The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Dec 8th, 2012, 9:40 am

Title: Fathom - Kiani (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Vince Hernandez (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Kevin Hellions (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" As always, I am astounded by the world built within these pages."

Review: Fathom - Kiani Vol. 2 #1
    Fun story from your friend Kevin. Years ago I would be watching a wrestling pay per view or Monday Night Raw and the show would be great. In fact, it would be so much fun I wouldn’t want it to end. So I would take a VHS tape (yeah, that’s how long ago this was) and put it in front of the time on the cable box. That way I wouldn’t know how much time was remaining in the show. If a match started at 1055 and the show was done at 11, then I’m going to get a shitty 5 minute match. It could be a great 5 minutes, but I would go in with a negative attitude. All of this is lead up to say, I am beyond happy that I forgot this was the last issue of this stage of Kiani’s story.

Had I thought of that, I would be anticipating certain things “had” to happen in this issue. However, I went in without the feeling that things have to wrap up and that extended my joy of this issue. I realize that the exact thing that helped me to love this issue is also being ruined by me telling you all about it. But please, put that VHS tape in front of the last page and enjoy it in the way I did.

Things get pretty nasty in this final issue too. Kiani is forever changed, and that’s saying a lot when she’s already conquered death. Her powers and the strength they give her elevate Kiani to that level of strength which is almost immeasurable Forget your green or red or the rot. The Blue is where the power lies.

Killian leaps off the page and into my nightmares. Sure, his actions have reasons. Sometimes he may be good and harmless. The potential of what lies just beneath is enough to cause the world to be on guard. He’s like a cat playing with a nuclear bomb.

As always, I am astounded by the world built within these pages. Kiani is always so fluid. Even in standing, she is dynamic. The genius little touches, like body armor which looks like coral, help flesh out this undersea society. I don’t know how Oliver continues to surprise me, but he does. There is a scene of destruction with the silhouette of Kiani that should be permanently displayed on either a museum wall, or my own. All of this is helped by John discovering new shades of blue with every page.

There is a scene at the end which echoes one from the beginning and its stronger every time I read it. Its just one panel, but the two versions of it resonate beyond this final page and into the next series. It all comes together beautifully with Josh’s well placed and well timed “crack!”.

Vince has built up Kiani to a place beyond good or evil. That would be like saying water itself is good or evil. It can be either, but at all times it must be respected.

More info:
    Written by Vince Hernandez
    Art & colors by Oliver Nome and John Starr

Publisher:

Dec 8th, 2012, 9:40 am
Dec 8th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Title: Wolverine MAX (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Jason Starr (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Eblison Grun (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I really don't like talking down a book this much..."

Review:
    Wolverine, Logan, James Howlett- whatever you want to call him, he's the best there is at what he does. This October, what he's doing is breaking into his own MAX title. MAX is Marvel's “Explicit Content” imprint and it was made for edgy violent characters like Wolverine. Let's face it, his super power is to heal any wound, but why have that mutant ability unless you're going to compliment it with a fist full of claws and a boot full of butt kicking action? He's been slicing and dicing his way through comics since Incredible Hulk #181 back in 1974, and finally he's allowed to do it right in his own book.
    At least that's what I'd hoped. In this issue, writer, Jason Starr throws the “F” word into some painfully forced monologuing as well as a panel with a tiny image of Wolverine having sex, and totally misses the point of writing this character into a MAX book. With the comics code a thing of the past, mainstream comics are edgier, darker, and go places they wouldn't have dared twenty years ago, so he wastes the character's potential by writing just another mainstream story. Starr also falls back on that old Wolverine default of amnesia. When the X-Man's plane crashes near Tokyo and he's the only surviving passenger, he emerges from the ocean clueless as to who he is. Notice the sarcasm when I say, “We've never seen that before.” Diehard Wolvie fans are going to burst when they see what Starr is doing to their mutant. In the scene where Wolverine fights a shark and swims to shore, we see that he's had his legs severed in the crash. He grows them back by the time the ambulance rushes him to the hospital.

Why is this a big deal? Everyone knows that along with claws and a super mutant healing factor, Wolverine has an adamantium laced skeleton, and everyone knows that adamantium is unbreakable. Everyone except Jason Starr. There's also the standard flashback sequence we've seen a million times. Even though he has amnesia, Wolverine contemplates his brutal past and the wake of death and destruction he's left behind. I hope I'm not making the story out to be more interesting than it actually is. After all, he's supposed to have amnesia.
    Unfortunately, the art in this book isn't any better. Roland Boschi's main story artwork feels inconsistent. It takes me back to Wolverine art from the early 90's but after a page or two, Wolverine almost looks like a totally different person. Connor Willumsen's flashback art tanks even more than that. His style does no justice to this character or any other and is actually the most offensive thing about Wolverine MAX #1.
    I really don't like talking down a book this much, especially when it's a character I love in a book I've been anticipating, but I honestly can't find anything I like when there's so many things that turn my stomach. I'll keep my hopes up for the next writer/artist team to come on to this title, until then, I urge Mr. Starr and company to read some comics. Maybe they'll learn something.

More info:
    Writer(s): Jason Starr, Roland Boschi
    Art: Connor Willumsen

Publisher:

Dec 8th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Dec 9th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Title: GOTHAM CENTRAL: IN THE LINE OF DUTY (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: adrianroberts1986 (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I enjoyed this book so much that I have already reserved Book 2 from the library"

Review: Gotham Central Book One: In The Line Of Duty
    I recently picked up Gotham Central Book 1: In The Line Of Duty from my local library and I thought that as I enjoyed it so much I would put a review of it up on here.

I had never heard of this series before and the only reason why I considered picking it up in the first place was due to the Gotham city reference. I have to say I was in no way disappointed by this books lack of attention on Batman himself, which is odd because I thought I would. Instead I discovered that the lives of the Gotham Central Police Department was just as enthralling and interesting as anything that Batman would be up to. I really liked the idea of a series that gives a view of Gotham that is different from the default view of Batman and this book certainly did not disappoint in that regard. My favourite story from this ten issue trade paperback is probably the very first one, where two cops stumble upon Mr Freeze and one of them gets killed. I think that this story really highlighted just how difficult it is for regular people such as the police to confront these super villains, especially when these bad guys are finally taken out so easily by Batman.

