Anything that does not belong in the other categories
Apr 30th, 2010, 3:02 pm
Dear squawksarah,

Thank you very much for the series of programs Pocket Birds, Trees, Flowers, etc.
Big thanks also for all who checked and improved data/picture files.

I'd like to ask squawksarah to consider my small request as urgent.

It seems that every program now has its own kind of processing of the directory for the files.
Some of programs - including Pocket Trees v.2.2.2 are simply not usable now - they require to put data in the root directory of the storage card that is detected as the first one by the program. Putting data to the root directory is not standard practice because too many directories will appear in the root making the card unmanageable.

The best kind of processing is now in Pocket Birds: contents of the file manual_card.txt allows user to set the directory manually and contents of the file sdcard.txt serves as directory description (file path in terms of programmers). The program simply take set of symbols from the file (e.g., Storage Card/Miscellaneous/AviaSoft), and use it as a prefix for data directory (in my example program uses as a path: /Storage Card/Miscellaneous/AviaSoft/PBEdata). It it the most comfortable way to define directory path.

So, squawksarah, could you please:

a) make this sort of processing elsewhere in your beatiful programs? It is very simple - you already have design and code.
b) It would be nice also to fix the name of exe-files in all your programs (didn't change it from version to version, don't put version into the file name at all). This will allow users to stop modifying references to exe-files in launchers when changing versions.
c) change icon in Pocket Trees - now (v.2.2.2) it is butterfly icon.

Thank you in advance.
Apr 30th, 2010, 3:02 pm
Apr 30th, 2010, 11:51 pm
Thank you very much for the series of programs Pocket Birds, Trees, Flowers, etc.
Big thanks also for all who checked and improved data/picture files.

I'd like to ask squawksarah to consider my small request as urgent.

It seems that every program now has its own kind of processing of the directory for the files.
Some of programs - including Pocket Trees v.2.2.2 are simply not usable now - they require to put data in the root directory of the storage card that is detected as the first one by the program. Putting data to the root directory is not standard practice because too many directories will appear in the root making the card unmanageable.

The best kind of processing is now in Pocket Birds: contents of the file manual_card.txt allows user to set the directory manually and contents of the file sdcard.txt serves as directory description (file path in terms of programmers). The program simply take set of symbols from the file (e.g., Storage Card/Miscellaneous/AviaSoft), and use it as a prefix for data directory (in my example program uses as a path: /Storage Card/Miscellaneous/AviaSoft/PBEdata). It it the most comfortable way to define directory path

So, squawksarah, could you please:

a) make this sort of processing elsewhere in your beatiful programs? It is very simple - you already have design and code.

>> I sympathise greatly with what you say here. This would be the ideal situation to have. The problem is I am driven by what users ask for and what avenues they take me down. For example, believe it or not there are lots of PDA users who could not work out the simple task of copying the data folder over and pointing the program at it. These forums show that what is easy for one is not for someone else. So I tried to keep things simple and on a program by program basis. Whenever I change something there is always someone who has problems with their PDA device based on the changes I made. Then there are the two-card system devices that have card#1 as an internal card and it is card#2 that is the genuine SDHC card. So you can see why the little extras (like manual_card.txt and so on) have been added. And even adding that caused some users problems. So I am reluctant to make changes without real need. It always comes back and bites me.

Second thought is that this series of nature programs didn't start out as a designed package but as a one by one program. If I had known how it would have ended then I would have designed the storage card address system just as you suggest it should best be done. Maybe this is a good time to change the system and, as you say, place all the folders in a single folder. That shouldn't produce problems - but I am sure it will give some users difficulties because that is what happens whenever changes are made. :) And I am prone to make mistakes too. :lol:

You write... 'Some of programs - including Pocket Trees v.2.2.2 are simply not usable now - they require to put data in the root directory of the storage card that is detected as the first one by the program.' I think you'll find the programs are usable. If they were unusable someone would have said so. 8)

b) It would be nice also to fix the name of exe-files in all your programs (didn't change it from version to version, don't put version into the file name at all). This will allow users to stop modifying references to exe-files in launchers when changing versions.

