The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Dec 27th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Title: Grendel: Black, White, and Red (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Matt Wagner (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Anonymous (Review 1) and A. Ross (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" You will be impressed."

Review:
    Review 1 - Beautiful.

Matt Wagner has made a masterpeice. I first heard of Grendel a few years ago, and was impressed with what I heard. The history of the character is very long and extensive, with various incarnations over the centuries. This focuses solely on Wagner's original Grendel, Hunter Rose. As always the original is the best. Grendel is the closest incarnation of pure evil that can ever be portrayed in all of literature. Each story in this anthology gives the reader the history of Hunter as his eventual creation of Grendel. The artwork is superb, all in black and white with the red accenuating each story in it's own way, from blood, roses, wine, to even the dialogue. This is the best introduction into Grendel for new readers. You will be impressed.

Review 2 - Not the Best Entrypoint to the Grendelverse.

With no particular knowledge of the Grendelverse, I picked this up at the library the other day. As a designer who loves using just black, white, and red, I was curious to see how the different artists who contributed to this collection implemented the limited palette. From an artistic perspective it's a great book, especially for those like me who aren't comic book fans, since one gets to sample the works of a wide variety of some of the best in the field. Those I especially liked were Tim Bradstreet, Duncan Fegredo, John Paul Leon, and Chris Sprouse. (It should be noted that this is definitely adult reading, with some fairly violent sequences, and a fair amount of explicit sexual material.)

The storytelling is another matter however. The 21 short stories are interesting and engaging at times, but as a whole, kind of arbitrary and confusing. They tease out some of the arch-vigilante's backstory, but not enough to really connect the dots. Basically, there's no context, and it's not clear how the main character developed into both a master criminal and an ultraviolent avenging angel, or what exactly it is that transforms him into such an evil killing machine. Subsequent poking around on the internet leads me to believe that you really need to have read Wagner's earlier Grendel book "Devil By the Deed" in order to get much out of these stories as they apparently flesh out a number of minor characters and incidents from Wagner's earlier work. Especially confusing are the appearances by a werewolf creature, who in one story is fighting Grendel, and in another, is kind of babysitting Grendel's adopted child. The sudden appearance of that child, and references to an uncle are equally confusing. But it's all interesting enough that I'm inclined to go check out some more in the series.

More info:
    Writer: Matt Wagner
    Artist: John Paul Leon, Tim Sale, Duncan Fegredo, Paul Chadwick, David Mack, Jason Pearson, Chris Sprouse
    Editor: Diana Schutz
    Designer: Cary Grazzini
    Cover Artist: Matt Wagner
    Genre: Crime, Action/Adventure

Publisher:

Dec 27th, 2011, 7:49 pm
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:47 pm

Title: Grendel - Devil's Reign (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Matt Wagner (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Allen Mozek (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Serious and considered writings on this bizarre and brilliant series are still scant, but with any luck these reissues will warrant a well-deserved reappraisal.
"

Review:
    Matt Wagner introduced the Hunter Rose Grendel in a series of back-up features in his ‘Mage’ comic book. These back-ups, later collected in ‘Devil by the Deed,’ succeed as an ornately paneled integration of text and illustration. Using a sleek, art deco inspired layout, Wagner conjures images of precise stain glass. ‘Devil by the Deed’ manages to straddle that elusive edge between the comic book and the illustrated novel. The Grendel cycle has always playfully flirted with this borderland of text and illustration inherent to the medium. Text, not just as script, but also as an object in and of itself, has played a major role in the series. I’ve mentioned in previous posts the strong epistolary nature of Grendel’s narrative. Either as narrative devices, such as Brian Li Sung’s diary in ‘The Devil Inside,’ or as plot catalysts, such as Hunter Rose and Christine Spar’s journals. text drives forward both personal consequence and history in the Grendel cycle.

‘Devil’s Reign’ collects the concluding issues of the original ongoing ‘Grendel’ series from Comico. This story line sees the culmination of Grendel as a zeitgeist, as this occurs hundreds of years in the future. Orion Assante, the beleaguered protagonist of the previous storyline, ‘God and the Devil,’ here utilizes Grendel’s recognizable image and its accompanying cultural attaché to rally the global populace. By the conclusion of the volume, the world has been united under the banner of Grendel. ‘Devil’s Reign’ is centered around two poles, parallel storylines that comment and compliment upon each other through differences in execution and focus. The first of the two, as previously mentioned, follows Orion Assante as he consolidates political power following the dissolution of papal conglomerates in ‘God and the Devil.’ Wagner frames the global ascent of Assante using the commentary of Crystal Kennedy Martel – another text on which both narrative and plot hinges. Assante’s story is told through extensive excerpts from Crystal Kennedy Martel’s book, accompanied by illustrations from Tim Sale, rendered with thick lines and flat colors. As was the case in ‘Devil by the Deed,’ we must remember we are reading an account of events and not directly observing them. Where Christine Spar, the daughter of Hunter Rose’s ward, Stacy, narrates ‘Devil by the Deed’ Martel, herself the daughter of future Regent Laurel Kennedy, narrates the Assante segment of ‘Devil’s Reign.’

