Feb 21st, 2012, 1:27 pm
Program: Kaspersky Rescue Disk v10.0.31.4
Released here

This is an awesome rescue CD to have in your arsenal, and it's best to burn it to a CD or DVD before you'll ever need it! It can use your broadband connection (required) to download updates and signature files, but please don't bother with it if you're on dial-up.

It does however need a better mouse driver since the cursor moves are too fast.

I also wish Kaspersky wouldn't put so much of the files required to run it in the user profile appdata folder, I would much more appreciate it being in its own folder in the root directory like "C:\KAVRescueDisk" or something, but that's a small complaint because if you have to use it you're more than likely just trying to get your system bootable to copy important files off it before a format+reinstall of Windows. - source

Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 is designed to scan, disinfect and restore infected operating systems. It is a bootable CD with just one purpose – to detect and destroy rootkits and viruses that prevent the operating system from booting. So if you’re seeking a more comprehensive solution for system recovery, this may not be the right solution for you.

The Kaspersky rescue disk is an ISO file.

Pros:

User-friendly interface
    Detects and destroys viruses that cannot be detected by standard antivirus software

Cons:

No technical support
    No recovery tools (it is only an antivirus tool)

source
Feb 21st, 2012, 1:27 pm
Feb 21st, 2012, 3:11 pm
Program: CDBurnerXP v4.4.0
Released here

CDBurnerXP 4 is a complete CD/DVD burning solution for the creation of data CDs and DVDs, audio CDs and Video DVDs. It offers full set of features including on-the-fly disc copying, copying to and burning from ISO images, and ISO image conversion. Supports new DVD formats such as Double layer DVDs, Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs.

This program is the mother of all freeware CD burning solutions. The strength of this program is that it is comprehensive in scope, meaning that it allows you to do pretty much everything you need to do when it comes to burning CDs/DVDs. One of the things I didn’t like about the older version I used (3.0.116) of this program was that it looked and felt junky like the various features were added on as afterthoughts; CDBurnerXP 4 on the other hand is very well designed both in terms of how it looks visually as well as the user experience it provides. Here are some notes on this program

• Copy audio and data CD’s on the fly: (swap source and destination media within the same or alternate drives). Copy to ISO file supported
  • Burn Audio CDs: with or without gaps. Supports MP3, WAV, OGG, WMA, and FLAC files. Allows for adding tracks from audio CDs without ripping them first (cda-files). Does not rip audio cds (use the free BonkEnc or Exact Audio Copy for this).
  • Burns Video DVDs: in UDF file format; i.e. they will play on your DVD player.
  • Saves and burns ISO files: Converts .BIN and .NRG images to ISO format.
  • Support for new media formats: double layer DVDs, Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs.
  • Verifies data after burning; can simulate burning for error detection.
  • Supports overburning :( from the FAQ “just add as much data to CD layout as possible and .. ignore warning messages if any”).
  • dropboxDropbox: is a cool feature whereby you can drap and drop files to a floating “drop box” (see screenshot below). I am a sucker for cool features like this one.
  • Bootable CDs/DVDs/ISOs: supported.
  • Automated backups : not implemented in 4.0.013 but promised in a future release.
  • Other features: simple cover printing, integrated audio player, visual representation of disk space, file filtering by extension, etc.

Wish list: context menu entries for adding files to projects, image file conversion/burning, etc.

I was waiting for the release of CDBurnerXP 4 for a long while; finally the wait is over and is well worth it. Highly recommended.

Image “drop box”

source
Feb 21st, 2012, 3:11 pm
Feb 21st, 2012, 6:37 pm
Program: SpaceSniffer v1.1.4.0
Released here

Why another disk scanning utility?

I must admit, in past years I looked for long time to a quick and easy way to analyze my disks space occupation. Found many products, some free some commercial but I never accustomed to anyone of them. It's only a matter of taste but... since my work is not to analyze disk space all the day, for this annoying task I wanted a software that does not need to be re-learned every time I run it. Everything should be directly accessible. In my opinion, if I wonder what is the meaning of a button, then that button should be removed. This is the need that urged me to program SpaceSniffer.

