Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
Jun 7th, 2021, 7:44 pm
Hyderabad Man Braves Floods, Natural Disasters To Rescue 77000+ Animals

Hyderabad-based Pradeep Nair runs the Animal Warriors Conservation Society and uses tactical measures to rescue animals from natural disasters and more

On Ameenpur, Hyderabad, 37-year-old Pradeep Nair’s house is a rare sight. He shares his home with over a dozen dogs, affected with various disabilities, impairments and those without limbs.

Pradeep has adopted and is sheltering these dogs, which otherwise don’t find “preference” among those looking to find a pet. But he is an animal lover who rescues and helps animals in pain without any hesitation — be it an injured bird stuck in a manja (thread used to fly kites), a dog having fallen in a well, an injured monkey in the backyard, or a snake that has lost his way inside a neighbourhood house. In fact, he has been doing so since he was a student.

Pradeep completed his graduation in 2007 and started working as a software developer in the IT industry. However, he could not let go of his love for animals. He worked with NGOs including Blue Cross as a volunteer in his free time. The passion for rescuing and saving animals in danger only grew strong over time.

As he volunteered and was associated with different initiatives, Pradeep learned that while many people work to rescue animals in distress, only a handful of human resources, finances and equipment exist to address the issue. Moreover, rescuing animals in a life-threatening situation sometimes demands long hours and persistent efforts.

Citing an example to The Better India, Pradeep says, “On New Year’s Eve in 2018, we received a call from a local that there was a puppy stuck inside the boulders on the outskirts of the rocky mountain of the city. The local had followed the cries of the dog to the spot and called us for rescue. The operation took 48 hours. So while people were welcoming the new year, we were struggling to save a puppy.”

This is one instance among thousands where Pradeep has gone out of his way to rescue animals. From jumping in wells to rescue buffaloes to saving porcupines and baby elephants, he has done it all and rescued over 77,000 animals to date.

An animal’s best friend
Pradeep says that such operations require finances, time and resources, which make them difficult. “Hence, I decided to focus on tactical rescuing that involves finding innovative solutions to help animals in need. In 2012, a handful of volunteers joined, and we started Animal Warriors India with a Facebook page and stepped up work,” he adds.

Pradeep receives calls from people who spot animals in distress. “We may have to head down a 100-foot well or strategise makeshift arrangements. At times, the resources or equipment have to be procured from elsewhere,” he explains.

Aravind, an IT professional from Hyderabad, says he met Pradeep on a similar occasion when he reported a dog in need of rescue in 2017. “The team of volunteers rushed and took all efforts to safely rescue it. Pradeep and his team are highly skilled and have experience in handling difficult situations. I have joined other rescue missions where animals even find themselves stuck in plastic containers. It is difficult to chase and rescue an animal when it is hyper and under trauma,” he adds.

During the 2018 Kerala floods, Pradeep and his team reached the state to rescue snakes, dogs, cats and wild animals stuck in the floods. “We rescued 480 animals in 40 hours. The experience also helped us learn that there are no dedicated agencies to rescue animals during a natural calamity or disaster. Since then, we extend support across south India to local NGOs and government departments in rescuing animals from cyclones, floods and other calamities,” he adds.

‘A rare asset’
“Since my early days, I have rescued 10-15 animals a day. On many occasions, I worked from 3 am until 11 pm. Initially, the animals were mainly cats, dogs, snakes, monkeys and others. Later on, we started focusing on wild animals and birds such as jungle cats, flamingos, monitor lizards, and pelicans. All the wild animals rescued in the vicinity of Hyderabad are taken to the Nehru Zoological Park for treatment,” he says. “We have no facility to take care of wild animals for days. The zoo serves as a haven for such needy animals.”

In 2018, he quit his IT job and decided to focus all his energy on rescuing animals. “My wife Santoshi also met me during one such rescue drive, and so she understands my passion. Together, we started and registered the NGO Animal Warriors Conservation Society and hired two others,” he says.

Subhadra Devi, deputy conservator of forest and curator at the park, says, “Pradeep’s work is commendable and he shows no hesitation in spending money from his own pocket to travel 200-300 km for rescue work. The department ropes him in when needed and understands his skills in handling animals.”

Subhadra says that trained citizens like Pradeep can play a vital role in rescuing animals. “It is not always possible for officials to reach the location during a distress call. Trained locals or individuals like him can provide timely intervention to save the animal,” she adds.

When Pradeep saw animals consuming or becoming entangled in plastic products, he started cleanliness drives along lakes and other areas. “We have collected 6,500 kilos of plastic waste so far,” he adds.

Aravind says that Pradeep has taken a brave decision to dedicate his life to animal rescue. “I am an IT professional too but don’t have the courage to give up my job and dedicate my life to saving animals full time. There is a lack of motivation and money in the sector. At times difficult and painful decisions are to be made, such as whether to let the animal go and relieve it from the pain during extreme health conditions. Moreover, the risks to your own life are immense during rescue operations. But he’ll head down a 100-foot well swiftly.”

