May 28th, 2014, 6:35 pm
It's too bad we cannot post a retail copy when a poor Calibre conversion is all we have.

For example, I've seen the Calibre conversion of Skin Game by Jim Butcher and the retail ePub that I have is better. But because of the rules here, I cannot post it. I've tried PMing the person who posted the conversion and he won't reply. So everyone who downloads Skin Game gets a lesser copy.

I feel the rules should be changed to allow retail if the copy that exists is not retail. So if a Calibre conversion to ePub is all we have, then if someone has a retail, the retail should be allowed to be posted. That would make thinks so much better around here. It would allow one retail and one non-retail copy to be posted. Sometimes you can get better from a non-retail like the first two books in the Hyperion series that I posted. I've cleaned up the formatting and fixed a large number of OCR errors. These were fixed up from the retail versions and (IMHO) are much nicer to read. This is why I suggest one retail and one non-retail if it's better then the retail or no retail exists.
May 28th, 2014, 6:35 pm

I do accept WRZ$ donations for any posted eBooks!
May 28th, 2014, 10:48 pm
The rules state unequivocally that poor quality files can be replaced with retail files. So whenever you find a post with poor quality files go ahead and contact a moderator to offer to repost with better quality, we'll be happy to help with the process. We always try to improve the section in every possible way so your help in that matter is appreciated. However, we will not consider the replacement of v5 files, which is the quality offered in the Jim Butcher post at the moment. Thanks anyway.
May 28th, 2014, 10:48 pm
Online
May 28th, 2014, 10:55 pm
qwertyuiop123456789 wrote:It's too bad we cannot post a retail copy when a poor Calibre conversion is all we have.

You appear to have missed the eBook Help Desk, which is the topmost sticky located in this very same General Discussion Forum.

In it you would have found: [IMPORTANT] Rules for the ebook Section.

Specifically,
Reposting releases of ARC files and/or bad quality files
  • First, contact a moderator for the old release to be removed so your replacement post can be approved.
    • Posters of ARC files will be contacted by a moderator and offered a 24 hour deadline to replace their files with a final version of the book.
    • Posters of lesser quality files will have the right to replace their files within a week from notice before the post is removed to make way for a new release. 7 days with a weekend included should be enough for a poster to visit this site and edit the post.
May 28th, 2014, 10:55 pm
May 29th, 2014, 12:18 am
merry60 wrote:However, we will not consider the replacement of v5 files, which is the quality offered in the Jim Butcher post at the moment. Thanks anyway.


Forgive me my ignorance, but what is a v5 file? Is there a guide with ebook terminology somewhere that I can look at?

Thanks!
May 29th, 2014, 12:18 am
May 29th, 2014, 2:34 am
great, thanks!
May 29th, 2014, 2:34 am
May 29th, 2014, 8:07 am
arkonen wrote:There is a good list provided by Ephemeral here: Subject: Ranking version quality of eBooks
Thanks arkonen, ephemeral to the rescue as always :D

But as I already said in that topic, I would leave all versions 5 out of the scanned copies list, as did our 'founding fathers'. Sadly, the link I posted in ephemeral's thread points to a site now gone. It used to be home for the official "scene" A.B.E.-Versioning System, up since 2002. Their detailed system has been methodically followed by all scanners and proofers for years. I suppose the growth of commercial ebooks has relegated the whole business of scanning to a second place, only for the very old and hard-to-find books not yet available in ebook format.

The good news is I had made a copy of their Versioning System for myself before their site went under. For those who are interested: https://app.box.com/s/a3zahpxecefpshhme3bdgmeyfxr93xsk
May 29th, 2014, 8:07 am
Online
May 29th, 2014, 4:05 pm
merry60 wrote:The good news is I had made a copy of their Versioning System for myself before their site went under. For those who are interested: https://app.box.com/s/a3zahpxecefpshhme3bdgmeyfxr93xsk

Oh, the treasures one finds in this social forum!