SpaceSniffer tries to be intuitive. Moreover it has some graphical effects. Maybe people think they're useless. I think they help to understand what's happening. The zoom in/out effect for instance helps me to understand where i'm going. The blinking effect helps me understand what has been just scanned or what has changed under my eyes. I found them useful for me, and hope they can be useful for others.

Obviously, it's a matter of taste. Sure there are people that cannot live without complex statistical functions and so. Maybe SpaceSniffer is too simplistic for them. But, if you don't have much time to recover free disk space you'll like a minimal interface.

Please don't misunderstand: minimal interface does not mean simple program. The smart caching engine of SpaceSniffer is designed to permit navigation even during the scan process. More views can be opened on the same disk with different filters and different navigation paths, and a single scan will be performed. If the file system changes then SpaceSniffer reflects those changes even during a scan operation. In my opinion, the complexity of an application must not be visible to the user. Everything should appear simple and obvious. This is the target in the develop of SpaceSniffer.

So, there is plenty of disk analysis tools over the internet, each one has his own features and his own dignity. I hope that SpaceSniffer can be accepted for what it is: simple way to free space with minimum time expense.

There is a lot of room for improvements: suggestion are welcome, please contact me and send yours (my eMail here)

In few words:

• Fast and easy to use
  • Supports drag and drop
  • Export module lets you produce customizable textual reports
  • Intuitive structure layout, multiple views for different media
  • Zoomable elements, navigate like a web browser
  • The Windows folders and file popup menu is accessible by right mouse click
  • It's possible to restrict the view content by typing simple yet powerful filtering criteria
  • Lets you temporary tag files with four different colors and perform filtering on them
  • Different views of the same media can show differently filtered elements
  • Customizable in geometry, colors, behaviors
  • You can navigate even during the scan
  • Smart cached scanning engine, multiple views, single scan
  • You can refine a zoomed area by a secondary scan process, even with main scan active
  • Reacts to file system events, keeps always in synch, warns you by blinking elements
  • Can scan NTFS Alternate Data Streams
  • It doesn't clutter your registry, only a plain XML configuration file
  • It's portable, no installation required, just put the executable somewhere and let's go
  • It's freeWare (donations are welcome)

source
Feb 21st, 2012, 6:37 pm
Feb 22nd, 2012, 8:23 am
Program: System Monitor II v13.21
Released here

The default Windows Task Manager is doing a decent job when is about tracking information about CPU and memory usage. However, there is always place for better than that. System Monitor II is a small but powerful application that can track down every useful data about CPU and memory usage. The Windows Task Manager can show plenty of information but there are some features (extremely important) that are not available. For example, Windows Task Manager cannot display the core CPU usage for each core in particular. If you have a dual core, triple core, quad core (and so on) processor, the Windows Task Manager is going to show you only the overall value of core usage. In exchange, System Monitor II can display the exact value for each individual core. That can be extremely useful in more than one single way.

Besides core usage display, System Monitor II can also display the memory usage: Total of used RAM, Total of free RAM, Total of RAM, Total of used all memory, Total of free all memory and Total of all memory. These are also extremely useful information and System Monitor II can show you these data using percentage, raw numbers and graphical view.

System Monitor II is more accurate than the default Windows Task Manager. Let's take the example of a Dual core processor. If the first CPU usage is 20% and the second CPU usage is 11%, Windows Task Manager is going to show you an overall value of 16% CPU usage. That is not bad but is not accurate either. With System Monitor II you can see each value in detail so you can receive a better view over what is happening in your computer.

Why is System Monitor II famous?

System Monitor II is famous because it is a powerful application that can show you (in an accurate mode) the CPU and RAM usage. System Monitor II comes with more features and options than the default Windows Task Manager and it can provide you a better view of what is happening with your CPU and RAM.

source
Feb 22nd, 2012, 8:23 am
Feb 22nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Program: Skype v5.8.0.156
Released here

Like some other technology trademarks, "Skype" has entered the vernacular, even being used as a verb by such luminaries as Oprah and Ellen. Its importance to modern life was highlighted by the outcry when the service went down for nearly two days. But as Skype's influence becomes more powerful, so does the software itself: New in Skype since our last review are HD video calling, group video calls with up to five participants, and a completely new and clearer-sounding audio codec called SILK. Skype 5.3 is simply the best way to make voice and video calls using your Internet connection and computer.

