Any kind of educational software. Dictionaries do not count (they are in the language section)
Oct 19th, 2010, 1:26 am
Aviasoft Nature Explorer 1.0 (freeware)
Requirements: Windows Desktop or Windows-Mobile
Overview:
Nature Explorer is a non-expert nature identification program covering five of the nature subjects easily viewed when out walking in Europe. Birds, Butterflies, Wild Flowers, Fungi and Trees are covered. This program brings together five Aviasoft programs in a non-expert way. GPS logging is not included. All graphics and bird-songs are compressed to keep the total package size very low. An optional photograph pack can be integrated with the data to give the option of a screen-sized photograph for items. Currently photos in this Photo-Pack are available for Birds, Butterflies and Fungi.

QVGA version if required.
* Birds, Butterflies, Wild Flowers, Fungi and Trees.
* Updated and improved Butterflies and Fungi
* Bird songs included.
* graphical menus for choosing a items by shape, colour or type
* Detailed category lists in text menus.
* Latin or English names
* All data in only 55mb stored on your SD Card (VGA)
* Optional Photo Pack
* Users can add their own photos

More Info:
Code: Select allwww.aviasoft.org

Download Instructions:

VGA PDA-DEVICE Full:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K13KK204

Windows Desktop Full:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0YSHG4NZ

Photo-Pack 1.0 (Optional):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6K4CC3UR

Mirrors(thanks to Pirate Pete):

Windows Desktop Full:
http://rapidshare.com/files/425931863/NatureExplorer_100_VGA_Full.rar

Photo-Pack 1.0 (Optional):
http://rapidshare.com/files/425935334/NatureExplorer1.0_PHOTO_PACKS.rar
Oct 19th, 2010, 1:26 am
Oct 19th, 2010, 10:28 am
Hi Sarah

Works great, very handy to have them all in one place.
I take it this is an amalgamation of the latest versions of Birds 4.5 , Butterflies 2.1.2, Wild Flowers 2.2.5, Fungi 3.4.6 and Trees 2.2.6 .

& will herbs 2.0.5 and insects 1.1.1 be added on day ? or is the program getting too big.
Oct 19th, 2010, 10:28 am
Oct 19th, 2010, 1:28 pm
Nice application Sarah, :shock:
each user may include the option AviaN Explorer - AviaSoft atlases your favorite? :)

Ponrepo
Oct 19th, 2010, 1:28 pm
Oct 19th, 2010, 4:04 pm
Pirate_Pete wrote:Hi Sarah

Works great, very handy to have them all in one place.
I take it this is an amalgamation of the latest versions of Birds 4.5 , Butterflies 2.1.2, Wild Flowers 2.2.5, Fungi 3.4.6 and Trees 2.2.6 .

& will herbs 2.0.5 and insects 1.1.1 be added on day ? or is the program getting too big.

Thanks for the mirrors, PP. No this program isn't too big (as yet) to include other topics :)

Yes this is an amalgamation of those softwares. There are a few limitations, no GPS logging (although that could be added). The fungi photos are screen-sized, not SVGA sized, so you cannot zoom into them to see fungi details. Also the birds do not have distribution maps (as yet). Also the bird songs are more compressed so the quality is not so perfect as it is in the main Pocket Birds 4.5.

On the plus side, I have added extra butterflies and 60 of the most exotic macro moths. And the butterflies/moths have distribution mini-maps. Also You can now add your own photo of each item.

The idea behind this program is for those of us who are not expert in these subjects but still wish to have some way of identifying what we find when out walking.