The second narrative of ‘Devil’s Reign,’ titled ‘Tales from the Underground,’ is also told through account, as Wagner and Sale chronicle the imprisonment in VEGAS of the vampiric horde lead by former COP, Pellon Cross. The vampires are corralled into Caesar’s Palace, renamed Grendel’s Palace. Whereas Cross developed into a third narrative voice in ‘God and the Devil,’ severe, exacting and analytical, in ‘Devil’s Reign’ his account is conspicuously missing, as his lieutenants instead narrate the events. This absence is ironic, as Cross, now calling himself the First One, becomes prone to self-aggrandizing monologues throughout ‘Devil’s Reign.’ The contrast between the former discipline of Cross and his new megalomania is telling. Zebra, Cross’ lieutenant who becomes increasingly disenfranchised with ‘the First One,’ comments that ‘He didn’t used to like hearing his own voice so much. Back before he rose. And became the First One.” The volume ends with a blood-besotted Cross cackling as he asks for another drink. His is the last voice, not Orion Assante, not Crystal Kennedy Martel, not even one of Cross’ lieutenant’s. No, ‘Devil’s Reign’ ends with a blank voice, one that signifies nothing other than its own incoherence.

“Grendel: War Child,” the next entry in the cycle, the mini-series, concludes the greater storyline, aside from a few odds and ends published since. ‘Devil’s Reign,’ though, serves as the true climax of the series. It is here that the concept of Grendel has expanded, and diversified, to accommodate a nation, instead of one or two men. Orion Assante may stand as the Grendel-Khan, the great global unifier, but he is only the head of a larger beast. ‘Devil’s Reign’ does not end with its protagonist’s tragic demise. Perhaps the true protagonist of this volume is the world itself, as it falls under the sway of Grendel. The strong personalities that initially drove the series, Hunter Rose and Christine Spar, have not so much been sublimated, but completely forgotten by this point in the series. The symbol of Grendel has manifested a history of its own divorced from biological facts.

Assante travels to VEGAS in order to retrieve Eppy Thatcher, the masked Grendel of ‘God and the Devil,’ in hopes of discovering the depths of the devil’s hold. Orion asks Eppy, who has been horribly disfigured and broken, “…if you still feel moved by the devil’s hand – or, if not, can you remember when the spirit left you?” Eppy can’t. The spirit has moved on. Orion calls out Eppy’s name, and the shrunken thing replies, “S-stop callin’ me that! My name is.. is Ratso now. ‘Cause I live like a rat… in the sewers… where the leeches are – b-big fuckin’ leeches, yeah, boy. ‘s hard livin’, boy – fuckin’ right…” Grendel, then, is an intersection of function and circumstance, it’s a relational contingent that differs according to each situation. Grendel may concentrate around a person, but it is never that person. Wagner’s recent mini-series, ‘Behold the Devil,’ addresses this concept in respect to Hunter Rose, whose mystique is for many fans as strong as that of Grendel itself. Hunter Rose is offered a vision of the multiplicity of Grendel from which he recoils – Grendel cannot be contained within ‘Hunter Rose!’ Wagner’s interest in exploring Grendel from a varieties of identity and narrative are strongly reminiscent of Michael Moorcock’s investigations of the genre hero in his Eternal Champion series.

Hopefully Dark Horse Comics will be continuing its reissues of the Grendel cycle with a new printing of ‘War Child’ in the near future. ‘War Child’ partially represents a retreat from the new global perspective which makes ‘Devil’s Reign’ such an exciting comic book, but it does offers a up-close look at this strange world altered by Grendel and futuristic political machinations. It is a wonderful privilege, though, to have such an idiosyncratic and pivotal chapter in the Grendel cycle back in print. Serious and considered writings on this bizarre and brilliant series are still scant, but with any luck these reissues will warrant a well-deserved reappraisal.

Vivat Grendel.

More info:
    Written by Matt Wagner
    Penciled by Tim Sale

Publisher:

Dec 27th, 2011, 10:47 pm
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:09 am

Title: Batman Arkham Unhinged (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Derek Fridolfs (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Andrew Asberry (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" It’s a weak debut issue, but don’t let that discourage you...."

Review: Arkham Unhinged #1
    I was supposed to have an interview with author Derek Fridolfs about this series but that’s been postponed. Since that’s not happening anytime soon I’ve decided to write reviews of the five digital comics I bought in preparation for the interview…

Never before have I paid for a digital comic. Digital comics are a real blessing to international comic book fans who don’t have access to comic shops overstocked with issues of DC and Marvel heroes upon day of release or any day…ever. But when it comes to a guy from Missouri, like me, the desire or need to buy a digital comic just isn’t there. I like to collect comics, real comics that I can touch. I get every issue in a series with maybe a few variants here and there. I like the feel of getting to hold it in my hands and these digital comics just aren’t very tangible.

But, this is different. Batman: Arkham Unhinged is available online and online only so if you don’t buy it on comixology.com, you just aren’t going to see anymore of the “Arkhamverse” outside of the 2 stellar Rocksteady games. Period. And that sucks. Let’s face it, Batman comics right now are basically a sea of sameness. It’s all one timeline that’s been battered around by the DC New 52 reboot where we are in a constant state of confusion as to how long Batman has operated, if Bane ever even showed up, how Barbara started walking again, etc. It’s all one universe, poorly coordinated. With Batman: Arkham Unhinged you don’t get all that baggage. You won’t be running to back issues or find yourself scouring Wikipedia for hours educating yourself about what happened or if ___ is still canon.

It’s real simple: did you play Arkham Asylum? If so, you’re good. If not, it’ll be the best $20 you ever spent, enjoy. That’s all it takes! You’re all caught up on what’s happened. Oh, and you know how Batman: The Animated Series is still the gold-standard for how Batman should be handled, well Paul Dini was the architect behind this Arkhamverse. You shouldn’t need more convincing than that.