Skype is much more than just VoIP or even video calling, however. It's really a whole communications ecosystem. A Skype account can offer screen sharing, phone-card like calling with Skype to Go, Wi-Fi access in airports and other public places, even lessons in anything from a new language to relationships through Skype Prime. Mobile apps enable calling from PC-to-phone as well as PC-to-PC and smartphone-to-smartphone. Skype 5.3 even makes video calls between iPhones and Android phones possible. And don't forget there are Linux and Mac versions, as well as HDTVs that come with Skype video calling—the number of possible combinations is staggering.

Skype's interface hasn't changed as drastically between versions four and five as it did between three and four, but it's both more polished and more capable. Setting up an account and installing the software is a breeze. You have to enter your country, language preference, e-mail, desired username, and password. A welcome screen gives you all the help you need to get fully set up with your webcam, mic, and address book. I had a webcam attached to my PC, and a message at the top of Skype's windows told me it was working. I could preview my video and take a snapshot.

Once you're logged in, a large window with a contact list on the left and Skype Home on the right appears. This right area is tabbed, letting you switch between Skype Home, Profile, and Facebook (see the slideshow). As in version four, you can split the interface into a more-traditional, narrow IM contact list and a separate larger window. But that larger window now has tabs for Skype Home, Facebook, Profile, and Feedback. Here you can view your Facebook newsfeed and post text-only updates. You can also call Facebook contacts if their phone numbers or Skype IDs are in their Facebook profiles. But the layout isn't as well presented as Windows Live Messenger's Facebook view and doesn't prioritize your news feed as the social network's own site does.

The new Skype Home tab of the larger side of Skype's window has its own social network update box and shows your contacts' thumbnails. You'll also see any alerts from the system here, along with help videos. When you start a call or video call the whole window is taken over for the video feed, call details, and IM chat on the bottom. Unfortunately, you can't use Skype for other IM accounts like AIM, Facebook, or MSN.

Adding Contacts
Privacy settings let you allow incoming calls from anyone, or restrict incoming calls to just people in your contact list. The same goes for video and screen sharing. But to be listed in another user's contacts requires mutual acceptances, à la Facebook. Speaking of Facebook, you can import contacts from that site, as well as from Hotmail, Gmail, Outlook, MSN, and more. Once you choose contacts to connect to, they'll receive a request in their Skype notifications, and if they accept, you'll always see their status and be able to call them. In earlier days of Skype, a SkypeMe mode let lonely souls connect, way before Chatroulette, but Skype has moved away from that model, probably for the best.

source
Feb 22nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Feb 22nd, 2012, 4:24 pm
Program: SciLor's grooveshark™.com Downloader v0.4.9.2c
Released here

Grooveshark is one of my favorite web service to search, listen and upload music. One can stream the music online but the site doesn’t give any option to download songs. There are some third party applications available to download the song but downloading is not hassle free as one have to copy the song URL to the tool.

SciLor’s grooveshark™.com Downloader is the latest tool that lets you batch download songs without any hassle. One nice thing about this tool is you don’t even need to go to Grooveshark site to search the song. This tool comes with inbuilt search tool that searches songs from Grooveshark and displays it on its interface. This is a step by step guide to download songs free using this free app.

The tool comes in zip file. Extract the files on your computer and click on the file having blue icon to run the tool. Don’t tamper other files because they support this software while it runs.

When you open the tool you’ll see a interface divided into two parts. Left part has a search box and a large empty box and right part has search button and Popular songs button. You can search for music by two methods. First type the name of song in the search box and hit the “Search” button. Second way is to click on “Popular Songs” button.

Name of songs will appear on the left box. You can notice the check box given next to song titles. Decide the song you need to download and check the boxes next to them. After checking all the boxes, click on the “Add to Download List” button.

