Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
Apr 14th, 2017, 10:13 pm
My list for rewarding is a notepad next to the computer.

I guess you have to think about do you want to put in the time before you volunteer to reward. I do. I factor in time getting the names, am I going to be away from the computer soon, etc.
Apr 14th, 2017, 10:13 pm
Apr 14th, 2017, 10:14 pm
compaq, with the hourly contests, I've had a few mods say everyone except so and so gets the reward and so and so only had two correct posts. That's been helpful. In general though, I just go through the thread myself and make a list. If you're short on time, it's best not to volunteer for more time consuming reward payments. Cat/Mouse and the other short duration contests don't take very long to reward. I tend not to have the time or patience to sit through hourly contest threads when lots of people have participated, so I rarely offer my time for rewarding these. There are others who are always happy to volunteer, which is wonderful. It's best to pick and choose volunteer activities based on how much time you're able to spend. Plus the more time consuming volunteer activities have a higher reward to match the effort. You should be okay since there are quite a few active contests here at any given time.
Apr 14th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Please click thanks if you like the release :)
Won't be able to re-up books until further notice. Make new requests, please. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Apr 14th, 2017, 11:08 pm
Yeah, I've volunteered with the short contests because they're easier to deal with, and less prone to accidentally giving non-winners points.
Apr 14th, 2017, 11:08 pm
May 4th, 2017, 1:54 am
Wow, go away for a month or two and the place is turned upside down! :D

Sorry I didn't respond to a call, btw, but I did say I wasn't going to be a regular any more. Keep on having fun, Contestants!
May 4th, 2017, 1:54 am
May 5th, 2017, 8:18 pm
:wave: you're missed :D
May 5th, 2017, 8:18 pm
May 28th, 2017, 12:11 am
there used to be this map of time zones for every mobi member, is it still around?
May 28th, 2017, 12:11 am
May 29th, 2017, 12:50 am
anybody???
May 29th, 2017, 12:50 am
May 30th, 2017, 12:06 am
oh, thanks :)
May 30th, 2017, 12:06 am
Jun 26th, 2017, 7:45 pm
Because I am disinclined to read this entire thread all the way through (yep, I'm lazy), has anyone given thought to seperating the short, time sensitive contests from the daily ones?
I am not in here very often, mostly because I almost always become frustrated. I usually have to read about 9 threads to find a contest that is still open, then half the time, don't enjoy the format. If I had enough free time, it would be fine to spend 12 hours or so waiting, but I am having trouble finding any "post every day/week/convenient time" contests. Is this just a trend in popular choice? At any rate, it might be nice to tactfully name a folder for busy/slow typing/ lazy people contests.
Jun 26th, 2017, 7:45 pm
Jun 27th, 2017, 9:57 am
Miss A wrote:Because I am disinclined to read this entire thread all the way through (yep, I'm lazy), has anyone given thought to seperating the short, time sensitive contests from the daily ones?
I am not in here very often, mostly because I almost always become frustrated. I usually have to read about 9 threads to find a contest that is still open, then half the time, don't enjoy the format. If I had enough free time, it would be fine to spend 12 hours or so waiting, but I am having trouble finding any "post every day/week/convenient time" contests. Is this just a trend in popular choice? At any rate, it might be nice to tactfully name a folder for busy/slow typing/ lazy people contests.

In other words, you are asking to destroy the very essence of Contests? I would have thought that the nature of games and contests is competition, you either make it or you don't. Maybe that's just me ;-)

Jun 27th, 2017, 9:57 am
Jun 28th, 2017, 5:05 am
In other words, you are asking to destroy the very essence of Contests? I would have thought that the nature of games and contests is competition, you either make it or you don't. Maybe that's just me ;-)

Not exactly, more like consideration for people with inflexible/inconvenient schedules, arthritis, or inconsistent internet access.
The contests are supposed to be fun for multiple user groups, not just the youngest/fittest. You could actually say, games are inherently designed for those who are mediocre at them. Too easy or too hard and interest is lost.
I was asking if anyone had considered subdividing them. That way slow access/slow readers/slow typers can find and participate in the games suited for themselves. Somewhat like almost all other forums are subdivided for ease. Even if they divide them in some other fashion, it might be easier for everyone. Perhaps: Puzzles, Timed/Races, Trivia, etc.
Jun 28th, 2017, 5:05 am
Jun 28th, 2017, 8:44 am
i agree with you miss a, when i found mobilism, the contest section was intended as a place where users could make some wrz$ for their request needs. depending on the time you had on hand and the quality of your internet connection, you could choose which of the contests to play, the wrz$ given were a lot less than they are these days, but there weren't as many contests based on quick reaction or on being online at the right time, you could post once a day, or a week, but if you did it regularly in the end you made enough wrz$ to afford making a request once in a while. and in the end by playing in the contest section you became part of the community and made friends.

i respect all the hard work the mods do, but the quick reaction/posting a picture/based on searches on the net contests aren't good for those with a bad internet connection (small bandwidth, low traffic/month). also it should be taken into consideration that there seem to be more players than there were and the limit of players/round modified accordingly.
Jun 28th, 2017, 8:44 am
Jun 28th, 2017, 12:32 pm
While I feel sorry for all these people with slow internet and low traffic. You all seem to be able to navigate Mobilism and as the last host of What Am I? we got to the point where there were 2 possible answers, both easily found in wikipedia (not the slowest or most data heavy site) or by a google search.

Where were all these WRZ$ hungry, low-bandwidth people then? I have severe doubts that it would take even the most arthritic of hands more than the 2 days it took for me to give up and go and kick people on TLWBTF, to look up and type the answer.

You would then have had a contest you could host at your own pace, choosing something you know about and updating once a day. I got 285WRZ$ from a reasonably short one. If Hiemdal ever turns up again for the Occupation one his prize will be more like 500.

However this type of contest is obviously an anathema to such hard core game players like miss a and mobilitic, who would prefer to hang with the cool kids in Gimme The Hunny and Word Jumble.

There is also a very handy thread stuck at the top of this forum called Welcome to the Contests Forum! where there is a link to and a short description of each contest available on here. So there really is no need to separate out the different game types. (And If you think this forum is confusing, try the freetalk/games one where finding anything can be a 4 page slog,)
Jun 28th, 2017, 12:32 pm