Feedback or requests for help with the site.
Apr 8th, 2007, 4:28 pm
I love this site but lately I have an issue and wanted to bring it up to hear some opinions.

Lately a few individuals have been posting freeware apps in the software section. This isn't a major problem yet but if it isn't dealt with I'm sure it will get out of hand quickly. Now I'm all for a good piece of software, free, trial or warez, but I think there needs to be another section for freeware altogether. There should be announcements, software, games, freeware, movies, ebooks and general - otherwise it really waters down the retail/commercial software section.

At the very least every freeware app posted as a release needs to have (freeware) in the title so I don't have to click it to find out. If an app is readily available free I'd much rather go get it from the developer's site than somebody else's rapidshare upload.

Also, I think the reward for freeware should be practically nothing (a few warez $ at most), otherwise we're going to see a bajillion new users flooding the board with every piece of crapware that floats on down the pike.

I don't go to a freeware site to download warez and I don't want to have to wade through a slough of freeware progams to download "appz" here, know what I mean?

What are some other opinions?
Apr 8th, 2007, 4:28 pm

It's always darkest before the dawn.... so if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper that's the time to do it.

Moto DROID 2.2 rooted
HTC MT4G Stock 2.2.1
HTC ppc6800 (Mogul)
HTC Wing ROM'd to hell and back
Apr 11th, 2007, 2:16 am
i like this idea a lot...juss having a freeware section...however i disagree w/ the no/partial money of warez CUZ regardless of wat it is, making a post takes a bit of time (considering u have 2 upload the file to rapidshare (even harder if it's a big file))....if LH agrees 2 this, he'll prlly have a lot of work 2 do...(i thinK)...but very good idea...i also thing u should post this in the suggestions/feedback section of the site..that's where this post is most appropriate..
Apr 11th, 2007, 2:16 am

Help mitigate Mobilism's load by donating.
Apr 11th, 2007, 9:01 am
Nice idea, but this should be posted in Suggestions/Feedback Section of this forum. :P
Apr 11th, 2007, 9:01 am

timothy, 27/11/2006 - 16/08/2010
Apr 11th, 2007, 9:43 am
And it should. Moved topic to Suggestions/Feedback.

Nice topic munkyspanker, I think I'll join this discussion later when I'm finished with some other things. For now, in the sticky READ BEFORE POSTING: How to post a release you can see this for freeware:

lifehacker wrote:If it's really good freeware you feel needs to be on PPC Warez you can post it but you will not get a large WRZ$ reward.

The current reward for freeware stands at 8 wrz$ (thats approx. half of the normal reward for a warez post).
Mirrors will not be rewarded for freeware.

Some freeware are really good (like pocket heroes) but some, well...:?. There's no provision in the sticky where if there is freeware thats not good will be removed.

You do have a point though munkyspanker, as there are pocketpc sites that are dedicated to freeware.

... And that's just to get the discussion going. I probably have missed some policies regarding freeware, but I'm in a hurry right now. :)
Apr 11th, 2007, 9:43 am

Retired moderator.

Laying low for now because of a corporate firewall >_<
Apr 12th, 2007, 12:04 am
Lately a few individuals have been posting freeware apps in the software section. This isn't a major problem yet but if it isn't dealt with I'm sure it will get out of hand quickly. Now I'm all for a good piece of software, free, trial or warez, but I think there needs to be another section for freeware altogether. There should be announcements, software, games, freeware, movies, ebooks and general - otherwise it really waters down the retail/commercial software section.

I disagree with some of this. There is some quality freeware that can and should exist alongside with its pay-ware counterpart. It does not matter whether a release is freeware or payware, what matters is the quality, originality, performance and other usability factors.

At the very least every freeware app posted as a release needs to have (freeware) in the title so I don't have to click it to find out. If an app is readily available free I'd much rather go get it from the developer's site than somebody else's rapidshare upload.

Thats why we have a more info link in every release.

Also, I think the reward for freeware should be practically nothing (a few warez $ at most), otherwise we're going to see a bajillion new users flooding the board with every piece of crapware that floats on down the pike.

I agree with this. I will consider reducing the reward to something between 4-6 WRZ$.

I see your point but in general this site is not dedicated solely to warez. It is here to provide users with the largest database of all kinds of releases, both freeware and payware all in a single organized format with user comments and ratings as well as discussion forums of ppc-related topics. What matters is what users are able to achieve on their ppc as a result of uisng this site and not by what means this is done (freeware or reverse engineered software/games). I agree that most freeware is worse than most payware and that there are no freeware replacements for various pay-only software. Thats why we have warez/ But in some instances, freeware can be extremely useful and it is easier to have all ppc releases you need on one site rather than having to search through many ones.
Apr 12th, 2007, 12:04 am

Support developers.