The villains were quite entertaining to read about, my favourite most probably being Two Face; this is because he turns out to be quite pathetic. He goes to such great lengths just to announce his love for Detective Renee Montoya, practically destroying her entire life just so that she would have nothing to leave him for, and then for her to (rightly) flat out reject him made me feel actually a bit sorry for him.

The art within this book works fine for the subject matter. However it never amazed me like some of the new issues I have read from DC’s ‘New 52’. I particularly didn’t really like the depiction of Batman, but this is mainly because I am currently following Daniels’s Detective Comics and love the artwork within that series, especially how Batman looks.

I enjoyed this book so much that I have already reserved Book 2 from the library. I will most probably be reviewing that soon.

More info:
    Written by: Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka
    Pencilled by: Michael Lark
    Inked by: Michael Lark
    Cover Color by: Michael Lark
    Noelle GiddingsMatthew Hollingsworth
    Lettered by: Willie Schubert

Publisher:

Dec 9th, 2012, 7:56 pm
Dec 10th, 2012, 11:42 am

Title: GOTHAM CENTRAL: MOTIVE (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: DavidBedford (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I'd recommend it to anyone who likes crime stories or good drama."

Review:
    Imagine the cops of NYPD Blue, or whatever your favourite cop show is. The Major Crimes Unit investigate all manner of kidnappings, murders, rapes and robberies, but now imagine they're in Gotham City. Here they have an additional problem. At any time, they could run into Mr Freeze, or Two-Face, or - God forbid - the Joker. Or they might do all the leg-work on a case, only to find that Batman steals the spotlight. This is the world of Gotham Central, a precinct more dangerous than any other in America, and often less rewarding for its officers.
    The series focuses on the detectives of the Major Crimes Unit, some of whom have been in Batman comics for a number of years, and some of whom were invented specially for Gotham Central. The stories alternate between two shifts in the unit, and feature a mix of 'ordinary' crimes and those committed by the 'freaks', Gotham's colourful and deadly costumed villains. Batman also turns up quite frequently, but rarely for more than a page or two at a time.

THE CREATIVE TEAM
      Gotham Central is written on a rotating basis by Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker, who take it in turns to tell a story, then team up every so often for a larger tale. Both have a history of writing Batman-related comics (Brubaker still writes Catwoman, while Rucka had a long run on Detective Comics which focussed on Batman and the police department) and have had success with other thriller and mystery stories, particularly Rucka who has had some success in the mainstream publishing world with a number of thrillers featuring bodyguard Atticus Kodiak. They both bring a solid grasp of mystery writing, and a clear love of Gotham City, to this series, creating a moody, pulpy style of story with real clues and proper motives for their criminals. It is this mix of genuine mystery - there are times when all the clues are given to the reader who could plausibly make the deduction - and character drama that drew me in to the series.

Michael Lark, who has provided the art for most issues of the series, is perfectly matched to the pulp/noir feel, and deserves applause for making each of the large cast of detectives different visually, even those who are there almost to make up the numbers. Considering that their are potentially twenty regular characters (though not all of them appear all that frequently), none of whom wear costumes, this is a significant achievement in itself. He also provides striking, often quite creepy, covers for the series.

THE CHARACTERS
      As I've already mentioned, the cast of Gotham Central is potentially huge, involving every police officer, detective and criminal in Gotham City (a nastier version of New York), but the series tends to focus on a smaller number of key characters. Some of my favourites:
      Stacy is a civilian who works for the police department, and really enjoys it, as long as she's not getting shot at by the Joker, of course. One of her key duties is to turn the Bat-signal on if the cops want to talk to the Dark Knight, as they aren't allowed to do so, for spurious legal reasons.

Michael Akins is the police commissioner, who took over when James Gordon retired a couple of years ago. He's a very down to earth guy, but doesn't appear in Gotham Central all that often.
      Renee Montoya is a character who was introduced in the Batman animated series and got written into the comics in the early 1990s. She's dedicated to the job, but she recently had a big secret revealed to the rest of the squad, which made things very awkward for a time. Oh, and Two-Face loves her... Her partner on the force is Crispus Allen, who used to live and work in Metropolis.

Josie MacDonald is the one super-powered character, and then only in a mild way. She has some sort of psychic powers which help her find things that are lost, which came in very handy when she joined the Unit and the other detectives kept hiding her coffee mug! None of the others know about her abilitiy, but it can't be too long before someone finds out.
      Marcus Driver is the most likely person to find out, as he's Josie's detecting partner. His previous partner was frozen to death by Mister Freeze, and he's not too keen on Batman, despite the help that he offers to the police.

Maggie Sawyer is the first shift commander, who used to head up the 'Special Crimes Unit' in Metropolis, where she knew a certain Man of Steel quite well. Her partner still lives in Metropolis, and she finds her absence difficult.
      Ron Probson heads up the second shift as the series begins and has an antagonistic relationship with Maggie Sawyer. In issue 16 of the series, Probson (known to many of the others as 'the probe') had a fateful encounter with the Joker, but I won't spoil the outcome of that...

THE STORIES
      Issues 1-2, 'Line of Duty'. Mister Freeze kills a cop and the rest of the major cimes unit must track him down before he commits a much more high-profile crime. These two issues do an inctredibly good job of introducing the characters and set-up.

Issues 3-5, 'Motive'. An arsonist is on the loose, and a kidnapped girl has been found dead. Are these cases connected, and will the romantic tensions in the squad cause difficulties? This is the purest mystery so far in the series and also sets up a romantic triangle which will continue to be important as things go on.

Issues 6-10, 'Half a Life'. This story which has won several awards, focusses on Renee Montoya and Two-Face, who decides he wants her all to himself, and hence makes her life hell. He reveals one of her deepest secrets to her colleagues and her family, causes her to be framed for crimes and then kidnaps her. Who will come to the rescue?

