked to be spoonfed information. They joined and immediately stuck their hand out asking for stuff without doing the courtesy of reading how the board runs to prevent pointlessly repetitive questions/requests which clogs the board. Uploaders (givers) end up feeling like their time and efforts aren't appreciated if "takers" can't even spend the ~5 minutes it takes to read the Rules and FAQ section and follow them...
Mar 20th, 2021, 4:20 am