Anything that does not belong in the other categories
May 6th, 2010, 10:50 am
Sarah,

Will there be emergency updates for all the other files, I cant get any of the programs to recognise the data directories at all. I have tried editing the sd card file but it always closes and then when i look t it to re edit it, it has reverted to the original path "my storage"?
May 6th, 2010, 10:50 am
May 6th, 2010, 12:48 pm
gjjh25 wrote:Sarah,

Will there be emergency updates for all the other files, I cant get any of the programs to recognise the data directories at all. I have tried editing the sd card file but it always closes and then when i look t it to re edit it, it has reverted to the original path "my storage"?

Ah! I can answer this one. :lol:

This is happening because you have not deactivated the auto-detect mode. You must enter a 1 in the file manual_path.txt. (if you had done that then it might be a problem with my code but it worked when I tested it on my device.) I will recheck the code and if there IS a probem i will do as you say and reissue new versions of all the affected programs.

Can you please confirm that you are changing the dirty fix manual_path.txt file?

Sarah
May 6th, 2010, 12:48 pm
May 6th, 2010, 1:35 pm
Sarah,

yes i have just tried changing this mine was called manual_card.txt when i changed this is still get the message not data file found. When i change it to manual_path.txt i get the message tow cards found using 2 and then it crashes.

I get these messages for all your software. but i only have the manual_card file in the birds software it is not in any of the others.

Anything else i can do to get it to work?
May 6th, 2010, 1:35 pm
May 6th, 2010, 3:37 pm
gjjh25 wrote:Sarah,

yes i have just tried changing this mine was called manual_card.txt when i changed this is still get the message not data file found. When i change it to manual_path.txt i get the message tow cards found using 2 and then it crashes.

I get these messages for all your software. but i only have the manual_card file in the birds software it is not in any of the others.

Anything else i can do to get it to work?


PROBLEMS IN CODE OR INCOMPATIBILITY ERRORS?

You find you get these errors from all my software? That suggests to me that the problem is your device system. If it were bad code then surely everyone else would be reporting these problems? The software works just fine on my own pda.

That you find the program crashes on your device is an indication of a problem with your system. Is it fully compatible with the Windows Mobile and NET CF 2.0 or better system specifications for my software?

Please understand that I take reports of problems like yours very seriously because the code gets changed lots and it would be easy to introduce a problem that was not there before. This forum gives me first indications of such a situation. :)

But also I suspect that some of the devices people use are not fully compatible. I know HTC devices has modified firmware that gives gps problems. Then there is the multi-card system that is totally unpredictable. I try to make fixes for these incompatibilities (like the manual_path.txt fix that was introduced for someone's device that categorised its sd cards differently to the norm).

I have just re-tested Trees on my device. I renamed the path to my SD card to some rubbish path (I edited sdcard.txt) and then I set manual path setting (I changed the value in manual_path.txt to a 1) to force the program to use the rubbish path in sdcard.txt. Predictably the program said it could not find the sd card. So it is working perfectly on my PDA. My pda is a n oldish non-phone pocket PC and not a mobile phone with the WM extras attached so I feel it probably represents the standard for a Pocket PC rather than a PDA phone.

I sincerely wish I could help more but I believe your device is not 100% compatible with WM and .NET CF 2.0 or 3.5. There is no way the exe should crash. I believe there is a compatibility conflict between the .NETcf 2.0 libraries I use and your device's hardware drivers (firmware). If that is true then you may find an earlier version which doesn't use the problem Net library would work. It won't be something I can rollback though, as then it would stop working for lots of other people. :(

I have tried lots of games from ppcwarez site but less than 40% work on my device because of errors of all sorts. I guess most developers don't bother to get their programs working properly for everyone. They just write them and release them to whoever can make them work. I really don't wish to do that but some people's problems seem insoluble. I can only say that software will work on devices have to be 100% Windows Mobile compatible with .Net CF 2.0 or better. I can't say what would happen on mobile phones running Windows CE, for example.
May 6th, 2010, 3:37 pm
May 6th, 2010, 4:24 pm
tree wrote:I've just tried to de-install Pocket Birds and install it again. Both - left and right menus in the bottom bar doesn't work. I use manual_card(path).txt and sdcard.txt to set directory path of the data. Isn't it a matter of a problem with menu?

Sarah,
When trying Pocket Birds I received OutOfMemoryException message. I soft resetted the device (it already lead to success previously). And - :) - Pocket Trees soft menu started to work! So, there was a problem with memory that is not reported by .NET. and there were no problem in the code itself.