Batman: Arkham Unhinged picks up where the prequel mini-series written by Paul Dini and Derek Fridolfs left off meaning that it’s still a prequel to the Arkham City video game which came out over a month ago. So now that most who are interested in this universe have already played through Arkham City…what reason is there to go back? Obviously, a more interesting comic would take place after the events of Arkham City, but there’s still plenty of good stuff for Fridolfs to work with. Think about all the characters from Arkham City that were underused. Now is the chance to flesh them out a bit. I can’t be the only one who was disappointed by the lack of Black Mask. He’s one of the first character trophies you get, yet he does nothing in the main story and only makes a small cameo in the beginning of the game and in the Robin DLC. What happened to Scarecrow? What were Robin and Nightwing up to that night? How about Gordon? The possibilities are numerous, but far from endless. Exactly how much time Arkham Unhinged has to tell its story before the video game begins is still in question and the series seems apprehensive about giving away important plot points in its video game counterpart. Hopefully, as the series continues author Derek Fridolf will get more freedom to include more spoilerish material from Arkham City, but for now he’s playing it safe.

The Actual Review

When it comes to reviewing a digital comic I have no standard to go by. It costs a dollar and it’s only around 10 pages long. So rather than going by a 1-10 scale I’m going to make any digital comic review plain and simple: it’s either “Worth a Buck” or it’s not and in that case I’ll recommend something else that is worth a dollar.
    Chapter 1: Inside Job is a comic that features Selina Kyle changing into her Catwoman outfit while watching the news. An exposition heavy newscast that introduces Mayor Quincy Sharp and Dr. Hugo Strange while reminding us what Arkham City is. We learn that Two-Face and Catwoman are the only real super-villains still at large and Hugo Strange is dead-set on catching them. Catwoman doesn’t like this too much so she makes a cheeky remark with her numerous cats as her only audience and then turns the TV off…with her whip. The good news is that this issue and the series improves in quality after that bit of silliness and Two-Face calls up Catwoman. Look at this shot:

Pretty cool, huh? I found this to be the moment that Arkham Unhinged truly begins. Every panel leading up to the Two-Face reveal was nothing but plain backgrounds and boring exposition with a ridiculous whip cracked TV on/switch finale. As soon as Two-Face shows his ugly mug the door bursts in and we get wonderful fight scene between Catwoman and some Tyger guards. But…I spoke a little too soon. We get a shot of what Selina’s bedroom looks like and there’s knock-off Hello Kitty stuff everywhere and slippers and it just doesn’t feel like the sort of place Selina would sleep. At all. It’s just goofy. Oh and for anyone complaining about how Catwoman’s boobs were always hanging out (you are the minority, by the way) and that there’s be no way for her to fight like that, you’ll be pleased to know that when the Arkham Unhinged Catwoman gets in a fight she zips up.

Much like the first issue of Catwoman’s own comic, she gets run out of her apartment by thugs. Nothing we haven’t seen before. Hugo orders that they take Catwoman’s belongings from her vault and wait for her to come to them. The end. Not much, but you have to admit that they managed to squeeze quite a bit of content into just 10 pages. It’s just a shame that half of that was devoted toward explaining something that the folks who are interested in buying this comic already know by heart. It’s a weak debut issue, but don’t let that discourage you. This is the weakest Arkham Unhinged issue and even it’s not that bad when compared with some comics on shelves for 4 times as much. Honestly, though, the first 3 issues of Arkham Unhinged can be skipped. The real fun starts at issue #4 and that new arc.

More info:
    Written by Derek Fridolfs
    Art by Mike S. Miller

Publisher:

Dec 28th, 2011, 10:09 am
Dec 28th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Title: Pervert Club (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Will Allison (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Greg McElhatton (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" One of those books that I’m now kicking myself for having not bought earlier."

Review:
    When I first heard the title Pervert Club I was a little dubious. My initial reaction was that it was somehow a book that would be making fun of others, or somehow mocking. It wasn’t until an hour later that it suddenly hit me that there was a much more logical use of the word “pervert”—that the word was being reclaimed as a badge of honor, not shame. And happily? That’s exactly the case for this first collection of Will Allison’s fun little comic.

Word is quickly spreading all over school: Malcolm Davis was caught sniffing his sister’s underpants. The only thing is, that’s not really the case. Malcolm was up to something entirely different in his sister’s bedroom. His best friend April says she’ll always stand by him, but when Malcolm is chosen by popular star student Julia to be a member of the secret Pervert Club, April may find this promise harder to stick to than she originally thought.

Allison’s writing in Pervert Club has a nice progression to it, taking us step by step from a vanilla world into one full of people who are considered different by many. He wisely uses April as our main viewpoint character; by having Pervert Club primarily from the eyes of someone on the outside looking in, every twist and turn is a surprise to her. It’s nice to watch April starts figuring out that her friend Malcolm is still the same person she’d formed a bond with way back when; it’s not too quick nor to slow to happen, which makes it realistic. It’ll be interesting to see in upcoming volumes how this knowledge affects April’s feelings towards the rest of the Pervert Club, and if some of them could end up being her friends as well. The rest of the Pervert Club, incidentally, is pretty entertaining in their own right. It’s hard to pick a favorite out of their varied characters but I think I’d have to choose the always silent Mirabelle, whom Allison has lurking in the corners of the story all the while. It’s a fun group of characters, though, and there’s enough story potential in them to fuel dozens of additional volumes if Allison so wished. Their leader, Julia, is clearly the most important of them all. She founded the Pervert Club, after all, and her unapologetic stance towards everyone’s turn-ons is part of the charm of Pervert Club. She tells it like it is, and when she sees someone who’s in a state of repression helps them break free. I think it says a lot that for a character that (through the eyes of April) first seems like a villain, feels almost like a hero as the book unfolds. (Almost, but not quite. She’s a great character!)