Issue 11 is a single issue story all about Stacy, and is a masterpiece of a character study. Absolutely sublime.
      Issues 12-16, 'Soft Targets'. There's a sniper on the loose, killing public figures and telling the press all about it. As if that wouldn't be awful enough, the sniper is the Joker. A gripping story, which results in several major blows to the characters.

Issues 17-19, 'Life is Full of Disappointments'. Three linked stories which showcase some of the minor characters as a couple of murders are investigated.
      Perhaps the weakest in terms of mystery, this story makes up for it with insights into the detectives.
      Issues 20-date, 'Unresolved'. The detectives come up against the Mad Hatter and an unresolved bombing. Plus, they have to work with a disgraced former member of the department. Intriguing stuff.

SUMMARY
      This is crime drama, but with a twist. In a world where super-villains lurk in the shadows, and the cops are on the firing line with no guarantee that Batman will swoop in and save the day (even if they want him to), tensions are likely to be higher than they otherwise would be. Within the first year and a half of the series, the major crimes unit sees two of its own killed, one investigated by internal affairs, one injured and one passed over for promotion. The writers and artist take such care in crafting these characters, that I can't help feeling personally involved in their lives. Even the minor characters, like Tommy Burke with his gambling addiction, widowed medical examiner Nora Fields or Trey Hartley, much mocked for his public school education.

A collection of the first five issues has been published, called 'In the Line of Duty', and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes crime stories or good drama. There's a helping of spandex and super-powers, but it's so much more than that. Just read it - you won't regret it!

More info:
      Written by: Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka
      Pencilled by: Michael Lark
      Inked by: Michael Lark
      Cover Color by: Michael Lark
      Noelle GiddingsMatthew Hollingsworth
      Lettered by: Willie Schubert

Publisher:

Dec 10th, 2012, 11:42 am
Dec 10th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Title: First Born (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Ron Marz (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Faith J. Cormier] (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" First Born is fascinating, and not just as eye candy."

Review:
    First Born brings together Issues 1, 2 and 3 of the First Born graphic novels with issues 110, 111 and 112 of Witchblade. It also contains an introduction by Christos N. Gage, a few pages to set the scene and some glorious extra artwork in a cover gallery and a Stjepan Sejic sketchbook. Taken together, they tell the birth of the child of Sara Pezzini, New York City police officer and Bearer of the Witchblade.

Of course this isn't just a fuzzy story of teddy bears and layettes. The Witchblade is the male essence of the balance between light and darkness, and its bearer does indeed bear it more than wield it. (Can you say "IN-CU-BUS", Baby Pezzini?) Sara Pezzini's child will naturally be a key player in this age-old Gnostic/Manichean battle. To protect the baby, Sara has given up the Witchblade, but it hasn't given her up.

As if this wasn't enough, you have the personifications of the Angelus and the Darkness, the Magdalena and her spear of destiny, the guy who's in love with Sara, some monsters and demons and all the mortal enemies any good police officer is likely to make over her career, especially in a place like New York City.

Not a perfect time to have a baby, of course, but there probably never is a perfect time, and when a child decides to be born there isn't much you can do about it. (Yes, I know there are a few things, but they're all pretty drastic. So, of course, are monsters and battles between the primal forces of the universe.)

Is this just another good/evil, light/dark story? In some ways, yes. We've got lots of clichés. The fatherless miracle child (Sara hasn't done anything that normally leads to conception for over a year when she finds herself pregnant). The impossibly radiant angels of light and impossibly evil servants of darkness. The clueless boyfriend who has to be protected from knowing what's up. The mysterious servant of the Roman Catholic Church, a female descendent of Christ no less. Above all, we have the ridiculous armor that doesn't seem like it would protect any part of the body, except perhaps the nipples and vulva, and looks pretty uncomfortable to boot. (Metal spines digging into delicate bits of the anatomy, anyone? Though I must congratulate Stjepan Sejic in that his male members of the Angelus' army aren't any more clad than the Bearer -- less so, as there is nothing on their chests.)

What makes First Born special, then? The artwork, for starters. The outfits may be uncomfortable, or just plain silly, and the anatomy rather fantastic, but oh, is it all gorgeous! Sejic gets billing on the cover, but we also get to see work by Luke Ross, Kevin Nowlan, Nathan Fairbairn, Stephen Sadowski, Rick Leonardi and Dave McCaig, and they're all spectacular. Kinky, too.

That's the rub, I believe. If I think about any of this stuff, it's way too kinky for my tastes. If you don't think about any of it, if you let the story ebb and flow around you while you devour the pictures, it's heady stuff.

As for the clichés, they're clichés to me because at my age because I've seen a zillion incarnations of them, but they're not for the target demographic. So if you're a member of that group, and you've read this far, go for it! First Born is fascinating, and not just as eye candy. And after all, there are only so many basic plots in the universe anyway, right?

There's a Web forum on Ron Marz' work here. Witchblade has had many incarnations, including manga and television, and Wikipedia is a reasonable place to start if you're looking for an overview of them.

More info:
    Written by Ron Marz

Publisher:

Dec 10th, 2012, 4:38 pm
Dec 11th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Title: Case Files: Sam & Twitch (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Marc Andreyko (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Dave Baxter (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" An honestly polished piece of work, with superb scripting and intricate visuals."

Review: Case Files: Sam and Twitch #23
    Sam and Twitch are the most likeable creations to spin out of Spawn’s long and turbulent comic book history; but does their solo series still retain its allure?

A somewhat sordid publishing history has plagued dear Sam and Twitch for as long as the two grizzled sleuths have been practicing privately. They’ve always remained a recurring duo within the pages of their father comic, Spawn, but as soon as they tossed their badges into the gutter and formed their own P.I. business, McFarlane Productions has attempted to tell the stark, noir-inspired adventures of Sam – the overbearing, overlarge boar with a heart of gold – and Twitch, the lanky, cerebral family man; father to a now dead son and husband to a consequently estranged wife. The original series floundered when McFarlane himself attempted to write a seven part saga and fell literally years behind schedule (trumped only by Kevin Smith for sheer record lateness). In its place, and while fans waited for the wrap up to Todd’s tale, Case Files was born and bore a first story arc written by none other than Brian Michael Bendis. Unfortunately, due to his sudden surge of popularity at Marvel, Bendis bowed out after the first six issues and his sometimes co-writer Marc Andreyko (Torso, Manhunter) took the reigns. For the past few years, Case Files has proceeded with a haphazard release schedule, multiple artistic changes, and little to no media or fan fanfare. So where is it now?