He adds, “There is pure passion behind the effort. Pradeep’s uniqueness is in that the work is not limited to his NGO. He extends support to others or animal rescuers in the network to provide the right assistance. I am glad that people like Pradeep are around,” he adds.

https://www.thebetterindia.com/256222/h ... oes-him16/
Jun 7th, 2021, 7:44 pm
Jun 7th, 2021, 7:49 pm
The UK’s national parks embraced citizen science

Amateur ecologists were this week invited to embrace their inner Chris Packham, by taking part in a citizen science project to help boost biodiversity in the UK’s national parks.

Restrictions on international travel are expected to bolster turnout in the country’s already popular conservation areas this summer. Those planning a trip are being invited to map and record the species that they spot via the free Look Wild app. The data will be used to “enhance landscapes”.

Tony Gates, chief executive of Northumberland National Park Authority, said: “One of the undoubted silver linings of the past difficult year has been how people have valued and sought out a connection with the countryside. The Look Wild project will take the connection a step further. Together we will help the natural environment to thrive.”

Two other UK citizen science projects launched this week: one to track beetles, another to count splattered insects on car registration plates. The data will help scientists understand bug populations.
Jun 7th, 2021, 7:49 pm

Jun 7th, 2021, 9:02 pm
Loose donkey trots down Rhode Island road

June 7 (UPI) -- A driver on a Rhode Island road captured video of an unusual pedestrian wandering in the roadway: a loose donkey.

Authorities in Johnston said the donkey was first spotted about 7 p.m. Sunday near the border with Scituate and was seen again at 8:30 p.m., but police were unable to locate the wandering animal.

The city of Johnston famously dealt with a loose steer that escaped on its way to a slaughterhouse in February, and the animal was on the loose for nearly two months before being recaptured.

The city's authorities also dealt with a trio of nuisance turkeys that caused traffic hazards for weeks in 2018.

Mayor Joseph Polisena said the donkey could prove difficult to corral.

"He looks like he's in good shape. He's fast," Polisena told The Providence Journal. "I'm hoping my animal control people can keep up with him."

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/06/07 ... 623088718/
Jun 7th, 2021, 9:02 pm
Jun 8th, 2021, 12:34 am
History News
Frozen History: The Story of the Popsicle
The mastermind behind this summer indulgence wasn’t a marketing honcho, or even a chef—it was an 11-year-old boy.
He accidentally made the first popsicle when he left a glass of soda with a stirring stick outside in freezing weather. Later, during the great depression, he made the single popsicle into twins so that hungry children could share two smaller popsicles for the price of one.

Frozen desserts have been enjoyed for millennia. Ancient Roman slaves were sent up into the mountains to retrieve blocks of ice, to be crushed and served with fruit and spice syrups. Medieval Venetial explorer Marco Polo enjoyed sorbets and ices when he traveled to the Chinese court of Kublai Khan. And in the early history of the United States, Thomas Jefferson entertained many visitors to Monticello with iced sorbets and freezes.

Fast forward to the 1905, when an 11-year-old boy named Frank Epperson of Oakland, California had an accidental epiphany after he inadvertently left a glass—filled with water, powdered soda mix and a wooden stick for stirring—outside overnight. When young Frank found the glass in the morning, the soda mixture was frozen solid, so he ran the glass under hot water and removed the ice pop using the stick as a handle. Frank, who knew he'd stumbled across a great idea, kept making the pops for his friends—and when he became an adult, he made them for his own children.

READ MORE: Why Ice Cream Soared in Popularity During Prohibition

In 1923, Epperson filed for a patent for his invention. Up until then, he had been calling the frozen treats “Eppsicles,” but his children insisted on calling them “Pop’s ‘sicles.” The latter name stuck and the Popsicle was born.

The frozen treat was an immediate success, especially after Epperson partnered with the Joe Lowe Co., which helped to distribute them at entertainment sites like Brooklyn’s Coney Island amusement park. The first Popsicles sold for just five cents and came in seven flavors (including cherry, which is still the most popular).

