Feedback or requests for help with the site.

Would you like the links to change?

Poll ended at Aug 27th, 2009, 10:14 pm

Leave it how it is (90 characters) 1
17%
Increase it to somewhere between 120-150 characters 2
33%
Change it so full URLs show regardless of length 3
50%
Total votes : 6
Jul 30th, 2009, 2:11 pm
Hi,

Can you put back the full listing of long links on topics (the following issue seems to occur only with long urls? Perhaps, extending the limit before concatenation goes to work?)? For example, instead of (excuse the space after "h" on what should be "http")
Code: Select allh ttp://rapidshare.com/files/123456789/... 1.rar.html
the download instructions would instead show
Code: Select allh ttp://rapidshare.com/files/123456789/ANYFILE_QVGA.part1.rar.html

I'd requested dawson about this months ago when the site went down (probably this is the default config) and he proceeded to fix this. Lately (or maybe longer), however, this "concatenation" is happening again.

I'm asking this because I use a download manager and it is convenient for me (perhaps, to other members, too) to just highlight/select the links, which my download manager captures. Right now, because of the anonym redirection embedded in the link, I have to click each link to get the direct links. (I also use a script to strip the anonym.to line from the link but it sometimes doesn't work well -- I'm not a programmer ;) ).

I am looking forward to your considering this request.

mayo v.
Jul 30th, 2009, 2:11 pm

>> mayo v. <<
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:13 pm
The URLs have always been short since we moved to phpBB3 and they truncate at about 90 characters. This is not an option we can switch on/off as it's how the posts are actually stored in the database.

We would need some serious buy in to this idea if you want to change it. I've added a poll to your post. Changing the length to 120-150 should make it so most download accounts show full links while really long links will still be truncated.
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:13 pm