Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
Jun 11th, 2021, 6:53 pm
Dad Breaks World Record by Completing 1.5 Million Pushups for Charity

A Wisconsin man has gone to extreme, near-impossible lengths to inspire his kids—while raising money for an important cause.

As of Sunday, Winneconne's Nate Carroll completed his 1,500,231st push-up within the span of twelve months, says The Wisconsin State Journal.

Averaging 4,100 push-ups per day—and occasionally reaching a whopping 7,000 in one day—Carroll is using the challenge to fundraise for the Tunnels to Towers Foundation, an organization that offers housing and mortgage assistance to the families of officers and firefighters who are killed in the line of duty.

Additionally, Carroll hopes to teach his own children an important lesson in achieving one's goals. Carroll told Fox News that he hoped to "demonstrate to my kids what goals that seem impossible look like when they are broken down into daily manageable chunks."

"I understood if this challenge was going to be taken on, there had to be more depth to it besides just breaking a record," he added. While his muscle tone certainly did increase over the course of the year, he explained, "What was most noticed was my awareness of how my body felt and responded to the stress of thousands of push-ups each day."

More than physical, he told Fox News that the "most dramatic change was...mental strength and the understanding that the body is a phenomenal creation, and if properly cared for and conditioned, can endure significant physical stress and accomplish tremendous feats."

To mark the momentous occasion, he completed the record-breaking push-ups during halftime of the 48th annual Fun City Bowl, a football game for New York City first responders.

Over the past year, Carroll, a social worker, has been completing the majority of his push-ups in between his daily responsibilities, turning everywhere from his living room to his office into a makeshift gym. "Trying to balance this amount of push-ups with being a father and working full time sometimes creates obstacles that you sometimes have to overcome," he explained to The Wisconsin State Journal.

"I try to weave my push-ups into my daily activity. To set aside time to do 4,000 push-ups is impossible. You have to really make it a priority and be willing to commit to it and embrace the fact that you have to weave that into your day."

To verify his enormous number of push-ups, Carroll has "documented" every single one in a "logbook." Additionally, he's uploaded videos of the majority to YouTube in time-lapse form and has witnesses that can attest to the accuracy of his claims.

Carroll's record still requires approval from Guinness World Records, but should they accept it, Carroll will replace Paddy Doyle, a British athlete who set the record in 1989. In the meantime, Carroll is continuing to add to his tally before reaching his twelve-month deadline, this upcoming Sunday.

And, for anyone looking to chase a similarly difficult dream, Carroll has some inspirational words: "Set a goal, and get after it," he told Fox News. "Make it who you are, not something you do. That way, when it gets hard and life throws obstacles in your way and offers you convenient excuses to stop or says it's too difficult, you find a way to endure and persevere and keep after it. Winning those mini-battles each day builds strength and shapes one's perspective of what is possible."
Jun 11th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Jun 11th, 2021, 8:11 pm
Flying Squirrel as Big As a Cat Discovered in Himalayas, ‘One of the least known mammals on Earth’

The world is growing smaller all the time as mass communication and transit links the continents in a web of social media and overnight layovers. Yet even with all this globalization, there are still natural secrets to uncover for those willing to look.

Incredibly, a species of gliding squirrel (Eupetaurus cinereus) that was last seen in 1994 was cross-referenced with museum specimens and found to actually be three squirrels, not one.

University of Wyoming squirrel expert John Koprowski remarked to National Geographic “that there were two relatively large animals that had gone unreported shows how little we know about the natural world.”

The Yunnan woolly flying squirrel and the Tibetan woolly flying squirrel now take their place in the scientific record alongside the newly reclassified Western woolly flying squirrel.

The first new squirrel lives in the mysterious gorges of Yunnan, thousands of miles from the territory of the second, who lives at altitudes of 16,000 feet at the intersection of India, Tibet, and Bhutan.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/woolly- ... t-animals/
Jun 11th, 2021, 8:11 pm
Jun 11th, 2021, 8:30 pm
Mysterious ‘elongated object’ that made giant star disappear puzzles scientists
The strange object is circling a star 25,000 light years away

A star in the centre of our galaxy keeps blinking in and out of existence, and scientists have not been able to work out why.

