Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
Oct 11th, 2018, 3:42 am
Of course not. Some of my favorite fantasy books had terrible covers when I first read them.
Oct 11th, 2018, 3:42 am
Oct 11th, 2018, 9:09 am
I used to and after reading the book or trying to read it, I thought woooooh such a nice cover for such a lame story....... now I prefer to read the synopsis - sometimes the synopsis doesn't really reflect the book.
if we like a book by its cover or synopsis we have to try it, we can have nice surprises..... like bad ones :-D
Oct 11th, 2018, 9:09 am
Oct 11th, 2018, 12:50 pm
Sigh. MustbeMe is all too right. Electronic publishing has done wonders for boosting the variety of new books but nothing good for the average quality. Shoveling through the crap to find the inspired novel that formerly no editor would dare to publish is a pain. So how to find the needle in the haystack? Reviewers insist on being bribed, The Synopsis is as honest as advertising ever is.

The picture does at least suggest effort and at least sometimes reflects the content. However a good cover is more evidence of an appreciation of formula. So indicating a good book but not so hot for great ones.

My personal rules now::

* Never bother with an author of less than 3 books - that way if the one is good I get a fair chance of two more readable ones.

* Look for audio versions. A fair sign of success.

* If the Author has at least one novel with at least 40 thank you's then S/he is doing something right (and the poster has kept working links for a decent length of time)

However none of the above is proof I will like the book. I like fantasy & SF and the most popular labeled as such are actually Romance,Action Adventure or Horror. That because of the reader base for other genres is so much bigger. They swamp those of us whose appreciation is for innovative world building.
Oct 11th, 2018, 12:50 pm
Oct 12th, 2018, 7:52 am
At first glance yes whilst scanning the shelf's.
Soon go past this stage though
Oct 12th, 2018, 7:52 am

Not a lot here
Oct 14th, 2018, 9:46 pm
Honestly, I've gotten the majority of my favorite books, solely due to the cover, I do admit, that I have been burned a few times this way!!!
Oct 14th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Figs
Feb 2nd, 2019, 7:28 pm
Imagine_That wrote:I do exactly what you do Zelda. The cover will attract me or put me off but I will also read the description. I often will go to Goodreads and read some reviews to get a better idea about the book as well. I spend a lot on books. I don't want to make a bad buy if I can help it!

Me too.. I read books that had good reviews and rating on goodreads. But I read the book's review on Goodreads because the cover interest me.
Feb 2nd, 2019, 7:28 pm
Feb 2nd, 2019, 9:01 pm
Covers may get me interested but mainly I decide depending on the cover what I am not interested in.
Feb 2nd, 2019, 9:01 pm
Feb 8th, 2019, 4:04 pm
I must admit that the cover definitely captures my attention xD
Feb 8th, 2019, 4:04 pm
Feb 16th, 2019, 10:28 am
I do. Although I enjoy erotica a lot I tend to skip fantasy/scifi books that depict both female and male characters on its cover. If I want to read a book in a certain genre I want to read mostly about said genre and not a romance with a side of, for instance, fantasy. More often than not it's a totally stupified type of romance, too, and I can't stand that.
Feb 16th, 2019, 10:28 am
Feb 22nd, 2019, 9:56 pm
I do, but only for complete unknowns. It's how I first got into the Dresden Files. Although sometimes, an interesting title will draw my interest to at least read the teaser on the back, like Monster Hunters International.
Feb 22nd, 2019, 9:56 pm
Apr 17th, 2019, 6:59 am
Yes and No. Yes, a cover can cause me to not consider buying it. No, for the most part, a cover does not
help me make a decision to buy the book.
Apr 17th, 2019, 6:59 am
Apr 23rd, 2019, 4:41 am
Sometimes. But it is usually the book title that catches my eye
Apr 23rd, 2019, 4:41 am
May 10th, 2019, 9:51 pm
Sometimes. But I also open the book and read some of it to get a better understanding of what it is about.
May 10th, 2019, 9:51 pm

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

May 25th, 2019, 3:13 pm
Not only don't I judge a book by its cover, I don't even judge a book by its description. (I've read too many books that sounded like they'd be good, by their description, only to be disappointed when I actually started reading them.)

So if it's a genre I like, I start reading the book until I get disappointed. I used to stick with a book until I finished it, even if it wasn't good, but I got tired of being annoyed and disappointed. Reading is supposed to be for pleasure and enjoyment. Not an experience in aggravation. And life is too short to be disappointed! ;)
May 25th, 2019, 3:13 pm
Jun 12th, 2019, 8:55 am
Unfortunately, I do. :think: But then I do some research and decide if I really want to read it or not. :)
Jun 12th, 2019, 8:55 am