The current story, Fathers and Daughters, is structured around a cause célèbre mystery – the homicide of fictional teen idol Lacey Lyons. A suspect, Sylvester, has recently confessed to the murder, and this fourth chapter of the six-part serial primarily concerns itself with his interrogation and Sam and Twitch’s parallel raid of Sylvester’s mother’s home, in whose basement the confessed lives (and where a rather disturbing homemade shrine is unveiled). Andreyko takes a lot of cues from Bendis’ style of static talking-heads storytelling mixed with glacially paced, tension-building moments of event (there’s always, every other issue, one nearly issue-long doing that culminates with one, single a-ha! of plot progression). This may have been a large part of Andreyko’s own crime chronicling flair pre-Bendis (though his Manhunter shows none of this, and is a far stronger, character driven comic), and if so there’s still little else that feels un-Bendis-like to say otherwise. If you’ve enjoyed Alias, or Powers, or Daredevil, then this is a lot more of the same – even the dialogue is phrased as Bendis would phrase it, though I will concede to Andreyko’s blessed lack of the worst of BMB: half-hearted, stuttering, Mamet-esque filler. Also, as with anything written in this currently trendy style, each chapter is a blisteringly quick read. Well told, but with very little actual event; and this is after readers have waited more than two months for the issue!

The art by Greg Scott (highlighted by multiple levels of grey with tone shading by Jay Fotos) is serviceable black and white bleakness. The look is nearly photorealistic, though accented with denser, heavier, blacker lines; each panel is like a Polaroid negative etched over in charcoal and ink. The surprisingly thrilling aspect of this is that the characters take on a very life-like appearance while still maintaining a sufficiently ominous, foreboding atmosphere. In fact, Sam and Twitch, the good detectives themselves, are given the treatment to the point where they appear to be based on a couple of Hollywood regulars: Sam the spitting image of John Goodman while Twitch suggests the downtrodden perseverance of William H. Macy. Without even dwelling upon the fact I closed this latest issue dying to see the cinematic adaptation!

Case Files: Sam & Twitch is far from a sub-par product – it’s professionally done, and an honestly polished piece of work, with superb scripting and intricate visuals. Still, the specifics brought to this latest tale seem redundant, as if a spectacularly well-done piece of fan homage to an already long-ago established method (one whose chic rating is as we speak hitting its saturation-point crescendo). When considered with the unpredictability of the book’s release schedule (there’s still no date announced for part 5 – issue #24), I can’t say that this book really is worth the money or patience due to enjoy it. I’d love for the concept to be released annually in graphic novel format, with an entire case complete with each release, but as an erratically published serial series, it isn’t quite as enjoyable as it should be.

More info:
    Words: Marc Andreyko
    Art: Greg Scott
    Inks: Jay Fotos

Publisher:

Dec 11th, 2012, 1:38 pm
Dec 11th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Title: 2 Sisters (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Matt Kindt (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Hilary Goldstein (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" There's love, loss, betrayals and buried secrets - every ingredient needed to cook up a memorable tale."

Review:

It's not often that a book can leave me awed. Yet after reading 2 Sisters I find myself overcome with its charm and sense of adventure. Matt Kindt's 2 Sisters is an incredible World War II tale of European spies, swashbuckling pirates, cyanide-laced molars, menacing Nazis and manned rockets. There's love, loss, betrayals and buried secrets - every ingredient needed to cook up a memorable tale.

2 Sisters intertwines four stories into one massive book. While the tale of two sisters, each with their own dark secrets, is the primary focus, there is also the story of an ancient Roman artifact and its path across half the world. This artifact, which begins its travels centuries ago, touches on the story of a woman turned pirate. Though each journey often seem disparate from one another, all four intermingle and the star of each has one thing in common. Each woman - and the artifact - are stranded at some point, both emotionally and physically. Though this is a spy story, deep down it's a tale of the isolation brought on by our darkest secrets.

The brunt of 2 Sisters follows Elle, a seemingly innocent nurse who becomes a spy against the Nazis in WWII. As the German's prepare to launch manned rockets that could well turn the tide of the war, Elle carries out assassination missions with cold precision. Meanwhile, flashbacks show the journey of Elle's sister, who is bruised by tragedy. We also follow the sorrowful tale from centuries ago of a woman who's ship is overtaken by pirates. To save herself, she assumes the guise of a pirate and lives among her aggressors, all the while becoming further alienated. The treasure, which is never a real focus of the story, is shown as a mysterious wonder that is sought by many but inevitably left hidden and alone.

The emotional depth of 2 Sisters never gets in the way of the action. Kindt avoids almost any exposition and offers only the scantest dialogue. Despite a lack of words, the graphic narrative is compelling and provides the emotional weight needed to anchor the fanciful nature of a super-spy story.

The plot itself is not particularly ingenious and there are elements that seem almost too disconnected to belong in the same story, but 2 Sisters is never-the-less a compelling and fascinating look at isolation. The mixture of high-octane action, spy hijinks and emotional drama create a unique and altogether phenomenal book.

Few artists are able to aptly tell a story with their art. Many must rely on captions and dialogue to, at the very least, add emotional gravity to a work. If 2 Sisters were to lose the few lines of text it holds in its 330 pages, the story would still resonate deeply.

More info:
    Written and Drawn by: Matt Kindt
    Publisher: Top Shelf
    Genre: Action

Publisher:

Dec 11th, 2012, 6:18 pm
Dec 16th, 2012, 10:06 am

Title: Ghost (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Kelly Sue DeConnick (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Nightfly (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

"Smartly-paced, well-drawn murder mystery..."