In the middle of the Milky Way galaxy, 25,000 light years away, is the mysterious star VVV-WIT-08. Many stars change in brightness because they pulsate, or are eclipsed by another star, but this one is exceptionally rare because it becomes fainter over a several months – then suddenly brighter again.

Astronomers believe that VVV-WIT-08 is a new class of ‘blinking giant’ binary star system, where the giant mass of gas is blocked every few decades.

Scientists still don’t know what could be hiding the planet, though; the companion object, which could be another star or planet, is surrounded by an opaque disc, covering the star.

"Occasionally we find variable stars that don’t fit into any established category, which we call ‘what-is-this?’, or ‘WIT’ objects. We really don’t know how these blinking giants came to be. It’s exciting to see such discoveries from VVV after so many years planning and gathering the data,” Professor Philip Lucas from the University of Hertfordshire said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/space/mys ... 64036.html
Jun 11th, 2021, 8:30 pm

Exodus A.D.: A Warning to Civilians by Paul Troubetzkoy [10000 WRZ$] Reward!
https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=5556807
Jun 12th, 2021, 12:09 am

US Congressman asks if federal agencies can change Earth's or moon's orbits to fight climate change!

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) on Tuesday asked a representative from the U.S. Forest Service if it was possible to alter the orbit of the moon or the Earth as a way of combating climate change.

Gohmert was speaking with Jennifer Eberlien, associate deputy chief of the National Forest System, during a House Natural Resources Committee hearing.

"I understand from what's been testified to the Forest Service and the BLM [Bureau of Land Management], you want very much to work on the issue of climate change," Gohmert said to Eberlien, adding that a past director of NASA had once told him that orbits of the moon and the Earth were changing.

"Is there anything that the National Forest Service, or BLM can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth's orbit around the sun?" Gohmert asked Eberlien. "Obviously they would have profound effects on our climate."

"I would have to follow up with you on that one, Mr. Gohmert," Eberlien responded.

"Well, if you figure out a way that you in the Forest Service can make that change, I'd like to know," Gohmert added.

ORBITS: Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) asks whether the Forest Service or the BLM can alter the orbit of the moon or the Earth in order to fight climate change during a House Natural Resources hearing pic.twitter.com/yYiOyi2cMZ
— Forbes (@Forbes) June 8, 2021

Gohmert later responded to tweets about his question by noting BLM stands for the Bureau of Land Management.

Exceedingly devious how you hid the context with an ellipses in your tweet. The hearing was about the BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT & climate change.

BLM stands for the BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT. — Louie Gohmert (@replouiegohmert) June 9, 2021

As NASA explains in a blog post, Earth's orbit changes from being close to perfectly circular to being slightly more elliptical in a cycle that takes about 100,000 years. The orbit is currently around as close to being circular as it can be.

The angle at which the Earth tilts also shifts slightly or "wobbles" on its axis over the course of tens of thousands of years.

These changes are called Milanković cycles after Milutin Milanković, the Serbian astronomer who first hypothesized them.

These shifts affect Earth's climate in both the short-term and long-term, though they have a relatively minor impact on the planet's seasons and are not behind global warming, according to NASA.

Astronomers have long observed that the Earth's moon is slowly drifting away, moving about an inch away every year.

-Updated 1:33 p.m.
Jun 12th, 2021, 12:09 am
Jun 12th, 2021, 4:20 am
Pennsylvania Woman Attempts to Hire a Hitman on a Payment Plan
Posted on June 11, 2021*

• Alright, I’ll hire you to kill this person. Do you take AmEx?

Not that we can claim to be experts on the subject, but we’d assume hiring a professional killer is pretty expensive. But apparently some of them are willing to give you a payment plan.

Claudia Carrion, from Allentown, PA, has been arrested with criminal solicitation. She’s been charged with attempting to hire an undercover detective to take out her husband.

