TITLE: Replay
AUTHOR: Ken Grimwood
GENRE: General Fiction
PUBLISHED: 7/22/1998
RATING: ★★★★★
PURCHASE LINKS: Amazon / Barnes&Noble
MOBILISM LINK: Mobilism

Review:
Now this, this is a BOOK. Replay is a book I could contemplate re-reading years from now. I don't know if I would go so far as to call it a classic, but it is good!

Replay follows a man, Jeff, as he dies in his 40's and then awakens as himself 25 years ago in the past. The key is, though, that he's got all his memories intact. He gets to relive the most important part of his life all over again knowing what happened before. In fact, we soon realize that this "replay" is destined to continue happening everytime he reaches that day in his 40's, again and again. Each time he begins again he carries with him the knowledge of all his previous experiences.

You'll have many questions as you read. How do these "replays" work? Why are they occuring? Is anyone other than Jeff experiencing them? What actions could Jeff take that would affect the world as a whole? Some questions will be answered, some won't. Hardcore Sci-fi fans be warned, this isn't a book that focuses on the mechanics of time travel, it's a book that focuses on the human events and emotions that accompany it.

Many of us have wished for the chance to go back and change something in our past, to "replay" a period of time and make different choices. What if you could go back and catch the one that got away? What if you could bet on the World Series knowing in advance who wins? Jeff has these chances, again and again, but it doesn't always work out the way he plans.

The author transitions between periods of time rather abruptly at points, a way of writing I now believe to be very intentional, a way to convey some of the shocks Jeff experiences. Writing about some of the discoveries he makes would make it easier to do this review, but they'll be intentionally left out as I feel it could detract from the experience of reading the book.

What then can I tell you about why this book is such a good read? Well, it's not part of a series, nor does it end on a cliffhanger. It's not written to a formula, nor does it fit neatly into any one specific genre. In this case, these are all good things. While I often prefer books of the formentioned types, on the escapist side, this book drew me in anyway. To it's credit, even when the part of the book I was in was sad or melancholy, I felt a draw to open it once again and continue reading.

The ending is both difficult to predict and plausible. Authors don't always seem to combine the two well, but in this case it works. It leaves you with a bit of wonder about what happens next, while at the same time having a certain contentedness with where it leaves off.

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting a very good read that's a bit different from the mainstream. About the only one I wouldn't recommend it to is someone that's very rigid about what genres they read.

That said, I give it my first five star rating.
Oct 29th, 2012, 5:09 pm
Oct 29th, 2012, 5:59 pm
yay! Glad you liked the book. It's one of my favorites. Hopefully others will give it a try

Fun Fact 1: Groundhog Day was inspired by this book
Fun Fact 2: Ken Grimwood began writing a sequel (not that this book needs one) but died of a heart attack before he could finish
Oct 29th, 2012, 5:59 pm
Oct 29th, 2012, 6:18 pm
ptb4life wrote:yay! Glad you liked the book. It's one of my favorites. Hopefully others will give it a try

Fun Fact 1: Groundhog Day was inspired by this book
Fun Fact 2: Ken Grimwood began writing a sequel (not that this book needs one) but died of a heart attack before he could finish

I'm glad you requested the review.
Fun Fact 1 - I didn't know that, very interesting...
Fun Fact 2 - Talk about ironic... :(
Oct 29th, 2012, 6:18 pm
Oct 29th, 2012, 8:48 pm
hmorphone wrote:
Now this, this is a BOOK. Replay is a book I could contemplate re-reading years from now. I don't know if I would go so far as to call it a classic, but it is good!

I have read this multiple times!

At one point there were talks of a movie with Julia Roberts playing the female lead but that was a very long while ago.
Oct 29th, 2012, 8:48 pm
Oct 29th, 2012, 10:50 pm
Last I heard, Ben Affleck had acquired the rights to make the film. Considering the film maker he's become, that could make for an amazing movie....but that was at least a year or two and with no news since....so maybe that project is dead.
Oct 29th, 2012, 10:50 pm
Nov 25th, 2012, 12:54 am
One of my favorite time travel books. Now I'll have to read it for the nth time.
Nov 25th, 2012, 12:54 am
May 13th, 2013, 2:23 pm
Best time travel book Ive read.
May 13th, 2013, 2:23 pm
Oct 9th, 2013, 4:48 am
Your review helped remind me of Grimwood's creativeness in approaching time travel as an intensely personal affair.

Check your analytical facilities at the door if you're a hard SF fan, but DO read it.
Oct 9th, 2013, 4:48 am
Oct 10th, 2013, 1:59 am
Wow.. book sounds interesting.
Oct 10th, 2013, 1:59 am
Oct 28th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Agree with previous comments, brilliant book.
Oct 28th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Oct 28th, 2013, 4:47 pm
Wonderful book, and a very nice fellow. I wrote him to gush about Replay when I first read it in hardcover, and he wrote back a very nice thank-you letter. Darn shame he died before he could write more: only six books, most out-of-print. If anyone has scans of the other five, I'd love to see them crop up here. They are:

Breakthrough (1976)
Elise (1979)
The Voice Outside (1982)
Into the Deep (1995)
Two Plus Two (as Alan Cochran) (1980)
Oct 28th, 2013, 4:47 pm
Nov 20th, 2013, 10:10 pm
the title 'Replay' itself has brought me to the forum :-)
Nov 20th, 2013, 10:10 pm

www.extasybooks.com
Nov 26th, 2013, 4:19 pm
I just read this a couple weeks ago. I thought it was pretty good - I agree with OP that while it's a fun read, I'm not sure it's a classic.

You know how in time travel stories the hero always makes money betting on sporting events and stuff? I would be totally unable to do that. I know zero sports outcomes. I would suck at traveling back in time.
Nov 26th, 2013, 4:19 pm
Dec 22nd, 2013, 10:13 pm
iamted wrote:Best time travel book Ive read.

Have to agree with you there, great read.
Dec 22nd, 2013, 10:13 pm
Feb 24th, 2014, 11:48 pm
Not my type of book I usually read, but I liked it :) I recommend :)
Feb 24th, 2014, 11:48 pm