Review: Ghost #0
    Have you or your family ever seen a spook, spectre or ghost? Well put down your phone because this lovely lady won't slime you but she may just rip out your heart. Meet 'Resurrection Mary,' a supernatural beauty who's not only translucent and deadly, but, rumor has it that she comes from another world.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm an easy mark for any comic with a temptress on its cover and not for stereotypical reasons but because I admire the female form and enjoy stories about brave, strong women. Without any foreknowledge going in, I was drawn to Ghost #0 based solely on its cover and title. I was surprised to discover the depths of its girl power, as it's written by a woman and the cover that enticed me was drawn by a female as well. Who says women aren't into comics?

Personally, I'm not about spoilers and I don't dig lengthy recaps either. I can, however, reveal that this mystery woman is more intriguing than you might expect. And the shoddy pair of ghost hunters who unwittingly summon her get taken on one helluva wild ride.

If you enjoy enigmatic tales that leave you wanting more then Ghost #0 from Dark Horse Comics is a book you should definitely check out. This smartly-paced, well-drawn murder mystery is the collected compilation of three serialized Ghost entries originally appearing in Dark Horse Presents issues #13-#15. Issue #0 also serves as the audacious lead-in to "In the Smoke and Din," the upcoming four-part miniseries in which the rest of Ghost's story will be told.

Join former journalist Vaughn Barnes and intrepid Phantom Finder Tommy Byers in Ghost #0 as they get more than they bargained for when a curious device launches them into Resurrection Mary's haunted path. Pick up your copy now and make sure to grab "In the Smoke and Din" when it hits your LCS' shelf or from the Dark Horse Digital Comics Store. I know I'm looking forward to it.

More info:
    Story: Kelly Sue DeConnick
    Art: Phil Noto
    Letterer(s): Richard Starkings & ComicCraft
    Cover Art: Jenny Frison

Publisher:

Dec 16th, 2012, 10:06 am
Dec 16th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Title: Swerve (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Jon Judy (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Eric (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Swerve is a great read, it would be a fantastic Christmas present for any fan of a good story!"

Review:
    San Antonio, 1976: Eric Layton, desperate for cash, left college behind to dive into the world of pro-wrestling. From there, it was an easy slide into the underbelly of the “rasslin’” biz, where the box office and concession stand make for an easy way to launder drug money. Eric wanted out, but he had seen and done too much. They would never let him walk away, so he went into business for himself, hoping to make enough quick cash to sneak away and buy a new identity. When Eric is pinched by the police and forced to flip on his boys, he is stuck between the cops and the crooks – and the idea that he will escape with his life is looking less realistic than a pro-wrestling match.

When I sat down to read Swerve, I was a little hesitant to fully invest myself. I am not the biggest wrestling fan in the world and I thought the last thing I wanted to read was a wrestling-centric melodrama. My initial expectations couldn’t have been further from the awesomeness that is this original graphic novel from Arcana.

Swerve is much more of a crime drama set with the wrestling world of the 70’s as the landscape rather than a story centered on wrestling drama of days gone by. Author Jon Judy does an exceptional job of creating characters that, while being gray and lax in their morality and motives, are incredibly likeable and understandable that the reader isn’t hesitant to cheer on. In all honesty, while reading this 150 page plus story, I couldn’t help but imagine Mark Wahlberg as protagonist Eric Layton.

The readers are step by step with Eric as he pursues his dreams enthusiastically but then ends up stumbling and spiraling behind the curtain. He confuses his needs, wants and dreams with what is put before him. With the offer of fame, Eric ends up getting beguiled into a dark world of drugs and money laundering. He continues getting deeper and deeper, enjoying the ride the entire time – until he realizes there is no way out. On many levels, the story fleshes out the theme of “no honor among thieves”; there are many plot twists and double crosses (or “swerves”) that keeps the story high interest. The writing impressed me and I can’t wait to see what else John Judy has up his sleeve.

Artist Dexter Wee does an equally amazing job creating a realistic and gritty framework for the story to play out. Wee shows he has excellent skills across the board, the visuals in Swerve highlight landscape backdrops, fisticuff action sequences, close-up dramatic emotion and everything in between!

This combination of John Judy’s writing and Dexter Wee’s art is a powerful one and should not be missed!

Grade: A

The Bottom Line: Swerve is a great read, it would be a fantastic Christmas present for any fan of a good story!

More info:
    Writer: Jon Judy
    Artist: Dexter Wee
    Letterer: Jace Tschudi
    Editor: Amanda Hendrix

Publisher:

Dec 16th, 2012, 6:42 pm
Dec 17th, 2012, 9:44 am

Title: The Secret (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Mike Richardson (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Martijn Form (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I can't find anything negative to say about this mini series."

Review: THE Secret #4
    I wish when I read this book I was wearing diapers, because I almost had an accident.

This will be a movie someday. No question about it. But before Hollywood messes up this story, do yourself a favour and buy these four issues. Or if you are lazy buy the trade paperback when it is released.

Jason Shawn Alexander is one of my favourite new artists. The man has got soul, and he pours it right into his art. His watercolors don't need any digital touch up. His mixture of colors makes this a very eerie read. The black inks creep up your spine. It make you sweaty and restless, while the climax grows with every page.

I haven't had so much fun reading horror in awhile. Tommy's discovery in the cellar makes Hostel seem like a kid's movie. Can sequential art be any more violent and dark than this? You show me. Although the art is sinister, Alexander makes these characters come to life (or death).

This guy in the raincoat always wearing a hood, can easily be the new Jason Voorhees or Michael Myers. He is twisted, dark and you have no clue who this monster of a man is.

Mike Richardson plotted this series very well with an outstanding climax of a story that leaves you gasping for air.

I can't find anything negative to say about this mini series. I have to hype this; there is no other way. Well, maybe if I can write one criticism: the series was too short! And since Dark Horse Comics mostly released on schedule, this series was over in four months. If Dark Horse collects this series into a nice trade full of extras, I will buy it a second time.

I'll conclude with this; as soon as you can, schedule a party at your home. At the right time, dim the lights, present The Secret and creep out all your guests! then go to the bathroom and call one of your guests and whisper:

"I know your Secret!"

More info:
    Writer: Mike Richardson
    Artist: Jason Shawn Alexander

Publisher:

Dec 17th, 2012, 9:44 am
Dec 20th, 2012, 11:50 am

Title: Warcraft – The Sunwell Trilogy (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Richard A. Knaak (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: David "Xerin" Piner (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I’d suggest picking up this series only if you really like comics and you’re into the game lore."