According to a criminal complaint filed against Carrion, 44, she had been looking for a hitman. The cops got whiff of her intentions from an informant and conducted an underground operation on June 10.

The secret agent contacted Carrion and told her he’d be willing to do the hit. During their discussion, she told him why she wanted her husband dead, alleging domestic abuse and multiple mistresses.

Carrion offered the pretend-assassin $4,000 for the job, but soon admitted she couldn’t pay the sum up front. After some negotiations, they came up with a credit system.

Carrion would pay $100 right there and then. The remaining $3,900 would be paid over 39 installments, $100 per week.

As soon as Carrion handed the hundred bucks to the cop, she received handcuffs on her wrists.

Guilty or Framed?

After they arrested Carrion, the cops learned something interesting. In an interview, she confessed that this wasn’t the first time she had tried to get her husband killed.

Court documents tell that Carrion had contacted another would-be hitman at an unidentified point in time. However, their deal “didn’t work out,” she said.

If she’s tried to hire a killer twice, you’d imagine Carrion would have a very good reason for it. However, at least according to the cops’ current knowledge, that may not be the case.

Carrion has said that her husband abused both her and her family. However, the police haven’t found any reports confirming this to be the case.

Of course, it could just be that Carrion was too afraid to report the alleged abuse. However, her son Joshua Carrion said that he’s never witnessed any abuse.

The police haven’t said whether they’ll investigate Carrion’s claims. But why would she be trying to get her husband killed otherwise?

Well, if you ask her son, she wasn’t. Joshua Carrion thinks someone is trying to frame his mother.

According to him, Carrion helped her husband immigrate to the U.S. out of love. He doesn’t believe his mother would be the kind of person to hire a killer.

“It’s not like that. I feel like she’s getting framed,” said Joshua.

“She’s Christian, you know, like, very religious. My family – we never do harm. We’re all, you know, innocent. We don’t have no criminal records of nothing.”

He also said he is blissfully unaware of any abuse that might’ve happened.

“Never. Never. No, they was always happy, so I don’t know about that,” Joshua said when asked about his mother’s claims.

Potential for Punishment

For Carrion’s sake, we hope it turns out that someone is trying to frame her. Otherwise, she’ll be in deep trouble.

According to Pennsylvania law, criminal solicitation and conspiracy “are crimes of the same grade and degree as the most serious offense which is attempted or solicited or is an object of the conspiracy.” In other words, trying to hire a hitman carries the same penalty as actually murdering someone with your own hands.

At the lower end of the penalty scale, Carrion would be looking at up to 20 years in prison if found guilty of criminal solicitation equal to third-degree murder. At maximum, she could end up spending the rest of her days in prison.

Whether or not she could be sentenced to death is a bit of a gray area. At the moment, capital punishment is legal in Pennsylvania.

However, it has rarely been used since the 1990s and, in 2015, Governor Tom Wolf announced a moratorium on executions. Still, some prosecutors will pursue death penalty and it is on the table for first-degree murder.

So was she a victim of a set up or just not too bright? Either way, marriage sure can be expensive. :lol:
Jun 12th, 2021, 4:20 am

Jun 12th, 2021, 12:58 pm

I sometimes get REALLY DEPRESSED reviewing the news these days.
It's always about a global pandemic threatening life as we know it,
protests around the world, stupid politicians, natural disasters,
or some other really bad story.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Welcome to The mobi weekly news magazine
IN OTHER NEWS
SATURDAY JUNE 12

What is it?
Here is your chance to become an "ACE REPORTER" for our weekly news magazine.
It is your job to fine weird, funny or "good feel" stories from around the world and share them with our readers in our weekly magazine

