Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
Mar 14th, 2021, 4:41 pm
Animal Lovers Team Up to Save 100 Puppy Mill Dogs from Life 'Without the Joys of Being Loved'

Over 100 dogs are looking forward to a future full of love, thanks to several animal welfare organizations' hard work.

The Bissell Pet Foundation recently partnered with several animal rescues to save dozens of dogs from a Louisiana puppy mill. One of the rescues that helped with this effort is the Harbor Humane Society of West Olive, Michigan, which transported 56 of the rescued dogs to Michigan shelters. Twenty of those 56 dogs came to the Harbor Humane Society, where they are being cared for until they are adopted.

Writing about the "life-saving mission" on Facebook, Harbor Humane quoted Cathy Bissell of the Bissell Pet Foundation to explain why they took part in the rescue.

"These little dogs spent their lives producing puppies for profit. They weren't groomed, so they had a hard time seeing. They lived their lives in cramped spaces without the joys of being loved and being a dog. They have finally been set free," read part of the quote included in the post.

Now that all of the puppy mill rescues are in kind hands, Harbor Humane is focusing on finding homes for the 20 rescues under their care. Before they put the pooches up for adoption, the shelter treated the canines' numerous health issues.

"They did not seem to receive any medical attention," Megan Winters, Harbor Humane's shelter director, told ABC News 13 about the condition the dogs arrived in. "A lot of them needed dental cleanings, teeth removed, a lot of them had ear infections."

Now that the puppy mill rescues have received some TLC, they are available for adoption, and several of the pups have already found homes.

Winters said the puppy mill rescues still available for adoption would do best with patient owners who live in calm homes since many of the animals are skittish after spending their lives in cramped cages.

The shelter hopes this recent rescue inspires animal lovers to adopt their next pet instead of buying one. Those interested in adopting one of Harbor Humane's puppy mill rescues, visit the shelter's website for more information.

Image Image
Mar 14th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Mar 14th, 2021, 4:56 pm
World's oldest bird, Wisdom the albatross, hatches chick at the age of 70

The oldest known bird in the world has hatched a chick at the age of 70.

Wisdom the albatross welcomed her new baby on 1 February on the Midway Atoll in the North Pacific.

Biologists on the islands near Hawaii first noticed the egg pipping on 29 January and announced the news on Twitter on Friday.

Wisdom was banded by experts in 1956, outliving the person that classified her all those years ago, according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

"At least 70-years-old, we believe Wisdom has had other mates," said USFWS biologist Dr Beth Flint.

"Although albatross mate for life, they may find new partners if necessary, for example if they outlive their first mate."

Wisdom's current mate is a male albatross called Akeakami, who she has been hatching chicks with since 2012.
Mar 14th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Believe me, you are someone's crush. Yes, you are!
Mar 14th, 2021, 5:38 pm
Gravestone discovered in family’s backyard a window into Toronto’s history

TORONTO -- An Etobicoke family was surprised to find a gravestone in the backyard of a home they purchased only months before.

But Sanam Mughal and Usman Farooqui have gone from shock to pride after they did some digging and realized it could memorialize a Canadian hero.

“I completely freaked out at first,” said Mughal, who said she was playing tag with her husband and son when they stumbled across the headstone. “Imagine seeing that right in the backyard next to your bedroom.”

She called her husband, who had the same reaction.

“I went there, I looked down to see the gravestone — oh my god,” Farooqui said.

But the reaction of their son Azlan was much more relaxed.

“I thought it was kind of cool,” Azlan said.

With the support of neighbours and friends, they decided to look into it a bit more.

The name on the headstone is Fabian Robichaud, who died in July of 1967. His rank: a private in the 116th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces, the headstone says.

That’s likely the same as a “Fabien Robichaud” in the documents posted by the Library and Archives Canada, who served in England and France in the First World War.

Robichaud wasn’t buried in that backyard. The Catholic Cemeteries & Funeral Services in the Archdiocese of Toronto told CTV News Toronto that he was buried in Mount Peace Cemetery in Mississauga.

When CTV News Toronto visited the site, it was clear why the gravestone had been replaced: the new headstone has two names on it. The new one was laid in 1974, when his wife Albina joined him.