Having only previously seen Allison’s art in the fantastic Bunny Town it was interesting to see his earlier efforts. It’s a different style from him than I was used to, a little rougher and angular than Bunny Town. It’s interesting to watch Allison continue to adapt and refine his craft from one chapter to the next, though; with each page Malcolm and April get more expressive, able to really carry Allison’s stories and ideas. I like how the minor characters get their own attention as well, too; Mirabelle’s spectacled face peeping around corners is a great combination of funny and eerie, for instance, and Mindy watching Kimberley play volleyball is nothing short of hysterical.

Ultimately, Pervert Club is one of those books that I’m now kicking myself for having not bought earlier. This collection of the first four issues of the series is smartly crafted and quickly addictive, and knowing that there are eight more issues waiting to be collected gives me great joy. Definitely check this book out, I think anyone with a good sense of humor will get just as much enjoyment as I did from Pervert Club .

More info:
    Written and illustrated By Will Allison

Publisher:

Dec 28th, 2011, 1:51 pm
Dec 28th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Title: Necrowar (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Simon Furman (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Mark Clapham (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Dreamwave may have just tried to reinvented the wheel."

Review: NECROWAR #1
    Pitched as a revolution in digital comics, ‘Necrowar’ is less a revolution, more a reinvention of mid-90s ‘2000AD’ strips. Adi Granov’s digital art is reminiscent of the heavily airbrushed style of many ‘2000AD’ space operas, all lavish detail and stiff characters. The concept, created by Dreamwave chief Pat Lee, is also highly Thargish – it’s the future, there’s a big war with a horrific alien force, only a few misfits can save us. It seems that, in trying to do something new, Dreamwave may have just tried to reinvented the wheel.

Where ‘Necrowar’ has the advantage over the British weekly is its writing. Lee has put his baby in the hands of Simon Furman, reigning king of all things ‘Transformers’ and legend of the British comics strip. Unlike ‘2000AD’, ‘Necrowar’ has good scripting, and is guaranteed 100% free of Robbie Morrison, Dan Abnett, Gordon Rennie or any of the other hacks that currently infest the House of Dredd. While unspectacular, Furman’s script is well paced, introducing the central concepts and the doom-laden atmosphere of ‘Necrowar’.

There’s a distinct lack of humour, perhaps unsurprisingly considering the morose tone. Furman’s greatest gift always lay with the big plot twist, and here it’s a couple of set-pieces that linger in the memory – a grim childhood anecdote in the first couple of pages, and the cliff-hanging massacre sequence at the end. Everything in-between is a bit too generic, and the answers are either slow in coming or too obscure for my brain.

As with so many new titles, ‘Necrowar’ has one key problem – it doesn’t seem to have anything spectacularly new to offer. Perhaps the series will prove to have a killer hook in later issues, but that twist can’t be held off too long. At the moment there’s nothing terribly special about the story, and the questions the book raises are not so much tantalising mysteries as holes in the worldbuilding. With its metallic pallet of battleship grey armour and spaceships, ‘Necrowar’ is in danger of being too dull to get noticed. More colour and variance of tone – both in the art and the story – will be necessary if the title isn’t going to wind up dead in a ditch

More info:
    Published by: Dreamwave Productions
    Written by: Simon Furman
    Art by: Adi Granov

Publisher:

Dec 28th, 2011, 3:30 pm
Dec 28th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Title: Madam Samurai, Vol. 1 (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Gary Young (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: seaberry (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" A unique twist on the classic samurai story and definitely deserves a wide audience."

Review:
    Madam Samurai is the interesting story of an unnamed, mute girl who learns the ways of the samurai from a ronin, or masterless samurai. The story begins in Victorian-era London, but then jumps back to 19thcentury Japan, where we see a young boy named Kazuo watch his mother commit a ritualistic suicide to honor the memory of her dead husband. Kazuo is taken in by another samurai and quickly becomes rivals with his biological son, Toshiro. Their sibling rivalry sets in motion the events that lead to the birth of Madam Samurai.

The writing in Madam Samurai is very captivating and cinematic. Gary Young‘s screenwriting background was very beneficial to the pacing of the story. Despite several flashbacks, the story does not get bogged down or obstructed by this device. In fact, every scene in the story was essential, which is a testament to the editing work of Shane Chebsey. The young Madam Samurai is an interesting protagonist, and we are able to watch her transformation from mute peasant girl to samurai’s pupil to would-be defender of the less fortunate in old London.

David Hitchcock‘s art, though black and white, is very vivid and vibrant. Hitchcock’s swordfights are very fluid, to the point where the reader may recall some of the classic works of Akira Kurosawa or other Asian filmmakers from that period. Since Madam Samurai is mute, her expressions speak for her, meaning that Hitchock’s art is the only way to convey her thoughts and ideas to the audience. Hitchcock stepped up to this challenge and his art really shines in the closeup panels of Madam Samurai. The reader can almost feel her determination and frustration on each page.

Madam Samurai is a unique twist on the classic samurai story and definitely deserves a wide audience. Fans of old Asian cinema, samurai enthusiasts, and lovers of interesting comics are in for a treat. Madam Samurai was originally conceived as a feature film before the comic was created. Fortunately, Scar Comics saw the great potential in this story as an ongoing comic series. Hopefully, the film will eventually be greenlit and produced. Until then, however, we have this unique comic that sets up Madam Samurai and her world and is a great read on its own, film or no film.

More info:
    Written by Gary Young
    Art & Cover by David Hitchcock
    Edited by Shane Chebsey

Publisher:

Dec 28th, 2011, 4:22 pm
Dec 28th, 2011, 6:12 pm

Title: Iron Man 2.0 (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Nick Spencer (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Alex Evans (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" It’s hard to really get into the book or the characters portrayed."

