Discuss internal Android hardware as well as accessories such as GPS receivers, keyboards, memory cards, cables, etc. here.
Feb 24th, 2018, 6:53 am
Hi,

I was told about this forum from a friend who said if I wanted to learn more about Android among other things that this was the place to go. This is my first post. Thanks for your help.

I have recently become intertwined with Android devices after doing a side job installing Kodi on an Amazon Fire for someone. To make a long story short, I wound up using an IPTV service to make LiveTV Sports games easier to find. He is elderly and not tech savvy whatsoever.

I wound up bypassing Kodi and just installing the Android version of the app, it was a lot more user friendly, and worked more like normal Television Cable in its GUI. After setting it up at my home and multiple reinstalls of Kodi and apps and settling down on a final method to access the IPTV for him I went to set it up at his house. There were terrible buffer issues in his home. The Comcast wifi/router was sitting 3 feet from the Fire TV, I did have a VPN set up but I was having the same results with the VPN turned off. (Later on I realized it was buffering a lot at my house also a few miles away but also on Comcast). The streams for pre-recorded OnDemand content ran fine without buffering and in high def. So while I definitely think it could have been an issue of overloaded servers, I am looking for more knowledge of how I can learn more about troubleshooting IPTV and understanding the technology behind it and/or a better technology to spend my time on.
Feb 24th, 2018, 6:53 am
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:35 am
Unless you`ve got the time to set up Plex for all involved and set up subscriptions to pirate sites to download the latest films and shows etc automatically, and either watching live stuff after the fact or from dodgy streaming apps like ModBro and I forget all the silly names of the rest.
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:35 am
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:39 am
Then by my limited and very recent understanding, IPTV is the only way to go. There`s lots of hardware that can assist, related to IPTV and unrelated. I`ve just bought Ubiquiti networking gear and will shortly upgrade the actual network. I got an Nvidia Shield TV and some free subs to IPTV services.
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:39 am
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:42 am
It`s all a work in progress but as it is I already have Plex set up with all the latest (good) films and shows in X265, a PC full of games (which I stream and play on the Shield), the networking gear is on its way and some IPTV subs to test.
Saving several hundred pounds for half that up front once.
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:42 am
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:44 am
this is not really the place for IPTV knowledge but I will clue you into what I know.

To watch TV shows and movies, but not in real time, Terrarium TV can not be beat.

To watch live tv channels in real time (HBO/ESPN/etc) Mobdro seems to be the best I've found, but FreeFlixHD is getting better all the time. RedboxTV is also a good live TV app.

There is absolutely positively no way I would waste a second on KODI or any other stuff. It's too much of a hassle unless you pay for a subscription based service. I spend 90% of my TV time on Terrarium and 10% on Mobdro. They just work, and are super simple to learn.
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:44 am
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:45 am
Firstly, I`d say look into replacing whatever modem Comcast gave you with the Arris SB6183. You`re lucky you can over in the US. Then research Ubiquiti. X265 is the best codec for media. A HTPC and a powerful android box are musts imo. Other than that, I would say go with a good IPTV supplier.
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:45 am
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:48 am
Chat with their tech support and if they have forums post in there. This site really helped me A LOT:
https://www.iptvinsider.com
I`m still learning myself, it`s a costly trial by fire but I would rather this headache now and pure joy later, than the constant woes of being under the thumb of an ISP.
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:48 am
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:51 am
And fwiw, I was using KODI when it was XBMC and besides the amazing theming and customisation, I hate the thing. I`d prefer Emby or the others first. Plex is unbeatable though. Obviously the add-ons are a unique selling point of Kodi, but half of them are broke anyway.
Feb 25th, 2018, 6:51 am