Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
Jul 12th, 2018, 6:39 pm
Are you associated with food?
Jul 12th, 2018, 6:39 pm
Jul 13th, 2018, 5:24 am
Do you typically come in widely varying sizes (e.g. the largest would be at least twice the size of the smallest, odd souvenir items aside)?
Jul 13th, 2018, 5:24 am
Jul 13th, 2018, 3:07 pm
Are you plastic cutlery?
Jul 13th, 2018, 3:07 pm
Jul 13th, 2018, 3:37 pm
Are you a food wrapping paper?
Jul 13th, 2018, 3:37 pm

=====================
Follow me on twitter @rd90111, as I will be posting there whenever a contest commences :D
=====================
Jul 13th, 2018, 3:54 pm
Are you the plastic basket you use in a store while you do the groceries?
Jul 13th, 2018, 3:54 pm
Jul 13th, 2018, 4:02 pm
Are you a PEZ dispenser?
Jul 13th, 2018, 4:02 pm

But this rose is an extra. - A. Conan Doyle
Jul 13th, 2018, 4:20 pm
PEZ dispenser

PEZ (trademarked in capitals) is the brand name of an Austrian candy and associated mechanical candy dispensers. The candy is a pressed, dry, straight-edged, curved-corner block (15 mm long, 8 mm wide, and 5 mm high), with Pez dispensers holding 12 Pez pieces. The name PEZ is an abbreviation of PfeffErminZ (German for peppermint).
Pez dispensers are part of popular culture in many nations, an example being 'Soul Candy' in Japanese manga series Bleach. Because of the large number of dispenser designs over the years, they are collected by enthusiasts.
The first Pez mint dispensers, known as "regulars," were similar in shape to a cigarette lighter, and dispensed an adult breath mint marketed as an alternative to smoking. They were invented by Oscar Uxa. Haas Food Manufacturing Corporation of Vienna was the first to sell Pez products.
In 1955, the Pez company placed heads on the dispensers and marketed them for children. Santa Claus and Mickey Mouse were among the first character dispensers. Since 1950, over 1500 Pez dispensers, including the original character dispensers, have been created.

Some Pez dispensers can sell for large amounts as collectibles. The highest verifiable sale of a Pez dispenser was a private sale of a Mickey Mouse softhead at $7,000 between an Austrian dealer and a US collector. This dispenser was never available for sale to the public, and was a factory prototype. The high prices which some Pez items fetch has led to the manufacturing of fake Pez items as well. The 2006 eBay sale of a clear 50s Space Gun for $11,000 took place, but according to Pez researcher David Welch, the dispenser was later proven by chemical testing to be a well-made fake. The most valuable Pez dispensers are three Political Donkeys, each valued at over $13,000, one of which was owned by JFK.
The Pez collecting hobby has grown to the point where several conventions are held annually around the world. The oldest convention is Pez-a-Mania, which has been held in Ohio since 1991. Conventions are also annually held in Austria, Finland, France, Sweden, and in the U.S. in Missouri, California, Minnesota, Connecticut, Michigan and South Carolina. Pez conventions are a place where collectors and dealers can meet to buy and sell Pez merchandise. There are also typically auctions for charity and games and contests with Pez items as prizes.

Congrats, pjmpjm! :clap:
Jul 13th, 2018, 4:20 pm
Jul 13th, 2018, 4:22 pm
Thanks, Amill! This was an excellent choice for the contest. And I trust many of these beloved devices are being put to good use in Antarctica!
Jul 13th, 2018, 4:22 pm

But this rose is an extra. - A. Conan Doyle
Jul 13th, 2018, 4:24 pm
Oh! I haven't had these in years!
Great choice, Amill! :D

And congrats again, pjmpjm :clap:
I was so far away from finding :?
Jul 13th, 2018, 4:24 pm
Jul 13th, 2018, 5:32 pm
Congrats pjmpjm. :D

I don't understand the connection to Antarctica though. :-?
Jul 13th, 2018, 5:32 pm
Jul 14th, 2018, 4:33 am
Congrats pjmpjm!
Interesting choice - I'd never have figured that one out :)
Jul 14th, 2018, 4:33 am
Jul 14th, 2018, 12:35 pm
pjmpjm wrote:Thanks, Amill! This was an excellent choice for the contest. And I trust many of these beloved devices are being put to good use in Antarctica!

You're welcome!
I'm pretty sure there are a few :lol:

rreader wrote:I don't understand the connection to Antarctica though. :-?

There are little supermarkets in the bases in Antarctica so it's very likely that there's are PEZ dispensers to purchase.

I'm happy you liked my choice, people :D
Jul 14th, 2018, 12:35 pm
Jul 14th, 2018, 6:38 pm
Amill wrote:
There are little supermarkets in the bases in Antarctica so it's very likely that there's are PEZ dispensers to purchase.

Hi Amill,

There are no supermarkets in Antarctica. The supermarkets are in the jumping off places like in Chile and New Zealand.

Yes, there are small stores in Antarctica, but they are not supermarkets. That's a major distinction in the English language! (Which led to a few WTFs in a previous contest.)

And I'm not sure how common PEZ dispensers are. I've never seen them in a US store (which doesn't mean they don't exist), but it's just not a staple like bread, flour or canned fruit-- which is what one might think of when talking about Antarctica.

I think the Antarctica question is a great one -- and an imaginative one on PJ's part -- but it's led to some wild goose chases based on the answers by contest hosts. I think the best way to handle those kind of questions -- i.e., if there is no actual information to point to on the web -- is to just say the information is "unavailable". The host can add their personal opinion, but the contestants can choose to ignore the opinion, knowing that there is no actual information to support it.

Respectfully,
rreader
Jul 14th, 2018, 6:38 pm
Jul 14th, 2018, 7:16 pm
If you choose to ignore the opinion of the host the blame is on you. They are usually clues when we can't answer Yes, No or neither.
I think that you are the only one having goose chases and WTF's. We never had that many complaints.
I'll try to do better but don't be a sore loser. ;)
Jul 14th, 2018, 7:16 pm
Jul 14th, 2018, 7:46 pm
Amill wrote:If you choose to ignore the opinion of the host the blame is on you. They are usually clues when we can't answer Yes, No or neither.

That's why there are rules on this. It's not just my opinion.

I posted in the Discussion thread that when there are questions that can't easily be answered Yes or No, some of the approved responses (per the rules) are to say that the information is "not available" or "not appropriate". I think in one of the contests the phrase "it is debatable" was introduced.

So again, this is not new. Reading the rules -- or rather the revisions made to the rules over time -- shows that this type of thing has been a problem and the moderator changed the rules so that language like "A simple Yes or No is not available" would be one of the remedies.

I think that you are the only one having goose chases and WTF's. We never had that many complaints.

Most people are more polite than me. ;)

P.S. - Let's just agree to disagree and call a truce.

On to the next round! :)
Jul 14th, 2018, 7:46 pm