That versioning system would be a nice addition to the eBooks Help Desk, perhaps as part of tips 'n tricks.
May 29th, 2014, 4:05 pm
Jun 5th, 2014, 4:12 pm
merry60 wrote:The rules state unequivocally that poor quality files can be replaced with retail files. So whenever you find a post with poor quality files go ahead and contact a moderator to offer to repost with better quality, we'll be happy to help with the process. We always try to improve the section in every possible way so your help in that matter is appreciated. However, we will not consider the replacement of v5 files, which is the quality offered in the Jim Butcher post at the moment. Thanks anyway.


So I contact a moderator because I have a noticeably better quality eBook. According to the rules, you give the OP 7 days. That's fine, but when the 7 days are up, and the OP cannot replace the lesser quality eBook with the better one because the OP doesn't have such? Do I have to give it over to the OP so the OP can replace it? If the OP doesn't respond, does the eBook get removed from the post to make way for my posting it?
Jun 5th, 2014, 4:12 pm

I do accept WRZ$ donations for any posted eBooks!
Jun 5th, 2014, 4:24 pm
kthulhu7 wrote:
merry60 wrote:However, we will not consider the replacement of v5 files, which is the quality offered in the Jim Butcher post at the moment. Thanks anyway.


Forgive me my ignorance, but what is a v5 file? Is there a guide with ebook terminology somewhere that I can look at?

Thanks!


A v5.0 eBook is retail. It's not converted from any other format. It's not had Calibre going in and updating the metadata. The only thing a v5.0 (retail) has had done (if need be) is to have the DRM removed. A Calibre conversion of an eBook in AZW3 (KF8) to ePub is not a v5.0. It's not even a v5.1. Retail means that it's as the publisher released it. The only thing you are allowed to do with a retail and still call it retail is to remove the DRM.

There is an issue with Calibre's default options. The problem is that it's set that when you do a Save to disk, it updates the metadata and thus invalidates what a v5.0 is. It no longer can be called a v5.0.

To fix Calibre's misguided default Saving to disk options, run Calibre and go to Preferences...
1. Click on Saving Books to disk
2. Uncheck all of the check boxes except Show files in browser after saving to disk
3. Click Apply
4. Restart Calibre
5. Done

Now when you use Save to disk, it will not mess up a true v5.0 with a metadata update.
Jun 5th, 2014, 4:24 pm

I do accept WRZ$ donations for any posted eBooks!
Jun 5th, 2014, 4:31 pm
qwertyuiop123456789 wrote:That's fine, but when the 7 days are up, and the OP cannot replace the lesser quality eBook with the better one because the OP doesn't have such? Do I have to give it over to the OP so the OP can replace it? If the OP doesn't respond, does the eBook get removed from the post to make way for my posting it?

I believe this is explained in the very first sentence of the rule where we ask you to contact a moderator "so your replacement post can be approved."


Edit: Rules replaced May 21 2015 with an even more efficient way to replace bad/ARC files. New rule explained in detail here: viewtopic.php?f=1147&t=1125137
Jun 5th, 2014, 4:31 pm
Last edited by merry60 on Jun 26th, 2015, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added link to rules.
Online
Oct 7th, 2016, 4:58 pm
Can the rules please be changed that we can have the best copy possible? If a poor copy if posted first in a given format, that format is screwed because as it stands, we cannot replace it with better.
Oct 7th, 2016, 4:58 pm

I do accept WRZ$ donations for any posted eBooks!
Oct 7th, 2016, 6:28 pm
qwertyuiop123456789 wrote:Can the rules please be changed that we can have the best copy possible? If a poor copy if posted first in a given format, that format is screwed because as it stands, we cannot replace it with better.

The Rules don't need to be changed, please read them again and you will see that we already have an option to replace poor copies and an option to replace with the best copy.
Oct 7th, 2016, 6:28 pm
Online