Discuss internal Android hardware as well as accessories such as GPS receivers, keyboards, memory cards, cables, etc. here.
Jun 8th, 2015, 10:43 am
I bought sd Card 128gb and i want to create a second partition for link2sd

Can someone help me please?
Jun 8th, 2015, 10:43 am

Jun 30th, 2017, 12:23 am
Assuming you're still around, and for the benefit of others if you aren't::

Android can only run programs from memory defined as app storage. Android devices vary in how much total storage they have, and how much of that is available for storing apps. Many lower end devices don't have nearly enough.

Many devices can get additional storage by adding an external microSD card, but while you can store data there, you can't store applications on the card and run them from it. The issue is the file system. External cards come formatted as FAT32 or exFAT. Android is a Linux system, and Linux needs to know things like the file's owner, what group the owner is a part of, and what the permission on the file are. Those file systems don't have places to store that metadata.

To get around that, you can repartition an external card, and carve out second partition formatted with the ext4 file system Android uses.

I did this, on a 32GB card, but did it from Windows. I put the microSD card in an adapter, and plugged it into a USB slot. Windows saw the drive as removable media.

From there, I used the freeware Mini-Tools Partition Wizard, from https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html The Free Edition works fine for this.

Follow the directions to create a second partition on the card. Decide how large it needs to be. Since the partition would be used for storing Android apps that could be run from the card, I didn't need a huge one. 2GB - 3GB was adequate. The partition needed to be formatted as ext4. The bit you need to watch for is that the partition must be defined as Primary, otherwise this doesn't work.

Once the card was repartitioned, I popped it out of the adapter, and put it back in my tablet. The tablet had to be power cycled. Once it was back up, Android saw it had a new file system and mounted it. From there, I could run Link2SD, and tell it where the file system was.

I assume you understand how to move apps to the card with Link2SD, and run them from there. If not, give me a PM.
Jun 30th, 2017, 12:23 am