Just a few years after the dessert debuted, the double-stick Popsicle was introduced. It was at the height of the Depression, and the single pop with two sticks allowed two hungry children to share a pop easily, for the same price as a single.
Jun 8th, 2021, 12:34 am
Jun 8th, 2021, 11:55 am

I sometimes get REALLY DEPRESSED reviewing the news these days.
It's always about a global pandemic threatening life as we know it,
protests around the world, stupid politicians, natural disasters,
or some other really bad story.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Welcome to The mobi weekly news magazine
IN OTHER NEWS
TUESDAY JUNE 8

What is it?
Here is your chance to become an "ACE REPORTER" for our weekly news magazine.
It is your job to fine weird, funny or "good feel" stories from around the world and share them with our readers in our weekly magazine

How do you play?
Just post a story that you have come across that made you smile, laugh, feel good...
BUT NOTHING DEPRESSING :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EXAMPLE POST
Naked sunbather chases wild boar through park after it steals his laptop bag
A naked sunbather was seen chasing wild boar through a park after it stole his laptop bag.
Amusing photographs from Germany show the man running after the animal to try and claim the plastic bag back.
But the cheeky boar and its two piglets appear to be too quick for the sunbather, who can't keep up with their speedy little trotters.
As the incident unfolds, groups of friends and family sat on the grass watch on and laugh.
Heads are seen turning in surprise and amusement in the hilarious photographs.
The incident happened at Teufelssee Lake - a bathing spot in the Grunwell Forest in Berlin, Germany.

Rules:
Each Edition of IN OTHER NEWS will be open for 7 days...
You can post as many stories as you like, but you will only get paid for One Story in any 24 hour period
So in other words, you can only earn WRZ$ once a day.
Each news day will start when I post announcing it
OR at:
9:00 AM CHICAGO TIME (UTC -5)
2:00 PM GMT (UTC -0)

on those days I space out and forget to post or can't due to Real Life :lol:
Stories may be accompanied with images - but No big images, please! 800x800 pixels wide maximum
Videos are allowed, but please keep them short, and post a short summary for those that don't like to click on videos
No Duplicate stories - Where a post has been edited resulting in duplicates, then the last one in time gets disallowed.
And please limit this to reasonably family friendly stories :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reward:
Each news story posted that I feel is acceptable (must be a real story, too few words or simply a headline are not considered acceptable) will earn you 50 WRZ$
If you post multiple stories on any given day, you will only earn 50 WRZ$ for the first story of the Day
All payments will be made at THE END of the weekly news cycle.
Special Bonus - Each week I will award "The Pulitzer Prize" for the best story of the week
The weekly winner of the "The Pulitzer Prize" will receive a 100 WRZ$ bonus
It's just my personal opinion, so my judgement is final

So help bring GOOD news to the members of mobi, and join our reporting team...

IN OTHER NEWS

Jun 8th, 2021, 11:55 am

Jun 8th, 2021, 12:11 pm

June 8 is the 159th day of the year (160th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar; 206 days remain until the end of the year.

Pre-1600
218 – Battle of Antioch: With the support of the Syrian legions, Elagabalus defeats the forces of emperor Macrinus.[1]
793 – Vikings raid the abbey at Lindisfarne in Northumbria, commonly accepted as the beginning of Norse activity in the British Isles.[2]
1042 – Edward the Confessor becomes King of England - the country's penultimate Anglo-Saxon king.[3]
1191 – Richard I arrives in Acre, beginning his crusade.

1601-1900
1663 – Portuguese victory at the Battle of Ameixial ensures Portugal's independence from Spain.[4]
1776 – American Revolutionary War: American attackers are driven back at the Battle of Trois-Rivières.
1783 – Laki, a volcano in Iceland, begins an eight-month eruption which kills over 9,000 people and starts a seven-year famine.
1789 – James Madison introduces twelve proposed amendments to the United States Constitution in Congress.
1794 – Robespierre inaugurates the French Revolution's new state religion, the Cult of the Supreme Being, with large organized festivals all across France.
1856 – A group of 194 Pitcairn Islanders, descendants of the mutineers of HMS Bounty, arrives at Norfolk Island, commencing the Third Settlement of the Island.
1861 – American Civil War: Tennessee secedes from the Union.
1862 – American Civil War: Battle of Cross Keys: Confederate forces under General Stonewall Jackson save the Army of Northern Virginia from a Union assault on the James Peninsula led by General George B. McClellan.
1867 – Coronation of Franz Joseph as King of Hungary following the Austro-Hungarian compromise (Ausgleich).
1887 – Herman Hollerith applies for US patent #395,781 for the 'Art of Compiling Statistics', which was his punched card calculator.