How do you play?
Just post a story that you have come across that made you smile, laugh, feel good...
BUT NOTHING DEPRESSING :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EXAMPLE POST
Naked sunbather chases wild boar through park after it steals his laptop bag
A naked sunbather was seen chasing wild boar through a park after it stole his laptop bag.
Amusing photographs from Germany show the man running after the animal to try and claim the plastic bag back.
But the cheeky boar and its two piglets appear to be too quick for the sunbather, who can't keep up with their speedy little trotters.
As the incident unfolds, groups of friends and family sat on the grass watch on and laugh.
Heads are seen turning in surprise and amusement in the hilarious photographs.
The incident happened at Teufelssee Lake - a bathing spot in the Grunwell Forest in Berlin, Germany.
[/quote]
Rules:
Each Edition of IN OTHER NEWS will be open for 7 days...
You can post as many stories as you like, but you will only get paid for One Story in any 24 hour period
So in other words, you can only earn WRZ$ once a day.
Each news day will start when I post announcing it
OR at:
9:00 AM CHICAGO TIME (UTC -5)
2:00 PM GMT (UTC -0)

on those days I space out and forget to post or can't due to Real Life :lol:
Stories may be accompanied with images - but No big images, please! 800x800 pixels wide maximum
Videos are allowed, but please keep them short, and post a short summary for those that don't like to click on videos
No Duplicate stories - Where a post has been edited resulting in duplicates, then the last one in time gets disallowed.
And please limit this to reasonably family friendly stories :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reward:
Each news story posted that I feel is acceptable (must be a real story, too few words or simply a headline are not considered acceptable) will earn you 50 WRZ$
If you post multiple stories on any given day, you will only earn 50 WRZ$ for the first story of the Day
All payments will be made at THE END of the weekly news cycle.
Special Bonus - Each week I will award "The Pulitzer Prize" for the best story of the week
The weekly winner of the "The Pulitzer Prize" will receive a 100 WRZ$ bonus
It's just my personal opinion, so my judgement is final

So help bring GOOD news to the members of mobi, and join our reporting team...

IN OTHER NEWS

Jun 12th, 2021, 12:58 pm

Jun 12th, 2021, 12:59 pm
Massachusetts lobster diver says he was swallowed by humpback whale

A lobster diver has shared the unbelievable moment he believed he would die after being gulped down by a whale.

His name’s not Jonah — but this Cape Cod man sure has something in common with the biblical figure now.

Commercial lobster diver Michael Packard was going about his business off the coast of Provincetown, Massachusetts when he was swallowed whole by a humpback whale — trapped in its gullet for nearly a minute before being coughed back up, according to a report.

Mr Packard, 56, was about 10.6m below the surface near Herring Cove Beach at 8am on Friday when the massive mammal tried to turn him into breakfast, the Cape Cod Times reported.

“All of a sudden, I felt this huge shove and the next thing I knew it was completely black,” Mr Packard told the outlet.

“I could sense I was moving, and I could feel the whale squeezing with the muscles in his mouth.”

Michael Packard is a lobster diver in Massachusetts.

Stunned, his first thought was that he’d been snapped up by a great white shark — and was done for.

Mr Packard told the local CBS News affiliate that he thought to himself “This is it, I’m gonna die.”

“I was completely inside [the whale]; it was completely black,” Mr Packard told the Cape Cod Times.

“I thought to myself, ‘there’s no way I’m getting out of here. I’m done, I’m dead. All I could think of was my boys, they’re 12 and 15 years old.”

But when he realised he could feel no teeth, he began struggling and felt the whale shaking his head in discomfort, he said

Within 40 seconds the massive mammal spat him back out into the ocean.

“I saw light, and he started throwing his head side-to-side and the next thing I knew I was outside [in the water],” Mr Packard said.

“My first thought was I can’t believe I got out of that situation. My second thought was for how injured I was.”

Experts say the whale may have been a juvenile who swallowed the man accidentally.

His boating pal, Josiah Mayo, saw water spraying as the sea creature surfaced and Mr Packard was ejected, the Cape Cod paper reported.

He plucked Mr Packard out of the sea, and rushed him to a hospital, where he was treated for soft tissue damage to his leg.

Amazingly, Mr Packard said he feels just fine after his remarkable, Pinocchio-style getaway.