It’s not the only piece of history to be found in a Toronto backyard recently. Last year an unexploded military shell was discovered in a North York neighbourhood.

It’s the kind of history that Torontonians can forget is literally in their backyard, says Rowena Brook of Haunted Walks.

“It’s something that doesn’t get thought of much in Toronto — we’re seen as a modern city with skyscrapers and we overlook the daily hustle that there is all this history in Toronto,” she said.

In the end, finding the headstone was a learning experience for the family.

“It’s history, it’s amazing, the history of more than 100 years old of a hero that served this country,” Mughal said.

“It was such a great story. He was part of a winning army that played a part in supporting democracy and freedoms throughout the Western world,” Farooqui said.
Mar 14th, 2021, 5:38 pm

Mar 15th, 2021, 9:52 am
Drunk Passenger Tied With Ropes After Repeated Attempts Of Taking Off Underpants Irk People Onboard
March 14, 2021 10:37 AM The Great Dome*

A Russian passenger kept creating chaos on an S7 Airline by repeatedly taking off her undies and putting them on again until the attendants were forced to tie her up with ropes and tapes.

When an S7 Airlines aircraft took off from Vladivostok to arrive at Novosibirsk, a particular female, clearly under the influence, started disturbing fellow passengers and crew by taking her clothes on and off. She continuously strolled up and down the aisle and did not pay any heed to the attendant’s or crew’s instructions to settle on her seat safely and quietly.

The 39-year-old passenger was immediately framed as a potential risk to co-passengers and crew as well as the smooth journey of the flight which is why S7 flight attendants and travelers decided to tie her up with ropes and duct tapes on her seat until the plane lands. The decision was taken as a clever way to settle the environment and prevent the airline from diverting and wasting fuel because of that one troublesome passenger.

Before landing at the Vladivostok airport, the passenger also admitted to taking synthetic drugs. The flight crew used the seatbelts to halt her head while ropes and duct tapes were used to prevent her arms and body from moving, especially so that physical contact could be limited considering covid19 restrictions.

The six-hour-long flight continued its way to Novosibirsk, where upon landing, the cabin and flight crew called the police to arrest the passenger for traveling under influence and posing a potential danger to others onboard.
Mar 15th, 2021, 9:52 am

Mar 15th, 2021, 10:19 am
UN-BAAA-LIEVABLE: GOOD SAMARITAN DELIVERS GOAT FOUND ON SIDE OF QUEENS HIGHWAY TO BROOKLYN’S 63RD PRECINCT

A good Samaritan brought the 63rd Precinct an un-baaa-lievable delivery on March 1 — a baby goat they found on the side of the highway in a neighboring borough.

The kid was discovered Monday by a motorist in Queens, who then rode with the rescue to Brooklyn’s 63rd Precinct, said Police Department Spokesperson Detective Sophia Mason.

Police officers from the Marine Park stationhouse brought the goat to Animal Rescue and Control later that day — but not before a brief photo shoot with the kid they named Billy the Goat.

While it remains unclear just where the hitchhiking goat came from, it seems he will have a happily ever after. According to a post shared by the 63rd Precinct’s Twitter account, Billy — who know goes by Capricorn — is adjusting well to his new home at Skylands Animal Sanctuary and Rescue in New Jersey.

Officers said they were happy to hear the little guy is in a good place.

Skylands Animal Sanctuary and Rescue did not immediately return requests for further comment.

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/goat-brooklyn-63rd-precinct/
Mar 15th, 2021, 10:19 am

Exodus A.D.: A Warning to Civilians by Paul Troubetzkoy [10000 WRZ$] Reward!
https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=5556807
Mar 15th, 2021, 11:59 am

IN OTHER NEWS...
CURRENTLY OFFLINE

Hold off posting your news stories
The editors and accountant department are reviewing last weeks reports to insure that all our reporters get their proper paycheck
Mar 15th, 2021, 11:59 am

Mar 15th, 2021, 12:04 pm

FOR STORIES POSTED THE W/O MARCH 1

Our news editors at IN OTHER NEWS have carefully reviewed all the stories submitted by our reporters
Following is last weeks Reporter Log

LEGEND:
X = Acceptable Story
X = PULITZER PRIZE
NA = Not Acceptable Story
DS = Duplicate Story
NOTE: If you feel the editors made a mistake, please feel free to PM me so that we can review your claim

