Jan 13th, 2024, 2:12 pm
Hi,

I bought some textbooks for my courses recently. I didn't realise it at the time but a couple of them require me to use the Glassboxx app to read them. The Glassboxx reader is pretty poor and I believe I should have the freedom to use whichever app I want to read the books I have purchased.

Glassboxx uses LCP (Readium) encryption and the Windows app seems to be built on top of Thorium. Most LCP implementations (like Thorium) require a user passphrase to decrypt and open the epub. Glassboxx uses a different approach however. They require you to enter the email you used during the book purchase and they then email you a verification code which you enter into the app to allow access to your books.

Unfortunately Glassboxx does not provide you with the user passphrase which would allow you to open the book on any LCP compliant reader. My assumption is that my user passphrase is passed from the Glassboxx front end to the Thorium backend which decrypts the file and that the user passphrase is stored locally by the Glassboxx app.

Does anyone know where the logged in user passphrase is stored by the Glassboxx apps (Windows, Mac or Android) or how to extract it?

Any help in liberating these books is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chali
Jan 13th, 2024, 2:12 pm