1901-present
1906 – Theodore Roosevelt signs the Antiquities Act into law, authorizing the President to restrict the use of certain parcels of public land with historical or conservation value.
1912 – Carl Laemmle incorporates Universal Pictures.
1918 – A solar eclipse is observed at Baker City, Oregon by scientists and an artist hired by the United States Navy.
1928 – Second Northern Expedition: The National Revolutionary Army captures Peking, whose name is changed to Beijing ("Northern Capital").
1929 – Margaret Bondfield is appointed Minister of Labour. She is the first woman appointed to the Cabinet of the United Kingdom.[5]
1940 – World War II: The completion of Operation Alphabet, the evacuation of Allied forces from Narvik at the end of the Norwegian Campaign.
1941 – World War II: The Allies commence the Syria–Lebanon Campaign against the possessions of Vichy France in the Levant.
1942 – World War II: The Japanese imperial submarines I-21 and I-24 shell the Australian cities of Sydney and Newcastle.
1949 – Helen Keller, Dorothy Parker, Danny Kaye, Fredric March, John Garfield, Paul Muni and Edward G. Robinson are named in an FBI report as Communist Party members.
1949 – George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four is published.
1953 – An F5 tornado hits Beecher, Michigan, killing 116, injuring 844, and destroying 340 homes.
1953 – The United States Supreme Court rules in District of Columbia v. John R. Thompson Co. that restaurants in Washington, D.C., cannot refuse to serve black patrons.
1959 – USS Barbero and the United States Postal Service attempt the delivery of mail via Missile Mail.
1966 – An F-104 Starfighter collides with XB-70 Valkyrie prototype no. 2, destroying both aircraft during a photo shoot near Edwards Air Force Base. Joseph A. Walker, a NASA test pilot, and Carl Cross, a United States Air Force test pilot, are both killed.
1966 – Topeka, Kansas, is devastated by a tornado that registers as an "F5" on the Fujita scale: The first to exceed US$100 million in damages. Sixteen people are killed, hundreds more injured, and thousands of homes damaged or destroyed.
1966 – The National Football League and American Football League announced a merger effective in 1970.
1967 – Six-Day War: The USS Liberty incident occurs, killing 34 and wounding 171.
1968 – James Earl Ray, the man who assassinated Martin Luther King Jr. is arrested at a London airport.[6]
1972 – Vietnam War: Nine-year-old Phan Thị Kim Phúc is burned by napalm, an event captured by Associated Press photographer Nick Ut moments later while the young girl is seen running down a road, in what would become an iconic, Pulitzer Prize-winning photo.
1982 – Bluff Cove Air Attacks during the Falklands War: Fifty-six British servicemen are killed by an Argentine air attack on two landing ships, RFA Sir Galahad and RFA Sir Tristram.
1982 – 128 people are killed when VASP Flight 168 crashes in Pacatuba, Ceará, Brazil.[7]
1984 – Homosexuality is declared legal in the Australian state of New South Wales.
1987 – New Zealand's Labour government establishes a national nuclear-free zone under the New Zealand Nuclear Free Zone, Disarmament, and Arms Control Act 1987.
1992 – The first World Oceans Day is celebrated, coinciding with the Earth Summit held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
1995 – Downed U.S. Air Force pilot Captain Scott O'Grady is rescued by U.S. Marines in Bosnia.
2001 – Mamoru Takuma kills eight and injures 15 in a mass stabbing at an elementary school in the Osaka Prefecture of Japan.
2004 – The first Venus Transit in well over a century takes place, the previous one being in 1882.
2007 – Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia, is hit by the State's worst storms and flooding in 30 years resulting in the death of nine people and the grounding of a trade ship, the MV Pasha Bulker.
2008 – At least 37 miners go missing after an explosion in a Ukrainian coal mine causes it to collapse.
2008 – At least seven people are killed and ten injured in a stabbing spree in Tokyo, Japan.
2009 – Two American journalists are found guilty of illegally entering North Korea and sentenced to 12 years of penal labour.
2014 – At least 28 people are killed in an attack at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi, Pakistan.
Jun 8th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Jun 8th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Video shows man hurling baby at Florida deputies after high-speed chase
Monday, June 7th 2021

GIFFORD, Fla. (WPEC) – New video shows a deputy holding a baby that had been tossed to him by a father who led deputies on a wild high-speed chase in Florida.

Indian River County Deputy Jacob Curby caught the flying baby as other deputies rushed in to arrest 32-year-old John Henry James III on multiple counts of aggravated child abuse, reckless driving, resisting arrest with violence, aggravated battery on an officer and fleeing and eluding.

The Indian River County Sheriff's Office said it all happened on May 26.

A deputy spotted a Nissan Rogue driving erratically. The sheriff's office said Vice units tried to pull the driver over, but the driver ignored the sirens and kept driving.

As the Vice team called off its pursuit, a deputy tracked the vehicle speeding down a nearby street. The Indian River County Sheriff's Office helicopter began tracking the car from the air. The Nissan stopped in front of a home before taking off again.

One deputy tried a PIT maneuver to stop the car near a trailer park but was unsuccessful. Police say the suspect's car then crashed into an unmarked patrol car. Deputies used stop sticks to disable the car as the driver led deputies into an apartment complex.

At that moment, the sheriff's office said James ran from his car while carrying a small child in his arms.

As James ran down a breezeway in the complex, the sheriff's office said he tossed the 2-month-old baby at Curby.

Police say the infant was not hurt.