A SPECIAL THANKS TO 6 ACE REPORTERS WHO FILED A NEW STORY EVERY DAY
BigGlen
Fatima99
goldie0608
hija
Jmalarkey1010
PennySerenade

Every week the editors will review all the stories and pick the one story that we feels deserves a
MOBI PULITZER PRIZE

There are many different categories for submissions. The previous week, the category was "MY KIND OF HUMOR"
But this week, the category was "FEEL GOOD"

W/O MARCH 8 CATEGORY = FEEL GOOD
GOLDIE
DAY = WEDNESDAY MARCH 10

STORY = "He got lots of help after his wheelchair was stolen. Now he wants to pay that kindness forward."
It never ceases to amaze me how great people can be.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THIS WEEKS MOBI PULITZER PRIZE WINNERS = 100 WRZ

THE NEXT NEWS CYCLE WILL BEGIN SHORTLY
Mar 15th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Mar 15th, 2021, 12:10 pm
(Image courtesy of goldie0608)

I sometimes get REALLY DEPRESSED reviewing the news these days.
It's always about a global pandemic threatening life as we know it,
protests around the world, stupid politicians, natural disasters,
or some other really bad story.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Welcome to The mobi weekly news magazine
IN OTHER NEWS
MONDAY MARCH 15

What is it?
Here is your chance to become an "ACE REPORTER" for our weekly news magazine.
It is your job to fine weird, funny or "good feel" stories from around the world and share them with our readers in our weekly magazine

How do you play?
Just post a story that you have come across that made you smile, laugh, feel good...
BUT NOTHING DEPRESSING :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EXAMPLE POST
Naked sunbather chases wild boar through park after it steals his laptop bag
A naked sunbather was seen chasing wild boar through a park after it stole his laptop bag.
Amusing photographs from Germany show the man running after the animal to try and claim the plastic bag back.
But the cheeky boar and its two piglets appear to be too quick for the sunbather, who can't keep up with their speedy little trotters.
As the incident unfolds, groups of friends and family sat on the grass watch on and laugh.
Heads are seen turning in surprise and amusement in the hilarious photographs.
The incident happened at Teufelssee Lake - a bathing spot in the Grunwell Forest in Berlin, Germany.

Rules:
Each Edition of IN OTHER NEWS will be open for 7 days...
You may post One Story in any 24 hour period
So in other words, you can enter only once a day
Each news day will start when I post announcing it
OR at:
9:00 AM CHICAGO TIME (UTC -5)
2:00 PM GMT (UTC -0)

on those days I space out and forget to post or can't due to Real Life :lol:
Stories may be accompanied with images - but No big images, please! 800x800 pixels wide maximum
Videos are allowed, but please keep them to under a minute, and post a short summary for those that don't like to click on videos
No Duplicate stories - Where a post has been edited resulting in duplicates, then the last one in time gets disallowed.
And please limit this to reasonably family friendly stories :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reward:
Each news story posted that I feel is acceptable (must be a real story, too few words or simply a headline are not considered acceptable) will earn you 50 WRZ$
If you post multiple stories on any given day, you will only earn 50 WRZ$ for the first story of the Day
All payments will be made at THE END of the weekly news cycle.
Special Bonus - Each week I will award "The Pulitzer Prize" for the best story of the week
The weekly winner of the "The Pulitzer Prize" will receive a 100 WRZ$ bonus
It's just my personal opinion, so my judgement is final

So help bring GOOD news to the members of mobi, and join our reporting team...

IN OTHER NEWS

Mar 15th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Mar 15th, 2021, 1:02 pm
‘Asparagus psychic’ predicts trouble for Harry and Meghan

A psychic who uses asparagus to see into the future has predicted that Prince Harry will return the UK next year, unaccompanied by wife Meghan. After throwing asparagus into the air, Jemima Packington, 64, the world’s only asparamancer, said: “What we have here, very interesting, is the letter H. We have two spears plus a crossbar here. I don't see any M at all whatsoever. I see no letter M but I do see letter H coming into the fold.”
Mar 15th, 2021, 1:02 pm