“I’m good overall,” he said.

An expert said the whale was likely a juvenile, and may have swallowed Mr Packard accidentally, not seeing the diver while his mouth was open wide to scoop up little fish.

Source
Jun 12th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Jun 12th, 2021, 1:06 pm
Harvard-bound student asks high school to give her scholarship away

Verda Tetteh earned a standing ovation as the class speaker at her Massachusetts high school graduation. But what she did next had the crowd in awe.

The Fitchburg High School student, who will be attending Harvard College in the fall on a full scholarship, won an additional $40,000 scholarship from her high school at last week's graduation ceremony. She could have used the scholarship for expenses, but instead, the 17-year-old gave it away shortly after it was awarded.

"I am so very grateful for this but I also know that I am not the one who needs this the most," she told graduation attendees.

Tetteh told CBS News that her mother, Rosemary, an immigrant from Ghana who earned her community college degree when she was 47 years old, inspired her to give it to someone else.

Verda Tetteh earned a standing ovation as the class speaker at her Massachusetts high school graduation. But what she did next had the crowd in awe.

The Fitchburg High School student, who will be attending Harvard College in the fall on a full scholarship, won an additional $40,000 scholarship from her high school at last week's graduation ceremony. She could have used the scholarship for expenses, but instead, the 17-year-old gave it away shortly after it was awarded.

"I am so very grateful for this but I also know that I am not the one who needs this the most," she told graduation attendees.

Tetteh told CBS News that her mother, Rosemary, an immigrant from Ghana who earned her community college degree when she was 47 years old, inspired her to give it to someone else.

"It just was the thought that someone sitting here might have a struggle like my mom did when she was going to community college," she said.

Her mother cheered from the crowd. "I was just happy, I stood up and started shouting so loud! I was afraid those in front of me would be like, 'Why is she that loud?' But I was so happy with her decision," she said.

Tetteh plans to study chemistry at Harvard. It's unclear who will receive the scholarship she gave up, according to CBS Boston.

"You don't have to have the world to be able to give anything, you know, the little you have, just think about others around you and how you can help," she said.

Researchers Uncover the Watermelon’s Origins
The green-striped, red-fleshed watermelon might not look inherently mysterious, but botanists have long puzzled over which wild plant the modern domesticated crop originated from. Now, new research claims to provide an answer in the form of a small Sudanese melon called the Kordofan, reports Isaac Schultz for Gizmodo.

Prior to these new findings, published last week in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the predominant view was that the watermelon’s evolutionary roots were in South Africa, reports Tara Yarlagadda for Inverse.

But once lead study author Susanne S. Renner and her co-authors started sequencing the DNA of wild plants in the watermelon’s genus—Citrullus—a different picture emerged.
This finding helps explain a tantalizing bit of artwork found inside a 4,300-year-old Egyptian tomb in Saqqara that depicts a big, oblong, green-striped melon alongside grapes and other sweet fruits, according to the Times. Placing the watermelon’s roots in nearby Sudan helps explain what this melon might have been doing in Egypt.
Jun 12th, 2021, 1:17 pm

KULAI
: Earthworms and cow urine have helped a farmer here grow juicier and bigger lemons.

T. Kaniappan, 57, who used to harvest ping-pong ball-sized lemons on his one-acre orchard, is now reaping fruits that are bigger than hockey balls.

It happened after he replaced chemical fertilizers and pesticides at his farm in an oil palm plantation about 10km from here with organic fertilizers.

He also uses bitter leaves and a mixture of yoghurt and coconut milk for the improved crop which has been giving him bumper yields since then.

Today, Kaniappan’s orchard produces three times as many lemons as before.

His success has also spurred him to set up a vermiculture (earthworm breeding) facility on a two-hectare plot at the plantation where he produces 80kg of earthworm casts per month that he uses as fertilizer.

The orchard nets him RM500 a month while the earthworm fertilizer brings him RM250.

The former Sime Darby plantation technician started his orchard in 2004 with yields of about 35kg of fruit.

