Anything that does not belong in the other categories
Mar 7th, 2010, 8:09 pm
doses descryptions don't work for me anymore :/ (they worked well in v1.0) great program btw ;)
Mar 7th, 2010, 8:09 pm
Mar 8th, 2010, 8:19 am
Lord Yuz wrote:Thanks for your input, I've had a report earlier about this issue and I've managed to narrow down the cause thanks to some "debugging" with the user. It appears to be an intrinsic function that came with the programming language that is giving the problem. I'm designing a workaround and will test it soon.

Cool! I can't wait since I have the same issue. Thanks for everything. :D
Mar 8th, 2010, 8:19 am
Mar 9th, 2010, 2:14 pm
Replace v1.02's EXE on your device with the one below. Remember that it works ONLY if you upgrade from v1.02. Please test it and provide feedback, thanks. v1.03 will be released soon if there are no further problems.

Code: Select allhttp://rapidshare.com/files/361048642/Catalog.exe
Mar 9th, 2010, 2:14 pm

Mar 9th, 2010, 3:48 pm
Lord Yuz wrote:Replace v1.02's EXE on your device with the one below. Remember that it works ONLY if you upgrade from v1.02. Please test it and provide feedback, thanks. v1.03 will be released soon if there are no further problems.

Code: Select allhttp://rapidshare.com/files/361048642/Catalog.exe

I tried it but the same issue still exists though.
Mar 9th, 2010, 3:48 pm
Mar 9th, 2010, 5:57 pm
Thanks for your input. OK here's the cheese:

• Catalog v1.02
    During testing on my Touch HD2 with stock ROM, it worked well.

Strangely, when I flashed to WM6.5.X Miri v7.0, I was able to reproduce the issue that many of you are getting--the SBG files will appear to have lost their categories & descriptions. The informational display however did display whatever else it could glean from what is available to it, such as the cover art and script duration.

As I said in a previous post, I managed to find the troublesome routine (which strangely did not handle null-terminated text strings as it should when running on a modified ROM). So, I wrote v1.03 and included the link in my previous post.

• Catalog v1.03 (1st attempt)
    Testing on stock ROM yielded no noticeable difference (except maybe for a small speed boost due to the new data handler); again it worked well.

Testing with Miri was good & everything worked well, except that clicking on the cover art somehow fails to zoom the picture but instead corrupts the text in the informational display with random junk. It appears that the HTML control is trying to display the picture as text and hence the junk.

However the main issue is that this also caused a stack corruption (data misalignment?) and Catalog would gracefully crash.

So, this is my 2nd attempt. I had no choice but to disable the "clickable cover art" feature for now until a workaround can be found. I also updated the URI generator to (hopefully) provide better resolving of the BMP file.

I used Basic4PPC to write Catalog because at the time it seemed like a good choice as I could code on the go but honestly at this point I feel like scrapping the entire project and probably just code in native MSVC++ because of all the stuff .NET hides under the hood and limitations it imposes on the device. Basic4PPC doesn't do much better because it's essentially a .NET wrapper so naturally it's even more limiting.

Anyway rant over :lol:, here is attempt 2. I would appreciate if you could provide some more feedback, the more detailed the better!

Again, replace the old (v1.02/v1.03) EXE on your device with the one below; it DOES NOT work with earlier versions.
Code: Select allhttp://rapidshare.com/files/361126455/Catalog.exe
Mar 9th, 2010, 5:57 pm

Mar 10th, 2010, 4:42 am
I have updated to v1.03 but alas, there is still no difference (maybe just that small speed boost?).
So these are what I am experiencing...
[From left to right...]
If there is no cover art, the information on the dose will show just that much before it cuts off. The text is not scrollable. If there is cover art, clicking on it does nothing. It is also not scrollable. Now if I play any dose, they play okay but that picture is what I get.