Twitter: Fatima99@fatima99_mobi
Mar 15th, 2021, 2:05 pm
'Zombie' fish baffles scientists having 'come back to life' 20 years since extinction
The southern purple spotted gudgeon was declared extinct in Victoria, Australia in 1998 until one was found 20 years later leading to a new captive breeding programme to bring back the species
A 'zombie' fish has been spotted for the first time in 20 years after being officially declared extinct.
Hopes to bring back an entire species from what was thought to be extinction are now very much alive thanks to a remarkable discovery at a country lake in Australia.
In 1998, the southeastern state of Victoria declared the southern purple-spotted gudgeon, extinct, Daily Mail reports.
But scientists were forced to rethink the status of the species in 2019 when one was found in a lake near Kerang.
The shock sighting sparked an investigation from excited authorities which recovered another 79 nearby.

The freshwater fish which Victoria's North Central Catchment Management Authority has nicknamed a 'zombie fish', will now be revived through a captive breeding program.
Adrian Martins of Victoria's Environment, Land, Water and Planning Department said: "Most of our team have worked their whole lives dealing with the decline of threatened or endangered species, so to have an opportunity to be witnessing the opposite is something special.
"This is a really incredible and exciting find.
"We couldn't believe it when we started finding so many at Middle Reedy [lake]."

Elsewhere in South Australia, the species remains extinct but over the state border in New South Wales its status is elevated to endangered and numbers are higher still in Queensland's warmer river systems.
According to the New South Wales Department of Industry, the southern purple-spotted gudgeon inhabits areas of still water, around weeds, rocks and snags in rivers, streams and billabongs where it feeds on smaller fish, insect larvae, worms, tadpoles and plants.
Mr Martins added: "We have a great chance now to not only bring the southern purple-spotted gudgeon back from the brink, but to help build its numbers and distribution back up to what they were before European occupation, river regulation, and the introduction of pest species."
News of the zombie fish has given enthusiastic Tasmanian tiger hunters renewed optimism of finding the predator which was declared extinct several decades ago.
One commenter wrote online: "Extinct species can come back."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird- ... g-23643576
Mar 15th, 2021, 2:05 pm

Exodus A.D.: A Warning to Civilians by Paul Troubetzkoy [10000 WRZ$] Reward!
https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=5556807
Mar 15th, 2021, 2:23 pm
'Let me out, it's ****ing dark in here!' Irish funeral bursts into laughter when pre-recorded message of dead man calling out from his coffin is played

Shay Bradley from Dublin passed on the 8 October following a long illness
Bradley was a member of the Irish Defence Forces, the regular Irish army
Message was pre-recorded before he died and played out through a speaker

Mourners in Ireland broke out laughing and couldn’t believe it when they heard a voice beyond the grave at a local man’s funeral.

Those who attended the funeral of Irish Defence Force veteran Shay Bradley on Saturday in Kilmanagh, Leinster, couldn’t believe it when he started speaking to them from his coffin.

As they watched his coffin being buried his voice could be heard shouting: 'Hello, hello. Let me out.' As the recording played the sound of him knocking on the wood of the coffin, he continued: 'Where the f*** am I? Let me out, let me out. It’s f - ing dark in here. Is that the priest I can hear. This is Shay I’m in the box. No in f - ing front of you. I’m dead.'

Shay then sings: 'Hello again hello, hello I just called to say goodbye.'

Mourners laughed hysterically as Shay, who passed on October 8 following a long illness, had the last laugh in saying his final goodbye.

Shay's daughter Andrea explained that the message was recorded before Shay passed and was put out via a speaker on the ground. She said on Twitter: 'He would love to know how many people he made laugh!!! He was an amazing character.'
Mar 15th, 2021, 2:23 pm

Mar 15th, 2021, 4:48 pm
Dog left 'looking like a different breed' after owner tries to groom her at home

It's fair to say that many of us are sporting dodgy cuts at the moment - either because we haven't been to the hairdressers for months, or we braved a haircut at home.

And our beloved animals aren't exempt from this - lots of dog owners have turned to cutting their dog's hair at home during lockdown.

One woman left people in stitches after admitting that her attempt to groom her dog at home hadn't gone as well as she had hoped.

Fernie Montafur went viral after unveiling her work on TikTok - as people joked it looked like her dog had "aged five years."