All the songs you checked will appear on the right box. To download those songs, click on “Download” button given below.

Your download will start immediately. You can see the progress in the progress bar. After song finishes downloading, its name automatically disappears from the list one by one.

Note: By default all the downloaded songs save inside the location where you installed the program, i.e. C drive. To change the location click on the Settings given on the menu bar. Cheng the default location by clicking the “Select Directory” button. After selecting the location, click on Save button.

That’s how you can download songs free of cost using this songs downloading tool. Overall this is easy to use, hassle free and fast song downloading software for the music lovers.

source
Feb 22nd, 2012, 4:24 pm
Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:14 am
Program: FotoSketcher v2.25
Released here

FotoSketcher provides users with a simple tool for re-imagining their photos as handmade drawings. While the program provides easy controls and a lot of flexibility, nobody will mistake the results for actual art.

This program is very simple, especially if users have prior experience with drawing and photo-touching software like Paintbrush or Photoshop. The controls mimic those programs with their simplicity and logical progressions. Users having any difficulties will find an informative Help file that walks people through the process. Converting our pictures was easy. Once we selected a photo to work with from our own hard drive, we were shown a screen featuring a pull-down menu to select pencil drawing style, pen and ink, or painting, along with several faders for adjusting color and intensity. A small preview box updated each time a selection was made saved time and effort. The results will look familiar to anyone who has used photographic filters on similar software. While the shots look different and drawn, they will never pass for real pencil sketches. However, for users seeking that computerized look, they are still fun and the changes quickly applied. Special features that helped improve this program included the option to batch process multiple photos at once and the ability to apply text to a photo with point-and-click simplicity.

While the results don't look like a professional artist redid your photos, this freeware program is simple and fun for anyone not expecting huge artistic changes.

source

"Turn your digital photos into pencil sketches in seconds”

FotoSketcher is probably the fastest and easiest way to transform your pictures into beautiful sketches – even if you’re artistically challenged.

FotoSketcher helps you add some spice to your photos without much fuss. The program includes dozens of drawing styles to apply, which are easily customizable by using sliders to configure color, contrast, stroke intensity and other parameters.

All you need to do is open the image you want to convert into a sketch and select the drawing effect you want to apply. The preview window, though a bit too small, lets you check the result before clicking the "Draw!" button. FotoSketcher will then apply the effect and display the final image beside the original one, so that you can compare both. The program also lets you add a frame to your image.

FotoSketcher also includes basic editing tools to modify the source image, supports skins to customize the program’s interface, and can work in batches with several photos at the same time.

FotoSketcher is the perfect tool for those who want to apply a nice sketch effect to their pictures but don’t dare use Photoshop.

Pros
    Extremely easy to use
    Results in just a few seconds

Cons
    No options to tweak light or color

source
Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:14 am
Feb 23rd, 2012, 2:42 pm
Program: Autoruns for Windows v11.21
Released here

There are few things more frustrating that an unwanted program that launches every time you start your computer, especially when the normal means of preventing this from happening--like checking for it in the Startup folder--don't work. What's worse is when numerous unneeded and invisible processes launch, slowing down both start-up and your computer's performance as a whole. AutoRuns is a simple program that lets users view--and disable--everything that runs on startup, saving both time and irritation.

The program's interface is a little cluttered, with 17 tabs that display the various programs and processes that run on startup. These are separated into categories, such as Print Monitors, Codecs, Windows Explorer, and so on, and there's also a tab that shows everything. Disabling an unwanted process is as simple as unchecking the box next to it. AutoRuns lets users optionally hide Windows entries or Windows and Microsoft entries, helping to prevent users from disabling critical processes. For the most part the program was quite easy to use, but novices may feel a little nervous about messing around with unfamiliar processes. We had hoped that the program's Help file would provide some guidance on this front, but we were disappointed to find that although there is a built-in Help file, none of its contents would load. This is the only significant drawback to AutoRuns, and users who are already comfortable in this arena should find that AutoRuns meets their needs just fine. Beginners will likely want to do some research before they start making too many changes.