Review:
    Warcraft: The Sunwell Trilogy is three volumes of manhwa (Korean for “comic”, think manga or comic) published by TokyoPop, written by Richard Knaak, and illustrated by Jae-Hwan Kim. The three volumes were released a year apart starting from March 8, 2005 and finishing in March 13, 2007. They were named (in order): Dragon Hunt, Shadows of Ice, and Ghostlands. You can get them either from the Blizzard store, TokyoPop, or pretty much any book store that has a manga selection (although they may or may not carry it call ahead). They retail for $9.99 USD a volume.

The story of the three comics revolves around a dragon (from the blue dragonflight) shot out of the sky named Kalec (by dragon hunters) who then meets with a mysterious girl named Anveena. They go on an epic adventure where they run into dragon hunters (led by a wacky dwarf), undead, the surviving rangers in Quel’thas, and a few characters from the series like Sylvanas Windrunner and Lor’themar Theron. All of this happens within the time period between Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne and World of Warcraft.

If you couldn’t tell by the description that the story was generic; let me just tell you it is. The characters are not around long enough to build any true depth so you can’t really get a feel for them and the story contains so many clichés that it almost hurts. For someone like me who reads a lot of written media the story seems so dull and lacking. There is plenty of action but most of the time it wasn’t exciting (until the last volume when Sylvanas and Lor’themar show up).

The main character is your generic hero with lots of mystical power. The girl is your average girl with a mysterious past and contains an unknown power that no one knows what it is. The evil guys are all extremely generic and don’t even really stand out. The undead often carry their “ssss” like Golem from Lord of the Rings but that is only really good for a chuckle (and I assume realism due to the lack of a working jaw). That’s about the only thing that stuck out for me (other than Lorthemar being kinda cool).

The series isn’t bad, it’s just mediocre. There isn’t anything terrible with the story that makes you want to throw it down and stop reading. There is however nothing really good to say about it. I don’t think there is a proper word for between good and bad so I assume you’d just say “meh”. Then again that could just be expecting the Blizzard polish in a licensed product made outside of the Blizzard team. I’m not so sure that’s the case (since many licensed products are very good).

I will say one thing in its favor. That’s the art is very good and very well detailed. The art style isn’t so much Warcraft as it is Castlevania though. Seriously, most of the good guys look like Belmonts while one of the evil guys looks very close to Dracula himself. That isn’t to say the art is bad, its just slightly different than what you expect (which is what most Korean art is). I liked the art a lot.

Overall I’d suggest picking up this series only if you really like comics and you’re into the game lore. Everything that carries the Warcraft license is considered part of the main story so you’ll be getting some good information on some characters. However, if you really don’t like comics and you aren’t interested in the lore then you may find your money better spent elsewhere. In a way I enjoyed all three volumes (the last one the most) but I wouldn’t exactly go out of my way to recommend them. If we had some fancy rating system I’d give it a “medium” score (as I said before between good and bad) of 2.5 out of 5 or 5 out of 10. Not noteworthy but decent.

More info:
    Written by Richard A. Knaak
    Illustrated by Kim Jae-Hwan

Publisher:

Dec 20th, 2012, 11:50 am
Dec 21st, 2012, 2:52 pm

Title: Duke Nukem Forever (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Tom Waltz (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: The Illusory Gentleman (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" If you are a Duke Nukem fan, this thing is for you,"

Review:
    "Another Hole in the Wall:" Duke Nukem, professional badass, has had a number of games over the last couple decades. However, for the last 15, his games have been in limbo, leading many to feel the chances for the character's return were out the window. Then, Tuesday, Duke Nukem Forever launched. This is the story of what Duke's been up to in since we last saw him.

Summary: We open up to Duke heading for a dive bar in Roswell, New Mexico that specializing in the three B's: Beer, Babes, and Boobs. Taking a seat near the stage at the joint, Duke orders a beer and sits back for the show. The majority of the comic takes place with the waitress, bartender, and a patron at the bar, as they trade ideas on if that really is Duke, and where he has been for the last 14 years. The waitress once heard this story from one of her friends that spent some time with him a few years back in Hawaii. We then cut to the beach where Duke is being fawned over by numerous women when the SMART (Synthetic Mutated Attack Robot Terrorist) Sharks appear. Cue some wonderful new and classic Duke lines, followed by gratuitous violence. After all the sharks have been killed, a luau happens and we are led to believe all of these women then went to Duke's for "bedroom limbo." The bartender still doesn't believe that Duke even exists, so the patron tells his story. Duke is at the White House, being honored for saving the world again, when aliens attack (surprise). Once again, we get the cheesy Duke dialogue mixed with hardcore violence. Then Duke apparently has an orgy in the Lincoln bedroom (What's this guy's appeal, again?). The bartender still doesn't believe any of this stuff, when two pig creatures emerge from a portal, wanting to take all the women. Three guesses what happens next. After dispatching the beasts, Duke leaves the bar, without paying, and when the bartender asks for a tip, at least, Duke spurts out a line of dialogue, straight out of Hemingway, Fitzgerald, or a Bronte sister: "Yeah, I gotta tip for ya, you fat moron... Always bet on Duke. Its time to show those damn, dirty aliens that what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas... stays dead." Simply brilliant. And in case you forgot where this story takes place, don't feel bad, so did the writer apparently.

High Points: If you are a Duke Nukem fan, this thing is for you, no question about it. The character feels just like his classic game counterpart. The art is actually nice as well, but nothing special.

Low Points: Not a fan? Odds are you will hate it for all the same reasons the person above loved it.

Verdict: B. I was harsh on this comic because I thought it was awful, corny, and way too violent, but that's exactly what Duke Nukem is. This is apparently a precursor to Duke's new comic series, so if you like this, be sure to check out Duke Nukem: Glorious Bastard Image .