Review: Iron Man 2.0 #5
    The Story: Iron Fist, War Machine, and the Immortal Weapons are summoned to the Eighth City, where another hammer has fallen.

The Review: Is there any Marvel title suffering more of an identity crisis? After last month’s debacle, an out-of-nowhere Fear Itself tie-in only serves to gum up the works further.

But really, while it makes us take an utterly ill-timed detour from the current Palmer Addley arc, which still had yet to really go anywhere, I don’t think Fear Itself is to blame for this rather strange comic. Rather, it’s Nick Spencer’s bizarre idea to focus this issue entirely on the world of Iron Fist and the Immortal Weapons. Indeed, while we see Rand, much of this book is spent in the Eighth City with new bad guy Sun Wukong, the Monkey King. Meanwhile, poor Rhodey isn’t in this comic for more than a couple of pages, his presence feeling completely unnecessary and done out of obligation.

It’s hard not to be angry with Spencer here. People who purchased this book wanted a War Machine comic, not an Iron Fist book. Many readers probably aren’t even familiar with the canceled Iron Fist comic. How hard would it have been for Spencer to write a serviceable Fear Itself Rhodey comic? I mean, he’s even in DC during the Blitzkrieg. But no, instead, he’s whisked off as an afterthought to a mystical kung-fu story.

And really, it’s hard to even tell the nature of that story, since this entire issue is completely set-up. The story barely gets off the starting blocks here. We see the hammer land in the Eighth City, Wukong beats down a few demons, and Iron Fist and War Machine get teleported. Outside of a single page montage, we don’t see the Immortal Weapons at all. There’s really nothing here to get attached to. Danny and Rhodey also spend so little time together, that we don’t even get any real character interaction between the two.

The art certainly doesn’t help either. I’ll be blunt: I’m not an Ariel Olivetti fan. I find his artwork unnatural and stiff and his CG backgrounds horrendous. As always, the backgrounds here are either none existent, or slightly manipulated photographs, which leads to the comic occasionally feeling like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, with illustrated characters superimposed over photographs masked with various computer effects. Olivetti’s work just doesn’t feel natural to me, and as a result, it’s hard to really get into the book or the characters portrayed.

The bottom-line is that after reading this comic, I think Spencer could write a good Iron Fist comic. The problem though, is that this isn’t an Iron Fist comic, so not only is this an awkward read, but it’s also aware of it’s not really being an Iron Fist book, meaning that Rhodey and Fear Itself are around too, which only leads to a comic that’s even more awkward.

Conclusion: Spencer writes really good comics. Morning Glories is fantastic. THUNDER Agents is fantastic. His Fear Itself tie in for Secret Avengers, the first issue of which came out this week as well, was surprising in just how good it really was. So what the hell is the problem here? Once again, it feels like Spencer is flailing.

More info:
    Nick Spencer (writer)
    Ariel Olivetti (artist)
    Joe Caramagna (letterer)

Publisher:

Dec 28th, 2011, 6:12 pm
Dec 28th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Title: KIRBY GENESIS: CAPTAIN VICTORY (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Sterling Gates (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: John DesPlaines (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" This comic is gorgeous and sparkles with the flair of the old days."

Review: KIRBY GENESIS: CAPTAIN VICTORY #1
    Publisher’s Blurb:
    The enigmatic soldier known as Captain Victory leads an elite group of intergalactic rangers through the mysterious and deadly cosmos, fighting against forces set on the destruction of life, itself! But who is this man, and what does he want? This special introductory issue starts with a bang, as the deadliest battle Captain Victory and his men have ever fought begins!

Reviewer’s Comments:
    Wow. Maybe it’s because I’m coming at this with new eyes, but this retooling of a Kirby original character seems like a good start and it’s heading in the right direction. I’m not sure if it’ll catch on, but I think it has a shot.

If you’re not familiar with Captain Victory, he’s like the 1980s Flash Gordon, a traveling lawman with big guns, ready to squash the bad guys by chasing them around the galaxy. Developed by Kirby in the 70s, pitched as a TV series, it eventually landed at Pacific Comics and went direct to market. It’s virtually the first comic to be made outside of the majors.

Now with Gates storytelling and Ross’s art direction, CV is back and updated to fight galactic wrongdoers.

Alex Ross’s vintage-soaked cover art and lettering are like a one-two punch to the mouth from your girlfriend, if she were to sing to you right afterward. It’s a kind of visual awe that you only get from the likes of Ross.

As I was reading the comic, too, I felt like I could feel the heat of the stars of distant galaxies. Props to Wagner Reis, this comic is gorgeous and sparkles with the flair of the old days.

The dialogue is a bit stunted but in that classic superhero fashion that we all love, with enough tech gadgetry words to make you tongue tied, but the story is fun and moves well.

The comic is clearly targeted to the kid crowd. The plot is simple: Stop the bad guys. However, I really found the underlying social commentary to play nicely for the older fellas like me, looking for a nice read between the lines. There’s some good Machiavellian stuff in here, and a fight between–not just good and evil– but justice and revenge. And maybe a splash of whether killing is ever right or wrong. The lack of a hard-nosed moral imperative is what makes this iteration of Kirbydom pretty neat and cutting edge.

If you wanna see the big buff classic Kirby hero with the huge jaw, saving the world, this is a good one. I’d say it’s a victory for Dynamite, and the artists who made it. Nice one, guys!

More info:
    Writer: Sterling Gates
    Pencils: Wagner Reis
    Colors: Inlight Studio (Cover Art by Alex Ross)

Publisher:

Dec 28th, 2011, 6:52 pm
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:30 pm

Title: Samurai Legend (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Jean-Francois Di Giorgio (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Zak Edwards (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" A simple story allowing for breathtaking art. Highly recommended."