Sarah
Oct 19th, 2010, 4:04 pm
Oct 19th, 2010, 4:08 pm
ponrepo wrote:Nice application Sarah, :shock:
each user may include the option AviaN Explorer - AviaSoft atlases your favorite? :)

Ponrepo

That's a good idea, Ponrepo! Maybe I will make a 'my favorite' option. The program would go to this topic automatically on start up (if it were 'set').
Oct 19th, 2010, 4:08 pm
Oct 19th, 2010, 4:50 pm
great idea to join them all together.. please finish the job by adding all your other products and ... yes, (W)QVGA version is definitively required ! :-)
Oct 19th, 2010, 4:50 pm
Oct 20th, 2010, 3:23 pm
focosi wrote:great idea to join them all together.. please finish the job by adding all your other products and ... yes, (W)QVGA version is definitively required ! :-)

I've just discovered that (W)QVGA is 200x400. :) How do you see the buttons on the far right side of a QVGA screen(240x320)? Would you need a WQVGA option in the QVGA program? (This option would would move the buttons and data display across into the left side of a QVGA screen, at least, as best as it could.
Sarah
Oct 20th, 2010, 3:23 pm
Oct 21st, 2010, 12:54 am
Marvelous Release squawksarah 5WRZ Freeware + 25WRZ Developers Reward. Category: Education.
Oct 21st, 2010, 12:54 am

SUPPORT DEVELOPERS. IF YOU LIKE IT, BUY IT.
Oct 21st, 2010, 7:38 am
squawksarah wrote:
focosi wrote:great idea to join them all together.. please finish the job by adding all your other products and ... yes, (W)QVGA version is definitively required ! :-)

I've just discovered that (W)QVGA is 200x400. :) How do you see the buttons on the far right side of a QVGA screen(240x320)? Would you need a WQVGA option in the QVGA program? (This option would would move the buttons and data display across into the left side of a QVGA screen, at least, as best as it could.
Sarah

Actually I only own a WQVGA Omnia i900 and icons from VGA versions are supersized.
Hope you create a dedicated version.
Thanks again
Oct 21st, 2010, 7:38 am
Oct 22nd, 2010, 6:53 pm
focosi wrote:
squawksarah wrote:

Sarah

Actually I only own a WQVGA Omnia i900 and icons from VGA versions are supersized.
Hope you create a dedicated version.
Thanks again

Already done! I will upload the 'QVGA' version soon.
S
Oct 22nd, 2010, 6:53 pm
Oct 23rd, 2010, 1:03 pm
Hi Sarah, I have one important question.
Will update individual programs? Eg. Butterflies??
Ponrepo
Oct 23rd, 2010, 1:03 pm
Oct 23rd, 2010, 6:02 pm
ponrepo wrote:Hi Sarah, I have one important question.
Will update individual programs? Eg. Butterflies??
Ponrepo

Yes, I will update pocket butterflies with the new butterflies and moths. :)
Oct 23rd, 2010, 6:02 pm
Oct 26th, 2010, 3:26 pm
Hi Sarah,

Excellent!

Any chance of a 320 X 480 HVGA version?
Oct 26th, 2010, 3:26 pm
Oct 26th, 2010, 11:22 pm
redroofs wrote:Hi Sarah,

Excellent!

Any chance of a 320 X 480 HVGA version?

Well, I am just finishing version 2 of this software (which includes Pocket Sky and Pocket Insects) so I will give it some thought before I finalise things.

There is no way for me to do much change to these new screens (WQVGA and HVGA) as I don't have any way of testing the results. All I have been doing in the past is basic stuff to make the program more compatible with new screen formats, (with WVGA for example, I just relocated the buttons so they were along the bottom). But then, WVGA is really just a slightly longer VGA display so it was easy to make changes to fit it.

But these new screen dimensions are neither QVGA or VGA and I wonder if either of those formats would even work on HVGA or WQVGA? As to HVGA, the width of this is in between QVGA and VGA. The QVGA graphics would be somewhat small and the VGA graphics would be too wide. The graphics images are sized for either of those original displays. I really have to stick to the standard sizes, at least until these new display sizes become more standard. So how would you see a QVGA or VGA program work on your device? Is it too wide? Any ideas?
Oct 26th, 2010, 11:22 pm