AutoRuns comes as a ZIP file and is accessible after extraction with no need for installation. We recommend this program to all users. - source

Pros
    Displays every process that launches automatically, with option to reversibly disable. Can link to Systinternal's own Process Monitor app. Comparison with saved configuration reveals newly-installed startup items.

Cons
    Unwise disabling of startup items can destabilize Windows. Doesn't restore state after switching to "Run as Administrator."

Bottom Line
    Autoruns 9 reveals every single program and process that launches automatically on your computer. It's especially useful for detecting malware, since almost every malicious program needs some way to launch automatically. Do be careful disabling startup items; you could destabilize Windows. - source
Feb 23rd, 2012, 2:42 pm
Feb 23rd, 2012, 5:43 pm
Program: Double Driver v4.1
Released here

View which drivers are installed in your system and you can backup the drivers you choose, save and print the drivers list.

Double Driver is a system tool that you can use to detect, backup and restore the drivers of your computer. It is basically a security measure in case these files become corrupted, infected, or if they are accidentally removed.

This is a portable product, so that means there is no installation kit you can run. Simply extract the archive and run the program. It also means that you can store it on an external device and use it on any computer.

The user interface is minimalistic, but it has all the elements this type of software needs.

When you scan the current system, drivers will be immediately displayed (you also have the possibility of scanning another system if you run the program as administrator).

The backed up files can be a structured folder (default), a compressed folder (zipped), or a single file self extract (executable). Once you choose the destination directory, press Ok, and Double Driver will start processing the information.

Several short minutes later, the operation should be a success.

Restoring the respective drivers is done in the same manner. After you locate the backup, Double Driver will bring forth an installation wizard, where restoration takes place.

It's recommended you don't leave the computer at this point, because you might need to confirm some actions. The time it took to restore drivers was even shorter than their backup, and we haven't encountered any errors (all drivers were "ready to use").

In addition, you can save the list of scanned drivers as a text document, as well as print it. CPU and memory resources are fairly used, so your operating system should work normally while Double Driver is processing information.

In conclusion, this small and yet highly effective piece of software proves to be very reliable for your Windows drivers, and you definitely need to get a copy for safe-keeping. Plus, it's free!

source
Feb 23rd, 2012, 5:43 pm
Feb 23rd, 2012, 7:54 pm
Program: Device Doctor v2.0
Released here

Device Doctor is a freeware Windows application that scans your computer hardware and checks to see if there are new driver updates available for your devices. It also locates drivers for Unidentified Devices in the Windows Device Manager. This tool was designed to be very simple and easy to use.

Device Doctor Features:

1) Device Driver Database
      - Provides drivers for most computer hardware and device manufacturers
      - More than 3 terabytes (3,000 GB) of drivers currently in the database
      - We cache all drivers so downloads are quick and work every time
      - Fast hardware scan takes mere seconds

2) Consistent Updating
      - Constantly updated to include new driver versions as soon as released
      - Every driver is human reviewed using specialized compatibility tools
      - Learns from other users as it recommends better drivers every day

3) Future-proof with Windows 7 and 64-bit Support
      - Designed for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7
      - Thousands of drivers coming in weekly for Windows 7
      - Full support for 64-bit systems, as well as 32-bit systems

4) Several new features:
      - Provides device names for unknown devices before updating drivers
      - Can be used offline: scan results are saved so you can move them to a connected computer and download there
      - Updates WHQL (Microsoft certified) and non-WHQL drivers

Yes, it is completely free with no adware or malware!

Program Release Status:
    New Release

Program Install Support:
    Install and Uninstall

System Requirements:
    Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (64-bit or 32-bit) & 10 MB Available Hard Drive Space
OS Support:
    Win7 x32, Win7 x64, WinXP, WinVista x64, WinVista

source
Feb 23rd, 2012, 7:54 pm
Feb 26th, 2012, 7:18 pm
Program: OpenOffice.org Portable v3.2.0
Released here

A credible rival to MS Office, OpenOffice.org includes powerful applications for making text documents, spreadsheets, presentations, diagrams, and databases, as well as HTML and XML documents. Not only does it let you edit basic documents, such as letters and faxes, it also handles equations and complex and multipart documents with bibliographies, reference tables, and indexes.