Review: Samurai:Legend #4
    Marvel Comics and French comic publisher Soleil have been collaborating for over a year in order to translate French comics into english for the North American audience. One of these titles is Frederic Genet and Jean-Francois Di Giorgio’s Japanese story Samurai: Legend. The series concluded this month with its fourth issue, but the entire series has been an incredible read. Drawing heavily on much of the Japanese history and mythology found within much of our culture, Samurai: Legend does very little new in terms of plot or characters, but brings something familiar and all-round good. But the series proudly displays the “Mature Content” label for nudity and violence, so be warned.

Writer Jean-Francois Di Giorgio has crafted a fairly generic story following a stoic, mysterious, and far too quiet Samurai, his loud-mouthed and fairly incompetent friend, and some other characters on their quest to stop the resurrection of a Thirteenth Prophet who wants to take over the Empire. While much of the characters are generic, well, all of them are, and the story is very predictable in every way, Samurai: Legend is still an enjoyable read. Genet basically creates many instances for artist Frederic Genet’s absolutely gorgeous art, with some humour and intrigue thrown in for good measure. Much of the humour is derived from the Samurai’s incompetent sidekick Shiro, who constantly makes food which is called everything but appetizing despite his faith in his own ability. But as I said, the series shows off its art, which is filled with beautiful landscapes and dramatic action sequences.

Frederic Genet’s art is breath-taking. His landscapes are just wonderful to look at, almost to the extent where even the smallest speech bubble or sound effect creates a feeling of intrusion. The book is a portfolio of his abilities. Every panel is given a considerable amount of detail, with his legions of armies displaying intricate work all the way to the far background. The colouring also lends itself to the art in very beneficial ways, with the palettes bringing out both the beauty of the landscape and the violence inherent in the wars and individual battles throughout the work. Every panel feels like an individual piece of art that just happens to work together to tell a story.

While this title and the other Soleil comic books translated with Marvel Comics do not represent the French comic book scene, I would recommend looking into these titles for a taste of something rooted outside of the American and British comic book scene to which we in North America are accustomed.

8.5/10 A simple story allowing for breathtaking art. Highly recommended.

More info:
    Writer(s): Jean-Francois Di Giorgio
    Penciller(s): Frederic Genet
    Colourist(s): Delphine Rieu
    Letterer(s): Joe Carmagna
    Cover Artist(s): Frederic Genet

Publisher:

Dec 28th, 2011, 11:30 pm
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:10 am

Title: Grendel: Past Prime (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Greg Rucka (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: mike (Review 1) and kainlane (Review 2) and Elizabeth (Review 3) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Very vivid descriptions and lots of excitement."

Review:
    Review 1 - While a big fan of the Grendel comic books, I can't say that I would really recommend this novel. Don't mistake me; if you too are a fan of the comic especially the Grendel Prime series, then pick this book up. Otherwise chances are you'll have a very rough time figuring out what is going on. You'll get the basic actions but there is so many little things that are referenced or part of the Grendel series that newcomers would find this very hard to follow. The novel continues the story of what happened to Grendel Prime and to Susan, the other protagonist from that series. Susan ends up searching out Grendel Prime in an attempt to gain meaning in her life. Along the way, she is tested only as a Grendel can be tested. Overall it is a good novel but nothing for people who are brand new to Matt Wagner's Grendel mythology.

Review 2 - This is a novel based on the comic series created by Matt Wagner. It is written by Greg Rucka and accompanied by illustrations from Matt Wagner. The story follows Susan, a grendel who has a past highly involved with the empire, including having been lovers with the sister of the empire and part of the rebellion to bring Jupiter to power. This book follows her after the empire has once again collapsed at Jupiter's murder. She is looking for the Paladin, the Grendel-Prime, that once protected Jupiter as a boy. The story was good, but at times rather predictable. There were a few instances of cliched plot points, so that was a little disappointing, but overall it was good.
    The illustrations by Wagner were a nice addition, mostly done in a fairly loose style. One thing I found odd was he seemed to have a desire to Always illustrate any nude scenes, even if there was something much more interesting on the page.
    Overall, a decent book but not spectacular. 3.5/5

Review 3 - When I ordered this book I'd THOUGHT it was one of Matt Wagner's graphic novels, and at first I was disappointed to find it's an "illustrated novel" (heavy on the text, light on the illustrations.) But then I ended up reading it in about a day, because it's a very fun read, and sucks you in pretty quickly. For all the violence and mayhem, it's also, in a teeny tiny way, a bit of a love story. Two love stories actually. One's pretty erotic, the other...isn't. Greg Rucka does a wonderful job, very vivid descriptions and lots of excitement. Worth a read, definitely.

More info:
    Written by Greg Rucka
    Art by Matt Wagner

Publisher:

Dec 29th, 2011, 12:10 am
Dec 29th, 2011, 6:56 am

Title: IRON MAN HYPERVELOCITY (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Adam Warren (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Andy Oliver (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" This is fast-paced, un-missable Iron Man action. Highly recommended."

Review: Iron Man: Hypervelocity #4
    Tony Stark has been taken out but Iron Man lives on as a fugitive as Adam Warren’s stunning take on the techno world of the armored Avenger continues.

Tony Stark has been ambushed and critically injured by a group of unknown mecha. But all is not lost for Iron Man, as the latest version of the suit has been built with a failsafe for just such an eventuality: if Stark is incapacitated the armor uploads his memories into a digital consciousness… a Tony Stark 2.0.