Deputies eventually captured James in a parking lot and took him to the hospital because he had cuts to his face and claimed he couldn't breathe. At the hospital, deputies noticed the odor of alcohol on his breath.

The sheriff's office also cited James for failure to drive within a single lane, the initial violation which prompted the pursuit.
https://kutv.com/news/nation-world/vide ... peed-chase
Jun 8th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Jun 8th, 2021, 12:22 pm
'Hero rat' Magawa retires after five years spent sniffing out landmines in Cambodia

Magawa "deserves to relax" after five years of service, his employers said.

Magawa the "hero rat," whose work sniffing out landmines in Cambodia won him a medal for life-saving bravery, is retiring after a distinguished five-year career.

The African giant pouched rat has found 71 landmines and 38 items of unexploded ordnance during his service, according to APOPO, the mine-clearing non-governmental organization that trained him.

His work saw him win a gold medal from the British veterinary charity the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) last year.

But APOPO said the revered rodent, who turns seven later this year, has "worked hard and deserves to relax now."

"Although still in good health, he has reached a retirement age and is clearly starting to slow down," APOPO said. "It is time."

His work has helped the organization clear more than 225,000 square meters of land in Cambodia, where decades of conflict have left the landscape strewn with dangerous unexploded devices.

Magawa and his award-winning nose at work in Cambodia.

Magawa is larger than the average pet rat, but still light enough to never set off a landmine by walking over it, the way human de-miners might. That advantage led APOPO to train him and other rats to detect the scent of the explosive chemicals used in landmines and point them out to their handlers.

The group praised Magawa for "allowing local communities to live, work, play and be educated; without fear of losing life or limb."

African giant pouched rats are intelligent and easy to train; Magawa began training from a young age, and "passed all his tests with flying colors" before being deployed to Cambodia, the PDSA said when awarding him their medal.

He has been trained to ignore scrap metal lying about, and signals to his handler when he detects a landmine's exact location. He's so fast at finding landmines that he can clear an area the size of a tennis court in 30 minutes -- something that might take a human four days using a metal detector, the PDSA said.

The United States dropped unexploded ordnance across Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos during the Vietnam War. Then, after the fall of the Khmer Rouge, the ensuing civil war and Vietnamese invasion saw more landmines laid across the Southeast Asian nation.

APOPO said it cleared 4.3 million square meters of land last year in Cambodia alone, which "would not have been possible without the help of little heroes like Magawa." The organization operates in 59 countries.

Source
Jun 8th, 2021, 12:22 pm

Jun 8th, 2021, 12:55 pm
Furious Farmer Uses Tractor To Flip Car Blocking His Gate

A furious farmer flipped a car with his tractor and pushed it down the road after it blocked his gate.

Footage shared on Snapchat, captioned 'Glad it was just me courtesy car', shows the farmer flipping the silver car as a topless man angrily kicks his tractor.

The farmer then proceeds to push the car down the road on its side, before dumping it and spinning around.

At this point, the topless fella continues to bang on the tractor, and as it turns around it scythes him to the ground.

His protests were in vain.

The farmer then drives back to his land over the broken glass and debris, as if it's the most normal thing in the world.

The incident took place near Barnard Castle in County Durham on Saturday (5 June) and police are now investigating.

A Durham Constabulary spokesperson told LADbible: "We were alerted to reports of an incident at a farm in the Teesdale area shortly after 5.45pm on June 5.

"Officers attended the scene and an investigation into the circumstances is ongoing."

The dramatic scenes were apparently an escalation of an ongoing row between the farmer and a group of youths, who had previously damaged his property, according to reports.

A source told MailOnline: "The lads had parked their car onto his drive.

"He asked them to move but they didn't seem to want to obey.

"He had no choice but to take matters into his own hands and remove the ruffians from his property himself."

Dairy farmer Mark Nicholson added: "There's a lot more to this story. He's a friend of a colleague - he's been driven mad by these lot starting fires, pushing walls over... just to name a few things.

"Not saying it's right but they pushed him to the end of his tether."

The video was shared on Twitter by Radio 2 host Jeremy Vine, and people have been dishing out their opinions on the barney.

One person said: "There was an easier solution to this, farmer should have chained and padlocked his gate closed.

"Stopping the car from leaving then waited for car owner to knock on his door, he could've then charged him whatever amount to open the gate.

"No court, no lawyer bills."

Another commented: "As satisfying as it is to see someone... get his just desserts, this is definitely criminal damage and perhaps even GBH when he hits him with the vehicle."

While a third disagreed: "I fully condone this. Well done farmer for getting rid of this car in front of his gate."

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-furiou ... e-20210607
Jun 8th, 2021, 12:55 pm
Jun 8th, 2021, 2:23 pm
More than 100 people celebrate illegal party in the hollow body of the A4

This illegal party is beyond imagination: apparently more than 100 people are celebrating at the weekend in the hollow body of a bridge on the A4 – and not for the first time.