If it helps, I am using Omnia 2 i8000, windows 6.5, original rom, windows titanium.
Mar 10th, 2010, 4:42 am
Mar 10th, 2010, 7:28 am
Many thanks for this update,
works perfect on my Acer DX900 WM6.1. Clicking on cover art enlarges image, scrolling works fine as does playing the doses etc.

Regards
Mar 10th, 2010, 7:28 am
Mar 13th, 2010, 8:31 am
Sorry to report so late. Has been flashing last Sense 2.5 Energy Rom and my Touch Pro has been busy....

The situation with your new version is, inmy case, the same, no cover art and very big font. Not scrollable with fingers.

Any way there is a big improvements in speed scrolling with navigation keys, and now it is possible to read descriptions. And categories work again.

Thanks again Lord

Pd.: I'm not a coder and don't know exactly is this help or if it is just stupid, but maybe you could try this free kinetic control library http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=634316 to change to a not explorer dependant behaviour.
Mar 13th, 2010, 8:31 am
Mar 17th, 2010, 6:08 am
Thanks for your input DosR, but I'm afraid I have done all that I can for now without re-writing the program from scratch again. The controls (such as the Web Browser that I used in the informational display) were written by someone else and as such there's not much I can do to actually modify the control itself or how it works, but I shall see what else can be done at this level.

The listbox I used is a standard one, and it should scroll on Touch devices without requiring any external libraries. It does on mine as well as the WM6.x emulators. Perhaps a little bit of "cracking" would be in order? I don't know just yet.

For now, however, I will release v1.03 primarily because it features an updated SBaGen engine that closes automatically after script playback. When played by Catalog with the "Disable sleep" and "Dim screen" options enabled, where Catalog would bring your device back to it's normal state after playback, and therefore provide possibly more battery savings if a sleep timeout is set by default. This is good to prevent battery drain when you are sleeping, etc.

Code: Select allChangelog v1.03
---------------
Catalog - Improved internal information handling for better informational display compatibility on certain devices.

SBaGen - Now automatically closes itself after script playback.

Please read the main post for v1.03's download link.
Mar 17th, 2010, 6:08 am

Mar 17th, 2010, 7:07 pm
Thanks for your efford and don't worry to much. It is not graphically perfect, but completly usable, wich is most important
Mar 17th, 2010, 7:07 pm
Mar 19th, 2010, 11:33 am
Just so you know, app works perfectly on HD2 (Stock Rom). Didnt expect this thing to actually work but it does!
Thanks
Mar 19th, 2010, 11:33 am

When The Going Gets Weird..............The Weird Turn Pro.
Mar 20th, 2010, 1:48 am
I feel that the claims for each 'dose' are OTT and sometimes impossible. Given the author is selling them this does not surprise me. For example, it is not possible to simulate the effect of magic mushrooms simply by attempting to control brain wave frequency as the effect of Psilysibin (can't spell the word) spreads molecular 'keys' in the blood which interact with brain molecules to unlock various brain fpathways, thus producing the LSD-like effects. This would not be possible by brain entrainment alone, whatever 'dose' of brain frequency you use.

So my feeling is that this is similar to the olde worlde medicine sold by 'Quack Doctors' that cured all ills. In other words, while brain entrainment affects consciousness, these 'doses' are bunkum, with nonsensical, impossible claims for what they do.

This is clearly true of all the 'recreational' drugs 'doses'. We will be using leaches to rid us of depression next.

The 'dose' claims for those consciousness effects that are a primary result of brain frequency are another matter. These claims seem to have some merit.

What isn't clearly proven is that it is possible to 'entrain' the brain to a chosen frequency with this stereo effect. It is assumed to be so but there is no actual proof. This technique originated from the Monroe Institute while Robert Monroe was researching out of body experiences. He found positive results came from such brain entrainment methods.