>> I have this problem with my SPB file launcher too. Originally I kept the distributable exe files the same filename. I honestly cannot recall when or why I started adding version numbers to the EXEs. It was started most likely because I got the latest EXE mixed up with an older one somehow.

c) change icon in Pocket Trees - now (v.2.2.2) it is butterfly icon.

>>Well spotted. I messed up the icon creation and somehow two different images went into the Trees icon. If you look at the Trees iconset the 128pixel size one is a tree, all the other sizes are butterflies. And this is what happens when you use software without reading the instructions. :o :lol:

In fact, I am redoing the icons right now.

Thank you in advance.
Apr 30th, 2010, 11:51 pm
May 1st, 2010, 2:48 pm
May 1st, 2010, 2:48 pm
May 2nd, 2010, 10:01 am
And this is what happens when you use software without reading the instructions. :o :lol:

How many of us read the instructions first? I Not at all.
Sarah Thank you for updating programs. :shock:

Ponrepo
May 2nd, 2010, 10:01 am
May 3rd, 2010, 10:29 am
Sarah, thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, I didn't understand if you are planning to change the processing of directory paths in your programs using Pocket Birds EU scheme. Could you please answer this question.
My point is that icons are not important at all - they could be old. Of course, this opinion is only my opinion.
May 3rd, 2010, 10:29 am
May 3rd, 2010, 3:18 pm
tree wrote:Sarah, thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, I didn't understand if you are planning to change the processing of directory paths in your programs using Pocket Birds EU scheme. Could you please answer this question.
My point is that icons are not important at all - they could be old. Of course, this opinion is only my opinion.

Well, no. I am not intending to change the way these programs find data folders. At least not as a matter of urgency. But i will keep it in mind for the next time I make changes because it is a good idea.

You are the only person to ask for this change. I suspect most people don't use more than one or two of the aviasoft programs and so it isn't a problem for them. I only know of one person who has all the aviasoft programs on his PDA.

How many of these programs are you actually using? I only ask because I wonder why you feel this is such an important issue. I have them all on my PDA and I do agree, there are too many folders in the root directory. :)
May 3rd, 2010, 3:18 pm
May 3rd, 2010, 4:19 pm
squawksarah wrote:How many of these programs are you actually using? I only ask because I wonder why you feel this is such an important issue.

In fact, the main for me is not the number of directories in the root directory - I use only Pocket Birds, Pocket Butterflies and Pocket Trees for my interest. Simply, my PDA has both internal and external storage cards. Current versions of Pocket Trees and Pocket Butterflies don't allow me to use external storage card trying to find file directory on internal storage card. But I can't use it - it's already full :(

squawksarah wrote:But i will keep it in mind for the next time.

It it will be possible in some time in future it will be very good. Thank you in advance.
May 3rd, 2010, 4:19 pm
May 3rd, 2010, 4:49 pm
In fact, the main for me is not the number of directories in the root directory - I use only Pocket Birds, Pocket Butterflies and Pocket Trees for my interest. Simply, my PDA has both internal and external storage cards. Current versions of Pocket Trees and Pocket Butterflies don't allow me to use external storage card trying to find file directory on internal storage card. But I can't use it - it's already full :(

Oh. Well that is a problem that needs sorting out!

This two-card (internal/external) device thing is confusing to me. I thought I'd sorted it out with the automatic detection. The auto-detect finds 2 'cards' but one is 'internal' and not a 'card' at all. In tests I found that it was 'card' #1 that was the internal 'card' so I ignored that one and used 'card' #2 for sdcard.txt. But it sounds like your device uses 'card' #1 for the plug-in sd card address. Would you agree with that? I will need to give this card addressing some thought and then I will change the code in the programs to allow you to choose for yourself from a list of cards that were found on your device. That should do it. Also I will take this opportunity to implement the idea of a single Aviasoft data folder.
May 3rd, 2010, 4:49 pm
May 4th, 2010, 11:05 am
[quote="squawksarah]
I will need to give this card addressing some thought and then I will change the code in the programs to allow you to choose for yourself from a list of cards that were found on your device. That should do it. Also I will take this opportunity to implement the idea of a single Aviasoft data folder.[/quote]

Of course, decision will be yours. But I think that the most simple alternative is the one that is already implemented in Pocket Birds. It allows: to set card name, to put data directory into any card directory, etc. For the users with small experience it keeps the scheme that Pocket Trees already have - so, no need in new explanations.