In times of the corona pandemic, celebratory people are finding more and more bizarre places to pursue forbidden gatherings and parties. Probably the most curious location of the past few days is located in Overath-Vilkerath in the Rheinisch-Bergischer Kreis in North Rhine-Westphalia. According to the police, an illegal party took place there at the A4bridge in the Schlingenbach valley, the extent of which is beyond imagination: A large number of people gathered unnoticed by the public to celebrate in the hollow body of the motorway bridge.

How many people celebrated inside the bridge cannot be finally verified. The police, however, assume more than 100 participants. Accordingly, the party was blown up last Sunday morning around 8 o'clock, when officials discovered several teenagers and young adults – presumably on the way home. While the police followed the trail of garbage and beer bottles, they met two people below the bridge, who were apparently looking for their keys. While the officers were checking the two people, they heard music from the cavity of the bridge and found that the door to the inside of the bridge was unlocked.

Party guests from all over North Rhine-Westphalia
The complete locking mechanism was removed next to the door. On the opposite side of the bridge, meanwhile, the officials noticed people climbing out of the approximately 500-meter-long hollow body. Due to the size of the location, the police requested reinforcements and were able to control a group of twelve people in the adjacent forest behind the bridge, who had travelled from Cologne, Düsseldorf, Duisburg and Offenbach, among others.

Together with the Cologne police, the cavity was searched. No more people were found here, but the officers found huge amounts of garbage, confetti and beer bottles. The party participants must now expect charges for trespassing as well as for violations of the Corona Protection Ordinance. According to the police, an illegal party had already taken place in Overath below the motorway bridge the weekend before.

source: https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inha ... 9d740.html

It's in German :D
Jun 8th, 2021, 2:23 pm

Twitter @HgwrtzExprss
Join Mobilism Discord server to get instant updates on contests: https://discord.gg/JqD2wAWSGw

Jun 8th, 2021, 4:09 pm
Man mortified after realising he buried his neighbour's cat thinking it was his own

A man's cat had gone missing and when he went to search for it he found a dead feline with the exact same markings so he buried it, but it turned out to be a lookalike

A man was left mortified after burying his neighbour's cat which he mistakenly thought was his own.

Sharing his story anonymously, the man said that his favourite pet, literally named Favourite, had gone missing so he went in search of the wayward feline.

But his heart dropped when he found a cat with the exact same markings as Favourite, and it was very sick and soon sadly passed away.

Distraught, the man took the lifeless feline home and buried it in his garden - so he was understandably shocked when his favourite cat arrived back home in the middle of the night.

Sharing his story on Reddit, the man said that he had been on holiday and left the cat in the care of a neighbour when Favourite went missing.

He said: "When I arrived from work, just before dinner, I noticed my black and white cat, named Favourite, was missing, something that is not usual of him for more than one day.

"I went to look for him in the surroundings and talk to my friendly neighbour. Just as I arrive at my neighbour's house I notice a black and white cat, apparently sick, in a very bad condition, lying down.

"My heart was pounding and I could not believe that I had just found the cat - it is worth mentioning that the cat was in another neighbour's backyard and I could not go there without permission to help and identify.

"I knocked and asked my friendly neighbour if she saw our cat, to which she replies that she hasn't seen the cat for two days.

"I mention the cat that was lying on the floor and asked for help identifying and possibly talking to the other neighbour so that we could go to their backyard to provide assistance to the cat.

"She could not identify the cat as hers from her window and mentioned that her cat was smaller, saying for sure it was not her cat. She gave us permission to go to the backyard. We rushed to try and help the cat but it was too late. The cat was already stiff dead.

"My heart almost stopped. I was having trouble looking at the cat and even more trouble trying to identify him. My friendly neighbour never came close."

The Reddit user continued: "I buried several animals as I grew up on a farm but this one was being particularly difficult. Especially since this cat, adopted from the street, was as the name says, my favourite.

"I buried the cat, in a somewhat shallow grave and went home. I could not eat and was very, very sad. Thoughts on all the recent events and what I could have changed so that the cat would not die.

"After a few tears and sobs, and a nice cup of tea, I went to sleep.

"I was sleeping and I hear a scratch on the door. I went sleepwalking to the door thinking Farrusca wanted to get out or come in to find my Favorite standing at the door looking at me like nothing happened.

"He then proceeds to enter mewing all the way as if saying, 'why the hell did you take so long to open the door!'

"I was... Well... Seeing a ghost, or crazy... I woke up my wife just to make sure I wasn't dreaming or crazy... For a moment I wanted to hug, kiss, and slap the bastard at the same time.

"He proceeded to go to sleep in our bed... as usual... And did not give a f*ck about anything else."

