Feb 13th, 2018, 11:59 am
either for audiobooks or text.
i noticed, often im starting thinking about something else while still going through text, and few paragraph later, i realize that i can't recall what i've just read. luckily more often with uninteresting sections, that otherwise serve as a filler until better part of the book.

with audios i use audiobook+ebook combo - if possible. it always helps, especially for books that tend to be promising throughout. also its different per genre, i noticed that i don't need it (audiobook+ebook) with nonfiction books that much - because they arent intense in dialogues, i suppose - and narrated sections in others i can also go with audio only.

other time, when listening to the audiobook on my desktop pc, i play videos of video games playthroughs in the foreground - of something that im moderately interested in - rather than doing some random things on the internet. it servers as a consistent way of keeping my thoughts with whatever the book is about.

im primary an audiobook reader but plan on switching to text more often in the future. any tips for me?
Feb 13th, 2018, 11:59 am
Feb 18th, 2018, 2:05 pm
it's a pity there are no suggestions because I have this problem too, especially with books I am reading rather than listening to.
I manage to pay attention when I'm listening (usually while playing Candy Crush) but just reading bores me after a short while, even if the story is interesting. There are times when I have to force myself to read at least 20 pages at a time, or the book would take forever.

Hoping for suggestions
Feb 18th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Feb 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm
Don`t use ebooks, use normal Books, and keep yourself in Proximity, i.e, keep your phone away, better switched off.
Feb 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm
Feb 18th, 2018, 3:14 pm
parindonga wrote:Don`t use ebooks, use normal Books, and keep yourself in Proximity, i.e, keep your phone away, better switched off.
Either if you are using eBook use some app which dozes your Apps, so they don`t disturb you for an hour or two.
Feb 18th, 2018, 3:14 pm
Mar 9th, 2018, 8:49 am

thanks. sounds good. after checking it, maybe some tips i should try at different time of day, say, something else when im tired in the evening while other when reading midday.
Mar 9th, 2018, 8:49 am
Nov 16th, 2018, 4:10 am
I know this response comes quite some time after you posted your question, but in case you are still struggling or there is someone else that is: I have the exact same problem and have found my solution.
Backstory: Up until now, I haven't read an entire book cover to cover in quite a few years! I have attempted to implement a few of the above tips and have installed and use appblock to prevent peregrination into apps of triviality.

Recommended Solution: Use the app Moon Reader+, and activate its TTS capabilities; Speed it up to match a bit beyond your normal reading speed so that you have to stay focused (just a bit beyond, nothing crazy). Moon Reader+ highlights the sections the TTS engine is reading while your eyes follow along. You can still lose focus every now and then, but it keeps you from feeling like you've missed much (you've heard it, even if your eyes or mind darted off for a sentence or five) and it forces you to keep moving forward. If I have the audiobook available, I also combine sped up Audiobooks using SmartAudiobook Player and switch back and forth between that and the ebook.
This idea came to me after realizing my love for leaving the captions on when I watch a movie and someone in the room says something. Even if my ears miss part of the dialogue, my eyes, keep my mind from wandering too far from the plot.

Update: After some searching, I also seem to have found an app called Voice Dream that seems to be made for this purpose. I may have to give it a shot, since it seems to allow for the very realistic Neospeech, Ivona, & Acapella Voices. Maybe, in due time, someone on mobilism will crack the new version for us so we could try it out, but as of now, it is $9.99 + $$ for each voice. Until then, it is too expensive for me to try out, so I will continue with my current method.

Anyway, since implementing this Moon Reader TTS idea just last week, I have read three books (Thomas Paine's Common Sense, Rights of Man, and the Age of Reason) cover to cover in 6 days! I am reading again and am overjoyed!

I hope this helps someone else out there! Until solving this frustrating loss of focus, I didn't know what I was missing! Good luck! :)
Nov 16th, 2018, 4:10 am
Nov 16th, 2018, 8:35 pm
phantomh1ve's suggestion really works for me. The idea is to read out loud to help maintain focus on what you're reading (vocalisation). Of course, other people around you may not want to hear what you're reading...more so if you're in a train/subway. That's where TTS comes in really handy. Let someone (or something) else do the vocalisations for you. In fact, having those earbuds/earphones also dampen out external noise that can cause distractions.

Note: Be careful when moving about while using TTS with earphones...be aware of your surroundings...stop your reading+TTS when crossing the road/train tracks... etc. Be safe.
Nov 16th, 2018, 8:35 pm
Nov 17th, 2018, 12:04 am
If I'm reading on a device, I blow up the font a bit so my eyes don't have to work so hard to focus. That helps.

The only other option I can suggest is to try new authors. I've found a few good (to me) authors this way and had fun devouring their backlists. There is something about a NEW author that helps me to focus.
Nov 17th, 2018, 12:04 am
Nov 26th, 2018, 11:35 pm
@phantomh1ve: thanks, your ideas seem really good. that speed option when using TTS software gives me few new ideas as well. like having it only quiet in the background, only to serve as some noise that is not completely random, instead, somewhat corresponds to the text.
Nov 26th, 2018, 11:35 pm
Feb 1st, 2019, 3:27 am
"i noticed, often im starting thinking about something else while still going through text, and few paragraph later, i realize that i can't recall what i've just read."

While I don't have a problem with distractions, I've found myself getting anxious about something similar when I'm reading a particularly "tough" book:

To paraphrase you, few paragraphs later, I realize I don't understand everything I've just read.

It used to bring about some anxiety, but after struggling with it for a while, I realized that the book will always be there.

Even if I don't get everything, I can always read it again in a couple of years when I'm (hopefully) smarter (or more easily focused, in your case), but it's better to read it now and not get everything out of it yet than not read it at all.

Cheesy as it is, practice does make perfect.

Not sure if it helps, but thought I could share in case it does.
Feb 1st, 2019, 3:27 am