The interface is similar to that of MS Office, and even advanced Office users will find almost everything they're used to: templates, collaborative features (versions, recording changes), macros, and even a programming language. OOo, as it's known, lets you open and save documents in formats as diverse as MS Office formats, PDF, HTML, and XML. It can also import files from those formats, as well as WordPerfect and others. However, it normally saves files in the open-standard Oasis OpenDocument XML format, for maximum compatibility with other applications.

The latest versions of OpenOffice have seen a spurt of growth in the extensions available for the program. These include templates for professional writers, an export tool for bidirectional functionality with Google Docs, blog publishing, and others. Blog publishing assistance especially strikes us as a natural area for word processing to grow toward.

We were pleased to find that stability has improved too. No doubt about it, the multilingual and crossplatform OpenOffice.org is a compelling option for anyone in search of an alternative office suite.

source
Feb 26th, 2012, 7:18 pm
Feb 27th, 2012, 9:05 am
Program: Free YouTube to MP3 Converter v3.10.17
Released here

Description:
    Free YouTube to MP3 Converter download mp3 from all possible YouTube videos. This YouTube mp3 converter extracts audio from single YouTube videos as well as whole collections such as: complete playlists and show lists; users' channels; all videos from personal playlists (History, Liked, Favourites, Watch later); artist's playlists; videos from Movies Category; videos from Music Category; videos from YouTube charts; video responses.

Free YouTube to MP3 Converter combines simplicity of usage as well as advanced downloading features which you can set as you like: save original (non-converted) YouTube files; enjoy multistream downloading; customize output name easily; save and load links from external text files; save download history; import videos to iTunes automatically; download videos which require YouTube authorization via Firefox, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome; enable compatibility with screen reading software.

Review:
    The minor quibbles we have with Free YouTube to MP3 Converter have nothing to do with its functionality. This effective freeware is ready to go right out of the box, but can be easily customized by the user.

No effort has been made to dress up the program's utilitarian interface, which consists of seven large buttons, a few fields, and a drop-down menu. A plain text box advises users to paste URLs in the field, and this is all the onscreen guidance you'll need. Once you see the video title in the field, you click Download and the program goes to work. The process wasn't lightening quick, but considering the size of some of our test files, it wasn't bad. Converted files played without a hitch.

The beauty of this converter lies in its simple set up. By default, converted files are saved into the program's folder in My Documents, and they retain the name of the source video. The files are saved as MP3s, normal quality. These settings are easily changed, though, with quick-access buttons and a drop-down menu. The most work a user might have to do is fill out the fields in the optional Tags fields for artist, title, track, and other information.

Sadly, the program doesn't integrate with your browser, but you can opt to have it automatically pick up URLs from the clipboard, which eliminates one step from the cutting and pasting process. It also installs the Ask.com Toolbar and resets your home page to the Ask.com Web site by default, so if you don't want these extras, you'll have to uncheck some boxes during the installation process. These inconveniences are offset by the fact that this program is not only effective, it also costs nothing to use. We highly recommend Free YouTube to MP3 Converter for any user.

source
Feb 27th, 2012, 9:05 am
Feb 27th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Program: Image Resizer for Windows Pv. 3
Released here

Image Resizer Powertoy for Windows XP provides resized images with a few simple button clicks. Users should not expect fancy graphics or tutorials, but instead will find an intuitive feature that makes sizing much simpler.

The program's interface is very easy. All commands are performed via clicking a radio button to choose the size. There are a few other options, but all are presented the same way. The program provides no Help file, but is so easy to operate we are confident people will not need it. Users simply find a photo that they want to resize and right-click it. In the menu of options is one for resizing. Here a new menu appears with options to create a new size ranging from small, middle, large, or handheld PC. There is also a customized option where the user inputs the dimensions. Once this is selected, a resized copy of the photo is created instantly in the same folder as the original. We were pleased with how quickly and effectively this process happened. In addition to resizing, the program offers a feature that allows users to resize the original picture and not create a copy. We felt this was a considerate option for users without a lot of spare room on their hard drives.