More info:
    Writer: Tom Waltz
    Artist: Xermanico

Publisher:

Dec 21st, 2012, 2:52 pm
Dec 21st, 2012, 5:37 pm

Title: Masks and Mobsters (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Joshua Williamson (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Ryan K. Lindsay(Review 1 & 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" This is easily the best comic for quality/quantity/price available this week."

Review 1: Masks & Mobsters #1
    "Masks & Mobsters" #1 is the best title yet from the creatively electric Monkeybrain Inc. This book from Joshua Williamson and Mike Henderson presents a noir styled mob crime world rife with super powered heroes who don masks and capes, clashing spectacularly with their cultural opposites. What results is a book with a very specific mash up tone and a broad spectrum of opportunities to play these tropes against each other. The cover bills this title as a crime anthology, making this opening issue read like a brilliant short story.

Williamson and Henderson populate most of these pages with mobsters and only let the masks appear sparingly, grounding the book for a crime story and world with just a soupcon of the incredible -- which comes in the form of Doctor Daylight. Were these larger-than-life characters played at full bombastic contrast, the book would split itself in half. Instead, these creatures of the impossible are woven into the criminal world, creating an authentic feel for the book with the possibility of anything happening. Even Doctor Daylight's only giveaways are his staff and domino mask, everything else is congruent with the period and tone of the '50s.

The issue revolves around Bobby Silver, a hired gun and man with a grudge held too long. He becomes embroiled in some backstabbing affairs and the appearance of the masked hero doesn't clear up much of the grit. In only 14 pages, we come to know and like Bobby as a hard man. The story concludes for him, for now, and readers still have ample space to explore the rest of his life and his world.

Mike Henderson's gray tones are perfect for the book. He draws a poker game as deftly as he does a deathly bullet wound to the head. Henderson builds this world through deft costume design and character presentation, bringing relevant action to the table without having it dominate the book. The visuals elicit the feel of a quintessential crime comic on every page.

"Masks & Mobsters" #1 is a twist on a mash up we all thought we'd seen before. There has been crime in superhero comics, but Williamson and Henderson put a little cape in our crime comic. If the title continues to drop self-contained stories each month for $0.99, then it deserves to live a long and prosperous life. Considering there are 14 pages for the dollar, this is easily the best comic for quality/quantity/price available this week.

Review 2: Masks & Mobsters #4
    "Masks & Mobsters" #4 is far enough along to easily declare the best title from nascent digital publisher Monkeybrain Comics, as well as one of the year’s best from any publisher. Joshua Williamson truly analyzes what would happen were the worlds of moral superheroes and disgusting mobsters to ever cross. These criminals are easily as dastardly and effective as any over-the-top supervillain has ever been. Yet, there’s something very grounded about the ways in which these bad guys do their bad things.

The very first page from Jason Copland is a quick montage to establish a new character. Ignatio comes across like a sequential Scorsese character through his staccato images of past terrible deeds. With our new lead for this issue effortlessly established, Williamson and Copland waste no time moving forward and delving straight into the latest plot of the criminals to catch themselves a hero. This engineered meeting works brilliantly as a one-shot aspect within an anthology of tales but it also seamlessly brings together plot threads so more can be built upon these developments later. Williamson is really crafting a delicious set of blocks that build to make a majestic tower of narrative.

Jason Copland’s art fits this world extremely well. His character designs work just as well for three-piece suits as an attached cape. He packs plenty of action and leaves room for dialogue so each page gets to have its moments while still pushing the story forward. He allows the realism to always be present and thus the stakes remain high.

"Masks & Mobsters" #4 is what you’d get if someone gave Scorsese a shot at a superhero story. No character feels completely straight and if they are the world and its denizens bends them eventually. This issue is a fantastic dialogue around the price of corruptibility. Mobsters earn their place as superb villains because they know that every heart has some black and their talent is bringing it out to the fore. In "Masks & Mobsters" you get the wonder of the superheroes, the nasty from the mobsters, and the intellect from Williamson and Copland. Get into the ruckus and see what all the fuss is about.

More info:
    Story by Joshua Williamson
    Art by Jason Copland
    Cover by Mike Henderson

Publisher:

Dec 21st, 2012, 5:37 pm
Dec 22nd, 2012, 10:13 am

Title: Grimm Fairy Tales Sleepy Hollow (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Dan Wickline (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Andy Frisk (Review 1) and Harrison Rawdin (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" An exceptionally sturdy outing that gets just enough done to warrant a continuation. Recommended."

Review 1: Sleepy Hollow #1
    Craig Marsters is a student in a master's degree US History program at Tarrytown University in Tarrytown, New York. His roommate is a star of the university's basketball team and all around spoiled collegiate athlete, but Brian Aston, whom Marsters' roommate suggests Marsters as a tutor for, is worse. Aston wants to pay Marsters for the answers to his upcoming US History test, but Marsters is a stand up student and won't play ball. Aston is used to getting his way though and will go to extreme measures to get what he wants...even if it means threatening to behead Marsters... Meanwhile, Marsters' girlfriend is going through a bit of a relationship crisis, the kind that affects most college relationships, although there is something more than meets the eye going on with here.

Like most Zenescope Entertainment series that fall under the moniker of "Grimm Fairy Tales," Sleepy Hollow borrows elements from the original Washington Irving tale and reworks them with a much gorier and violent twist. Marsters' familiar relationship to a Revolutionary War soldier who was beheaded by the British in Tarrytown is a dead giveaway that the famous Headless Horseman of Irving's original Sleepy Hollow tale will make an appearance, but in the usual and delightfully twisted way that Zenescope and it's founder Raven Gregory are masters of.

Grimm Fairy Tales' Sleepy Hollow #1 is penciled by solid AC Osorio. His work is well proportioned and sufficiently gory enough to be a Grimm Fairy Tales tale, but his work lacks any real detail. Perhaps this is purposeful as the whole book looks sort of drenched in a dreamy haze most of the time.

A frightfully good first issue, arriving just in time for the most fun holiday of the year, Halloween, Grimm Fairy Tales' Sleepy Hollow is another solid offering from Zenescope Entertainment.

Review 2: Sleepy Hollow #2
    The legacy of the Headless Horseman is present and accounted for in the Grimm Fairy Tales universe, but should it be? Read on to find out.