However, Stark’s mysterious attackers won’t let things rest there. The now sentient armor has been framed as rogue and S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Cape-Killer forces are on its tail. As Tony Stark 2.0 struggles to come to terms with his/its existence he is also being attacked from the inside by a virus, represented by an avatar of a beautiful woman named Absynthe, which has infected the armor’s processors.

With attacks from within and without, can the Stark 2.0 consciousness survive long enough to discover who framed the armor and tried to kill the real Tony Stark before S.H.I.E.L.D. takes him out or Absynthe deletes him from the armor’s systems?

It’s not often these days that a writer comes along and can pinpoint everything that is unique about an individual super-hero, extrapolate those qualities to their fullest and give us a take on that character that exploits the potential of his series to its ultimate end. Adam Warren has done just that on Iron Man: Hypervelocity.

Too often in the past Iron Man stories have casually thrown technobabble at us without any real understanding or thought as to the true story possibilities of those concepts. Here the writer embraces everything that separates Iron Man from his contemporaries to give us a quite exceptional take on the character.

Warren’s storytelling skills utilize the comic strip form to its utmost in order to switch between the environments that the narrative demands. A significant amount of the story so far takes place within the armor as Stark 2.0 struggles against invasion. But there are also clever flashbacks throughout the series where Absynthe has imposed herself into Stark’s memories of his past, as the virus she represents continues to corrupt this version of his consciousness. Added to this are a number of dynamic chase scenes as, in the "real" world, S.H.I.E.L.D. closes in.

Adam Warren provides breakdowns for artist Brian Denham who has co-created a look for the book that is simply breathtaking. His art has a beautifully photo-realistic style, however oxymoronic that sounds for a series that spends much of its time in cyberspace! This month’s renditions of an undersea subculture of disillusioned mechanical beings and A.I.s are, quite simply, inspired.

Iron Man: Hypervelocity is a book I suspect will have slipped under many readers’ radars. Whether you pick up the individual issues, or wait for the trade, this is fast-paced, un-missable Iron Man action. Highly recommended.

More info:
    Words: Adam Warren
    Art: Brian Denham
    Inks: Brian Denham
    Colors: Guru eFX

Publisher:

Dec 29th, 2011, 6:56 am
Dec 29th, 2011, 9:11 am

Title: Captain America: The Chosen (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): David Morrell (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Deamentia (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" It could have used less preaching. "

Review: Captain America: The Chosen #6
    I’ll start off by saying Mitch Breitweiser’s got a long comic book career ahead of him. This guy not only knows how to draw Captain America, but he knows how to draw great action. The art in this series has always been top notch, and this oversized issue is packed with some great sequences and splash montages.

How’s the story? Eh, I was hoping for more – especially from David Morrell (author of First Blood and creator of John Rambo). The first five issues chugged along and felt decompressed. This issue finally gives us a pay off but the first two-thirds of the issue are overly preachy and, dare I say it, sappy. It’s the same redudant Captain America speech we’ve heard before. It’s his idealism, his hopes, his dreams. We get it; we know what Captain America’s about.

By issue #5 I thought I had the story figured out. Captain America is dying from his wounds from Civil War and is grooming his replacement. It seemed like the story was veering towards Corporal Newman somehow getting Cap’s strength and taking the mantle as the new Captain America. Instead, Morrell gives us a whole new story – an “elseworlds” story, if you will. It’s not a bad thing, but the story no longer fits into Marvel continuity!

The end of the issue wraps things up nicely. I like the general premise of this story and the art is beautiful, but it could have used less preaching. It also could have been told in three or four issues. It sucks when stories are drawn out for the sake of selling a trade paperback later on. (Grade: C)

More info:
    By: David Morrell (Writer)
    Mitch Breitweiser (Art)

Publisher:

Dec 29th, 2011, 9:11 am
Dec 29th, 2011, 9:54 am

Title: Grendel: Behold the Devil (Click to go to the release post)
Review source: Kyle Lemmon (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" There's plenty of things to dig into here."

Review:
    Matt Wagner's ongoing "study of the nature of aggression," or Grendel, celebrates its 28th birthday this year, so it seems appropriate to see 2007's Behold the Devil in a snazzy hardcover. Wagner is thankfully going through his archives and re-releasing some old tales, but Behold the Devil is the Eisner-nominated writer/artist's first Grendel series in over 10 years. The prequel narrative follows Hunter Rose during a "lost period" ripped out of his journal.

He's followed by the Detective Elizabeth Sparks and journalist Lucas Ottoman, but also a sinister, supernatural assailant. Wagner's penned many different Grendels in the past, but Hunter Rose has always been the best. In Devil by the Deed, Hunter was an ordinary citizen until a horrible tragedy happened to him. Now he spends his time being a novelist by day and vindictive crime syndicate boss by night. This new series also delves into submerged trauma with Wagner's iconic black, white, and red palette. It would seem to be too monochromatic if it wasn't for the bloody splash pages that come at just the right intervals. Also, the romantically involved Ottoman and Sparks are trailing Grendel throughout. They're often more interesting than the titular character and definitely sexier. Behold the Devil may not be as intellectually engaging as some of Wagner's best tales, but it's still as visceral and ultra-violent. Fight scenes between boss Kwon's Korean hitmen, The Four Winds, and longtime nemesis Argent the Wolf are particularly striking.

This largely stems from Wagner's full involvement. His sparse, yet beautiful illustrations always portray Grendel's many eviscerations with a delightfully brutal panache. Grendel: Behold the Devil's limp and sometimes too revealing plot is unfortunate. There's plenty of things to dig into here. New readers will have an easy time jumping into the simple story and Christine Spar's excerpts from Devil by the Deed help push the exposition. Long term fans will enjoy some of the extras thrown at them via additional pages previously only seen on MySpace. Even after so many years, Hunter Rose is still one of the premiere anti-heroes. Wagner's stated in interviews that he hopes to write and illustrate more Grendel stories in the near future in between working on DC/Vertigo's stellar reboot of Madame Xanadu. Here's hoping that his violent creation can wreak havoc on New York yet again.

