Aug 21st, 2014, 4:05 pm
bluey1234 wrote:Thank you soooooooooooo much, Carcosa. Thanks for being so kind and sparing your time. You have explained everything so well. I'll follow through it.

May God bless you, dear. :D

Take Care.

You too. Good luck and do let us know how it works out, as it might help other people having a similar problem.
Aug 21st, 2014, 4:05 pm

Links dead? Need re-up? PM me.

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is Lost Carcosa.
Aug 26th, 2014, 12:38 pm
The rules for posting an eBook here are pretty ridiculous. A couple of weeks ago I tried to post a retail copy of an ebook. No retail copy existed on this site, but a poorly scanned version did. Of course a mod removed my retail post because of the scan version. After a couple of weeks I asked the mod to remove the scan post so i could post my version, as per the 7 day rule. So I did my repost and now another mod has removed it for being a repost even though they provide no proof of it being one.

Why is it so hard to post here and why is it impossible to post different versions of eBooks? There are many different retail versions that exist of eBooks. An Amazon version could be completely different from the B&N version. A European version can be completely different from an American version. A scan is not the same as retail and a ARC is not the same as a scan or a retail. So I am wondering why is this site limiting all of these different versions on a first come first post basis, as most likely the first post will either be a scan or ARC, leaving the retail copies to not be allowed to be posted unless a mod is contacted and a week or more is passed. Then if a retail is posted no more retails can be posted? If the B&N retail version is already on the site all Amazon users will never be able to see the Amazon retail version on the site. On top of that how will we ever be able to compare different retail versions against each other to know what copy is the better version when only one retail copy is allowed to be on the site?

To me it seems that these nonsensical rules are seriously hampering what this site is meant for, sharing. Not to mention seriously hampering discovery of the best versions possible because of this first come first post rubbish. Twice my retail post has been taken down because of it and all of your users are missing out on the title all because of rules that do not make sense. Why can't a scan, ARC and different retail versions co exist?

I propose that as long as the version is defined [Scan, ARC,Retail(what Storefront)] and it is different from any version on here that the post should be allowed without all of this mod contacting nonsense. Because as is, even with having okayed a repost with a mod, posts are still being removed. Obviously your current system is not working well and is hampering the material the users can find. Which I would think should be the main focus of a site centered around sharing.
Aug 26th, 2014, 12:38 pm
Aug 26th, 2014, 12:59 pm
Hi violent23, I understand it can be frustration but read this post - viewtopic.php?p=874615#p874615

talk to one of the mods or even Merry, explain the problem and one of them will help. If you just double post without one of them knowing what is happening your post will be deleted. When searching you need to look in collections and at each post to make sure it is not part of a series already posted.

Again for any questions start on page one of this eBook Help Desk or pm a mod. They are willing to help, just give them a chance.
Aug 26th, 2014, 12:59 pm
Aug 26th, 2014, 1:03 pm
sunnysideup wrote:Hi violent23, I understand it can be frustration but read this post - viewtopic.php?p=874615#p874615

talk to one of the mods or even Merry, explain the problem and one of them will help. If you just double post without one of them knowing what is happening your post will be deleted. When searching you need to look in collections and at each post to make sure it is not part of a series already posted.

Again for any questions start on page one of this eBook Help Desk or pm a mod. They are willing to help, just give them a chance.

Yes thank you, I already have a mod helping me. But what about posting different retail versions, what about posting a retail version AND leaving the scanned or ARC version up (as some may prefer or like them better)? Why delete content that is different from each other with the only similarities being the title and author?
Aug 26th, 2014, 1:03 pm
Aug 26th, 2014, 1:18 pm
Double post lead to confusing and extra bandwidth on the server. Since the owner pays for this site and we support him/her with premium/platinum accounts, not double posting helps to keep down on bandwidth and server overload. And it is just one of the rules they have in place. For someone that does not know how or where to search seeing several different post with the same book/author could cause confusion. Not everyone is able to understand or see the difference in a post (ePub, mobi, scanned, retail). It is easier to change format via Cailbre or ask the original uploader to change format than having 3 different formats posting separately
Aug 26th, 2014, 1:18 pm
Aug 26th, 2014, 3:14 pm
sunnysideup wrote:Double post lead to confusing and extra bandwidth on the server. Since the owner pays for this site and we support him/her with premium/platinum accounts, not double posting helps to keep down on bandwidth and server overload. And it is just one of the rules they have in place. For someone that does not know how or where to search seeing several different post with the same book/author could cause confusion. Not everyone is able to understand or see the difference in a post (ePub, mobi, scanned, retail). It is easier to change format via Cailbre or ask the original uploader to change format than having 3 different formats posting separately

So yes, I can understand server space and cost being an issue but at the same time we are talking about different versions of items. Does the Movies section of this site allow no "duplicate" posts of DVD or Blueray when a theater Rec version is already posted? I would imagine not.