I believe the author of this program is making exaggerated claims of what brain entrainment is capable of achieving. Anyone who has really experienced so-called astral travel, OBEs or for that matter, magic mushrooms will be dissapointed in the 'doses' in this program. The 'doses' will not produce those experiences which would be impossible with this technology alone.

As a woman, I am very well aware of the bogus health and beauty market. There are people claiming to be able to sell us face creams that are 'age defying' for example. Men are sold cream that allegedly regrows hair once they start going bald. It is all pseudo-scientific nonsense supported by bad science. This program is the same. It cannot possibly do a lot of what it claims. The word placebo comes to mind. And over suggestable personalities.

The author says we should approach using the software with the attitude that all the claims are fictitious. Never a truer word said. Most of it is fictitious. For those of you who disagree with me, may I offer you a bottle of Docter Sarah's amazing Cure-All medicine. It will cure baldness, cancer, death, and anything else you may think of. What's more, you can use my Amazing Elixir medicine via your pocket pc. It is so amazing all you need is a picture of the bottle and you are cured. :) Pictures can be purchased via cheque.

Send your cheque or your credit card number and PIN to, RipOff Products, 2 Bogus Street, London. And you will get nothing in return.
Mar 20th, 2010, 1:48 am
Mar 21st, 2010, 9:06 am
Wondering if there is any way to turn off the screen and still continue running this program - just like you can do with any music app.
Currently, the audio stops playing the moment you lock the phone.
Apart from this problem of having to keep the screen on/ dimmed, the program works great on my HD2 and the images/ text show up properly.
I agree with the previous poster - this is snake oil! I use it mainly to mask surrounding noise. sort of a white noise generator.
have tried all those brain sync and hemi sync programs for years. always went to them with an open mind and hope that something decent will come out of the experience...
well, nothing happened. nada. maybe your mileage has been different. maybe these programs do work for some people. i don't know. in the meantime, i will continue hoping that even snake oil can sometimes deliver miracles! just like faith healing. believe strongly, and maybe the placebo can actually turn into a potent pill.
Mar 21st, 2010, 9:06 am
Mar 21st, 2010, 4:12 pm
Personally I do agree with you both to an extent, but I also believe that the human mind is something not fully understood by modern science so there could be something else at work here besides the placebo effect. Just take it in a positive light; after all it's all here for us free-of-charge :lol:

krumbs, I've decided not to implement the screen-off function but rather a "dim screen" function for compatibility reasons. However, there appears to be a nice side-effect (at least for the HD2). If you enable both the "Dim screen" and "Disable sleep" options and also set a timeout for the device to automatically lock (under "Settings → Lock") at say, 1 minute, the screen will turn off while the dose is playing.

The only catch is that you have to unlock the phone (just supply a simple 4-digit PIN) afterwords, and a 1-minute timeout isn't exactly conducive to heavy usage of the device so it becomes a trade-off at some point.
Mar 21st, 2010, 4:12 pm

Mar 21st, 2010, 6:16 pm
Lord Yuz wrote:Personally I do agree with you both to an extent, but I also believe that the human mind is something not fully understood by modern science so there could be something else at work here besides the placebo effect. Just take it in a positive light; after all it's all here for us free-of-charge :lol:

I think you are right, Lord Yuz. Some of these 'doses' do have a psychotropic type effect that does seem real and not placebo. After using this program I suspect this brain entrainment happens at times but not at others. For example, I find that if I am in a state of mind that is ready for sleep the low frequency calming 'doses' work pretty well. If I cannot get to sleep at all they don't help one bit. That's why I doubt the fact of auto-entrainment by sound alone.

Other 'doses' like Theta do not produce the state of mind that pre-sleep state gives me even though it is supposed to entrain that brain state. I just find it an annoying sound and I wonder if sometimes the brain rejects mind states it considers inappropriate.

So this program is still interesting and so thanks and respect to you Lord Yuz, for releasing it to us to experiment with for free. 8)

Sarah
Mar 21st, 2010, 6:16 pm