The official description from Zenescope:

After the shocking ending of issue 1, the group responsible for a murder pledge to keep it a secret. But Sela has showed up on campus for a lecture on Tarrytown’s infamous “Headless Horseman” as she tells the real story behind the legend.

That night, a body returns to collect the heads of those responsible for taking his… The soul of the Headless Horseman has returned and vengeance is necessary!

What we have here is an extremely solid interpretation that plays it rather safe with its mainline story beats but that doesn’t mean this issue is a waste of your money or time. Overall it’s a competent release that delves deeper into a re-worked legend while continuing the birth of its immediate successor.

Dan Wickline delivers a very together script that continues to propel this narrative forward in a positive direction. The series writer allows this tale to yield some rather stereotypical responses but to be honest that’s not a bad thing. It creates a level of familiarity that might just work in its favor, even as it sells some rather campy scenes. In the end what we get here is a second outing that will keep fans more than satisfied but I hope that the next installment takes a bit more risk as this romp heads toward some interesting territory.

Alberto Cortes does a fine job on the art as his pencil strokes reveal a structured but somewhat chaotic interpretation of this haunted adventure. He uses thick line-work to illustrate the subtle layers and intricate details of Tarry Town while allowing a dark and brooding atmosphere to germinate and build. There are moments however where deformities create a rather jarring visual style that in all honesty turned out to be rather distracting.

Grimm Fairy Tales presents Sleepy Hollow #2 is an exceptionally sturdy outing that gets just enough done to warrant a continuation. Recommended.

More info:
    Written by: Dan Wickline
    Pencilled by : AC Osorio
    Inked by : AC Osorio
    Coloured by : Chandran Ponnusamy
    Letterered by : Jim Campbell
    Cover illustrated by: Stjepan Sejic

Publisher:

Dec 22nd, 2012, 10:13 am
Dec 25th, 2012, 10:40 am

Title: Fatale (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Ed Brubaker (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: KletusCasady (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Not sure how they always do it but I think Brubaker and Phillips have another hit on their hands."

Review: FATALE #1
    Michael Jordan & Scottie Pippen, ice cream & Cookies, Richard Pryor & Gene Wilder, porn & the internets, Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg, Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips…see where I’m going here? This duo does some amazing things when they work together. If you are unfamiliar with these two or are new to comics, having their names at the top of a comic is basically like having an Adidas symbol on the side of your soccer shoe or having a Technics logo on the side of your turntable…what I’m getting at here is that it means you are holding a quality product in your hands. I’ve never read SLEEPER (although I‘ve heard a lot of good things about it), but CRIMINAL & INCOGNITO are really good and as far as Brubaker goes, his stuff for Marvel for the most part (CAPTAIN AMERICA 1-60 is damn near perfect, his run on DAREDEVIL is quality as hell, and I hear IRON FIST was also pretty good) have been pretty entertaining and ‘must reads’ for me. This issue puts Ed Brubaker back in the driver’s seat of a vehicle that he’s driving better than pretty much anyone: hardboiled crime stories, and in this case, with a li’l twist of evil.

The preview of this comic was of a gangster interrogating someone, trying to get information about a woman; towards the end of the questioning the man remarks that the gangster doesn’t have any idea what he’s getting into, only to have the gangster turn around with a full on Cthulu for a head (one of the covers for this issue) and say, “Oh, I think I do…” or something like that…I was totally hooked. I knew I could trust Brubaker to do a story that is well written, really grounded (a realistic feel) yet have wild elements in it but still have it work really well together.

This issue starts (like many a great detective story) with a beautiful mysterious woman, a detective who falls for said woman, and then it takes us into the awesome occult stuff this book keeps hinting at. Brubaker’s protagonists are never really bad people (well, some of them) but they’re never really that great either; however, when you find yourself rooting for these people, it’s a testament to the great character work Brubaker does on these types of comics and this issue is no different. Our protagonist here is a detective whose father, who was an author, has recently passed away and meets a troublesome woman at the funeral and from there as you can imagine things get worse for him but better for the reader. I like Brubaker’s superhero stuff (and WINTER SOLDIER is going to be great) but I think he really shines on a comic like this because I feel this is where he’s most comfortable, and that isn’t to say comics such as this are the only time he’s good but he really kicks ass on crime related stories.

As far as the art goes, Sean Phillips is really so great at conveying a certain feeling or tone in his comics, that Brubaker’s words are just icing on the cake. His art is similar to Michael Lark, Butch Guice (WINTER SOLDIER), or Steve Epting (FANTASTIC FOUR) where there isn’t anything necessarily flashy about it but the art tells a great story on its own and creates an atmosphere that fits great with Brubaker’s style. When PhilliBru team up I feel like I’m hypnotized, slowly being pulled into a web of intrigue so evil, so dense that I find myself with a ravenous urge to kill without remorse, rob without question, commit crimes without conscience...then make love to a mysterious woman (like Lady Kletus…she might be reading) on the hood of a 1965 Dodge Charger still warm from fleeing the G-men who are always one fricken’ step behind me…YOU’LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE COPPERS!!!!… {ahem}…excuse me …got kinda carried away there…basically this issue does a great job of pulling you in and holding you until you’re ultimately disappointed that there isn’t more to read.

These guys have a special chemistry that a lot of writers & artists never experience over a prolonged period of time. The art is great, and I’ve mentioned it before but creating an atmosphere is very important to my enjoyment of a comic. Every time I open one of their comics, I always feel like they’ve set up an interesting premise, created a great environment and that they’ve kept me interested in what happens to these characters no matter how flawed they are—and this issue is right up that alley. I feel like damn near every story in CRIMINAL is fantastic, not to mention movie worthy, and with the right director could be a series of great films. This comic is well written, the art is really good and as the case with all of their work, the characters, the setting, the interaction and narrative feel like a living breathing entity rather than just words and art on a page. Not sure how they always do it but I think Brubaker and Phillips have another hit on their hands. Speaking of hands, get yours on this comic as quick as you can.

More info:
    Writer: Ed Brubaker
    Art: Sean Phillips

Publisher:

Dec 25th, 2012, 10:40 am