Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
Mar 22nd, 2018, 7:41 am
Candlepin Bowling in Maine

Candlepin bowling is a variation of bowling that is played primarily in the Canadian Maritime provinces and the New England states of the United States.

Candlepin bowling was developed in 1880 in Worcester, Massachusetts, by Justin White, a local bowling center owner, some years before both the standardization of the tenpin bowling sport in 1895 and the invention of duckpin bowling, said by some sources to have been invented the same year. As in other forms of bowling, the players roll balls down a wooden pathway ("lane") to knock down as many pins as possible.

The main differences between candlepin bowling and the predominant tenpin bowling style are that each player uses three balls per frame, rather than two (see below); the balls are much smaller (11.43 cm or 4½ in diameter) with each ball weighing as much as only one candlepin and without finger holes; the pins are thinner (hence the name "candlepin"), and thus harder to knock down; and the downed pins (known as "wood") are not cleared away between balls during a player's turn.

Because of these differences, scoring points is considerably more difficult than in tenpin bowling, and the highest officially sanctioned score ever recorded is 245 out of a possible 300 points. This score was first achieved in 1984 by Ralph Semb, who is the President of the International Candlepin Bowling Association as of 2016. The record was matched on May 13, 2011 by Chris Sargent of Haverhill, Massachusetts, at the Metro Bowl Lanes candlepin center in Peabody, Massachusetts, and accepted by the ICBA.

Mar 22nd, 2018, 7:41 am

But this rose is an extra. - A. Conan Doyle
Mar 22nd, 2018, 8:48 am
DAY 1 - PICK TWO
Gonzaga
Kentucky
Mar 22nd, 2018, 8:48 am
Mar 22nd, 2018, 10:01 am
Thanks, John!! :thumbup: :)

Funny thing is, I've been planning to make some nice long post, maybe the history of my love-affair with sports, or at least something with the personal touch, to get this reward! :-P :lol:

But when I provided these updates/live scores, this reward was the last thing on my mind, I swear! :D I simple did it because I knew I could, and so why not help? :wink:

Oh well, this will be only my stimulus to still go through with that post...one day :lol:
Mar 22nd, 2018, 10:01 am
Mar 22nd, 2018, 10:54 am
After doing my daily scan through the topics, contests and such I saw John's post about this being a thread for not only betting on sport but to have a discussion about it also. Now I am through and through a couch potato but I thought about what John said and would like to ask you other posters here a simple question
" Why do you love what you love?"
Now I would hope that we can all appreciate the fact that this is a sports thread and try to keep on topic but I know for some of you the answer is simple when it comes to sports... "I dont love them!" an that's ok but I would like those of you who do, to please share with us a little reason as to why.

Now I don't thinks it's fair to ask others to share if I'm not willing to do the same so here goes... BOXING.

I have a pure love for boxing for one very simple reason, my grandfather. Now that may sound strange to love a sport because of someone else but hear me out.
When I was younger I never understood that part of boxing, I just thought you went in the ring and tried to hit the other guy harder and faster than he could hit you. It wasn't until I started to grow up and really take notice of what was going on that I saw the bigger picture. For most fighters they train because it helps them, it gives them a feeling of pride to know they can do it, or for others it's a release of pressure and for a select few it's a science, an art form of the body not unlike dance.

You see, that was what my grandfather was seeing when we watched those fights when I was a child, I saw two men trying to hit each other, he saw the other part, he saw the hours of hard work, the dedication it had taken these two people to be able to stand there and not only punch but to move, to dance around the ring and find an open space to hit, to move out of the other persons reach. To look for a counter to a counter and find it.

My grandfather grew up loving a lot of sports... I didn't... I was the black sheep of the family because I have a love of reading. As I have grown up and watched more and more boxing and started to see what he saw all those years ago, the art to the sport, then we started to be able to talk more. The last few months before I lost him we spent takling about boxing and some of the old fights we watched together, I will always be able to go back and watch those fights again and remember the look on his face as he talked about them, only this time around I will have our shared love of the sport to help me understand why is smiled so much when he spoke about them.

So folks, what helped shape your love for a sport?
Mar 22nd, 2018, 10:54 am

Life has ups and downs, right now I am not up.
Call me inactive and replace my posts as you find them.
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:07 pm

SPORTS CENTER CONTEST #25

MARCH MADNESS - ROUND 3
DAY 2 - PICK TWO

And we move to Day Two of Round Three, with another four games on the slate... and another round of Pick Two. For those that didn't see the Day One Contest, this event is pretty simple. All you have to do is pick two winners. You can pick any of the teams from the four games. You just select two teams, and ignore the other games. Both teams you select have to win for you to share the 1000 WRZ$ Pool

How to read the information provided:
In game one, it shows "No. 1 Kansas (-4) vs No.5 Clemson"
This means that Kansas is the number 1 seed (Best Team) in the South Region. Clemson is the 5 seed (5th best team) in the Region. 1 is better than 5, but as we've seen, any team can beat any team ;)
The (-4) means the "experts" think Kansas will win by 4 points

INFORMATION
GAME ONE
Midwest Region
No. 1 Kansas (-4) vs No.5 Clemson

GAME TWO
East Region
No. 1 Villanova (-5) vs No. 5 West Virginia

GAME THREE
Midwest Region
No. 2 Duke (-11) vs No. 11 Syracuse

GAME FOUR
East Region
No. 2 Purdue (-2) vs No. 3 Texas Tech

What is it?
A contest where you pick two teams out of the four games, and they both have to win for you to win.

How do you play?
To enter this contest, you will need to post the following:
DAY 2 - PICK TWO
And select 2 teams that you think will win

EXAMPLE POST
DAY 2 - PICK TWO
Duke
Villanova

Rules:
Pick two winners
Only 1 post per person for this specific contest, any more and all of your posts will be disallowed.

ALL PICKS MUST BE MADE PRIOR TO THE FOLLOWING TIMES:
Fri 6 PM Chicago (UTC -5)
Fri 11 PM GMT (UTC +0)
Or - 34 hours from the time of this post.
Any picks made after this deadline will simply be ignored.
Any edits after this deadline, and your post will be disallowed.

Reward:
If you can correctly guess the winner of two of the games, you will share the 1000 WRZ$ Pool

So, Pick Two to Win!
You don’t have a lot of time to make your picks, so do it!

For an index of open events and a directory of recent contest results, go HERE

Bringing you 24 hour 365 days a year sports coverage

Sports Center is ON!
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:07 pm

Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:08 pm
DAY 2 - PICK TWO
Duke
Villanova
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:08 pm

Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:16 pm
DAY 2 - PICK TWO
Duke
Kansas
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:16 pm

Image@anna1561_mobi Image #contests
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:20 pm
DAY 2 - PICK TWO
Duke
Villanova
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:20 pm
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:24 pm
DAY 2 - PICK TWO
Perdue
Villanova
DAY 2 - PICK TWO
Duke
Villanova

If you want to be happy, be... Happiness depends upon ourselves. :wave:

Cheers,
Diva ♥ x
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:28 pm
DAY 2 - PICK TWO
Duke
Villanova
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:28 pm
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:34 pm
DAY 2 - PICK TWO
I'll go with the chalk
Duke
Villanova
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:34 pm

Life has ups and downs, right now I am not up.
Call me inactive and replace my posts as you find them.
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:37 pm
DAY 2 - PICK TWO
Duke
Villanova
Mar 22nd, 2018, 3:37 pm