He added: "Today I will have to explain to an old lady that her cat died, that I buried her cat thinking it was mine, and to another, that I buried a cat that means nothing to her in her backyard."
Jun 8th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Twitter: Fatima99@fatima99_mobi
Jun 8th, 2021, 6:00 pm

A downtown Toronto bike lane has just been tranformed into something colourful and exciting. It's all part of the City's StART initiative to add more street art to roads and public spaces.

The result is a series of concrete barriers along the Richmond St. bike lane east of Jarvis that are now covered in beautiful murals and art designed by local street artists.

The barriers will be painted in four segments, earth, water, air and fire — with the first phase of the project: Earth + Air underway as of this past weekend, and the next phase Fire + Water starting this week.

StART aims to enliven the city’s infrastructure and encourage active transportation through walking and cycling, making our streets more inviting and safe.

The program was created to showcase and mentor emerging talent and create opportunities for positive engagement among residents, business owners and operators — with a goal of reducing graffiti vandalism and replacing it with vibrant, colourful, community-engaged street art.

With Toronto Bike Month 2021 running until June 30, the city has also created a series of initiatives to celebrate cycling and to encourage people to get outside and ride safely, while reducing greenhouse emissions.

To inspire Bike Month activities, the city created a customized bingo game, webinars for bike safety and a log to document your rides. Cyclists are encouraged to ring their bells while riding by the artists at work on Richmond St. as a show of support for the mural project.

The painting of the barriers will take place throughout the summer and there will be a rolling application open for any artists interested in participating.
Jun 8th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Jun 8th, 2021, 6:43 pm
GoFundMe donations pour in after a Virginia boy sells his Pokémon card collection to help pay for his dog’s vet bills

For an average 8-year-old boy, a Pokémon card collection is priceless, but to Bryson Kliemann, his dog was worth more.

Since he was 4, Bryson has collected a plethora of Pokémon cards, but soon after learning that his 4 month-old puppy Bruce needed life-saving medical treatment, Bryson put a wooden sign on his lawn that read “Pokemon 4 SALE.”

“Bruce got sick and needed my help,” Bryson told The Washington Post. “I was super sad. I didn’t want to lose my best friend.”

In May, Bryce’s family noticed that Bruce, a mixed lab, was becoming lethargic.

“He is a very playful puppy, and he wasn’t really moving,” said Bryson’s mother, Kimberly Woodruff, 26. “He wasn’t coming out of his crate; he wasn’t eating.”

Bryson Kliemann, an 8-year-old from Lebanon, Va., spent two afternoons stationed on his front lawn selling his Pokémon card collection to raise money for his dog's medical treatment.

After a quick trip to the local vet, Bruce was diagnosed with Parvo, a lethal virus that Bruce was already vaccinated for.

The treatment for the contagious virus would cost at least $655 which included a three-day visit to the veterinarian along with other expenses that the family could not fit into their budget.

In a conversation between Bryson’s parents about the cost of treatment, Bryce managed to overhear bits of it and decided to take action himself.

“That’s how he came up with the idea that he was going to help,” Woodruff said. But when her son shared his plan to sell his Pokémon cards, she told him not to worry and said that they would find a way to pay for the treatment no matter what.”

After school, Bryson set up a table outside his home in Lebanon, Virginia, and eventually garnered a crowd of neighbors who were interested in his collection.

“I think they were sad for me and for Bruce,” Bryson said.

Woodruff posted an image of Bryson selling his cards on social media to try and get the attention of members of their community to buy something from the young boy. Not expecting much, Woodruff was surprised to receive “overwhelming” support.

Many neighbors asked if there would be a way to donate to help pay the vet bills so Woodruff started a GoFundMe page that raised enough money to cover the cost of Bruce’s treatment.

Woodruff was relieved. “I didn’t want him to have to sell his cards,” she said.

Many people didn’t buy his cards, she added, most people just gave Bryson $20 and asked for nothing in return.

“He sold some cards, but before I could even notice a dent in his collection, people had already dropped off so many more,” Woodruff said. “It was amazing.”

The Pokémon Co. store in Seattle decided to send Bryson cards to make up for the ones he sold.

“‘Hey Bryson, we were so inspired by your story about selling your cards for your dog’s recovery, these are some cards to help you replace the ones you had to sell.’” Woodruff said a note in the package read. “I was amazed. I didn’t think it would reach them.”

Now, Bruce is “definitely back to his puppy self,” but Woodruff is a proud mom after seeing her son’s selfless actions.

“I never in a million years would have thought something that my 8-year-old did in a small community would have such an impact,” she said. “It truly has been incredible.”
Jun 8th, 2021, 6:43 pm

Jun 8th, 2021, 6:45 pm
Hey, Curious305: Why is there a man sitting in a box at the Fort Lauderdale airport?

Hey Curious 305: Why is there a man sitting inside a box in Fort Lauderdale’s airport?

Have you met the airport’s most popular vendor?