So, both Pocket Trees and Pocket Birds by itself have no problem with WVGA screen. And they have no problem now (from Pocket Trees v.2.2.3) with data directory path - it could be set as any in sdcard.txt.

Success ! Thank you, Sarah :)
May 6th, 2010, 4:24 pm
Last edited by tree on May 6th, 2010, 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May 6th, 2010, 4:39 pm
gjjh25 wrote:yes i have just tried changing this mine was called manual_card.txt when i changed this is still get the message not data file found. When i change it to manual_path.txt i get the message tow cards found using 2 and then it crashes.
I get these messages for all your software. but i only have the manual_card file in the birds software it is not in any of the others.

Pocket Birds have manual_card.txt and Pocket Trees have manual_Path.txt.
Both of them should have the only symbol - 1 (there is 0 after installation).

sdcard.txt is a UTF-8 file. You should not delete the first three symbols. But after them something like
Storage Card\Miscellaneuos\AviaSoft
should be written.

In this case AviaSoft (inside Miscellaneuos, which - in its turn is root directory of Storage Card) is a directory containing directories TREEdata and PBEdata with programs data.

If TREEdata or PBEdata are in the root directory then instead of
Storage Card\Miscellaneuos\AviaSoft
you should have only
Storage Card

If you will use Pocket Word for editing sdcard.txt then you will lose the first three symbols from initial file after savinf the file. It doesn't important for path name from English letters. But could be important if you use other alphabet.

You should know precise name of storage card in your device (it could be also SD-MMC or something else).

This scheme works for me.
May 6th, 2010, 4:39 pm
May 6th, 2010, 6:09 pm
Sarah,

All the old versions of your software work fine. It is just these updates for some reason.

Tree,

I tried editing the sdcard file, i didnt touch the first three characters, just changed the path to /storage card/, which is what it is called in my rescoe explorer, but it still says dat file missing?
May 6th, 2010, 6:09 pm
May 6th, 2010, 6:18 pm
gjjh25 wrote:I tried editing the sdcard file, i didnt touch the first three characters, just changed the path to /storage card/, which is what it is called in my rescoe explorer, but it still says dat file missing?


Try
Storage Card
and not
/storage card/
(no slashes)
May 6th, 2010, 6:18 pm
May 6th, 2010, 6:34 pm
tree wrote:
gjjh25 wrote:I tried editing the sdcard file, i didnt touch the first three characters, just changed the path to /storage card/, which is what it is called in my rescoe explorer, but it still says dat file missing?


Try
Storage Card
and not
/storage card/
(no slashes)


Exactly. The card is called the name between the slashes. I add those later. Just put the name in and don't worry about formatting it. In early versions I expected people to add the divider slashes. It caused lots of confusion so I now add them myself when creating the full path-name.
May 6th, 2010, 6:34 pm
May 6th, 2010, 6:38 pm
Sarah & Tree,

Thank you very much that has done it, for the Birds program at least.

Still having problems with all the other programs though?
May 6th, 2010, 6:38 pm
May 6th, 2010, 10:41 pm
gjjh25 wrote:Sarah & Tree,

Thank you very much that has done it, for the Birds program at least.

Still having problems with all the other programs though?

There is nothing wrong with them. I suggest you try to reinstall them and follow the instructions carefully? They should work. :)
May 6th, 2010, 10:41 pm
May 7th, 2010, 10:17 am
Sarah,

ok I tried with fungi for example, it installed ok, I checked the sdcard file it said Storage Card, which is correct. on opening i get the following messages

data folder missing, check storage card (it isnt missing)
file error: 'index0.txt'

if i then got to check the sdcard file, it has changed to my storage?
May 7th, 2010, 10:17 am
May 7th, 2010, 12:21 pm
gjjh25 wrote:Sarah,
ok I tried with fungi for example
if i then got to check the sdcard file, it has changed to my storage?


You shouldn't try all the rest programs - until Sarah will find a time and possibility to incorporate into them the same code that Pocket Birds and Pocket Trees have already received.
May 7th, 2010, 12:21 pm
May 7th, 2010, 2:10 pm
gjjh25 wrote:Sarah,

ok I tried with fungi for example, it installed ok, I checked the sdcard file it said Storage Card, which is correct. on opening i get the following messages

data folder missing, check storage card (it isnt missing)
file error: 'index0.txt'

if i then got to check the sdcard file, it has changed to my storage?

I am changing all the programs now. But have you checked that you actually have got an 'index0.txt' file in your treesdata/lists/ folder?
May 7th, 2010, 2:10 pm
May 8th, 2010, 4:20 pm
Sarah,

yes i have an index0.txt file.
May 8th, 2010, 4:20 pm