Thank you for your efforts. :)
May 4th, 2010, 11:05 am
May 5th, 2010, 1:29 am
NEW POINT RELEASE: POCKET TREES 2.2.3

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=26RCB3MN

This is a rush release to fix the multi-card auto-detect problems for some devices.

It allows you to enter a chosen path for the SD Card that will take the program to the TREEdata folder. To make it work you will need to edit a new file called manual_path.txt and enter a 1 in place of the zero. Simples! :)

For non-Engish users you can also edit the file MNU_NAMES.txt to change the soft menu names to words of your choice. This file is read at startup and whatever you choose for the two soft menus will be used in the program.

See the text file within the RAR for a more detailed explanation.

'TREE': Can you try this out and if it works on your multi-card device, I will amend the other programs too.

ICON: I can not yet make the desktop exe show the icon. I have tried adding the set of 32-bit icons but these are still not visible on the desktop. It should be visible but for reasons unknown (alien interference, probably) it doesn't show up.

Sarah
May 5th, 2010, 1:29 am
May 5th, 2010, 2:28 pm
[quote="squawksarah]'TREE': Can you try this out and if it works on your multi-card device, I will amend the other programs too.
Sarah[/quote]

Sarah, thank you!

1. Directory path selection works as in Pocket Birds now (and as is describes in "new for v.2.2.3.txt" in downloaded archive)! Program icon is correct now.
2. But there is a problem with menu selection at WVGA screen. When trying to push "Trees1" or "Trees2" I don't see menu. Nothing happens (only short menu text flicker).
3. The same situation is with Pocket Birds EU v.4.3.3.
May 5th, 2010, 2:28 pm
May 5th, 2010, 7:36 pm
tree wrote:[quote="squawksarah]'TREE': Can you try this out and if it works on your multi-card device, I will amend the other programs too.
Sarah[/quote]

Sarah, thank you!

1. Directory path selection works as in Pocket Birds now (and as is describes in "new for v.2.2.3.txt" in downloaded archive)! Program icon is correct now.
2. But there is a problem with menu selection at WVGA screen. When trying to push "Trees1" or "Trees2" I don't see menu. Nothing happens (only short menu text flicker).
3. The same situation is with Pocket Birds EU v.4.3.3.[/quote]

Well that is very odd. Quite a few use WVGA devices and seem to have had no problems with the menus.

Has anyone else had trouble with WVGA?
May 5th, 2010, 7:36 pm
May 5th, 2010, 11:26 pm
DESKTOP VERSION PROBLEM?

If you are having a problem getting the desktop version to work it is my error.

You need to rename the desktop folder from 'Pocket Trees' to 'PocketTrees'.
May 5th, 2010, 11:26 pm
May 6th, 2010, 7:30 am
squawksarah wrote:DESKTOP VERSION PROBLEM?

If you are having a problem getting the desktop version to work it is my error.

You need to rename the desktop folder from 'Pocket Trees' to 'PocketTrees'.

Hi Sarah,
do not have time to test for next few days but at first impression the problem with malfunctioning of desktop version is generalized.
Will be back (and more precise) in a few days.
A.
May 6th, 2010, 7:30 am
May 6th, 2010, 9:54 am
[quote="squawksarah]

Well that is very odd. Quite a few use WVGA devices and seem to have had no problems with the menus.

Has anyone else had trouble with WVGA?[/quote]

Updated: I've just tried to de-install Pocket Birds and install it again. Both - left and right menus in the bottom bar doesn't work. I use manual_card(path).txt and sdcard.txt to set directory path of the data. Isn't it a matter of a problem with menu?
May 6th, 2010, 9:54 am