He likes to dress casual, in faded jeans and a redish-pink shirt, and is always listening to a Walkman, a portable cassette player.

No one really knows his name but you’ve probably seen him around Terminal 1 at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, waiting to open his toy shop.

Oh, and he’s not even human — although he is a copy of one.

The airport vendor is actually a hyper-realistic painted bronze sculpture by artist Duane Hanson, who died 25 years ago. Called “Vendor with Walkman,” the installation features a man, believed to be older than 30, sitting in a folding chair, listening to a Walkman, while waiting to open his toy shop at the airport. There’s a toy airplane, janitorial supplies and various signs and announcements about the shop inside the glass box with him.

Hanson was paid $170,000 in 1990 for the commission, according to the Broward Cultural Division. It used to be located in Terminal 3, but was moved in 2014 to the baggage claim area of Terminal 1, where it remains today and continues to be one of the airport’s most talked about and photographed artworks.

Hanson was well known for using his art to show reality — regular people in common poses doing mundane things. His pieces were so “realistic that those who saw them could not believe they weren’t real,” according to an obituary published in the Miami Herald on Jan. 9, 1996.

“Using polyester resin, Bondo, bronze, or fiberglass, Hanson’s technique involved casting living people and then painstakingly painting the fiberglass figure with all the imperfections and veins of actual skin,” according to ArtNet.

His sculptures were so eerily lifelike that in January 1991, a security guard at the Museum of Art in Fort Lauderdale called 911 when they couldn’t get a woman sitting in the lobby to move, according to Herald records. When paramedics arrived to revive her, they determined that the gray-haired woman was actually a Hanson sculpture.

Hanson, who was born to Swedish farmers in Minnesota in 1925, studied art at the University of Washington, Macalester College in St. Paul and Cranbrook Academy in Detroit, according to the the archive.

He eventually moved his family to Miami in 1965 and got a job teaching at Miami Dade College’s north campus. His career took him to Manhattan for a few years before he moved to Davie with his second wife in 1973 to escape “the pressures of the New York art scene” and handle his first case of lymphatic cancer, according to the Herald archive. He soon became an important part of South Florida’s art scene.

He left behind more than 100 sculptures after his death in January 1996, many worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, in galleries and private art collections around the world, according to the Herald archive.

Another one of Hanson’s sculptures, “The Traveler,” can still be found at Orlando International Airport. And from October 2019 through February 2020, Hanson’s “Football Player” was showcased at Miami International Airport as part of the Super Bowl 54 festivities.

The 1981 sculpture’s model was sculptor and former professional athlete Robert Thiele. It was on loan from the University of Miami’s Lowe Art Museum.

So, how do you know if you’re looking at a Hanson sculpture?

Just look for a glazed, far away look in its eyes.

“It’s the look of a soldier who’s been in combat too long, the look of a steer just before the hammer comes down — the glazed expression that says, “No hope,” reads a 2009 Palm Beach Post article that was printed in the Miami Herald, discussing the “Duane Hanson: Photographs and Sculptures” exhibit that was opening at the Boca Raton Museum of Art at the time.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/curious305/article251953488.html
Jun 8th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Believe me, you are someone's crush. Yes, you are!
Jun 8th, 2021, 6:52 pm
Teacher Swaps Shoes With Student To Save Him From Missing His Graduation Ceremony

High school graduations are one of the most important rites of passage in a teenager’s life. Four years of hard work, friendships, and dreams for the future all culminate in a shining moment that will be remembered long after the caps and gowns are collecting dust.

So imagine Daverius Peters’ dismay when on May 19, as he headed into the ceremony to receive his diploma, he was stopped at the door by the fashion police. Although his black-topped, white-soled sneakers were anything but outrageous, Peters learned they were in violation of the school’s dress code and he was denied entry.

It looked as if Peters was about to miss his chance to walk across the stage with his classmates—until someone stepped in with both feet—and shoes—to turn things around.

When the distraught senior caught sight of a friendly face he went looking for help. John Butler, a para-educator at Boutte, Louisiana’s Hahnville High School was on hand for the graduation as a parent, not a staff member, but once he learned the details of Peters’ predicament, he accompanied the young man he’d come to know and respect back to the entry to see if he could change the gatekeeper’s mind.

“[I was] hoping that maybe if she saw me with him, she would let it go, but she insisted on not letting this young man in, and I didn’t have time to go back and forth with her,” Butler told The Washington Post. “It was a no-brainer… This was the most important moment in his life up to that point, and I wasn’t going to let him miss it for anything.”

Without missing a beat, Butler simply swapped his size-11 loafers for Peters’ size-9 athletic shoes. With seconds to spare, Peters made it inside the venue just as the doors closed and was able to keep his place in the graduation line.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/student ... ave-shoes/
Jun 8th, 2021, 6:52 pm