More info:
    Created, written and illustrated by Matt Wagner
    Lettering: Tom Orzechowski

Publisher:

Dec 29th, 2011, 9:54 am
Dec 29th, 2011, 10:50 am

Title: Kolchak Lovecraftian Damnation (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): C.J. Henderson (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: carpentermt (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" You don't risk much by giving it a try."

Review:
    I only recently heard about this comic from an interview with CJ Henderson. His other Lovecraftian Kolchak graphic novel was 2007's The Lovecraftian Horror. The previous issue was 96 pages, perfect bound. The Lovecraftian Damnation is a typical comic book, maybe 40 pages? Actually I am reluctant to call it a comic. Conventionally I think of that as panels of pictures with either dialogue ballons or text to help tell the story. These Kolchak books are more a typical CJ Henderson yarn but with one large illustration per page, depicting some aspect of the text. The artist is Robert Hack, who provides serviceable work, not as good as Jaime Calderon for The Lovecraftian Horror.

I have not kept up with Kolchak at all; I only sought this out due to my pursuit of Lovecraftiana. Anyway, this seems to be a sequel to a previous Kolchak yarn probably also by Mr. Henderson. Anyone who knows, let me know too! It has nothing to do with The Lovecraftian Horror.

Kolchak and a TV producer friend previously had almost been killed by a wannabe overlord who was intent on invoking the entity Nyogtha with the Necronomicon. Supposedly he was banished into somewhere else, but now he has fused with the book and creature and is threatening to come back for vengeance on Kolchak!

Mr. Henderson has been writing these kinds of stories for years (and in fact suggests connections to some of the many noir-ish types that populate his stories). Considering his ouevre, there is nothing new or striking here. However, I think Kolchak fans will like it well enough, like a comfortable old shoe, and I know I liked it well enough. The cost is only ~ $ 4.99 so you don't risk much by giving it a try.

More info:
    Story by C.J. Henderson
    Illustrated by Robert Hack

Publisher:

Dec 29th, 2011, 10:50 am
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Title: SERPO (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Jason Burns (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Thijs Van Praet (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" An enjoyable read."

Review:
    When you think of “aliens”, what sort of images enter your mind? Black monstrosities with acid blood that pop out of your chest? Various scantly clad, suspiciously human-looking ladies? Skrulls perhaps? Or maybe you're thinking of scrawny little grey men with big heads who bring us messages of peace. If the last one is the only image of significance to enter your mind, there's a good chance you're a UFO enthusiast and you'll probably dig Serpo .

The introduction quickly informs us that the story we're about to be told is based on real-life information that the United States government failed to keep secret. Apparently the Roswell crash did occur and humanity did make contact with an alien race, and then subsequently set up an exchange program with said aliens.

It's given that with this premise and the fact that people actually seem to believe this, one might be a bit critical as to the quality of the book, yet, Serpo is surprisingly entertaining. The story in itself is fairly well worked out and brought convincingly enough. Burns gives us our crew of twelve chosen Americans (obviously) who get on board of a flying saucer and get dumped in an alien society for ten years.

There is the initial alienation – pun somewhat intended – followed by conflict and, ultimately, resolution and mutual understanding. One criticism, purely based on the storytelling, is that perhaps it isn't quite compelling enough. For all the time we see these people in an alien society, we see very little characterisation, so it's hard to really feel for the characters. Added to that is the fact that the story suffers from some clichés.

That isn't the biggest mistake Serpo makes though. The biggest problem with the book is the actual aliens. They are, essentially, your UFO-enthusiast ideal grey: living in a perfectly communist and harmonious society, spiritual and completely pacifistic except when they have a dire need for self-defense, etc. They truly are the whole “we come in peace”-package.

One might find an alien conveniently human-like in appearance, living on a world that's conveniently habitable to humans with fauna and flora conveniently similar to earth-based species to be, dare we say, somewhat convenient. If that doesn't bother you, the “present day” setting might. A reporter finds a diary that tells the ‘true story’ and gets shot at by men in black because of it. “Gee,” the reporter tells himself, “this can't possibly be true, but it must be, otherwise why were these men trying to kill me?” There's a question for you, why were they? Because if they hadn't been there you would never have given it any credence. Surely even the CIA, FBI or whatever the agency in question is cannot in fact be quite this dull-witted?

It's clear that this book is by and for UFO enthusiasts. If you're into that sort of thing, by all means go ahead and buy this. If you think it's all a load of bollocks, you might want to reconsider.

The art is neither a maker nor a real breaker. The line art is by Joe Eisma is competent, even skilled. His hand is smooth and crisp, giving everything a well-polished feel. The colors by Dustin Evans could be a lot better though. They are pretty soft, in some cases bordering on bleak. This in itself isn't a bad thing, as it might even have suited the story were it not for the shading, or rather the lack thereof. Shading throughout the book is almost exclusively single-tone and very light. It does little to add any perceived depth to the characters and the environment, and the lack of intensity means it certainly fails to deliver a dramatic view where in many places it could have.

All in all, Serpo ’s main positive point is its niche appeal. But even if you fail to care completely about UFOs and government conspiracies, Burns and Eisma have still put together an enjoyable read.

More info:
    Words: Jason Burns
    Art: Joe Eisma
    Inks: Joe Eisma
    Colors: Dustin Evans

Publisher:

Dec 29th, 2011, 12:24 pm