“In 2005, I was introduced by the Consumer Association of Penang (CAP) to this organic farming technique developed in India. My lemon plants took on a new life with yields of about 200kg of fruit.” Kaniappan said he started his vermiculture with 20 earthworms received from CAP.

He placed them in open concrete compartments filled with soil and compost made of sugarcane waste.

The worms multiplied to 1,800 in three months.

To keep pests away, he uses a spray of a mixture of cow urine and five types of bitter leaves which leaves him pest free for two weeks.

“I also spray a mixture of fermented yoghurt and coconut milk that has been kept over 15 days on the plant as it enhances flowering, fruiting and overall growth.

“Another good growth enhancer is fish waste and brown sugar that I spray on my plants to promote new shoots. It also keeps pests away.”

Kaniappan said another wonder potion was Pancakavya, a mixture of cow dung, cow urine, ghee, milk, yoghurt, sugarcane juice, coconut water, bananas and toddy.

“Pouring this mixture at the roots or spraying on the plants will enhance the growth, taste and glossiness of the produce while keeping pests away.

“The potion when fed to livestock and fish can also enhance their growth,” said Kaniappan, who is helping CAP in its nationwide campaign to promote organic farming.
Jun 12th, 2021, 1:17 pm

Jun 12th, 2021, 1:40 pm
Man Rescued After 2 Days Stuck Inside Giant Fan At California Vineyard

The 38-year-old man required medical treatment but is expected to make a full recovery.

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities rescued a man who said he had been trapped for two days inside a large fan at a Northern California vineyard.

The man was discovered Tuesday by a deputy responding to a call about a suspicious vehicle parked near the winery in Santa Rosa, the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.

The deputy saw a hat on a piece of farming equipment and then found the man stuck inside the shaft of a vineyard fan. Firefighters rescued him.

“The man indicated he liked to take pictures of the engines of old farm equipment,” the statement said. “After a thorough investigation, which revealed the farm equipment wasn’t antique and the man had far more methamphetamine than camera equipment, the motivation to climb into the fan shaft remains a total mystery.”

The 38-year-old man required medical treatment but is expected to make a full recovery, the office said.

The man will be charged with trespassing and drug possession, as well as violations of a probation case, the statement said.

Vineyard fans are used to circulate air across vines to keep grapes from freezing during colder months.

Jun 12th, 2021, 1:40 pm

Twitter: Fatima99@fatima99_mobi
Jun 12th, 2021, 2:00 pm
Israel became the first nation to ban fur

Animal rights campaigners claimed a major victory this week, as Israel became the first country to ban the sale of fur. The historic step comes as other nations reconsider their relationship with a controversial material that is fast falling out of fashion.

“Israel has made history and put yet another nail in the cruel fur industry’s coffin,” said Mimi Bekhechi, vice president of international programmes at Peta.

“With the British government currently exploring a similar ban – which would make it the first country in Europe to close its borders to fur – we’re getting ever closer to a day when no animals are suffocated or skinned alive for collars and cuffs.”
Jun 12th, 2021, 2:00 pm

Jun 12th, 2021, 2:05 pm
How an Ancient Greek Vase Inspired the Euro 2020 Trophy

The Euro 2020 trophy is inspired by an ancient Greek vase.

The cup that will be held aloft by the glorious winners of the delayed Euro 2020, is inspired by an ancient Greek vase, an archaeologist revealed.

Dr. Andreas Kropp, a Classical archaeologist from the University of Nottingham, has spotted the trophy’s more than passing resemblance to a specific ancient Greek amphora.

Dr. Kropp said “Something about this shiny silver pot caught my eye, and then I remembered that amphora from my first-year teaching. Both the overall design and details such as the twisted handles correspond closely to a red-figure neck amphora found in Vulci (Etruria), 47 cm high, dated c. 510 BC, now in the Louvre,” he told Mirage News.

The new trophy was made for EURO 2008 by Asprey, among the best-known designer, manufacturer and retailer of jewelry, silverware based in London.