Often the retail Amazon version is not the same as the B&N retail version. While yes you can convert the .AZW from Amazon to .epub you are still only getting the Amazon version, just converted. That means no one will ever get to see the B&N version on this site and it may have a completely different layout and formatting not to mention extra features and sections. All this is being missed out on because of the sites strict rules.

As for users not understanding the differences in multiple versions, firstly maybe they should not be pirating eBooks for their eReaders if they do not understand the terms and secondly clear tags on each post that list the store the retail version comes from would infinitely clear up the first problem. More so than the method used now of only tagging .epub, .azw3, .mobi, or .pdf. Because frankly if you are worried a user cant figure out multiple listings with clear tags (such as what store or pre-retail ARC or scan) why is it you currently expect them to understand .azw, .epub and .pdf?
Aug 26th, 2014, 3:14 pm
Aug 26th, 2014, 5:23 pm
Subject: [IMPORTANT] Rules for the ebook section
Reposting releases of ARC files and/or bad quality files
  • First, contact a moderator for the old release to be removed so your replacement post can be approved.
    • Posters of ARC files will be contacted by a moderator and offered a 24 hour deadline to replace their files with a final version of the book.
    • Posters of lesser quality files will have the right to replace their files within a week from notice before the post is removed to make way for a new release. 7 days with a weekend included should be enough for a poster to visit this site and edit the post.

Nowhere in the rules will you find that you can "go ahead and post" if you have a retail or a better copy, proper procedure must always be followed. Even different versions need to be documented in order for both posts (old and new) to stay, only yesterday we allowed the "revised" edition of a previously posted book. We always find a way to repost with better and/or different versions of books, provided it is not the same book with just a different cover, the same book by a different publisher, or the US or UK version of exactly the same book.

Document the differences (new introduction by the author, revised edition, anniversary edition, etc.) in a PM to a moderator and you will be saving us all a lot of trouble. We have several hundred new releases every day to control, I hope you understand and enjoy posting without any further problems from now on :)
Aug 26th, 2014, 5:23 pm
Sep 2nd, 2014, 7:28 am
Is it possible to have a separate for short story collections rather than being in general fiction?
Sep 2nd, 2014, 7:28 am
Sep 2nd, 2014, 8:19 am
veekay wrote:Is it possible to have a separate for short story collections rather than being in general fiction?
Short stories are treated exactly the same as other books and are always categorized according to genre, not all in general fiction. Only collections of short stories by several authors would have to be categorized in Collections. I'd say the number of short stories collections posted is not important enough to merit a new sub-division.
Sep 2nd, 2014, 8:19 am
Sep 3rd, 2014, 8:14 pm
I have searched the forum a couple of time for the new NOT ALLOWED book but never found anything by her. Thought this was weird. Today I uploaded a her newest and when it was posted the authors name does not appear just the words NOT ALLOWED. What does this mean and how do I fix it?
Sep 3rd, 2014, 8:14 pm
Sep 3rd, 2014, 8:38 pm
It means that you should not post the book because it is not allowed.
Sep 3rd, 2014, 8:38 pm
Sep 4th, 2014, 8:02 pm
Is it possible to search just short stories in General Fiction ? or can you make a separate section for short fiction
Genre: General Fiction, Short Stories

merry60 wrote:Already answered, please read the last part of my comment above: number of short stories posted is not sufficiently important for a sub-genre.
Sep 4th, 2014, 8:02 pm
Sep 4th, 2014, 8:09 pm
Merry, you are the GREATEST!!!!!!

Hugs to you with lots of chocolate.

No ephemeral you cannot have Merry's chocolate. :)
Sep 4th, 2014, 8:09 pm
Sep 6th, 2014, 7:18 pm
Carcosa, I am still at loss. Tried a lot of things but still these sites are down for me. Now, I am not able to view the results of other e-book downloading sites, too. It seems as if someone is taking note of everything I do and not allowing me to download any book from anywhere. It's so frustrating.

Sorry, I haven't used any technical terms as I do not understand any of them, in this case.
zackddog wrote:This is not something that happens very often, us being stumped, so I asked our Highly Trained Squirrels Team Leader, Carcosa, to give bluey some of his invaluable free time, and help, with a bit more focused assistance (and space) than we can dedicate to answering here.
Sep 6th, 2014, 7:18 pm
Sep 9th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Hello from me again
I want to download my first travel /visual / magazine but I've never used this host.... what button do I press please!
And I also don't see any buttons to uncheck, like I do on others.
IPad.

This one... https://www.oboom.com/8ZQD1W56
And do I need to register?
Sep 9th, 2014, 7:19 pm