Dictionaries, encyclopedias
Jan 26th, 2011, 6:52 am
Google Translate v2.0.0
Requirements: All Android versions
Overview: Use Google Translate to instantly translate text between more than 50 languages. Now with new Conversation Mode.

Recent changes:
* Updated look and feel for entire application
* Conversation Mode view for English-Spanish translation (in alpha)

Features:
* Dictionary results
* Text-to-speech
* Voice input
* Romanization (e.g. Pinyin, Romaji, etc)
* History/star favorite translations

More info:
Code: Select allhttp://www.appbrain.com/app/google-translate/com.google.android.apps.translate

Download Instructions:
http://www.filesonic.com/file/64675401/ ... late-2.apk
Jan 26th, 2011, 6:52 am
Jan 26th, 2011, 9:55 am
Nice release, 15WRZ$ for release. Category: Language
Jan 26th, 2011, 9:55 am
Jan 26th, 2011, 10:43 am
Google translate is good, but I don't use their Android App because the App need permission to access contacts & sms, seriously who want their sms beeing translated? I like Google but I don't trust them for all privacy things (remember Google Map's cars "sniffing" over open wireless network)
So IMHO this App is kinda a spyware, sure I'm not that important for beeing spied, but really don't like closed source App who have access to such permission
Jan 26th, 2011, 10:43 am
Jan 26th, 2011, 6:53 pm
What addon should I install that I would have direct voice converstion ?

regards!
A
Jan 26th, 2011, 6:53 pm
Jan 27th, 2011, 1:37 am
carbonyle wrote:Google translate is good, but I don't use their Android App because the App need permission to access contacts & sms, seriously who want their sms beeing translated? I like Google but I don't trust them for all privacy things (remember Google Map's cars "sniffing" over open wireless network)
So IMHO this App is kinda a spyware, sure I'm not that important for beeing spied, but really don't like closed source App who have access to such permission

Unfortunately almost all apps ask for similar (usually even worse) permissions. You have (not a very good) choice: either learn to live with it or don't install any apps. With 1. choice you give scary permissions to unkown people and with 2. your phone wont be any better than old "brick" phones and you'll miss a lot of cool apps.
Jan 27th, 2011, 1:37 am
Jan 27th, 2011, 8:50 am
JJJJ88 wrote:
carbonyle wrote:Google translate is good, but I don't use their Android App because the App need permission to access contacts & sms, seriously who want their sms beeing translated? I like Google but I don't trust them for all privacy things (remember Google Map's cars "sniffing" over open wireless network)

Unfortunately almost all apps ask for similar (usually even worse) permissions. You have (not a very good) choice: either learn to live with it or don't install any apps. With 1. choice you give scary permissions to unkown people and with 2. your phone wont be any better than old "brick" phones and you'll miss a lot of cool apps.

In fact I block data connection for most App who doesn't need to access to internet with a firewall (droidwall, based on iptables) this way if the App collect information it cannot send it. And I try to not install Apps which need creepy permission. For me privacy *does* matter and we have a lot of very nice app on Android (and I've quite a lot of nice Apps on m y phone). I think is a good thing we can see which permission is granted to the phone
Jan 27th, 2011, 8:50 am
Jan 28th, 2011, 2:34 am
aljo00 wrote:What addon should I install that I would have direct voice converstion ?

regards!
A

Not sure, test it out and see if it asks for something. Let me know and I'll try to get it for ya.
Jan 28th, 2011, 2:34 am