Kropp says that the inspiration for its design came from Euphronios, an ancient Greek vase painter and potter, who was active in Athens in the late 6th and early 5th centuries BC.

Euphronios was one of the pioneers of early “red-figure” painting, best known for large-scale works such as a krater depicting a wrestling match between Herakles and Antaios. His works place him at the transition from Late Archaic to Early Classical art, and he is one of the first known artists in history to have signed his work.

On the amphora, now at the Louvre in Paris, only the neck bears a figural scene. It shows a reclining banqueter with a wreath on his head holding his skyphos (drinking cup) with only the index finger of his right hand, playing a popular drinking game (kottabos).

The inscription informs us that this man “Leagros is handsome” (“Leagros kalos”). His head is turned sharply to the right, presumably towards his companion on the other side of the vase’s neck, a fellow reveler playing the lyre.

“The silver trophy is not merely inspired by an Attic amphora,” he says, “it is a neck amphora with twisted handles. It is not, however, an exact copy of Euphronios’ piece as it differs at the base,” Kropp says.

Neck amphoras with twisted handles, though not exactly common, were also made by Euphronios’ contemporaries and successors down to the fourth century BC.

The trophy has just toured the 11 host cities of the tournament and will feature everywhere in the EURO 2020 coverage on our screens and in the papers over the next few weeks.

The official EURO 2020 logo itself is a clipart graphic of the trophy. So Kropp is, for one, urging fans to take a moment to ponder this hitherto unacknowledged sporting tribute to the Athenian creative genius embodied by the silver cup.

“UEFA”, he says, “won’t tell the public about its trophy’s debt of gratitude to Athens’ finest potters and painters, and sadly Euphronios and consorts aren’t here to sue for copyright violations,” he tells Mirage News.
Jun 12th, 2021, 2:05 pm
Jun 12th, 2021, 5:07 pm
Rare "ring of fire" solar eclipse captured in spectacular photos from around the world

Eager skywatchers across the globe were gifted a spectacular annular solar eclipse Thursday morning — and they didn't pass up the opportunity to document it. Millions of people around the world marveled at the sight, which appeared as a glowing "ring of fire" in the night sky.

Astrophotographers pulled out all the stops to capture stunning images of the celestial phenomenon, which was fully visible in parts of Canada, Greenland, the Arctic Ocean and Siberia, and partially visible for much of the rest of northeastern North America, Greenland, northern Europe and northern Asia.

A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes directly between the Earth and the sun, completely blocking the sun's light. During an annular solar eclipse, the moon does not completely cover the sun as it passes, leaving some sunlight visible.
Because the moon appears smaller under these circumstances, it cannot fully block out the sun, forming what's called a "ring of fire" or "ring of light."

This was just one of two solar eclipses this year. A total solar eclipse will be visible on December 4.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/solar-eclipse-ring-of-fire-photos-june-10/
Jun 12th, 2021, 5:07 pm

Believe me, you are someone's crush. Yes, you are!
Jun 12th, 2021, 6:40 pm
Researchers Now Have AI Device to Sniff Out Cancer in Blood Samples With 95% Accuracy For Hard to Detect Types

An odor-based test that sniffs out vapors emanating from blood samples was able to distinguish between benign and pancreatic and ovarian cancer cells with up to 95 percent accuracy, according to a new study from researchers at the University of Pennsylvania and Penn’s Perelman School of Medicine.

The findings suggest that the Penn-developed tool — which uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to decipher the mixture of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) emitting off cells in blood plasma samples — could serve as a non-invasive approach to screen for harder-to-detect cancers, such as pancreatic and ovarian.

The results of the study were presented at the annual American Society of Clinical Oncology meeting on June.

“It’s an early study but the results are very promising,” Johnson said. “The data shows we can identify these tumors at both advanced and the earliest stages, which is exciting. If developed appropriately for the clinical setting, this could potentially be a test that’s done on a standard blood draw that may be part of your annual physical.”

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/ai-devi ... -accuracy/
Jun 12th, 2021, 6:40 pm