Her video, where she unveiled her pooches new look, has been viewed more than two million times since being shared.

In the viral vid, she applied a clown filter on her face, as she joked: "Not me thinking I could easily cut my dog's hair and save me $50."

In the beginning, she showed off how the dog used to look before showing her efforts to shave the pooch.

In the caption, she added: "Please for the love of God, don't come at me. I genuinely tried my best and feel horrible. I'm buying her an outfit tomorrow."

People were left in stitches by Fernie's handiwork - with the video racking up more than 500,000 likes and thousands of comments.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-new ... t-23698458
Mar 15th, 2021, 4:48 pm

Believe me, you are someone's crush. Yes, you are!
Mar 15th, 2021, 5:29 pm
Canada Post is sending every household a postcard to send to a loved one for free

(CNN)Canada Post is sending a free prepaid postcard to every household in the country to help citizens stay connected during the continuation of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The government postal agency is planning to send about 13.5 million postcards across the county, according to a news release. They are part of the "Write Here Wrote Now" campaign established by the Canada Post in September to encourage letter writing as a means of connection.

"Meaningful connection is vital for our emotional health, sense of community and overall well-being," Doug Ettinger, president and CEO of Canada Post, said in a statement.

"Canada Post wants everyone to stay safe, but also stay in touch with the people who matter to them."
There will be six different versions of the postcard, which will be randomly sent to each household. The messages on the cards will be ones of appreciation, love and thanks, according to the release. The cards can be sent anywhere for free in the country.

I got this one in the mail today... ♥️ :D
Mar 15th, 2021, 5:29 pm

Mar 15th, 2021, 9:51 pm
A fresh spin: the clothes made out of recycled wood pulp

A Finnish company has found a way of using wood pulp to print new clothes – and the only byproduct is water

Like an ill-fitting suit, the fashion industry carries around a supersized carbon footprint, which according to some estimates equates to around four per cent of global CO2 emissions.

Enter Finnish fibre startup Spinnova, which has devised a technique to spin wood pulp into a sustainable textile that can be used to make clothes.

The company says its methods don’t require harmful chemicals and that the only byproduct is water, which gets reused.

It comes as the fashion industry seeks sustainable alternatives to cotton, the production of which requires huge amounts of water, and viscose, which uses toxic chemicals in the manufacturing process and leaves behind a trail of microplastics.

Finnish design house Marimekko has already used the material to make a denim-like jacket and bag. H&M has also been announced as a partner.

Spinnova announced recently that it will build a factory in Finland to scale up production of its textile fibre. The plant is due to open in 2022.

“The fact that these fibres can be recycled into a new fibre again and again makes the fibre disruptively circular,” a spokesperson for the company told Reuters.
Mar 15th, 2021, 9:51 pm

Mar 15th, 2021, 10:49 pm
Pioneering Arthritis Treatment For Dogs is Rolled Out And Vets Call it ‘Groundbreaking’

A world-first arthritis treatment for dogs is being rolled out, and vets are hailing it as “groundbreaking.”

The new biological therapy involves the synthesis of antibody molecules to eradicate pain caused by arthritis.

The antibodies have been manufactured in the USA by Zoeitus, the largest global animal health company, and Scotland’s dogs will be the first country to benefit—with eight veterinary clinics across the country distributing the treatments.

Apex Vets, near Falkirk, is one of those clinics, and 13-year-old cocker spaniel Chloe was recently brought in for treatment by her owner Anne McMenemy.

The pooch suffered for nearly ten years with dysplasia in her hind legs and front elbow, which later developed into arthritis. Unfortunately, the medicines available caused liver damage.

McMenemy said: “With this treatment… it’ll be a godsend not just for Chloe but for other dogs living with arthritis too. With her arthritis she’s not able to go out for much walks, if she can walk for 10 minutes instead of five that’d be good progress.”

Chloe will get treatments once a month, and Apex Vets’ co-director Doug Paterson says the new treatment feels like “the next big leap in science.”

“You are not going to have the kidneys suffering or have gastric ulcerations which can be side effects from arthritis medicines,” he explained. “As dogs get older, we have to be careful of giving them anti-inflammatory drugs. With these antibodies, you don’t have these issues.”

That’s hopeful news indeed.

Mar 15th, 2021, 10:49 pm