With an incredibly simple interface and excellent results, this freeware program is a dream come true for users who have to resize on the fly.

source
Feb 27th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Feb 27th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Program: Thunderbird v10.0.2
Released here

Description:
    Mozilla Thunderbird makes e-mailing safer, faster, and easier with such features as intelligent spam filters, a built-in RSS reader, and quick search. Thunderbird was designed to prevent viruses and to stop junk mail. Thunderbird 3 includes tabbed e-mail, new search tools and indexing, smart folders, support for Firefox's Personas, a simplified setup wizard, and robust junk protections that include phishing and spam filters.

Review:
    Despite perceptions to the contrary, the desktop-based e-mail client is not dead. Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 is a serious reaction to the prevalence of Web mail, so whether you're looking for a strong desktop client, an Outlook replacement, or a powerful tool for managing archives and Web mail offline, Thunderbird can scale to your needs.

Outlook users will notice the speed and responsiveness of the program, which loads quickly, even when weighed down by multiple folders and RSS feeds, and the basic feature set remains intact: good junk mail filters, HTML support, multiple identities, and robust Web mail, POP, IMAP, and Microsoft Exchange server support. Security features include S/MIME, digital signing, message encryption, and a built-in phishing detector. Add-ons, based on the same code as Firefox's add-on network, can enhance your security even further.

Joining such useful features as the back and forward e-mail browsing buttons and customizable tags in version 3.0 are a set of must-have features. The powerful search tool integrates results with desktop searches on Windows Vista and Windows 7, while tabs reinforce the connections between Web browsing and e-mail reading. In fact, the new search tool is so powerful that if you have a massive number of e-mails, you may want to set it to index them overnight lest it drain system resources from other programs. Gmail support especially has been revamped, so you now get an All Mail folder in Thunderbird, among other improvements. Mozilla's new Personas skins work in Thunderbird, while the Lightning add-on supplies the missing Microsoft Exchange-compatible calendar feature.

Flexible, powerful, and lightweight, Thunderbird 3 is an appropriate companion to Firefox in every way.

source
Feb 27th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Feb 28th, 2012, 3:21 pm
Program: FileZilla
Released here

Takeaway: While FTP is quickly becoming an old standard, for those who still rely on it, FileZilla offers an easy, cross-platform client. Jack Wallen breaks it down in this review.

For some, the days of FTP are long gone. With the cost of drives so low as well as so many services moving to the cloud, the FTP server just seems to not be a necessity now. That, of course, is not a universal. There are plenty of situations that still call for a good “old fashioned” FTP session. And when you need to do FTP, you need a good client to handle the FTP session for you. One FTP client that stands above so many others is FileZilla. FileZilla is a cross-platform FTP client that is a perfect choice for the new and power user. (It is also a server. NOTE: Server is only available for Windows.) But does FileZilla have everything you need? Let’s drill down into this FTP client and find out.

System requirements
      • Linux: Built specifically for Debian but will work with just about any distribution. Recommended you install with your Add/Remove Software utility.
      • OS X: 10.5 or newer.
      • Windows: XP, Vista, or 7

Who’s it for?

If you have any need to transfer files back and forth to/from an FTP server you need to have the simplest client available and FileZilla might very well be that client. With an easy-to-use, drag-and-drop tabbed interface, FileZilla has next to no learning curve, but will be a welcome client for power users as well.

What problem does it solve?

FileZilla allows the user to quickly and easily transfer files to and from an FTP server with a drag-and-drop interface. And since FileZilla is cross platform (Windows, Linux, BSD, Mac) your users will feel at home no matter what platform they are using.

Key features
      • Easy to use drag and drop interface
      • Supports FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
      • Cross-platform
      • IPv4 and IPv6 support
      • Multi language support
      • Resume and transfer for files larger than 4GB
      • Tabbed interface
      • Site Manager/transfer queue